REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-13-2022, 08:17 PM   #14326
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
"Travel agents hate this one easy trick to stay in Mexico indefinitely for free!"
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2022, 09:16 PM   #14327
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Welp we fly out to Puerto Vallarta for 3 weeks on Christmas Day.

Better bring my work laptop as I might be down there longer with all this Omicron crap

Ah well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Oh COVID you strange virus.

We were supposed to fly back from Puerto Vallarta (been down here for 3 weeks) on Wednesday. We both took our PCR tests on Monday, checked our results from the condo on Wednesday morning before the flight.

I test negative, my girlfriend tests positive. Our flight literally hours away from departing. I ended up deciding to miss my flight and stay down here with her.

She's completely asymptomatic. Very odd she tested positive, and me negative.

Ah well. Another 10 days in paradise

this is why I can't leave the country - until we're past the stage of denying a timely return home it's just not feasible.

no way i could spend an extra 10 days away from a planned return date.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2022, 04:15 AM   #14328
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
what's travel insurance costs in pandemic times?.. stupid high?... any coverage of you do add on an extra 10 days...HAH.... i'm dreaming
Old 01-14-2022, 05:10 AM   #14329
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
I'll see what Beijing will do this coming 3 weeks. I don't hate on countries, but omicorn is spreading so fast, we'll see if they shut down olympics. Because of their policy, it will become hard to shut down BJ if anyone is detected with omicron.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:17 AM   #14330
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
I'll see what Beijing will do this coming 3 weeks. I don't hate on countries, but omicorn is spreading so fast, we'll see if they shut down olympics. Because of their policy, it will become hard to shut down BJ if anyone is detected with omicron.
They'll likely just sweep any cases under the rug
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:59 AM   #14331
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Omicron is showing up here and there in China and they definitely do not sweep it under the rug.. They try to stamp that shit out as soon as it shows up, to the point where you could end up in lockdown or a quarantine camp without warning just for knowing someone who got it.

The problem is their vaccination rate is very low with older people, and even the ones that do have it are using sinovac and sinopharm which are practically the same as not being vaccinated
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:06 AM   #14332
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post

this is why I can't leave the country - until we're past the stage of denying a timely return home it's just not feasible.

no way i could spend an extra 10 days away from a planned return date.
Same boat, would love to go on vacation but can't risk getting stuck somewhere and neither can my wife. Two years without a vacation, I think we might have to go back east this summer or something stay in Canada but enjoy getting away.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2022, 07:41 AM   #14333
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,347 Times in 5,651 Posts
Well once you’ve had omicron, there is likely a far less chance of testing positive down the road when you’re away. Or at least that’s how I see it lol.. I’ll let my employer deal with it when I call them from Mexico
Old 01-14-2022, 08:30 AM   #14334
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2022, 08:44 AM   #14335
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,454 Times in 5,114 Posts
I have zero doubt we're all getting it or have gotten it now... I was away this weekend at ice racing with 320icar and others, out of touch with people a bit, but now that I've come back well over half the people I can even say I know locally have it currently.

My dad even got it and he's in pretty rough shape despite being triple vaxxed... he is high blood pressure, overweight and a quadruple bypass survivor though so extremely high risk... I'm positive if he wasn't vaccinated he'd be dead in 2 weeks. Even as it is he's done from walking up the stairs.

All my coworkers are currently off sick with it... one of them lives above a daycare where 7/10 kids got infected and just sharing the same heating system in the same house she got it.

For all I know I already got it too, just didn't really notice... have had some mild headaches here or there, etc.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2022, 09:12 AM   #14336
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
At my work they are telling anyone who was even near someone who tested positive to just stay home. No test required, no symptoms needed, just stay home. Have a headache this morning? Stay home and assume it's the virus. More people here are sitting on their ass as a precaution than people who actually have it. Under those conditions it doesn't take much to have a shortage of workers.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:13 AM   #14337
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
what's travel insurance costs in pandemic times?.. stupid high?... any coverage of you do add on an extra 10 days...HAH.... i'm dreaming
Not sure, but I heard yesterday some they void coverage if you travel when there is an advisory against it.

Unrelated, my buddy got off a cruise this week in LA. Tested positive at LAX. Couldn't board the plane so he rented a car and drove home. The border provided a rapid test and he was able to get home and isolate. Gong Show, my wife would kill me if we had to go through all that.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:15 AM   #14338

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
For all I know I already got it too, just didn't really notice... have had some mild headaches here or there, etc.
Same here. I swear I have either a scratchy throat or a tickle in the sinus area almost everyday, like the very first time you notice you are about to get a cold/flu, and then it just goes away and doesn't materialize into anything as the day progresses. Super annoying.

I can certainly echo the travel worries here. With kids and a business to run both myself or my wife can't risk being caught somewhere and having to quarantine. We were supposed to go to Cali during Christmas and cancelled due to the above. Now looking back and seeing how crazy things have gotten I think we made the wise choice. Besides weekend trips here and there and maybe a 4/5 day'er in Palm Springs, I haven't had a long vacation since Thailand in 2011
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2022, 09:23 AM   #14339
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Omicron is showing up here and there in China and they definitely do not sweep it under the rug.. They try to stamp that shit out as soon as it shows up, to the point where you could end up in lockdown or a quarantine camp without warning just for knowing someone who got it.

The problem is their vaccination rate is very low with older people, and even the ones that do have it are using sinovac and sinopharm which are practically the same as not being vaccinated
Naw I meant when the Olympics r going to happen and there's an outbreak in Beijing? They're going to want the show to go on, they're going to sweep any outbreaks in Beijing under the rug until after the games
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:39 AM   #14340
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Honestly if I were Emperor Xi, I would postpone the Winter Olympics until next year just like what Japan did with the summer games. China's draconian measure to shut down whole communities (and cities now) have proven to be sufficiently effective in keeping a lid on Delta, but with Omicron being so much more contagious, the same super harsh measure is not going to work. Already they are seeing massive logistical nightmares with everyday basic necessities like people not having access to food.

At least some portion of the Olympic athletes are going to bring Omicron into the country, just like how they brought Delta into Japan last summer. I don't agree at all with China's COVID zero policy, but if they still hope to achieve that, now is not the time to bring in thousands of foreigners from all over the world when you know Omicron is surging globally.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:41 AM   #14341
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,347 Times in 5,651 Posts
Again, travel for the wealthy. While the peasants grinding away twiddle their thumbs locked away at home.

So I just went to a public pool in Burnaby, the absurdity of closing gyms is very apparent there. They should send a news crew there see what people think. So closing performance gyms, high intensity training centres, boxing facilities etc. that are almost exclusively younger, healthy people. Yet..at the public pool it’s nothing but fucking 70+ year olds face to face in close quarters chatting, no one in the r locker room wearing masks the “old boys” gathering in 6/7/10 person groups face to face.

Let alone the disgusting old fuck who actually spat in the fucking sauna who I called out and he just grumbled and turned away. I guarantee you all the “no spitting” signs are for this demographic I was in there with.

Before the current restrictions I was going to the YMCA downtown that operated more like a gym, masks everywhere etc. at this public pool no one wears masks anywhere. It’s so fucked. When I am the “safest” person of like 60+ People in a public space, kinda feels like somethings wrong lol
Old 01-14-2022, 09:45 AM   #14342
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
Same here. I swear I have either a scratchy throat or a tickle in the sinus area almost everyday, like the very first time you notice you are about to get a cold/flu, and then it just goes away and doesn't materialize into anything as the day progresses. Super annoying.
That's my thinking and my experience as well. Here and there, I'd get a mild headache, a cough, scratchy throat and nothing materializes. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones who is asymptomatic.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2022, 10:59 AM   #14343

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Yea I'm getting occasional scratchy dry throat and dry cough. But not full blown sore throat. Not sure if Coronas or not.

But what I'm more worried about is sick ppl working, I have a co worker that showed up at work with symptoms, cough, sore throat and no smell. But management told him to hush hush cuz there's no staff and he's awaiting test results.

And another Chinese restaurant calling their chef to go back to work even though the whole family is home sick with symptoms.

Mild symptoms they said, reopen all the things they said.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:07 AM   #14344
in the butt

Thanked 3,222 Times in 1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Let alone the disgusting old fuck who actually spat in the fucking sauna

What if the guy was you
Profile pic n all

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2022, 01:01 PM   #14345

Quote:
Again, travel for the wealthy. While the peasants grinding away twiddle their thumbs locked away at home.

So I just went to a public pool in Burnaby, the absurdity of closing gyms is very apparent there. They should send a news crew there see what people think. So closing performance gyms, high intensity training centres, boxing facilities etc. that are almost exclusively younger, healthy people. Yet..at the public pool it’s nothing but fucking 70+ year olds face to face in close quarters chatting, no one in the r locker room wearing masks the “old boys” gathering in 6/7/10 person groups face to face.

Let alone the disgusting old fuck who actually spat in the fucking sauna who I called out and he just grumbled and turned away. I guarantee you all the “no spitting” signs are for this demographic I was in there with.

Before the current restrictions I was going to the YMCA downtown that operated more like a gym, masks everywhere etc. at this public pool no one wears masks anywhere. It’s so fucked. When I am the “safest” person of like 60+ People in a public space, kinda feels like somethings wrong lol
Which pool is this? I'll be sure to avoid taking my son there
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:04 PM   #14346

Thanked 6,699 Times in 1,626 Posts
Quote:

Even without Covid that sounds disgusting.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2022, 02:08 PM   #14347

Thanked 6,699 Times in 1,626 Posts
Some more doom & gloom news, both federal and provincial public health's are saying it's going to get worse before it gets better.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fed...urge-1.6315123
Quote:
New modelling released today by the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) suggests the highly transmissible Omicron variant will push hospital admissions to "extremely high levels" in the coming weeks as case counts reach levels never before seen in this country.

While there is a lot of uncertainty about how many new infections are being reported each day due to ongoing COVID-19 testing constraints, PHAC said the current test positivity rate suggests the variant is running rampant and there will be "several weeks of very intense activity expected to come."

Nationally, the positivity rate is a stunning 28 per cent. That means more than one in four tests for the virus are coming back positive — nearly five times higher than the rate at any other point in the pandemic.

While PHAC said Omicron is likely less severe than past variants — the risk of hospitalization is lower than with the Delta variant, for example — the sheer number of new infections means more people will be susceptible to severe outcomes, including hospitalization and death.
This is what I've been saying before, yes cases are milder, but there's just so much more. Like, a smaller percentage of a larger number is still a large number.

I know Hondaracer et al are all "well if nobody lives past 70 then we'd have no deaths or ICU", which is macabre but true, but then we'd also have no grandparents.............or MG1...
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2022, 06:22 PM   #14348
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Got my Moderna booster Wednesday. Got AZ then Moderna for my first 2 shots. My arm is still pretty sore. No symptoms first day but next day i had the spins and the chills for 4hrs i had to leave work to go sleep it off. Woke up in a pile of sweat. So i was basically feeling like shit for 8hrs. Today i feel great though
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:19 AM   #14349
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Like 68style said, we were away this weekend for 5 days and it was wonderful. Wednesday I went back to work and over that long weekend we had something like 40+ cases? I tried to get more info from a manager and was given the “I honestly don’t know, it’s been a revolving door”. So I buckled down, kept clean and safe.

Well, woke up this morning with a good sore throat…

Old 01-15-2022, 09:52 AM   #14350
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I've been avoiding looking at covid news as it's too depressing.

Has there been any indication gyms may reopen even at capacity on Tuesday? Or will the closure just get extended?
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote