REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   coronavirus discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716747-coronavirus-discussion.html)

quasi 03-25-2020 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 8979730)
Soo who's got the plug on where I can order n95s locally or online

My wife and son actually laughed at me when I brought some N95 masks home for work 3 weeks ago just in case.

welfare 03-25-2020 09:03 AM

You don't really need n95 masks. Unless you're a healthcare worker who is in contact daily with patients. Some of whom that are infected.
If you're just part of the general population, I'd say minding your hands, keeping them clean immediately after touching public objects, and keeping your distance from people/trying as much as possible to keep away from populated spaces, you're going to be just as well.

I know we all want to feel safe, but i personally don't think n95 is necessary for the general population.

welfare 03-25-2020 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 8979739)
holy crap...$2000 a month for 4 months?

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said that help is on the way for Canadians in terms of temporary funds during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

The prime minister said that the House of Commons passed the emergency bill for Canada’s $82 billion aid package for those affected by COVID-19.

He added that almost one million people applied for employment insurance last week.

“We will be there to help you,” said Trudeau. “Our government is doing everything we can to be there for you.”

The prime minister said that people who are covered include those who lost their jobs, those who are sick, quarantined, or looking after someone who has COVID-19, as well as parents who have to stay home with children, and contract workers or those self-employed.

The Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) announced will allow applicants to receive $2000 a month for the next four months for those who have lost their income during the coronavirus pandemic.

Additionally, the Government of Canada said “workers who are still employed, but are not receiving income because of disruptions to their work situation due to COVID-19, would also qualify for the CERB. This would help businesses keep their employees as they navigate these difficult times, while ensuring they preserve the ability to quickly resume operations as soon as it becomes possible.”

Trudeau said the online portal will be available as soon as possible, and Canadians will get the funds “within 10 days of applying.”

The federal government is looking to get money out “quickly and reliably” and Trudeau said that the system will be up and running by April 6.

“Checks will be flowing after that,” he said.

The CERB would be paid every four weeks and be available from March 15, 2020 until October 3, 2020.

The Canadian prime minister also said there will be more direct support for businesses.

“Help is on the way,” said Trudeau, who said that since Monday, the federal government has already processed 143,000 claims.

For the second day in a row, Trudeau said that Canada is facing its “greatest healthcare crisis in its history.”

He also continued to ask Canadians to stay home, and not go outside unless “you absolutely have to.”

“It’s not hard to do what we’re asking you to do, just stay home,” said the prime minister.

“To come through this, we must all look after each other and do our share.”

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/trud...T-NpEeuuWkTVfg

So how much of this funding is going into healthcare?
Because it would seem that if we don't want to continue doling out cheques for the next year or so, with an economy in ruins, having a capable healthcare system, which includes testing, would be the cornerstone to combating this.

Bouncing Bettys 03-25-2020 09:10 AM

The only celebrity I want to hear from during this pandemic:

spoon.ek9 03-25-2020 09:12 AM

The way I see it is, everyone is just trying to help in whatever ways they can. We can all look down on these celebrities if we wish to but they're still trying to do a good thing here. Hell, even if Brad fucking Marchand does a PSA I can't hate on the guy for doing it. Literally think of the person you hate the most in this world; whoever this may be, the message is the same and just as valid.

Mr.HappySilp 03-25-2020 09:26 AM

Doing support at home with clients is actually a lot harder. Some tools I take granted for at work is no longer there.

MG1 03-25-2020 09:30 AM

Sorry, I draw the line at Brad Marchand. I know it's the year of the rat and all, but that guy is just.................... nuff said.

blkgsr 03-25-2020 09:43 AM

wait so people who lost their jobs or aren't getting shirts/hours (while terrible) get $2000/month...is this on top of EI?

while the 205,000 workers in the BC construction industry, who have immensely worse working conditions (dirty/outside/unhealthy coworkers), need to keep going to going

what the fuck

westopher 03-25-2020 09:47 AM

No. Thats total amount available. Also, it's up to a maximum of 55% of your income. So if you were making $2800 a month before your job loss, you will be getting $1500.

Edit: maybe I misunderstood about the percentage. I know for sure you cant stack them.

Ludepower 03-25-2020 09:47 AM

Apparently its between EI or this handout. You cant stack it.

Pretty much means the people risking their lives working essential jobs get nothing.

westopher 03-25-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludepower (Post 8979758)
Apparently its between EI or this handout. You cant stack it.

Pretty much means the people risking their lives working essential jobs get nothing.

So say you're self isolating. Your employer would have to provide you with a layoff if thats the case.

blkgsr 03-25-2020 10:03 AM

ok the max EI payment is $575/week correct?

so if you make enough to get the max you'll get $2300.

Otherwise you get $2000?

Manic! 03-25-2020 10:15 AM

twitchyzero 03-25-2020 10:20 AM

QC adds over 300 cases overnight, now 600+ in montreal alone

https://www.ctvnews.ca/confirmed-cas...rted-1.4867741

quasi 03-25-2020 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8979745)
You don't really need n95 masks. Unless you're a healthcare worker who is in contact daily with patients. Some of whom that are infected.
If you're just part of the general population, I'd say minding your hands, keeping them clean immediately after touching public objects, and keeping your distance from people/trying as much as possible to keep away from populated spaces, you're going to be just as well.

I know we all want to feel safe, but i personally don't think n95 is necessary for the general population.

I'm thinking in case we get sick.

twitchyzero 03-25-2020 10:25 AM

that maxes at $4400/mo...i need to up my $14h balla game

where does it say you cant stack them?

westopher 03-25-2020 10:28 AM

The $2000/month is an emergency relief for those who don't qualify for EI IIRC

spoon.ek9 03-25-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 8979744)
My wife and son actually laughed at me when I brought some N95 masks home for work 3 weeks ago just in case.

great info here:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/masks...irus-1.5507186

regular surgical mask plus distancing is more than enough. no need for n95.

welfare 03-25-2020 11:16 AM

If anyone finds a detailed breakdown of this funding, can you please post it?
I'm very interested to know how much is going to which areas.
Thank you.

Bouncing Bettys 03-25-2020 11:18 AM

Simplex123 03-25-2020 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8979764)
QC adds over 300 cases overnight, now 600+ in montreal alone

https://www.ctvnews.ca/confirmed-cas...rted-1.4867741

They note that there was a spike of 1000 cases in the past 3 days was because they now consider cases from hospital testing and do not require a confirmation from the main lab.

What is the current situation in BC? Are we considering a positive hospital tested case a confirmed case?

westopher 03-25-2020 11:48 AM

BC is also considering people with symptoms who have been in contact with anyone who is a confirmed case, to be a positive case without even testing. It's a proactive approach which I was very happy to hear about.

ilovebacon 03-25-2020 11:52 AM

starting to my morning with an itchy throat... hope its nothing. :heckno:

Hondaracer 03-25-2020 12:05 PM

I’ve had a sore throat and mild headache coming and going for like a week now. I’ve never had allergies in my life but that last few years it seems like I kind of have intermittent congestion etc. So not sure if I’ve developed allergies over time or what

underscore 03-25-2020 12:06 PM

^ I never had any until I got absolutely blindsided by them one day in highschool. I'm talking sneezing every couple seconds for the whole 20min walk home. Since then they seem to fluctuate year to year but they seem to be able to develop whenever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 (Post 8979749)
Hell, even if Brad fucking Marchand does a PSA I can't hate on the guy for doing it. Literally think of the person you hate the most in this world; whoever this may be, the message is the same and just as valid.

You know things are getting weird when Brad Marchand and Piers Morgan are saying things I agree with.