REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:18 AM   #1676
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
bro it isnt free.

i duno how much CRA people get paid but its prob at least 30-40 bux an hour right?

think about how much that would cost. how long the audits would take. they'd be spending more money trying to get back that money.

more than 6 million people applied.
i'm sure they could contract it out for much cheaper, or hire a temporary task force. even if one person caught one person every week that would pay their wages easily.
Advertisement
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:39 AM   #1677
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,359 Times in 5,657 Posts
Quote:
bro it isnt free.

i duno how much CRA people get paid but its prob at least 30-40 bux an hour right?

think about how much that would cost. how long the audits would take. they'd be spending more money trying to get back that money.

If we’re just going to throw money around might as well go after the cheats

As I said in the previous post, 5% of cheats over the 6 months is almost 2.5 billion. I’m sure in the end it would be profitable to audit
Old 07-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #1678
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
$2.5B / 6M applicants = $416/audit to break even. You'd need to be getting back at least half to make it worthwhile so $200/audit. That's not a lot to work with if you're paying $30-40/hr in labour + overhead costs.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:16 AM   #1679
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,911 Posts
Should be able to contract it out for $18-22/hr, not really that complex work.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:30 AM   #1680

PM's mother Margaret and brother Alexandre were both paid to speak at WE Charity events

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mar...rity-1.5643586
Old 07-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #1681
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,586 Times in 1,726 Posts
Quote:
bro it isnt free.

This. When people say "why don't they enforce it", they are not taking into the account the hiring and staffing costs at the CRA in order to accommodate such an administrative process to conduct the means testing required.

Besides, I'm sure quite a few people are going to get ass fucked come 2021 tax time if they did in fact cheat the system.
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:36 PM   #1682

I'm sure they can automate a script to flag people who do not qualify based on the data that they collect, and then only review the flagged accounts.

It's not like they have to manually check each and every single application.

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #1683
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,359 Times in 5,657 Posts
Agreed. Even a very basic check of whether or not this name and SIN is associated with a T4 during this period would be enough.

However, like I said, the incompetence of the govt. is such that you can’t ever rely they could figure that out
Old 07-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #1684
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Very good point. They really only need to hire a software company that deals with algorithms and such. I mean, my phone knows when I’m thinking of ordering pizza, it should be able to figure out if I’m committing EI fraud.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #1685

^ just contract google to do it ... Google probably has that data already, just gotta mine it.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2020, 06:07 PM   #1686
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
And at what cost?

A good and functional algorithm running on a system capable of running such massive data in decent speed is easily a billion dollars project. Unless we are planning some sort of ubi and need a system to prevent cheating in the long run, spending billions in hope to “recover” billions, not accounting for wage and other soft cost of such system is a waste of public funds.

I’d rather believe that the vast majority of Canadians are acting in good faith, direct that efforts to catch tax cheaters trying to rig millions of dollars than going after regular Joe for a few thousand dollars.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:40 PM   #1687

Having dealt with a massive amount of headache fixing a gov't mistake that never would've happened if they had data properly connected on their end I highly doubt anyone would be able to just "make a script" to do it.

Not to mention the complexities of software development. Just because you can describe it in a sentence doesn't mean it will be simple to execute correctly.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #1688
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
I think you just accept that there is going to be some level of inefficiency in a system like that.

I think eventually, the project will still be a net "benefit" because of all the unknown benefits that it prevented.

Prevent someone from declaring bankruptcy and becoming alcoholic/substance user to drown the pain - Save on the health system
Prevent someone from taking on shady jobs that are underpaying and unsafe - Save on potential worksafe admin/heath system
Prevent a single mom from choosing between groceries and sending their kids to swimming lessons etc - Child grows to become a more functional part of society

ETC ETC. Maybe its the optimist in me. The massive deficit is definitely concerning though, but what world economy isn't running on a deficit these days. Who's actually collecting?
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #1689

Just give WE $500M to do the audits for CERB cheaters!
Old 07-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #1690

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
It's fraud.
The purpose of law isn't to turn profit. It's to keep society functional.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:46 PM   #1691
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,458 Times in 5,117 Posts
What you guys think of the police chiefs announcement about legalizing personal amounts of drugs?

I was laughing at all the dudes on some Facebook posts "SPOT THE LIBERAL CUCKS! ENOUGH SOFTNESS THROW EM IN JAIL!"

Lololol it's a bunch of cops saying it ffs! Nevermind the fact the current system is not some liberal soft system lol... it's a jailing system... and it hasn't worked for 100 years? Maybe time to change to a community based approach? Think of the long-term gains for a change?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2020, 10:46 PM   #1692
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,818 Times in 8,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
What you guys think of the police chiefs announcement about legalizing personal amounts of drugs?

I was laughing at all the dudes on some Facebook posts "SPOT THE LIBERAL CUCKS! ENOUGH SOFTNESS THROW EM IN JAIL!"

Lololol it's a bunch of cops saying it ffs! Nevermind the fact the current system is not some liberal soft system lol... it's a jailing system... and it hasn't worked for 100 years? Maybe time to change to a community based approach? Think of the long-term gains for a change?
Decriminalizing personal drug use... They're about 30 years too late, but better than never I guess.

Following America's "war on drugs" fucked up most of the rest of the world. The war is over - drugs won

Now it's time to treat people who need treatment, not just turn them into lifelong criminals for it.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2020, 08:33 AM   #1693

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Having dealt with a massive amount of headache fixing a gov't mistake that never would've happened if they had data properly connected on their end I highly doubt anyone would be able to just "make a script" to do it.

Not to mention the complexities of software development. Just because you can describe it in a sentence doesn't mean it will be simple to execute correctly.
I get what you are saying, but at least everyone has a unique identifier (SIN), so combining/dumping key fields from multiple databases into a single collection zone for analysis (not talking about actual data integration between systems) should at least be doable, no? Yes, I realize some people may have more than 1 SIN so there is some added complexities in that.

Again this is for purposes of a high level CERB audit to flag people post-application, and not a full blown tax evasion algorithm or a real time alert at time of application.

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #1694

When you have a PM that bends the rules of ethics ... what do you expect?

#Raybouldf4PM
Old 07-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #1695

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
I get what you are saying, but at least everyone has a unique identifier (SIN), so combining/dumping key fields from multiple databases into a single collection zone for analysis (not talking about actual data integration between systems) should at least be doable, no? Yes, I realize some people may have more than 1 SIN so there is some added complexities in that.

Again this is for purposes of a high level CERB audit to flag people post-application, and not a full blown tax evasion algorithm or a real time alert at time of application.
In theory, yes it's doable. Many things are doable if you throw enough money and software developer tears at it. But aside from the technical aspect of it (sometimes software just isn't set up to let you export things in a useful format) the information being dealt with is confidential and the different databases are going to be under the authority of different organizations with different permissions to access the information so they can't just share it with whoever. In my case one department was able to rack up a bill under the assumption that I had income, but couldn't actually see what my income was. What they apparently could see was when I had a tax return, and for how much. So after several years of making no money, when I finally made some and had a tax return they took all of it and only then sent me a letter demanding payment for the rest of the bill I should never have had in the first place.

I might be completely wrong and it's already all available to one department and in compatible formats and all that jazz. But if that's how it is they'd likely already be doing it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #1696
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,389 Times in 1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
When you have a PM that bends the rules of ethics ... what do you expect?

#Raybouldf4PM
Fuck no, Jody "Can I speak to the ethics commissioner" Karen-Raybould can toil in obscurity for the rest of her career for all I care. This is based soley on her performance while Justice Minister.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:28 AM   #1697

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts

mckay has deleted this from his twitter.

Last edited by Manic!; 07-11-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-11-2020, 01:10 AM   #1698
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,458 Times in 5,117 Posts
^ Context? I don't know any of these groups he's talking about lol
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:29 AM   #1699

I knew it was just a matter of time before Manic! would post an assinine reply about some Conservative with some link to WE.

So was Peter McKay in the room when the government decided to award them the contract?

OK, I'm going to explain it once and I hope you get it through your thick skull. A critique of JT is NOT a vote for the Cons. It is possible to like some of the things that the Libs are doing and critique JT and prefer a different leader of the Libs. Nice that he was handed that job because of his privilege but he is proving over and over again that he is a lightweight with no substance.

You are so predictable ... cancel yourself please.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:30 AM   #1700

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
I found Manic's soulmate: