REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:27 PM   #9051
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,356 Times in 5,656 Posts
Well then, since you haven’t ate out in close to a year restaurants must be just completely dead with no risk of transmission lol..

100% restaurants are essentially “uncontrolled” environments. Servers have to deal with literally everyone in the place not wearing a mask. They are exposed wayyyyy more than a Costco employee etc.

As I said previously, I’ve been dining out fairly frequently and to think servers and restaurant staff aren’t near the top of the list of exposure is absurd. The resty I went to one night the whole restaurant sang happy Birthday to a person in a group of 6 who were clearly part of another group of 6 obviously none of them from the same household. Bonnie is 100% on with her booze restrictions because when people start getting in the pocket you let your guard down. I’ll go have 6-7 drinks on a dining night out, by the end I’m ready to smoke a joint and keep going. As are seemingly the majority of weekend/night diners at popular restys.

Imo the provinces move to not prioritize restaurant staff is because they are not willing to admit that virtually every party dining is made up of mixed households. If it keeps the money flowing, it’s not a priority. Ie. “you can’t go outside with people from outside your household” yet golf courses are open and packed from dawn till dusk. But hey, da monies are there
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2021, 03:41 PM   #9052
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
panel of experts and powerful political luminaries from both Canada and the United States sounded the alarm Thursday about what they consider an urgent need to get serious about reopening the shared border

Quote:
some form of electronic system that would allow travellers to prove either that they have been vaccinated or that they are equipped with the antibodies that come from having contracted COVID-19.

Such a system would need to be science-based, engender public confidence, prioritize high-risk and low-risk travellers and include some form of preclearance mechanism to minimize border congestion.

"The main difference that we face now, in the wake of the pandemic, is that we're not, as we were after 9/11, looking for needles in haystacks," Bersin said.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/time-f...-say-1.5353185
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:19 PM   #9053
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,585 Times in 1,725 Posts
To not go out for dinner for 15+ months...

Sorry, not to make fun of you Sw0op, but that is wild. I've heard colleagues whining on Zoom meetings about not seeing their nieces/nephews or parents for over a year, and I just shake my head and laugh to myself.

Common sense seems to be a feature lacking these days. You are safe to go out for food, you are safe to mask up and see your parents on a patio/outside if you're that concerned about it.

I've seen my parents throughout this entire pandemic, they've come over to my house, and I've visited theirs. To them, they'd rather see me, then not. Any risk is worth it to them, that's not a problem between us.

To each his own though, get out there and support your favorite restaurant and their servers, sit down and have a damn meal already.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2021, 05:29 PM   #9054
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:42 PM   #9055
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
A comma would have helped me state it more clearly, but yeah. I’m butthurt, I’m not calling the grocery store staff butthurt. Those people absolutely deserve to get vaccines, as do the restaurant workers that are interacting with customers.
Quite frankly, no one gives a fuck if you haven’t gone out. People still are going out, which means servers are still interacting with people, as have your delivery drivers that have delivered to you, who also should be in that group.
As usual, here’s an example of someone using their personal experience over the actual basis of reality.
Also, lol at your transmission through packages. They aren’t delivering with their mouths.
The basis of this group of vaccinations is people who
A) work in close proximity to others
B) work directly with public who are not necessarily covered in PPE
C) people who can not work from home
It’s pretty cut and dry that restaurant workers/coffee shop/other hospitality workers fit in that category.
Considering that EATING is the only action where you are forced to remove the mask for long periods of time. I would like to think restaurant staff are near the top of the list. But alas... they weren't even included in the list at all which is absurd!
You don't ever need to pull down your mask when ringing in a pack of toilet paper at Superstore.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2021, 07:18 PM   #9056
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,186 Times in 239 Posts
To be completely honest the list of workers are all essential workers except the staff living on ski hills

When I say essential, I mean societal functions will be severely impeded if one on the list stopped working.

Restaurant workers are not essential workers, Restaurants are for entertainment/pleasure. Everyone still gets to live and function day by day if they stopped operating. I still do sympathize since they included workers on ski hills. By that logic, then restaurant workers should be included.

•first responders (police, firefighters, emergency transport)
•K-12 educational staff
•child care staff
•grocery store workers
•postal workers
•bylaw and quarantine officers
•manufacturing workers
•wholesale/warehousing employees
•staff living in congregate housing at places such as ski hills
•correctional facilities staff
•cross-border transport staff

Also happy that we are getting help from the states and these front line staffs are getting vaccines in April. But why astrazeneca, it feels so unfair for them to get the most unfavorable one out of the four brands that are approved.
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2021, 08:18 PM   #9057
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,054 Posts
it's not about being essential - it's about stamping out potential outbreak areas.

if 500 people in whis staff housing got it next week, you'd be complaining about the "numbers in whistler being out of control" This thing spreads like wildfire in communal living and work situations - we have seen that over and over again.

maybe take a few minutes and google ring vaccination. it's an important part of disease management. spending a day jabbing a thousand kids in whistler might save 10000? cases down the road? worth it.

as for the restaurant rant, not everyone gets to "live and function" if they stop operating. everybody who works in them would literally stop functioning. how would anyone exist without an income in our society? we've heard this since day one from the privileged (pure luck) WFH lottery winners. will you split your earnings with somebody that loses their job when their employer is forced to close? I doubt it.

livelihood=lives.

I would suggest that your perspective might be a bit narrow.

EDIT: actually - i may as well be blunt about my opinion on they vaccination order. I don't think a single person working from home should get the jab until every single person who's had to grind it out in the past year gets a chance first. essential or not - a huge portion of our society has had to put themselves at risk to keep their jobs, their homes and their families fed, while another portion has had plenty of time to armchair quarterback the entire situation from the comfort of their paycheques.

Last edited by The Producer; 03-18-2021 at 08:26 PM.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2021, 09:17 PM   #9058
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
Funny how I saw the Chilean vaccination and infection charts, and despite their successful vaccination drive, their infection rates are still going up.

To me, the reasons for that happening is beyond obvious. But alas, when are people going to learn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:24 PM   #9059
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Edit
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by underscore; 03-19-2021 at 04:29 AM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:40 PM   #9060
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,186 Times in 239 Posts
At the end of the day, public health deemed that list of workers as the priority groups. You can interpret "priority groups" as essential workers, or you can interpret the groups as stamping out potential outbreak areas.

Regardless,

If teachers get infected, then parents have to take time off to watch their children.

If police, firefighters get infected, then the public gets less protection, chaos may ensue. Just look at the local paramedics being short-staffed.

If grocery store workers get infected, and being so short-staffed, don't you think getting your grocery done will be worse than now? It's pretty orderly right now with the staffs directing people in line and cleaning self-checkout stations.

If there is an outbreak in the restaurant, at the worst, the restaurant will close down and staffs will be out work, but it will not impact any other people.

You can have bias towards your own profession or if you dine frequently, but there is no denying that the priority group listed (other than the staff living in congregate housing at places such as ski hills) will cause a greater deal of damage in society should there be an outbreak in them, hence it makes sense for the vaccines to go to them first right after health care workers + severely immunocompromised people.

You know what? Don't even sweat it, who's gonna get that astrazeneca vaccine anyways? America is dumping that garbage to us, might as well send us some anti-coagulants too.

Last edited by is350; 03-18-2021 at 10:47 PM.
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:51 PM   #9061

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
10 ppl gatherings they said, it will be fine they said, 737 cases now
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-19-2021, 05:20 PM   #9062
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Transit employees should be in the priority group though, surprised bus drivers etc weren't included

And yep our numbers have been high for ages and seems to be inching hire recently
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2021, 06:07 PM   #9063
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
10 ppl gatherings they said, it will be fine they said, 737 cases now
it's because people that are gathering don't wear their fucking masks. I go for a walk in the park and I see groups of adults huddled together talking without their masks while their kids are running around.

I guarantee that people are not even keeping the same 10. They probably read 10 and thought so long as they keep under 10 for gatherings they're good.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2021, 06:24 PM   #9064
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about that outdoor grouping, even maskless. The fact is people are going out for food, drinks, and having people over now with plenty of people outside their household.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2021, 08:10 PM   #9065

I’m sure outdoor gatherings account for incredibly few cases.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:45 PM   #9066
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Transit employees should be in the priority group though, surprised bus drivers etc weren't included
What I find interesting is -- half the time when I see a bus pass by, the bus driver isn't wearing a mask at all.

If I were a bus driver, I'd sure as heck wear a mask 100% of the time, esp when we are still in late winter / early spring.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:36 AM   #9067
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:26 AM   #9068

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
It's because they shouldn't have given false hope to people by saying things are gonna reopen. Easing restrictions by summer. Ppl get their hopes up, go out. There's literally still no vaccines compared to last month. And we're hitting end of march. Even if there is a vaccine you're not immune.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2021, 09:27 AM   #9069

Definitely true. Thinks will be ok soon = things are ok when interpreted by people that want to hear something.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2021, 09:35 AM   #9070

Well wtf were they thinking with these stupid statements both Bonnie and Tam release to the public

They give this hope about getting back to normal by summer, everyone’s gonna get a vaccine by June etc etc.

And then fast forward 4 fucking days and now shit is dire and the variants are posing a grave concern about a 3rd wave like what the fuck..they’ve been relatively conservative in their statements prior to this and now in a 4 day span things change drastically? Awesome
Old 03-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #9071
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
I see it as mostly, damned if you do and damned if you don't at this point. How many people are still tuning in to every live meeting with the health ministers to hang on their every word. The modelling and stats probably showed the frequency of people disregarding the health orders measures was growing anyways (no social gatherings etc). The messages were starting to fall on death ears anyhow and I don't think they're targetting that growing minority. So you open it up a crack, give the people holding steadfast to the orders a little breathing room to keep them on track. Better yet, dangle the light at the end of the tunnel as an extra incentive to keep up the good fight.

The 3rd wave was likely going to happen regardless, the virus is mutating to become stronger right while we're all getting sick and tired of fighting it. It's going to get uglier. I've said it before, we're susceptible to survivorship bias and even some of the posts here directly correlate to that (I previously did this and that me and my family are fine, relax etc). Buckle up, big boss fight ahead guys.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #9072

UK has now vaccinated half of its adult population. Have we hit 10% yet?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-20-2021, 11:25 AM   #9073

Was 6% of Canadians yesterday as per the radio and only 65% of people over 75

We are last in the G7 in basically every vaccine related statistic.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:32 AM   #9074

Said 8.5 today, but that is of total population. 50% of eligible in UK is probably closer to 40 total, but yeah, it’s basically fucking nobody here, and people are over it and just living as normally as they can.
Some common sense needs to be used. I think following the rules to a T is totally out the window, but there’s limits to how much you can/should do.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-20-2021, 11:32 AM   #9075
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,045 Times in 2,078 Posts
We’re letting the world go first. How polite and oh so Canadian of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: