REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:37 AM   #11276
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
Outdoor venues opened up way before indoors in most countries. It's pretty apparent by now that the virus doesn't spread that well outdoors

Plus statistically, at least 70% of those people will have at least their first vaccination shot
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:39 AM   #11277
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Quote:
The laughing stock of the first world
Yeah pretty sure nobody gives a shit besides people on Gab and Parler for something to get outraged over.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 06:39 AM   #11278
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
The laughing stock of the first world?

I was told yesterday that BC was the only part of North America that managed to keep schools open for inside learning for kids. That’s something to be proud of IMO.

Two sides to every coin. Nice try using hockey games to push your agenda to a Canadian audience though
I'm not sure how true that is, my niece was in class in Saskatchewan but I guess that's still Canada so argument stands.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:36 AM   #11279
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
I certainly didn’t fact check it. All I know is my kids’ schools didn’t close for a single day and I know schools were closed elsewhere so I just took the info at face value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 08:59 AM   #11280
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,725 Times in 893 Posts
So HK is banning all fights from UK cuz of the Delta variant, should we ban UK also......?
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:20 AM   #11281
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
So HK is banning all fights from UK cuz of the Delta variant, should we ban UK also......?
HK's reasons to do this is purely political. They've had an extended run of zero local cases for at least 1.5 month, and the HKSAR gov is still imposing harsh COVID restrictions to prevent people from gathering for protests. The flight ban to/from UK is to prevent Hong Kongers from fleeing HK to the UK since a lot of Hong Kongers qualify for permanent residence in UK now. Most notably, the PK HK gov is trying to catch the last of the dissentients / pro-democracy players from escaping the draconian National Security Law.

For example, I think HK has just arrested another ex-Apple Daily writer at the airport when he is preparing to board a flight to the UK.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:45 AM   #11282
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
This whole delta variant scare thing by the news etc. Is pretty gross. No one willing to lay out the reasoning behind it outside of like, guests on radio shows

Delta variant spreading and “effecting young people” because…they aren’t vaccinated..

Countries that didn’t promote vaccination among young people are seeing these delta variant outbreaks whereas Canada likes to promote the scare of the delta variant, however, among the people being effected in other countries our 12-17 year old people have nearly the same immunization rate as the general population.

You think the states is gonna close down sporting events etc. Because of the delta variant? Lol not a chance.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #11283
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
The laughing stock of the first world?

I was told yesterday that BC was the only part of North America that managed to keep schools open for inside learning for kids. ThatÂ’s something to be proud of IMO.
[It's also a lie.]

Two sides to every coin. Nice try using hockey games to push your agenda to a Canadian audience though
Quote:
I certainly didnÂ’t fact check it. All I know is my kidsÂ’ schools didnÂ’t close for a single day and I know schools were closed elsewhere so I just took the info at face value.
"" Nice use of inflammatory words like agenda. What agenda? Using logic and common sense? Asking for accountability from elected officials whose salaries we pay? Is completely making shit up like you just did better or worse than providing actual statistics?

UK all loaded up with the "Delta Variant" - 66.5% first dose, 48.7% total vaccination rate

Hungary - 56% first dose, 49.5% full vaccinated

New York - 59.7% first dose, 46.6% total vaccination rate

Florida - 52% first dose, 44.4% total vaccination rate

Georgia - 42.5% first dose, 35.45% total vaccination rate

Meanwhile in Canada with the highest overall vaccination rate in the world according to this article....

I just use sporting events as an example of larger policy. It extends to all industries and how they're being allowed to operate. People need to go back to work and stop taking government handouts. We are intentionally being held down. If you don't see that this is all a political game at this point you just have your eyes closed.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #11284
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Are you trying to say that the UK and USA are good examples to follow for COVID policies?
stylez2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:05 AM   #11285
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
I didn’t make anything up. I was relaying info I was told which I also admitted I didn’t fact check.

But yes, you have an agenda if you’re telling people how to vote and making shit up like “we’re the laughing stock of the first world.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #11286
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Using Florida as a positive standard for anything Covid related is laughable.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 01:24 PM   #11287

Thanked 4,561 Times in 1,711 Posts
I don't usually agree with JD13, but he has a bit of a point.

We might not want to compare ourselves to other countries, but optics is everything, and people do make such comparisons outside of our RS bubble.

When you're seeing our European and American counterparts having events like this in comparison to our still current lockdown, to any laymen that would seem out of touch. I feel nothing but sympathy seeing workers right now having to wear these ridiculous masks in 40+ degree heat, July 1st is days away, enough is enough already. I've had countless conversations with service people who are now finding insufferable. I WFH, so for people like myself, I'm totally unaffected.

People are just getting tired of this, I was a proponent of the lockdowns, wearing masks, but at this point its worn thin.
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 01:30 PM   #11288
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
There is pretty clearly political motivation in keeping controls in place when you see “uncontrolled” events like in Montreal just have a blind eye turned to them

Saving those last 80/90 year olds by keeping heavy restrictions in place in exchange for decimating the last few businesses that were living day to day.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #11289
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Not gonna comment on JD13 or mikemhg's posts regarding re-opening the economy, but I do want to bring up some quick numbers:

According to Google, UK has been seeing a pretty steady climb of new COVID cases since late May / early June. The trajectory looks sufficiently steep to me, and in the past week or so, seems to have kicked up a notch into an exponential type of growth curve too. Deaths have gradually climbed. You can say they have doubled since flat lining at a very low count since some time ago, but to me as a layperson, the new death counts are too low to suggest something statistically.

The US is seeing a slight rebound in new cases. Things were really good in early June, but it is a bit worse now. New death counts are still sort of dropping.

Canada's new case counts has been continually dropping at a significant rate since mid April, and it continues to drop. Without a doubt (to me at least), this is the result of our generally very successful vaccination campaign and high vaccination rates across the country. Death rates have generally been on a down trend since late April, although there has been some recent fluctuations in the recent days.

My personal feeling is -- at least here in BC, we have been on a very good trend. We have a plan to re-open; it looks to me like we are heading that way; I am happy to stick to that plan without moving those plans up. I will openly admit that I am more risk adverse, and that's where I stand.

The UK and US obviously have lower vaccination rates than we do. Along with their more aggressive re-opening plans, I'd say everything basically just adds up.

Quote:
I don't usually agree with JD13, but he has a bit of a point.

We might not want to compare ourselves to other countries, but optics is everything, and people do make such comparisons outside of our RS bubble.

When you're seeing our European and American counterparts having events like this in comparison to our still current lockdown, to any laymen that would seem out of touch. I feel nothing but sympathy seeing workers right now having to wear these ridiculous masks in 40+ degree heat, July 1st is days away, enough is enough already. I've had countless conversations with service people who are now finding insufferable. I WFH, so for people like myself, I'm totally unaffected.

People are just getting tired of this, I was a proponent of the lockdowns, wearing masks, but at this point its worn thin.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 02:18 PM   #11290

Thanked 31,157 Times in 7,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
I just use sporting events as an example of larger policy. It extends to all industries and how they're being allowed to operate. People need to go back to work and stop taking government handouts. We are intentionally being held down. If you don't see that this is all a political game at this point you just have your eyes closed.
https://www.calgarystampede.com/stampede/tickets
Here you go. 2 weeks away and the whole country is saved from the communist grips of Trudeau!
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:46 PM   #11291
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,513 Times in 4,905 Posts
My friend from Edmonton, who contracted Covid after being immunized, told me, the Stampede may spell disaster for Alberta. Although it looks like Calgarians are immunized and whatnot, it's people from the suburbs and outlying towns and communities who are not vaccinated that might be an issue. They will, in turn, go back to spread the virus to their towns.

As for hospitalization numbers not going up, I would hope so. Isn't that what the vaccines are supposed to do? Reduce the effects of the virus. Not a cure.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 03:03 PM   #11292

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
There is pretty clearly political motivation in keeping controls in place when you see “uncontrolled” events like in Montreal just have a blind eye turned to them
People were gonna gather regardless of rules. If the Canucks made it to the SCF this year (Lol), I bet fans would congregate downtown. If the police tried to intervene, it might result in a riot.

It’s a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” situation.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:03 PM   #11293
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
Olympics is also next month
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:43 PM   #11294
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,513 Times in 4,905 Posts
deleted comment.... solves nothing.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 06-28-2021 at 03:59 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:42 PM   #11295

Man I'm scared, masks will only be recommended as of July 1 and no longer state of emergency. Ready to bareback with the Karen's............
Old 06-29-2021, 01:52 PM   #11296
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
you've got it a tad wrong. masks will no longer be mandatory. it's still recommended but you have a choice now. personally, i'll still wear a mask in busy areas like malls and grocery stores.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:58 PM   #11297

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Can't businesses still make you wear them anyways? I can't see all the stores suddenly saying it's ok to walk around without a mask.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:01 PM   #11298

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I'll be honest if I don't have to wear a mask I'm not wearing one. That said, if a store or business wants me to wear one I'll do it no problem I'm not going to argue with them their business their rules.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2021, 02:04 PM   #11299
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Yeah, I'm still gonna wear masks when I am indoors for an extended period of time like the mall or grocery shopping, however if I am going thru my condo hallways to walk the dog or entering a restaurant, probably wouldn't bother.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:22 PM   #11300

I'll still be wearing my mask. Not sure how it's going work out at work, since they can't even really force ppl to wear mask if they say they have health exception. But last time I heard they are making employees wear them but I'm not sure how they can enforce that since it's not mandatory by the gov. Vs work is private property and if they will say must have mask to enter.
This post thanked by: