REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:22 PM   #1426
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,198 Times in 7,171 Posts
I think Bill Morneau is the worst single piece of the liberal party. He was the number one reason I didn't want to vote liberal last election.
(I know you posted the video based on whoever that wiener was from the cons.)
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2020, 01:27 PM   #1427
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
So we essentially agree on all points here, outside of laying total blame on Trudeau.

I stand by my stance here, I get it, you hate Trudeau, and are unwilling to objectively look at this.
First of all I'm not some hardcore Conservative loyalist, in fact I'm very middle of the road. I look at everything objectively. I think a lot of what the Conservative party does is poor but pales in comparison to the crooked cabinet and leadership of the current Liberal party.

To summarize your argument, yes to an extent I believe each province does need to control their own fates in many regards. The needs of BC and its citizens are totally different from that of the Yukon, just like people in Labrador have different needs from those in Saskatchewan. I've lived/worked in every province from Quebec west and seen a lot of the cultural, economic, and social differences we have in our country. However similar the cannabis argument may be to individual state issues in the US what the current Liberals did was change Federal law. They had the opportunity to make a blanket change to the entire country. Good leadership is able to work with those who have opposing views, negotiate, investigate, come to logical conclusions, and act on them. The Liberals had the opportunity to do this and they fumbled it because they lack leadership and professional accountability from the PM and Cabinet, and they tried to do it way too fast.

Trudeau's government "task force" came up with a 106 page report on recommendations for provincial governments barely a year after he was sworn in as PM. The recommendations were for consideration and were non-binding. I haven't read through all that documentation but I bet someone could write a 106 page report on just the illegal drug trade let alone its social and economic impacts in every province in Canada. He wanted it legalized just 18 months later. That is not enough time for the federal government or all the provincial governments to truly understand the drug market they were trying to change. That's not enough time for the legal medicinal industry to react and create a legal recreational industry to meet demand. That's not enough time for anyone to forecast and control how it will all come together and overcome the contentiousness of the issue and ensure the process and the law is done right and universally accepted as much as possible. They rushed it and it's a failure.

There's a lot more to it but the results speak for themselves. Company stock pump and dumps, tax nightmares, banks unwilling to support the cannabis industry, legal dispensaries are a joke, unlicensed dispensaries continue to be raided, organized crime is alive and well. Cannabis is legal woohoo!! Yet the real world result is that nothing has changed in our day to day lives except a lot of people lost a lot of money and the industry is failing. A friend of mine hasn't been paid by her employer for almost six weeks as the company goes under, and she's one of the employees that didn't get laid off with no notice or severance.

I would shit on the politician of any party that did this bad a job of a milestone legislation. The Liberal party as a whole BLEW IT on cannabis. They certainly aren't worthy of any praise for legalization outside of the fact that they did it, and the industry isn't the envy of anyone nor did it make any waves socially or economically for us as a country like Manic wanted people to believe with his made up stats. Made up so he could try and shit on a Conservative politician. That's how we got on this topic to begin with, I actually couldn't give a shit about the cannabis industry but I'll call total bullshit when I see it.

On a different topic, Idiocracy has become a documentary. Not only was the originator of this tweet so fucking stupid he couldn't do basic math, but he didn't think to pick up a calculator and double check his grade 1 level arithmetic. Even worse is that so many people picked up on it and re-tweeted it that it made it to mainstream news. And then a news station, anchor, and an editorial board member of the New York Times all praised its accuracy. This level of complete idiocy surprises even me. With a voting public this stupid it's no wonder we have 'leaders' like Trump and Trudeau.

https://twitter.com/BadEconTakes/sta...746793472?s=20

Last edited by JDął; 03-06-2020 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Grammar fail
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2020, 01:49 PM   #1428
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
For someone who thought about running for the con party leadership, it's pretty weak he has comments turned off on his youtube page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OonaaZys2fw
What's wrong with the ministers questions? What's weak is the fact that Trudeau and Morneau looked stupid by not answering them and deflecting as usual. You want accountability from the critic but not the people in charge? No wonder you support these guys, they're the pros you aspire to be! You probably think 500/327=153 too.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #1429
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,401 Times in 3,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
What's wrong with the ministers questions? What's weak is the fact that Trudeau and Morneau looked stupid by not answering them and deflecting as usual. You want accountability from the critic but not the people in charge? No wonder you support these guys, they're the pros you aspire to be! You probably think 500/327=153 too.
Nothing wrong with the question. But why does he have comments turned off on youtube? What is he scared of?
Old 03-06-2020, 09:20 PM   #1430
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Another multibillion dollar project shelved due to "political instability".
I wonder how many more it would take for the bloc to support a no confidence vote.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ject-1.5486517

Quote:
Warren Buffett's investment company Berkshire Hathaway has decided not to invest $4 billion in a liquefied natural gas (LNG) plant by the Saguenay port.

The marine terminal to ship LNG to overseas markets is slated to be built roughly 230 kilometres northeast of Quebec City, at a cost of $9.5 billion.

The decision by Berkshire Hathaway, which represents a major blow to the project, was first reported by La Presse Thursday and later confirmed by Radio-Canada.

Stéphanie Fortin, head of communications for the company behind the project, GNL Québec, said the company had lost a significant potential investor, but did not want to say who it is.

She did say, however, that the company lost the investor because of the "current Canadian political context."

She said with "instability" in the last few weeks, such as ongoing rail blockades, foreign investors are getting nervous.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2020, 09:56 PM   #1431

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
27 train cars derailed, petroleum coke spilled in creek east of Prince George, CN says
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...pill-1.5488557
I wonder how many PG Jacks had their ears perk up thinking there was a train full of black gold and nose candy?

On a more serious note, I sure hope this isn't related to the recent terrorist activities tied to the pipeline protests.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:26 PM   #1432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
27 train cars derailed, petroleum coke spilled in creek east of Prince George, CN says
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...pill-1.5488557
I wonder how many PG Jacks had their ears perk up thinking there was a train full of black gold and nose candy?

On a more serious note, I sure hope this isn't related to the recent terrorist activities tied to the pipeline protests.
Calling them terrorists is a stretch. If they where white ranchers you whould be calling them heroes and would be supporting them.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:17 AM   #1433
Banned By Establishment

People who are derailing trains are terrorists. Full stop.

Quote:
(b) an act or omission, in or outside Canada,

(i) that is committed

(A) in whole or in part for a political, religious or ideological purpose, objective or cause, and

(B) in whole or in part with the intention of intimidating the public, or a segment of the public, with regard to its security, including its economic security, or compelling a person, a government or a domestic or an international organization to do or to refrain from doing any act, whether the public or the person, government or organization is inside or outside Canada, and
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...6/page-13.html

We just need a couple hundred people to die from these eco terrorists for our useless government to do anything.

JT has got to be the biggest idiot in Canadian politics history. I cannot believe people voted for him TWICE. However, one in five who could vote in the country came out in support of him despite the previous, miserable four years on which to judge his juvenile, two face behaviour. Two in five of those who could vote, opposed him. He won. This is Canada now.

Thank Torontonians when you see them, I hope they get what they deserve. High cost of living, the Coronavirus and a massive influx of immigrants that bring in their wretched religions with them. Have you been to Brampton lately? #diversityisourstrength

The USA is looking better and better everyday.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #1434

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
People who are derailing trains are terrorists. Full stop.

The USA is looking better and better everyday.
Not a single train has been derailed. You need to stop lying. You should move to the states too bad you probably wouldn't get in.

So when are you moving?

Last edited by Manic!; 03-07-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:06 PM   #1435
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Not a single train has been derailed. You need to stop lying.
Get help. Take your Port Place mall tree homeless with you.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:16 PM   #1436
I STILL don't get it

edit.

Last edited by wreck; 03-07-2020 at 09:05 PM.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:46 PM   #1437

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
Get help. Take your Port Place mall tree homeless with you.
When are you moving?
Old 03-09-2020, 10:32 AM   #1438

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
I think at this point it would be irresponsible to deny that we are/will be facing a severe recession.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ices-1.5490535

Quote:
Oil prices dropped dramatically on Monday with North American stock markets briefly halted shortly after opening — and Canadian energy companies were sold off, hard.

As of early Monday, Suncor had lost more than 25 per cent of its value and Cenovus was down by almost half.

At the heart of the sell-off is concern over a global economy reacting poorly to the coronavirus outbreak and a battle between two energy heavyweights: Russia and Saudi Arabia.

On Friday, OPEC tried to get Russia to agree to production caps in order to stabilize oil prices. When Russia refused, Saudi Arabia opened the taps, increased supply and contributed to the price crash.

North American stock markets were halted shortly after opening on Monday morning as circuit breakers designed to slow down panic selling kicked in within minutes.

The NYSE, Nasdaq and TSX all hit what's known as a level 1 trading halt within minutes of opening. Such a halt automatically suspends all trading on the market for 15 minutes when there's been a decline of more than seven per cent.

A level 2 halt automatically kicks in after a decline of 13 per cent, for another 15 minutes. If the decline hits 20 per cent, a level 3 halt shuts down trading for the rest of the day.

The TSX lost more than 1,400 points, or eight per cent, within minutes of opening, so the Canadian index's circuit breaker was triggered. That's the worst day for the TSX since the financial crisis.

The trading halts were lifted 15 minutes after being implemented and the selling continued both in the U.S. and Canada — although not by enough to implement a level 2 halt, so far.

Crude price dropped more than 25%
The panic started on Sunday evening after Saudi Arabia kicked off the all-out price war in the oil market.

That move sent the price of crude tumbling more than 25 per cent, and came on top of existing fears over the novel coronavirus currently spreading around the world.

West Texas Intermediate crude fell as low as $27.38 US a barrel before rallying to $32 by noon MT. The international benchmark Brent fell $12 to $33.20 on Monday morning.

Western Canadian Select had plummeted, and was sitting at $20.69 US a barrel around noon MT on Monday.

It was the largest single-day drop since the beginning of the Gulf War in 1991.

Demand for energy is falling as people cut back on travel around the world. The worry is that the coronavirus outbreak will slow economies sharply, meaning even less demand.

'Batten down the hatches': Oilpatch braces as prices plummet
"We're seeing the outcome of a one-two punch in terms of a demand shock from the coronavirus … and on top of that this weekend's news of a price war started after the breakdown of OPEC plus Russia arrangements," said Blake Shaffer, an assistant professor of economics and public policy at University of Calgary.

Shaffer said the demand-side drop was expected but the more recent development of a price war is a supply-side issue that's hammering the market.

A 'nuclear-sized event' for Alberta
The oil market has seen arguments like this before. In 2014, OPEC held off production cuts in order to hold onto market share in the face of a resurgent U.S. oil industry. That led oil to tumble from over $100 US a barrel to below $40 by 2015.

But experts say this drop is much more dramatic.

"This is a really big move. I was an energy trader for 15 years. I don't have all the daily moves in my head, but this would definitely be one of the biggest ones I've seen," Shaffer said.

Martin Pelletier, a portfolio manager with Trivest Wealth Council in Calgary, said this is a "nuclear-sized event" for an already-hurting Alberta, and if not contained, the economic malaise could spread to the rest of the country.

"This could be the knock-out punch for Alberta, unfortunately," Pelletier said, adding that some companies might not survive the hit.

"We're going to really need to see some leadership coming out of Ottawa, and I mean both the Bank of Canada and [Prime Minister Justin] Trudeau and the government … This is a crisis; this is a very serious event."

Pelletier said he'd like to see both a large fiscal spending program tailored to impacted provinces and an emergency rate cut.

Trudeau, premiers to talk coronavirus and blockades at first ministers' gathering
Coronavirus impact on global economy may jeopardize Alberta's balanced-budget plans: Kenney
The Alberta government's recent spring budget forecasts WTI will average $58 US a barrel in the coming year, and Shaffer said this is bad news both for the economy as a whole and for the province's royalty revenues.

"Roughly every dollar [per barrel] is about $350 million to the government … We're talking about a $7 billion decline in revenue expectations," he said, adding that about $2 billion is made up from the improved differential and the Canadian dollar, so the net hit would be about $5 billion.

Some experts are predicting even lower numbers could be on the way.

Ali Khedery, a former Exxon adviser and now CEO of strategy firm Dragoman Ventures, tweeted "$20 oil in 2020 is coming" after news broke of Saudi Arabia's plans to hike production.

Shaffer said seeing such a wide difference in price forecasts after the province's budget dropped just weeks ago makes a strong case for the government to change how royalty revenues are budgeted and push for further economic diversification.

"If this is prolonged, you'll see continued job layoffs and effects on families. One of the really important things I'll stress is having an economy that isn't dependent on the outcome of a price war between the Saudis and the Russians …. I hope it's yet another wake-up call in terms of the efforts to diversify our economy," he said.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #1439
Banned By Establishment

Adapt or die.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:08 PM   #1440
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
if you don't have the skills or balls to short, then cash is king. just like it was 11 years ago.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:18 AM   #1441
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

https://ca.reuters.com/article/busin...idCAKBN21E2EW\
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #1442

Old 04-10-2020, 11:10 PM   #1443
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,356 Times in 975 Posts
i don't understand what the hate is.
Recession 100%. No doubt about it. Tell me 5 countries who's still going to have a great year or at least at 0% at the end of 2020, I'll be super surprised.
Only "country" doing sort of good is Hong Kong and Taiwan, but heck, they are only an island so who the fuck cares right....

Everyone's complaining about gay ass packages... What do you expect the gov't to do...nothing?
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:46 AM   #1444
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
sooooooo in order to pay for CERB/SMB loans...we're gonna have to make a deal with the devil

what in the fuck

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...193841254.html
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2020, 03:15 PM   #1445
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
sooooooo in order to pay for CERB/SMB loans...we're gonna have to make a deal with the devil

what in the fuck

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...193841254.html
Moist trudeau bucks don't just grow on trees. Can't print fake money forever.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #1446
HELP ME PLS!!!

I think in the CERB bill that got passed, there were provisions to let the government raise taxes without very much process to legislation. So essentially, we're going to get tax raises in the next few years.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #1447
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
I think in the CERB bill that got passed, there were provisions to let the government raise taxes without very much process to legislation. So essentially, we're going to get tax raises in the next few years.
Where did you hear/read about this? Because its nowhere to be found in Bill C-13 (CERB bill) https://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/e...ent#ID0E03C0AA
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:10 AM   #1448
HELP ME PLS!!!

It was in the draft of the bill

https://globalnews.ca/news/6720551/j...-support-bill/
Old 04-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #1449
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
It's not a majority government anymore, that tax raise was rejected by opposition.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #1450
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
The Liberals tried to sneak it in and the opposition parties rightly fought it and had it removed. Minority government doing its job.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote