REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:12 PM   #1601
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog3k View Post
Maybe there will be a hockey school - I would seriously doubt this because of the small % of people playing professional hockey but maybe they start up and get no students and have to close. Maybe it'll be popular.

And no I don't think a 10 year old knows what exactly they want to do - so maybe there's a school that's similar to schools today where they teach certain general courses.

The point is, if there's a way to improve teaching and therefore learning, this is the best way. Let the people figure it out. The private sector is full of parents who want what's best for their kids.
Almost every kid in this country wants to play in the NHL or NBA. The problem is only a few make it. What are you going to do with all the kids who don't make but have no other skill because they went to a dedicated sports school? Kick them to the curb and let them be homeless?

FYI: Schools for hockey exist but they also still provide a regular education. St Georges in Van is one of them. It costs 50K a year.
Advertisement

Last edited by Manic!; 06-04-2020 at 11:17 PM.
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2020, 06:40 AM   #1602
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,015 Times in 1,911 Posts
This is classic profiling right here. We can all tell the assumptions behind your accusation of welfare. Look, I'm not a fan of welfare, he says some stupid shit, in fact I'm probably one of his top failers but to make an assumption like this by a mod is unacceptable unless you have proof. Then after you get called out for it, you still slip in an innuendo in your 'apology'.

Skinnydawg, you've disqualified yourself as a mod. Ban yourself for a week or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Why did Welfare start posting under a dupe account anyway? Is it because people stopped responding to the first one, knowing the kind of bad faith arguments that are constantly made?
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
As a mod, i must say I'm a little disappointed (though not surprised coming from you) that you'd float false statements like this knowing full well how easily you could disprove it.
Quote:
Sorry if I'm mistaken

But it's not that easy to prove it anyway, since most of the people here use the same ISP with non static IPs... Like RS could be one person trolling me and I wouldn't know it (though sometimes I wonder)
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #1603
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mar...rged-1.5600249
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #1604

Thanked 4,590 Times in 1,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
WTF is wrong with you? You intentionally use this photo of Harper in Indigenous dress as the article suggested ... out of context ??!! Harper was not making fun of Indigenous people (as Trudeau was in his blackface), the Indigenous tribe chiefs put that on him in a cultural ceremony. You tell people to move on and you pull this shit. You just discredited yourself completely.

From the CBC article that you linked:
"The chiefs chose to put a headdress on Harper and they brought in people from their faith and they coloured his face. It was all part of a cultural and religious ceremony," said Robert Jago a Montreal-based writer and a member of the Kwantlen First Nation.
Explain to me how I contradicted myself? Did you read my post? Harper donning indigenous garb is not racist whatsoever in my opinion, I understand his intent to pander.

Trudeau was not making fun of brown people when he donned the black-face either. Do you not recall when Conservatives had him tarred and feathered for wearing a Sari on his visit to India?

I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy of having an issue with a leader of a political party pandering to a demographic, but not having an issue when a leader from your party does the same.

Hence my comment of let's move on, the blackface was clearly never an issue to voters, yet Conservatives continue to beat a dead horse.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:09 PM   #1605

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
This is classic profiling right here. We can all tell the assumptions behind your accusation of welfare. Look, I'm not a fan of welfare, he says some stupid shit, in fact I'm probably one of his top failers but to make an assumption like this by a mod is unacceptable unless you have proof. Then after you get called out for it, you still slip in an innuendo in your 'apology'.

Skinnydawg, you've disqualified yourself as a mod. Ban yourself for a week or two.

This isn't the first time Bird was accused of that. I've said it numerous times myself, and there's definitive reasons to think that.

When Bird first showed up on this forum, his posts would be made in threads along with welfare written in a manner in which they appear to be the same person. The post times between them also seemed telling.

Revscene is certainly not thriving with new members coming on, and this has never been a political forum. Does it not seem convenient then that a new poster arrives, and his first posts on the forum are within political threads supporting right-wing ideas? You don't find that odd? Search his posts and you'll see exactly what I mean.

If the account isn't welfare's, I have no doubt it's a duplicate of someone on this forum.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #1606
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
A look at collective rights in Canada and the class system they create.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #1607
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
This isn't the first time Bird was accused of that. I've said it numerous times myself, and there's definitive reasons to think that.

When Bird first showed up on this forum, his posts would be made in threads along with welfare written in a manner in which they appear to be the same person. The post times between them also seemed telling.

Revscene is certainly not thriving with new members coming on, and this has never been a political forum. Does it not seem convenient then that a new poster arrives, and his first posts on the forum are within political threads supporting right-wing ideas? You don't find that odd? Search his posts and you'll see exactly what I mean.

If the account isn't welfare's, I have no doubt it's a duplicate of someone on this forum.
You have a problem with me because I don't agree with you. You're more interested in getting group consensus than discussing ideas for their merit. Pathetic.
birddog3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:05 PM   #1608

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog3k View Post
You have a problem with me because I don't agree with you. You're more interested in getting group consensus than discussing ideas for their merit. Pathetic.
I have a problem with you because I know you're a troll and carry a duplicate account here.

You ignored my question, you joined in 2018 and your first post on this forum was within a politics discussion, all of your subsequent posts have been as well.

Tell me, what brought you over to this forum? Do you post on other forums as well? Seems rather odd to be attracted to an obscure car enthusiast forum, simply to post right-wing rhetoric. So I ask you again, what brought you over to Revscene, and be honest, what was your previous/existing other account here?
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-17-2020, 07:41 AM   #1609

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Some Canadians have always been considered more important than others. It’s time to end that.

By
J.J. McCullough
Global Opinions contributing columnist
June 16, 2020 at 1:17 p.m. PDT
As conversations about racism and structural inequality consume the West, I was inspired to reread a 1992 speech by Pierre Elliott Trudeau, a former prime minister of Canada. Delivered at an event hosted by the activist magazine Cité libre in a Chinese restaurant in Montreal, Trudeau’s “Egg Roll Speech” (as it was sometimes known) was initially praised as enormously powerful but is now largely forgotten. I could find no trace of it online, so I uploaded a copy myself, scanned from a physical version (the “speech that rocked the country” proclaims the cover).

At the time, Canadians were being asked to vote on a package of constitutional amendments that would have, in Trudeau’s opinion, established collective rights for certain favored groups of Canadians, thereby creating what he called a “hierarchy of categories of citizens” sorted into six distinct classes. Trudeau feared the collective rights of the favored castes would be used to undermine the individual liberties of the rest.

Though the constitutional amendments were ultimately rejected by voters, it’s not difficult to argue that Trudeau’s feared system of “six categories” of citizen gradually became established practice in Canada anyway, through subsequent legislation, court rulings and general political pandering. Any contemporary effort to redress the structural, systemic or systematic inequalities dividing Canadians today must accordingly begin by acknowledging the degree to which institutionalized privileges, attention and sympathy for some types of Canadians over others define the modern Canadian reality.

Many state-driven inequalities among Canadians are justified by a doctrine that Canada is fundamentally a coalition of three “founding peoples” — the English, the French and the aboriginals. (In his speech, Pierre Trudeau identified French Quebecers, Anglo Quebecers, French Canadians outside Quebec and aboriginal Canadians as comprising the first three classes of citizens, with the other three being broad, miscellaneous groups containing everyone else.) The “founding peoples,” by virtue of their purported historic claims to Canada and their “unique cultures” forged by that history, comprise communities whose interests government allows and encourages to take priority over groups deemed less historic or less culturally “distinct.”

Contemporary Quebec is perhaps the most overt manifestation. Regardless of the party in power, the Quebec government understands itself to be primarily governing on behalf of its French Canadian majority, with an explicit mandate to protect that community. Quebec’s current administration has accordingly cut immigration and imposed clothing prohibitions on religious minorities who seek to interact with public services — all in the name of defending a particular francophone culture assumed to have superior worth.

If such chauvinism seems narrow-minded, it’s undeniably grounded in a long tradition of cultural insularity. To cite a particularly brazen example, until a 2015 “process” of renaming began, at least 11 place names in Quebec still contained the n-word. As Rachel Zellars, a black PhD student who lobbied for the renaming, told the National Post, an obsession with making the plight of the French Canadians the central focus of Quebec politics “eclipses the stories and histories and, really, the oppression of other people, like black people, in this province.”

The same could be said of indigenous Canadians, whose evermore institutionalized status as the victims of Canadian history can similarly obscure the distinct distress of other minorities in the country.

At present, Canada — like much of the world — is ostensibly focusing its attention on the discrete phenomenon of anti-black racism and violence. Yet many Canadian politicians have nevertheless felt the need to insert references to indigenous suffering in their speeches and tweets on the subject. A hierarchy is once again implied, in which black Canadians are not understood to possess a self-evidently important place in the Canadian story and must instead be affixed and analogized to a community that does.

Lumping together distinct racialized communities likewise ignores the possibility that supposedly similar groups may in fact have problematic histories among themselves that deserve addressing. For instance, in an important recent essay on the history of African enslavement in Canada, Natasha Henry, president of the Ontario Black History Society, writes of “enslaved Africans captured as spoils of war by Indigenous allies from raids conducted in the United States and sold or gifted to their Loyalist comrades when they transported them north.”

Canada is said to be in a self-reflective mood about inequality, with politicians across the spectrum readily acknowledging that racism and bigotry are “not just American problems” (a major concession, given Canada’s often knee-jerk culture of anti-Americanism). But having the fabled “difficult conversations” about institutionalized bias should also mean a willingness to examine the degree to which Canada failed to heed Pierre Trudeau’s 1992 warning about the dangers of prioritizing certain groups over others in an increasingly diverse country.

Proper introspection must include revisiting concepts such as “founding nations,” “official language communities,” “distinct societies” and any other philosophy that implies Canadians outside a narrow trifecta of cultures are forever destined to play a supporting role in a country that’s not really theirs.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...source=twitter

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 06-17-2020 at 07:57 AM.
Bouncing Bettys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:03 AM   #1610
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Some Canadians have always been considered more important than others. It’s time to end that.
Our Prime Idiot, ladies and gentlemen...

https://www.facebook.com/cdnpoli/videos/680559242068813
(I don't know or follow the original poster, just sharing the video)

Canada has never been more divided or in worse shape socially, economically, or politically. Not surprising given what people accept as "leadership" in this country in 2020 and it will not improve until this clown is out of office. Not just the PM's office, but government as a whole.
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:43 PM   #1611
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,818 Times in 8,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD¹³ View Post
Our Prime Idiot, ladies and gentlemen...

https://www.facebook.com/cdnpoli/videos/680559242068813
(I don't know or follow the original poster, just sharing the video)

Canada has never been more divided or in worse shape socially, economically, or politically. Not surprising given what people accept as "leadership" in this country in 2020 and it will not improve until this clown is out of office. Not just the PM's office, but government as a whole.
I respect your opinions highly

Who do you think would make a great leader for a Liberal government?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:32 PM   #1612

Looks like JT didn't get into 'the ring of honour' at the UN.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:56 PM   #1613

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Over three months and still no black box from the downed Ukrainian flight from Iran, which was promised months ago.
I believe it took little over one month to retrieve the black boxes from the air India bombing...
https://nationalpost.com/news/iran-t...crash-official
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-18-2020, 12:59 AM   #1614

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Over three months and still no black box from the downed Ukrainian flight from Iran, which was promised months ago.
I believe it took little over one month to retrieve the black boxes from the air India bombing...
https://nationalpost.com/news/iran-t...crash-official
And the cons completly fkd up the investagation. Thats why the killers are still walking the streets of the lower mainland today.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:22 PM   #1615

Does anyone think there will be a time when Canada's turfs this requirement that PM's speak fluent French?

Apparently the French portion of the Conservative leader debate was awful.

It's a part of Canadian government I've always had an issue with. The vast majority of Canadians speak English, to force a Prime Minister to have to speak fluent French shrinks the pool of possible candidates.

The UN operates fine with translators, there isn't a need to speak the language of every conceivable country, I really do think it's time for us to revisit that requirement here.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:00 PM   #1616
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Does anyone think there will be a time when Canada's turfs this requirement that PM's speak fluent French?

Apparently the French portion of the Conservative leader debate was awful.

It's a part of Canadian government I've always had an issue with. The vast majority of Canadians speak English, to force a Prime Minister to have to speak fluent French shrinks the pool of possible candidates.

The UN operates fine with translators, there isn't a need to speak the language of every conceivable country, I really do think it's time for us to revisit that requirement here.
There's no formal requirement for a PM to speak french. The do it so that they a hope of having any support in Quebec.

58% of the population speaks english as its mother tongue. That's not that "vast" of a majority.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 06-18-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2020, 08:06 PM   #1617

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
Whoops wrong button
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:52 PM   #1618

Jagmeet Singh calls the leader of the block racist and gets kicked out of parliament. He will not back down.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:43 PM   #1619

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
There's no formal requirement for a PM to speak french. The do it so that they a hope of having any support in Quebec.

58% of the population speaks english as its mother tongue. That's not that "vast" of a majority.
According to 2016 Census data, 86.2% of the population speaks English, 29.8% of the population speaks French, and 17.9% of the population speaks both English and French.

Mother tongue is irrelevant.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #1620
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
For a little local politics:

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/06...-stanley-park/

Quote:
Cars to be allowed through Stanley Park at reduced capacity after emergency meeting

“There were over 120 people, I think, signed up to speak to this [Thursday] night,” Barker says.

She estimates about 75 per cent of the people who had called in during the meeting were in favour of reopening two lanes of traffic through Stanley Park.
So an overwhelming number of the public came out to speak against just re-opening 1 lane of traffic, and these fxxkers ignored their opinion and did whatever they had intended to do anyway. This so called public consultation is nothing but a farce.

Of course, it isn't just the CoV Parks Board -- the whole CoV City Hall pretty much operates like that on all but the most trivial issues anyway.

And they wonder why voters fxxking hate them...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2020, 08:37 AM   #1621

What's the problem? It's a compromise, one lane for cars and one lane for bikes. It's not always the loudest wheel that squeeks that gets their way. There are bigger factors to take into consideration here. I think it's the perfect solution. Sometimes compromise is a good way forward.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #1622
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
I respect your opinions highly

Who do you think would make a great leader for a Liberal government?
Jody Wilson-Raybould. Professional, highly intelligent, experienced lawyer and Crown Prosecutor, and has proven given the events surrounding her tenure as Minister of Justice and Attorney General that she stands by her moral and ethical grounds, the law, and is not swayed by partisan politics and bullying. She does what's best for the country and its citizens: that's leadership Canadians can and should support.

Another "left" politician that I've always appreciated was Nathan Cullen. He was with the NDP and has left politics but the guy was a straight shooter. I don't know his whole history and I didn't agree with some of his policies (especially tone-deaf and useless ones like the BC Tanker Ban) but he always presented his arguments intelligently and was confident and articulate. I appreciated his candor.

Given the never before seen levels of corruption and total lack of personal and professional accountability occurring under the current Liberal government I have zero confidence in any of the primary cabinet ministers. As such none of them would ever get my vote for the PM's office, they all need to go.
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2020, 09:14 AM   #1623

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
On the topic of local politics, has anyone seen any of Kennedy Stewart’s press conferences or interviews? That guy is the biggest fucking crybaby I have ever seen. All he does is blame other people for the cities issues whether it’s the provincial government or federal, and dodges responsibility for anything. What’s the point in even having a mayor? Whether it’s VPD, transit, property tax, civic budget or anything. It’s absolutely pathetic.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2020, 09:18 AM   #1624

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Also, totally agree with Wilson raybould having made an excellent prime minister, but I’d also say Christya Freeland has been a strong voice in our international affairs and has commanded respect. It seems like she’s had a voice in most of the current liberal successes and hasn’t been at the forefront of the failures.
After the snc lavalin and blackface shit putting Wilson raybould in would have been the smartest thing the liberals could have done. Then they still would have won even if the cons had their shit together to provide any sort of threat.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #1625
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quick question -- would you rather have crybaby Stewart, or senile tone deaf McCallum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
On the topic of local politics, has anyone seen any of Kennedy Stewart’s press conferences or interviews? That guy is the biggest fucking crybaby I have ever seen. All he does is blame other people for the cities issues whether it’s the provincial government or federal, and dodges responsibility for anything. What’s the point in even having a mayor? Whether it’s VPD, transit, property tax, civic budget or anything. It’s absolutely pathetic.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote