REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:56 PM   #12526
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,713 Times in 1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
There’s already plenty of data available to be tracked. Just look at your smartphone and the ads that pop up.

My BMW Connect app in the car tracks everywhere we go. What is the Gov’t going to do if they know you eat KFC every Tuesday at 8pm?
if SP had his way, if there was an outbreak at that KFC, you now have to report for covid testing.

hope you don't have anywhere to be, because if the results of that mandatory covid test are positive - you're not leaving your house. even if you're asymptomatic and vaxx'd. Enjoy the follow up tests - you'll need several of those too.

so ya - it's a little different than the Timmy's ads on your Waze app.

you guys want this?
Advertisement
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-10-2021, 08:16 PM   #12527
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
are you saying that the government should have to power to demand that I consent to a covid test?
I mean... fucking YES!

If you were in a spot where there was a breakout, they should absolutely find everyone who tested positive and make sure they quarantine to contain the spread

Just like everyone should do mandatory testing when they enter the country
Quote:
i'm not exactly sure what the state of affairs is in HK right now. perhaps you've grown accustomed to this type of government overreach.
Notwithstanding other issues with this government, they are handling covid to the point where it practically doesn't exist anymore. The only cases are imported ones, and mandatory quarantine keeps them from entering into the population at large. It's pretty nice, although I wish they'd relax some social distancing rules.

Quote:
that's what I'm worried about in the long term here. people will just keep accepting these measures and start to get used to them. that's all i was saying
We're not talking long term here, we're talking about how to handle a pandemic. Because BTW it's still going, and numbers are still rising. Hospitals are still crowded, and people still can't get proper care.

Anyway, they're not doing this so there's no point in arguing. I think it's weird to be against quarantining if you have covid though
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:21 PM   #12528
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
if SP had his way, if there was an outbreak at that KFC, you now have to report for covid testing.

hope you don't have anywhere to be, because if the results of that mandatory covid test are positive - you're not leaving your house. even if you're asymptomatic and vaxx'd. Enjoy the follow up tests - you'll need several of those too.

so ya - it's a little different than the Timmy's ads on your Waze app.

you guys want this?
If I catch Covid, I would want to know and not spread it to anyone else.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2021, 08:35 PM   #12529

And remember, "the government" in Canada at least, is an extension of the people. It's not some weird shadowy organization that placed itself in control and is trying to "track" you or do bad things to you.

If they do something you don't like, you can get rid of them. America just did that, and they are practically hopeless.

Being where I am now really made me appreciate what Canada has, I wish other Canadians would realize it too. Canadians have something good going, why not make use of it for the better of the country?
Old 09-10-2021, 08:47 PM   #12530

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I mean... fucking YES!

If you were in a spot where there was a breakout, they should absolutely find everyone who tested positive and make sure they quarantine to contain the spread

Just like everyone should do mandatory testing when they enter the country

Notwithstanding other issues with this government, they are handling covid to the point where it practically doesn't exist anymore. The only cases are imported ones, and mandatory quarantine keeps them from entering into the population at large. It's pretty nice, although I wish they'd relax some social distancing rules.

We're not talking long term here, we're talking about how to handle a pandemic. Because BTW it's still going, and numbers are still rising. Hospitals are still crowded, and people still can't get proper care.

Anyway, they're not doing this so there's no point in arguing. I think it's weird to be against quarantining if you have covid though
I'm not against any of our current measures - especially quarantining. It's criminal that anybody is allowed into this country for any reason without having to quarantine for 2 weeks. It's a choice to come here. it's simply a condition of entry. It's no different than an employer requiring covid testing/vaxx which i also fully support.

I'm not against quarantine if you are covid positive at all. I'm not sure where you read that. That's not what I'm saying.

I'm absolutely against mandatory testing based on tracking where I have been. That's what you're advocating for. You want a tracking app, that I'm required to show in establishments, to alert me I've been near an exposure. Then you want some kind of system where somebody forces me to be tested. Is that how it works in HK? What if you say no? Do I even want to know?

Then you want the government to dismantle that system on some arbitrary date, and never track peoples movement history again.

You said it (and I did too, many posts ago). I know our system isn't doing this. It sounds like yours might be though, so it's certainly not without precedent.

I think it's weird that you support that.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:53 PM   #12531

Quote:
I'm absolutely against mandatory testing based on tracking where I have been. That's what you're advocating for. You want a tracking app, that I'm required to show in establishments, to alert me I've been near an exposure. Then you want some kind of system where somebody forces me to be tested. Is that how it works in HK? What if you say no? Do I even want to know?

Then you want the government to dismantle that system on some arbitrary date, and never track peoples movement history again.

You said it (and I did too, many posts ago). I know our system isn't doing this. It sounds like yours might be though, so it's certainly not without precedent.

I think it's weird that you support that.

Yes that's how they do it here. You have an app that has an ID tied to your phone but no other records. When you go into a restaurant you scan in, and log out when you leave. If there was a positive case while you were there, the app notifies you to go get tested.

If you don't want to use the app, you fill in a sheet with your phone number instead. I'm sure a lot of "clever" people put in false information here, thinking they are outsmarting "the government" (to their own detriment)

The app can also import your vaccination record, but that is not being used yet.

There's no "system" to dismantle after that. Just stop using it. Remove the app from your phone, and the records get deleted.

Not sure what's weird about supporting this... If I take the risk of going to a restaurant and taking off my mask, it's nice to know that if someone at the table next to me had covid, so I can go get tested asap to make sure I stay home and don't spread it to anyone else. It's not "the government" spying on us, it's the community coming together and working together to keep the pandemic in check. "the government' is just there to build systems to make this happen. It's like complaining that "the government" paved a road... Yes they could drive cop cars up and down the road and spy on you. But more likely, the road will just be used by you and your neighbours to go to work.

The pandemic is legit, and simply refusing to acknowledge that won't make it go away. It is now literally impossible to get herd immunity, so it has to be dealt with in other ways. We've been over this a million times in the thread.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2021, 11:15 PM   #12532
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
even if you're asymptomatic and vaxx'd.
Unless I missed something, I believe the currently accepted knowledge is that you're still contagious in that scenario.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2021, 12:26 AM   #12533
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
As long as they don’t track the speed of travel, IDGAF what info is taken of me.
That's what your cell phone is for.
Mikoyan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:01 AM   #12534
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
i intentionally sign up for that shit just to sell myself out for better insurance rates
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:11 AM   #12535

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Unless I missed something, I believe the currently accepted knowledge is that you're still contagious in that scenario.
yes - that has never been in question.

SP is suggesting that vaccinated asymptomatic carriers, who have no idea they're even sick should be compelled to test because of where their phone says they have been. a piece of knowledge the health authority wouldn't even have, except we're willingly handing it over.

how long should we do that for? covid isn't going away. indefinitely? stats show that the vast majority of vaxx'd individuals will not even show symptoms. there's no way those people should have their movements recorded and be subject to any kind of mandatory action.

All i said 30 replies ago was there's a slippery slope of giving the government too much power and too much access. This is always dangerous.

you guys are cornering me into being some anti government covid denying crackpot. I'm far from it. I've done everything that has been asked of me. masked up, store covid proofed, all safety measures taken, first in line for the vaxx, and i can tell you I'll be first in line for whatever booster they want to give me.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #12536
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
As far as close contact positive cases etc. I think that isn't very important anymore anyways

At least with my employer, even if you are in close contact you do not have to quarantine or even get tested if you are vaccinated unless you have symptoms. So the close contact/contact tracing is likely irrelevant at this point
Old 09-11-2021, 10:54 AM   #12537
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
I hate to burst a lot of bubbles here but the QR code vaccination passport can absolutely be used to track your movements if they decide they want to. The end user (restaurant etc) may not have access to anything other than your vaccination status but that is connected to your BC Health number. The provincial and federal governments, RCMP, CSIS, et al CAN access and use that data if they see fit. You're signing off on government (for public display) access and waiving your privacy privilege to one tiny portion of your medical records. There will be a database of your scans in government systems.
Man, do you ride around with a Freedom Phone, and drive a car made before the late 2000's?

https://www.freedomphone.com/

I understand the want for privacy, but if the concern of the government of "tracking" you is so paramount, that ship has sailed long ago.

The truth is we haven't lived in a world in which we can be private or anonymous for some time now.

If the government want to find out information on you, it's always at hand, regardless of some silly QR vaccination status code.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2021, 11:34 AM   #12538
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
The point of my post was that the data will exist from the Passport to track individual movements IF they so choose to enact that ability. Some people were posting concerns about that, that's all. Accessing your location through other apps and services is one thing but pinging your location directly to the government is another. Having this discourse about it is a good thing.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:17 PM   #12539

The passport has your ID# and vaccination: yes, no. And that's it. There is no other identifiable data on there. Being a QR code doesn't suddenly make it trackable online.

It's the reason you have to show a photo ID along with it, to match up to the name and number on the passport.

They don't care where you use it, it doesn't matter. All they want to do is make sure people are vaccinated before they go into crowded places.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:47 PM   #12540
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
Some of you guys make it seem like the government can find out everything about you just from scanning a QR code.

Have you ever had to have some personal information changed with the government? It almost seem as if they don't know anything about you since they don't talk to other departments eventhough they are part of the same government.

For example (this is real, not making this shit up) My mom was applying for CPP and The name on her SIN and Drivers license did not match correctly (stupid asian names and immigration from the 70s).
We went through maybe 3 different departments in order for them to fix it.
First we go to service canada to apply for a replacement - they say can't do it since the name on the ID (driver's license) isn't matching their system. Get it fixed or else they won't replace it.
So we had to get the drivers license name fixed - Wait, your care card name doesn't match the drivers license name, get that fixed first.
So we had to mail stuff to BC health services since you can't verify your identity through the phone. So finally once we get the letter that the name is corrected that we could finally change everything else and get that replacement card.

Point of this? You think the government suddenly changed their systems so that a vaccine passport QR code can communicate between medical and rcmp and anything else that would need your information in the last few years? I laugh at that thought
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:49 PM   #12541
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coren View Post
You think the government suddenly [..........] can communicate between medical and rcmp and anything else that would need your information in the last few years? I laugh at that thought
You've clearly never gone through a government background check run by the RCMP/CSIS.

Generally a lot of ignorance about what Gov agencies can do here. Not surprising really. Carry on....
Old 09-11-2021, 01:52 PM   #12542
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
And maybe just maybe if they really wanted to find shit on somebody, they would start with shady people or people of power they dont like or want to get rid of. Do they really want to track ordinary people like me? I can tell them what theyll find, 8-9 hrs at work, go home, family time, on FB Marketplace, Youtube, Revscene, family goes to sleep, IG look at whorebags maybe catch a beat.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2021, 02:56 PM   #12543
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
You've clearly never gone through a government background check run by the RCMP/CSIS.

Generally a lot of ignorance about what Gov agencies can do here. Not surprising really. Carry on....
Well I have! Top Secret too!

You're vastly overestimating the reach of any of this stuff.

Also, a Top Secret background check costs somewhere in the neighbourhood of $15,000 to $20,000 to do... I know because we had to fight like crazy to get funding for it to deal with the work being done. Most of that money goes into paying people to go around investigating and doing background checks on various levels of your family and relations and people you live with or have direct contact with... including visiting places you live or used to live to ask around about you. Boots on the ground stuff. It also includes a polygraph test done by a professional.

You think the Canadian government is going to spend $20,000+ on each person to go check into them becuase they went to Denny's an unusual number of times in a month?

The thinking on this is bizarre. And again, the RESOURCES man... the human resources... they just don't exist! It takes 6 months to push a top secret background check through nowadays and that's IF you agree to pay any OT that's incurred and they are basically charging mandatory OT.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2021, 03:44 PM   #12544
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I'm rather surprised at the responses. Not because I don't agree.

But just that wasn't it not too long ago, there was wide spread panic over whatsapp msgs not being encrypted anymore and everyone jumping ship to Signal or some other alternative messaging app. Or people who absolutely refuse to use smart home devices because they are being spied 24/7. Isn't that more or less the same concept?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #12545
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
I don’t know who everybody is? I never downloaded signal and facebook owned WhatsApp since many years ago so I never understood what the problem was.

Just goes to show how many people are sending DPs on the reg I guess hahaha

But seriously it’s government vs big corporations again… at least in Canada I have some faith in the governments agenda. Corporations not really?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:06 PM   #12546
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
The verifier app is available for download PUBLICLY; so it doesn't even need authentication on the user's side. Anyone can play bouncer at their home.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...c.gov.vaxcheck
https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/bc-vac...r/id1583114791

Oh, and what's more:

"Verification is done locally on the device without communicating with the internet. The app does not save any information on the device nor does it collect any usage analytics."

Setting the phone to Airplane Mode verifies this statement. That should mean it's simply the customer's name and vaccination status encoded into the QR code and there's no fetching of the records from a database. Which also means if someone can figure out the encoding algorithm, they can generate their own QR codes with name and status.

Whoever the government paid to write this app didn't test it properly; the scanner is active as long as a code is in the camera's view, even when a vaccination status is displayed on screen. So the phone just keeps vibrating

It's a pretty dummy app.. I wonder how much the contract cost
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:46 PM   #12547
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
You think the Canadian government is going to spend $20,000+ on each person to go check into them becuase they went to Denny's an unusual number of times in a month?
Of course not! That was never the point of what I was saying.

There's no need to run off on hypotheticals to disprove a point I was never trying to make.

Thanks for your time in service, whatever it was.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:56 PM   #12548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn View Post
The verifier app is available for download PUBLICLY; so it doesn't even need authentication on the user's side. Anyone can play bouncer at their home.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...c.gov.vaxcheck
https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/bc-vac...r/id1583114791

Oh, and what's more:

"Verification is done locally on the device without communicating with the internet. The app does not save any information on the device nor does it collect any usage analytics."

Setting the phone to Airplane Mode verifies this statement. That should mean it's simply the customer's name and vaccination status encoded into the QR code and there's no fetching of the records from a database. Which also means if someone can figure out the encoding algorithm, they can generate their own QR codes with name and status.

Whoever the government paid to write this app didn't test it properly; the scanner is active as long as a code is in the camera's view, even when a vaccination status is displayed on screen. So the phone just keeps vibrating

It's a pretty dummy app.. I wonder how much the contract cost
THANK YOU, this is what I've been saying all along but it's nice that you found the actual app so people can see for themselves.

I think the whole "QR codes allow me to be tracked" is about the same level as "the vaccine will implant 5G radios in my bloodstream". QR code is just text converted to an image making it easy to be scanned by cameras. That's it. This is the same as holding a card that people want so badly.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:20 PM   #12549

Quote:
THANK YOU, this is what I've been saying all along but it's nice that you found the actual app so people can see for themselves.

I think the whole "QR codes allow me to be tracked" is about the same level as "the vaccine will implant 5G radios in my bloodstream". QR code is just text converted to an image making it easy to be scanned by cameras. That's it. This is the same as holding a card that people want so badly.
Quote:
I mean... fucking YES!

you're again trying to lump some legitimate distrust of government mandated movement reporting, with crackpot ideology.

it's not the same thing as "5g mind control" vaccines at all.

instead of conceding a point, you continue to strawman.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:24 PM   #12550
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Just going to interrupt the discussion with an additional new-found reason of why I would 100% support the QR code-based vaccine passport.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTsg42ChyyB/

Bring it on, baby~
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: