REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   coronavirus discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716747-coronavirus-discussion.html)

6793026 03-19-2020 09:50 PM

All Californians, Nearly 40 Million People, Have Been Ordered To Stay Home To Stop The Spread Of The Coronavirus. Non essential shut down; only groceries.
My buddies keep saying they will ride their motorcycles to squamish "to get groceries" i'm like.. you think the cops are dumb?

Under state law, violations of the order are punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 or by imprisonment for no more than six months. Earlier on Thursday, Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf ordered all businesses except those that are "life-sustaining" to shut down until further notice. Under that order, only businesses deemed critical, like grocery stores, gas stations, and transit operations, may continue to operate.

NY is next? Toronto after?

Harvey Specter 03-19-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 8978831)
Not a conspiracy type but I can't help but wonder if this whole virus was purposely released as a way to ruin and reset the global economies at the expense of the middle / working / lower classes. An 'Order 66' of sorts.

Anything is possible. My Italian friend is hellbent that the current government made the pandemic worst and the EU also had involvement. Here's the articles he posted on his FB backing this "theory".

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ut-fund-reform

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKBN1XT26H

GS8 03-19-2020 10:05 PM

On a serious note, we have now reached 10,000+ deaths with this virus.

Also some numbers of interest:

Of China's 80,967 reported cases, 71,150 have recovered.

Of Italy's 41,035 cases, only 4,440 have recovered.

Of Switzerland's 4,222 cases, only 15 have recovered so far. I'm curious if Switzerland could become the next Italy or Spain.

Canada is currently at 19th for cases (873 reports with 11 recoveries so far)

I'm aware it takes time for the virus to pass but it'll be interesting to see how high the numbers will go.

Spectre_Cdn 03-19-2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 8978831)
Not a conspiracy type but I can't help but wonder if this whole virus was purposely released as a way to ruin and reset the global economies at the expense of the middle / working / lower classes. An 'Order 66' of sorts.

One paper states the origins to be natural:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0310164744.htm

full paper here: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

StylinRed 03-19-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 8978858)
On a serious note, we have now reached 10,000+ deaths with this virus.

Also some numbers of interest:

Of China's 80,967 reported cases, 71,150 have recovered.

Of Italy's 41,035 cases, only 4,440 have recovered.

Of Switzerland's 4,222 cases, only 15 have recovered so far. I'm curious if Switzerland could become the next Italy or Spain.

Canada is currently at 19th for cases (873 reports with 11 recoveries so far)

I'm aware it takes time for the virus to pass but it'll be interesting to see how high the numbers will go.

What I can't comprehend is how countries are allowed to set their own methods at counting cases, China I can understand cuz well.. Cuz china

But italy? Not counting, or even testing the dozens of ppl dying in senior homes? That skews statistics and decision making

Same with Canada not testing everyone who's sick

StylinRed 03-19-2020 11:20 PM

Netflix to cut streaming bitrates as isp's are saying they can't handle the load

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51968302

SkinnyPupp 03-20-2020 12:05 AM

Several gyms in HK have had customers with confirmed cases, one by one. Mostly expat gyms, which I don't go to, but I'll be not going to the gym for a while now. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before mine goes too.

3 locations of Pure (one customer), one called FLEX in Central, and one in SoHo. :heckno:

StylinRed 03-20-2020 12:20 AM

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...1584628559.jpg

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a31...qMHWxEguBy23Io

I hope those reseller hoarders get screwed

fliptuner 03-20-2020 12:22 AM

Edit - ninja'd

I'm so happy they're doing this. I hope other retailers follow suit.

All the hoarders can take their TP and shove it up their ass. I hope they get wet and moldy.
https://i.imgur.com/hKVNqcZ.jpg

Manic! 03-20-2020 12:55 AM

Was at Costco around 6:30 P.M. and the place was dead. They had more employees than customers.

bobbinka 03-20-2020 01:00 AM

https://i.redd.it/jkz6xdxf1in41.jpg

SkinnyPupp 03-20-2020 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8978860)
What I can't comprehend is how countries are allowed to set their own methods at counting cases, China I can understand cuz well.. Cuz china

But italy? Not counting, or even testing the dozens of ppl dying in senior homes? That skews statistics and decision making

Same with Canada not testing everyone who's sick

A lot of countries have fucked up counting systems. Japan's looks bad, and Germany has an exceptionally low death rate. But in Germany they don't test people after they die, so...

IMO at this point it doesn't matter so much what the numbers themselves are. We've seen that known cases double every 3 days in countries that do quite a bit of testing. That should be plenty of info to act upon.

J____ 03-20-2020 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8978799)
SOME things in TCM and Ayurveda (Indian version) have been studied and proven, and have led to real medicine. TCM has tortured bears using their bile salts to treat liver ailments for decades if not centuries. That led to the development of a synthesized version, UDCA which is an amazing drug. Saved my wife this year SeemsGood

So there's definitely some efficacy behind it. I just don't believe in the theories they use with all the "heat" and "meridian" shit. Test it outside China with double blind studies, and I'll believe the facts.

I used to not believe TCM at all until recent years. First experience was I had prolonged diarrhea everyday for 2 years straight when I first came back to Shanghai. Nothing worked and every medical test came back normal. Went to some famous TCM doc, he looked at my tongue, took my pulse, got purscribed a weeks worth of medicine, instantly better. The other time was I have horrible knee pain in my right knee to the point of not being able to walk. MRI and everything came back normal and no medicine really cured it. Went to another small TCM clinic, the doc put some needles in the back of my knee and lit it on fire. The next day pain is completely gone. The pain still flares up from time to time and everytime I just go get poked by some needles and it's fine for half a year. Both times the TCM doc said was due to lack of heat or some shit like that. Pretty freaky...

StylinRed 03-20-2020 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8978874)
A lot of countries have fucked up counting systems. Japan's looks bad, and Germany has an exceptionally low death rate. But in Germany they don't test people after they die, so...

IMO at this point it doesn't matter so much what the numbers themselves are. We've seen that known cases double every 3 days in countries that do quite a bit of testing. That should be plenty of info to act upon.

Yeah with Japan, they're counting on holding the Olympics still, so I wouldn't be surprised that they're numbers are suspect

SkinnyPupp 03-20-2020 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8978876)
Yeah with Japan, they're counting on holding the Olympics still, so I wouldn't be surprised that they're numbers are suspect

Events are starting to take place already. Stardom wrestling is putting on a show with a full audience on March 24, checking temperatures before letting anyone in, and they will give anyone a mask who doesn't have one.

It is possible that they have it under control, but if their borders were open in the last few weeks, it's hard to see how they are preventing incoming sick people. Now with many international flights grounded, even that is less of a threat (maybe? I'd have to look at the numbers again)

Their culture is well suited for handling things like this.

welfare 03-20-2020 06:14 AM

If anyone reading this is in the position that i was yesterday, still going into work, in an environment where transmission is highly possible due to dealing with customers or objects that are handled by multiple other people. You may have a boss who is likely to keep open until a mandatory shutdown is imposed (non essential service), which i completely understand.
NO ONE is going to make the decision for you. YOU need to make that call.
Think about who is in your household or immediate contact, and If they have any underlying issues.
Healthcare is becoming and will quickly progress to overwhelm. They will be prioritizing.

Customers at my work were still bringing their vehicles in for things that were absolutely not critical.
The employees were concerned but worried about disrupting the routine.
If one person steps up and says to their boss "I'm concerned about who i may spread this thing to if i continue to work here", others will follow and soon it won't be tenable to keep the doors open.
The more doors that close, the less services will be available for people to just go about daily life and risk spreading this.

I hold my work in the highest regard, and i am a critical component of my workplace.
There are many workers there over the age of 70 still going in. Sometimes you have to force the hand when people won't do it on their own.
I could live with making a decision that others there may be upset over. But not the repercussions of ignoring a decision i should have made.

If you're in that same boat, please think of those things. Thank you.

https://secureservercdn.net/198.12.1...distancing.jpg

BrokenEuro 03-20-2020 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8978886)
If anyone reading this is in the position that i was yesterday, still going into work, in an environment where transmission is highly possible due to dealing with customers or objects that are handled by multiple other people. You may have a boss who is likely to keep open until a mandatory shutdown is imposed (non essential service), which i completely understand.
Think about who is in your household or immediate contact, and If they have any underlying issues.
Healthcare is becoming and will quickly progress to overwhelm. They will be prioritizing.

Customers at my work were still bringing their vehicles in for things that were absolutely not critical.
If one person steps up and says to their boss "I'm concerned about who i may spread this thing to if i continue to work here", others will follow and soon it won't be tenable to keep the doors open.
The more doors that close, the less services will be available for people to just go about daily life and risk spreading this.

I hold my work in the highest regard, and i am a critical component of my workplace.
There are many workers there over the age of 70 still going in. Sometimes you have to force the hand when people won't do it on their own.
I could live with making a decision that others there may be upset over. But not the repercussions of ignoring a decision i should have made.

https://secureservercdn.net/198.12.1...distancing.jpg

I am in the same boat. I made the decision to take a couple days off at my expense, but unfortunately (checking the work calendar from home), the dealership will still be operating full force on Monday.

Ludepower 03-20-2020 06:52 AM

I believe dealerships are an essential service. People need their cars fixed. I dont know what they'll do about bodyshops. Its upto ICBC if they wanna stop approving work and pull the plug.

If you're a flat rate employee who works in their own little area and wipe down the car I see the risk being minimal. I'm not going to judge others from making a living or the bosses that need to pay their lease but I wont blame you for staying home.

The blame relies on the government for keeping the charades going.

GIZZ 03-20-2020 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludepower (Post 8978891)
I believe dealerships are an essential service. People need their cars fixed. I dont know what they'll do about bodyshops. Its upto ICBC if they wanna stop approving work and pull the plug.

If you're a flat rate employee who works in their own little area and wipe down the car I see the risk being minimal. I'm not going to judge others from making a living or the bosses that need to pay their lease but I wont blame you for staying home.

Bonnie Henry already said, if you’re work cannot maintain social distancing you are closed, it’s an order.

Hondaracer 03-20-2020 07:08 AM

https://i.imgur.com/T7bvDEn.jpg

Mr.HappySilp 03-20-2020 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludepower (Post 8978891)

I always though essential service is like police, fireman and hospital service and hydro. The rest aren't essential service (although some people can argue it should also include cable/internet and cell phone service).

Ludepower 03-20-2020 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8978895)
I always though essential service is like police, fireman and hospital service and hydro. The rest aren't essential service (although some people can argue it should also include cable/internet and cell phone service).

Correct me if I'm wrong. But the dealership have powerful lobbyist and they justify it because people need their cars fixed to keep the economy going.

I think we can agree they would be the last to close and first to open during these uncertain times.

Hondaracer 03-20-2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8978895)

The govt. has deemed internet and phone service essential

inv4zn 03-20-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8978898)
The govt. has deemed internet and phone service essential

On this note, Netflix (at least in Europe) has throttled streaming quality at the request of ISPs due to huge influx of users staying at home.

VR6GTI 03-20-2020 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8978886)

so did you quit, take vacation days, take sick days?