REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #12376
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
For GGNore and people thinking along those lines, please read:

Don't Panic Over Waning Antibodies. Here's Why

Quote:
Luckily, the vaccines generate B cells that get relegated to our memory banks and these memory B cells are able to produce high levels of antibodies to fight the virus if they see it again. Amazingly, these memory B cells will actually produce antibodies adapted against the COVID variants if they see a variant in the future, rather than the original antibodies directed against the ancestral strain. This is because memory B cells serve as a blueprint to make antibodies, like the blueprint of a house. If a house needs an extra column (or antibodies need to evolve to work against variants), the blueprint will oblige just as memory B cells will!
-Monica Gandhi MD, MPH; infectious diseases and HIV doctor at UCSF
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:50 PM   #12377
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
I guess the metadata collected from google with all the antivax people in this thread has triggered some new ads

current resolution
Old 09-03-2021, 08:06 PM   #12378
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
Damn .. in AB, $100 if you get a vaccine!

But then, earlier, I think they had a $1M lottery if you get a vaccine!

What a joke ...
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:22 PM   #12379
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Maybe they should raffle off a fully loaded F-350 and a years worth of smokes if you get the vaccine that would probably do the trick.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #12380

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Damn .. in AB, $100 if you get a vaccine!

But then, earlier, I think they had a $1M lottery if you get a vaccine!

What a joke ...
Only like 30% of people over 70 here are vaccinated... The housing authority did a test run by giving out 1kg bags of rice with vaccination for elderly people in a low income area. So many people showed up that they had to turn them away...

Sometimes all you need is some incentive. And old people here will line up for hours for free rice

They interviewed some people and they said they didn't know how to book online, and others said that their doctor told them to "wait and see". Some just wanted the free rice (they've done open walk ins before).

$100 is pretty sweet.. It feels like a waste of tax dollars, but the alternative is having fewer vaccinated people so I'd say it's worth it.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2021, 09:13 PM   #12381

^ I get that in HK with people over 70. But that's clearly not the case in AB.

And yah, shout "FREE" and you'll have a swarm of Asian people ... doesn't matter what or if they need it, they will run to line up and get it.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2021, 09:43 PM   #12382

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^ I get that in HK with people over 70. But that's clearly not the case in AB.

And yah, shout "FREE" and you'll have a swarm of Asian people ... doesn't matter what or if they need it, they will run to line up and get it.
1KG bags of rice are worth like $2-3 USD if you buy bags that small.. A lot of these people really are poor, but still it's crazy that's the incentive!

I remember when flights started requiring sealable bags, and when the airport put them out, people would just hoard them by the handful, I saw it with my own eyes. After that I think you had to ask for one
Old 09-04-2021, 01:17 AM   #12383
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Kenny is giving away $100 after he cut nurse's pay. I hear the amount they are giving out is about the same he cut from nurses.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:21 PM   #12384

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
Those people who protested at VGH are knuckle dragging fuckheads.

I feel bad for my GF and the other nurses and doctors that work there, imagine being praised to being villainized in the span of a year.

If you want to protest, do you, but you can't disrupt the activity of the main and primary hospital in the province. It's funny to me, these are the same people that when contracted with COVID, run straight to the same hospital for treatment.

The reality is, this has nothing to do with the vaccine. There's been 5 billion vaccinations given out since its development, if there were any major issues, wouldn't we hear about them by now?

The truth is, these people don't care about the efficacy about the vaccine, it's never been about that. This all really started the last few years ago, especially with the coming of Trump, it's this whole counter culture, anti-pc, anti-immigration, government tyranny bullshit.

It's not coincidental that the entire crowd of protesters were white, not a single shade of melanin were seen in that group. Many of these people are brushing shoulders with white supremacism groups (as evidenced by the swastika flags, etc).

These are people that are simply angry at the current state of the world, the "beigeing" of society, immigration, all the items I've listed above, very little of this has to do with the vaccine in itself.

Similar protests about "rights" and "freedoms" and comparisons to communism were levied in the 60's during the civil rights movement as a government tyranny being imposed on the public, and that segregation should be a choice and a right.

This is the current state of the culture we're now in, if it wasn't vaccines, this would've manifested itself in some other manner, attached to some other subject/controversy.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:19 AM   #12385

This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2021, 06:29 AM   #12386
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,441 Times in 5,113 Posts
Yah sure, China is in the next lowest death category above Greenland. Right. Let’s all bow to their remarkable success with the virus…………
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2021, 09:47 AM   #12387

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I love how China is technically a lighter shade than Canada. Get right fucked bud LOL

Edit: per 100k ppl, so then maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but I highly doubt that
Old 09-05-2021, 10:02 AM   #12388

Yeah per 100K people rather than a flat number.. At 25 excess deaths per 100K, China is still probably above every other country there. They could be insanely higher, but who really knows.

You can read how they calculated it here. It's quite a wide range
Old 09-05-2021, 11:35 AM   #12389
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
If u read the article, they have no real data to go on from China, but estimate up to 1.5million deaths, so don't let the shading fool ya
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:43 AM   #12390
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,441 Times in 5,113 Posts
Well they also said Tiannamen Square never happened amongst many many many other ridiculous claims, anything to save face right?
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2021, 07:56 PM   #12391

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
when i heard the news for HK; those above the age of 80 in Hong Kong, the number shrinks to 8%. I was blown away on the percentage being so low.

I'm going to assume they have lack of accessibility as #1 factor and #2, they aren't readily able to get informed in the news.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:07 PM   #12392

Twas the night before ... school starts. My greatest concern is for kids under 12 who cannot get vaccinated. Universities ... well, most people in that age bracket is vaccinated, I think.

Let's hope for the best and this, I would gladly be wrong, but my uneducated guess is that it will be > 1000 +'ve cases/day in about a week's time.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:25 AM   #12393

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
^^ enjoy it while we can. I've been to two restaurants over the weekend both were packed, at least at 85%+ capacity if not fully seated. No barriers or some seats less than 6 feet apart.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:27 AM   #12394

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
when i heard the news for HK; those above the age of 80 in Hong Kong, the number shrinks to 8%. I was blown away on the percentage being so low.

I'm going to assume they have lack of accessibility as #1 factor and #2, they aren't readily able to get informed in the news.
I think the main thing is the "wait and see" attitude a lot of people here have, especially older people. We haven't had a single local case of covid in 3 weeks now, which is beyond the incubation period. So HK is essentially covid free right now - anyone infected came from somewhere else, and is in quarantine. So why take the "risk" of getting vaccinated when closed borders and insanely strict quarantine (which don't' affect these 80 year olds) are effective? Just wait it out, isolate HK and let the world deal with it.

This WOULD be a feasible solution, albeit an expensive one, if a vaccine didn't exist. But it does, so...

They are working to make it more accessible with more walkup vaccinations throughout the city. A lot of people can't book online. the other issue is doctors who have that general "wait and see" attitude, which as we know kind of works, but only as long as the borders are closed. Problem is, closed borders breaks the economy, and isn't a final solution, as much as localists and racists in general like to keep borders closed.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:26 AM   #12395
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
I think the main thing is the "wait and see" attitude a lot of people here have, especially older people. We haven't had a single local case of covid in 3 weeks now, which is beyond the incubation period. So HK is essentially covid free right now - anyone infected came from somewhere else, and is in quarantine. So why take the "risk" of getting vaccinated when closed borders and insanely strict quarantine (which don't' affect these 80 year olds) are effective? Just wait it out, isolate HK and let the world deal with it.

This WOULD be a feasible solution, albeit an expensive one, if a vaccine didn't exist. But it does, so...

They are working to make it more accessible with more walkup vaccinations throughout the city. A lot of people can't book online. the other issue is doctors who have that general "wait and see" attitude, which as we know kind of works, but only as long as the borders are closed. Problem is, closed borders breaks the economy, and isn't a final solution, as much as localists and racists in general like to keep borders closed.
It is catch-22, they will not open the border without quarantine because China's policy is to maintain zero infection (pipe dream). CCP leadership has to maintain this stance to justify their past actions of keeping the borders closed.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:07 AM   #12396

Keeping the borders closed really is the most effective thing to do, even better than vaccination probably. It just fucks up your country in many other ways I guess

Zero covid can be maintained with a closed border.. but then what's the point?

Also what's the point of having zero covid when everyone still has to wear a mask, even outdoors

We have zero covid now, but can't change our lives to be anything resembling pre-covid.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:12 AM   #12397

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
-was reading this from News1130:

NEWS 1130: https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/09...-card-details/

We also know that British Columbians will be able to save their vaccine card to their smartphones. The province says a secure paper option will be available for the launch date.

The proof of vaccination requirement doesn’t just apply to locals, but to everyone coming to B.C. too. That means Canadians visiting from out of province will have to show their province or territory’s officially recognized vaccine record as well as government ID from that province or territory. International visitors will have to show the proof of vaccination they used to enter the country, as well as their passport.

Premier John Horgan is expected to join Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix for the announcement Tuesday at 2 p.m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2021, 08:20 AM   #12398

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
I can't wait to see what's going to happen.

For my grandma who is stubborn and not getting vaxxed, she can't go dim sum any more. You try talking to a 91 yr old in getting vaxxed....

I am however eager to find out how they will deal with fake stuff. Will it be a QR code restaurants will have to scan and it'll have to be green lid? or this piece of paper which my buddies are making fake print outs already be pass-able....
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2021, 08:32 AM   #12399
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
Keeping the borders closed really is the most effective thing to do, even better than vaccination probably. It just fucks up your country in many other ways I guess

Zero covid can be maintained with a closed border.. but then what's the point?

Also what's the point of having zero covid when everyone still has to wear a mask, even outdoors

We have zero covid now, but can't change our lives to be anything resembling pre-covid.
There is an agenda hidden somewhere... just like how they stopped renewing passports in mainland China and discouraging people from traveling. But they only started doing this this year.

Anyway. I think this generation of people is changed forever. I asked my daughter who's six to take off her mask after getting into the car. She ignored my request and fell asleep with her mask on... something that I would never be able to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
I can't wait to see what's going to happen.

For my grandma who is stubborn and not getting vaxxed, she can't go dim sum any more. You try talking to a 91 yr old in getting vaxxed....

I am however eager to find out how they will deal with fake stuff. Will it be a QR code restaurants will have to scan and it'll have to be green lid? or this piece of paper which my buddies are making fake print outs already be pass-able....
I would have some heart to heart talk with her to see what's her concern if I were you. At her age, she is quite vulnerable to the virus. If death is what she fears, it is the exact reason she should give the vaccine a try. There is no way anyone can live in a bubble and not get infected in the long run.

I have a helper from Philippines whose brother in her 60s and mother all passed away because of this virus. Her sister in 40s also got it recently too and is not recovering. All of them did not get vaccinated. With the vaccine, at least you can somewhat treat it like a flu.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #12400
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
When you’re 91 what exactly are you worried about? Not reaching 92? Lol