REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   coronavirus discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716747-coronavirus-discussion.html)

Harvey Specter 03-21-2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8979185)
I think end of March early April.
But I wonder what's going to happen to the economy? So many people are affected already, more lay off to come and small business go out of business. Let's say this blow over by may (doubt it) how long before the ECU recover? I mean we have no money they can't afford to pay bills, mortgage, rent, food, utilities etc etc. Is the government going help out? How many people will benefit? Will the government defer property tax? Is a long lasting process… if people can't pay recession will come.and then good luck everyone. So many people is already in debt what will happen?

We're in a recession.

I know people are hoping the Government will bail them out, it's not going to happen. All they're doing is soften the blow and keeping this country afloat during the lockdown. Once the pandemic is over, the harsh economic reality will set in for many of us.

People will be losing their jobs, businesses will be closing, people will have to walk away from their homes or investment properties because they're over leveraged and every sector of our economy is going to be affected one or another.

Just take a look at our billion dollar tourism industry, it's over for them. Even if our pandemic is over, no one will be travelling. No will be interested in flying, cruise ships will empty or even cancelled. Other countries might be in lock down and in a recession themselves so who's going to be coming to vacation here. I don't even think our RE market is going to escape this time.

Remember the articles for the past couple of years about Canadian debt levels been at record high levels, highest of any developed country and we should all be worried, well it looks like Covid was the pin that burst our bubble and this time around we're not going to be immune to a recession like we were in 2008. In fact I think Canada will be in worst shape than the US this time around.

tegra7 03-21-2020 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovebacon (Post 8979193)
I already had thoughts of going bald.

Same here. Worst comes to worst, ill give myself a buzzcut.

ilovebacon 03-21-2020 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey Specter (Post 8979199)
We're in a recession.

I know people are hoping the Government will bail them out, it's not going to happen. All they're doing is soften the blow and keeping this country afloat during the lockdown. Once the pandemic is over, the harsh economic reality will set in for many of us.

People will be losing their jobs, businesses will be closing, people will have to walk away from their homes or investment properties because they're over leveraged and every sector of our economy is going to be affected one or another.

Just take a look at our billion dollar tourism industry, it's over for them. Even if our pandemic is over, no one will be travelling. No will be interested in flying, cruise ships will empty or even cancelled. Other countries might be in lock down and in a recession themselves so who's going to be coming to vacation here. I don't even think our RE market is going to escape this time.

Remember the articles for the past couple of years about Canadian debt levels been at record high levels, highest of any developed country and we should all be worried, well it looks like Covid was the pin that burst our bubble and this time around we're not going to be immune to a recession like we were in 2008. In fact I think Canada will be in worst shape than the US this time around.

What should we do and are you going to be affected by this?

SFU_wmc 03-21-2020 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 8979198)
We bought a month’s worth of canned goods, frozen meats/fruits/veggies, non-perishables, and items that can be made without short-shelf life products (like milk). Also grabbed lots of juices and froze a 19 L jug of water.

Extra freezer definitely coming in handy.

Curious, why freezing 19L of water?

subordinate 03-22-2020 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovebacon (Post 8979203)

Save money and no big purchases to start with.

subordinate 03-22-2020 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFU_wmc (Post 8979204)

Use as ice if electricity goes down?

JD¹³ 03-22-2020 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovebacon (Post 8979203)

Everyone will be affected. Those who weren't over leveraged, held cash, or got out of the markets before the record crashes are the only ones who will be treading water.

The Liberal government was spending like a drunken sailor for the past five years while not producing economic growth to match it. They added tens of billions in debt and still had only a 0.3% GDP growth in Q4 2019. I'm sure that will be audited to flat and Q1 2020 was already going to be 0 or negative GDP growth as a result of the blockades. All of this during the greatest global economic prosperity we'd ever seen; the markets were juiced. Canada was entering a recession before COVID-19 hit, plus OPEC decided to kill the energy industry to say 'fuck you' to Russia and their pricing games. Canada is now in big, big trouble. Harvey is putting it nicely saying we'll be worse off than the US.

Bouncing Bettys 03-22-2020 12:37 AM

I've been subscribed to Thunderf00t since Elevatorgate. That SJW crap seems a world away now. Worth a watch.

Jmac 03-22-2020 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFU_wmc (Post 8979204)

Freezing prevents bacterial growth and, in the event of a prolonged power outage, it can be used as a cold source to keep other items cool as it won’t thaw very fast, COVID-19 symptoms include a fever (can use cold water on a cloth to use on forehead, drinking cold water better for fever)

mb_ 03-22-2020 01:14 AM

StylinRed 03-22-2020 02:58 AM

https://scontent.fyvr3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...9f&oe=5E9ECCF1

whitev70r 03-22-2020 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey Specter (Post 8979199)
We're in a recession.

I think this may be our generation's great depression, not just a recession.

MG1 03-22-2020 06:07 AM

You know it's getting bad when this happens, lol.

Spoiler!

welfare 03-22-2020 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegra7 (Post 8979154)
No.

Have you spoken to the foreman? Techs? How do they feel?
If they share your concern, you have leverage.
If they don't have techs to work, the doors close indefinitely.
If management won't make adjustments to place health at a higher priority, you can force them to.
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

welfare 03-22-2020 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD¹³ (Post 8979207)
Everyone will be affected. Those who weren't over leveraged, held cash, or got out of the markets before the record crashes are the only ones who will be treading water.

The Liberal government was spending like a drunken sailor for the past five years while not producing economic growth to match it. They added tens of billions in debt and still had only a 0.3% GDP growth in Q4 2019. I'm sure that will be audited to flat and Q1 2020 was already going to be 0 or negative GDP growth as a result of the blockades. All of this during the greatest global economic prosperity we'd ever seen; the markets were juiced. Canada was entering a recession before COVID-19 hit, plus OPEC decided to kill the energy industry to say 'fuck you' to Russia and their pricing games. Canada is now in big, big trouble. Harvey is putting it nicely saying we'll be worse off than the US.

At this point i don't think it even matters how ineffectively this government has navigated the economy. Decades of low interest rates, coupled with an artificially inflated housing market, positioned Canadians as the most indebted country in the developed world. Our dollar tied to a resource whose market we have no control over.
Did they cause it? No. They also didn't do anything about it. Understandable though, considering the prime job of a politician is to be re-elected, not fix problems.

Half a million ei claimants, equating to a 2.6% increase in unemployment this week alone. The US is projected to see 20% unemployment before we come out the other end of this.
These numbers haven't been seen since the 30's.
Of course, the US will come out on top. They always do. They are a capitalist powerhouse with the world's strongest and most influential military.
And Canada will benefit because of it. as we always have. Due to our geographic location and tied history.
Children of a common mother.

Manic! 03-22-2020 07:11 AM

After a lot of complaints nanaimo has shut down all parks.

https://nanaimonewsnow.com/2020/03/2...ents-concerns/

Quote:

NANAIMO — City officials have followed the lead of other municipalities in the region, along with pressure from Nanaimo residents and shut down playgrounds during the COVID-19 pandemic.

On Friday, March 20, the City of Parksville announced the immediate closure of all parks under its control. Other jurisdictions soon followed suit, however no announcement came from the City of Nanaimo.

Late on Saturday, March 21, city CAO Jake Rudolph published a statement on the City’s website confirming the immediate closure of all city parks.

Badhobz 03-22-2020 07:25 AM

Shit, I can’t help but feel we are totally behind the 8 ball. Seems like now is the time to over respond and enforce a stay in place act instead of just “asking” people to stay home. There’s always going to be some idiots who will ignore these recommendations. Less if it’s a legal order enforced by cops and punitive fines associated.

Cain and friends will finally do something worth while ?!

Hondaracer 03-22-2020 07:25 AM

Dr. Bonnie is doing such a good job!

*Looks at the parks and beaches

:heckno:

The provinces messaging between her and that sack of crap Adrian dix is so mixed it’s no wonder people are still out, literally in the same paragraph she’s saying go out for walks with family and small groups, and in the same breathe says don’t go out. You obviously have to make it cut and dry because people are not able to read between the lines.

welfare 03-22-2020 07:48 AM

Unleashed, the forces of capitalism.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN218105
Quote:

(Reuters) - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the first rapid coronavirus diagnostic test, with a detection time of about 45 minutes, as the United States struggles to meet the demand for coronavirus testing.

The test’s developer, California-based molecular diagnostics company Cepheid, said on Saturday it had received an emergency use authorization from the FDA for the test, which will be used primarily in hospitals and emergency rooms. The company plans to begin shipping it to hospitals next week, it said.

The FDA confirmed its approval in a separate statement. It said the company intends to roll out the availability of its testing by March 30.

Under the current testing regime, samples must be sent to a centralized lab, where results can take days.

“With new tools like point-of-care diagnostics, we are moving into a new phase of testing, where tests will be much more easily accessible to Americans who need them,” U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar said on Saturday.

NKC ONE 03-22-2020 11:49 AM

Young healthy male neighbor showed heavy symptoms (fever, difficulty breathing, maybe more) of covid. Called for the ambulance. They came, checked his vitals and sent him back home with a facemask. Told him to call back if symptoms escalate. Didn't test him as they said he'll have a way higher chance of getting it at the hospital while getting tested, SMH. He looks like he's about to die.

Don't trust the numbers they are putting out. You pretty much have to be near death for them to even attempt to test you. We're right at the beginning of this shit show. Don't be naive and please respect this virus. Do your part. Don't think that you're young and its ok. Even if you don't die from it, it'll still most likely be the worst experience you'll ever have.

I really hope they do mandatory door to door testing asap when they have the technology and resources to do it.

Its gonna be a rough ride.

MG1 03-22-2020 11:54 AM

I'm just going out for a drive........... only getting out of car to charge the EV. Disinfect the plug. I live in a detached home, so no contact there. Go see the wife at the cemetery, then off to Lee Valley Tools to pick up an order. It's all paid for and they'll bring it out to car. I'll ask them to just place the order in the trunk. I'll wave bye through closed windows. When I get home, I'll wipe the items down wearing gloves and hazmat suit.

I'm doing my part.

As a side note...........

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/03...pen-vancouver/

Hondaracer 03-22-2020 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NKC ONE (Post 8979239)
Young healthy male neighbor showed heavy symptoms (fever, difficulty breathing, maybe more) of covid. Called for the ambulance. They came, checked his vitals and sent him back home with a facemask. Told him to call back if symptoms escalate. Didn't test him as they said he'll have a way higher chance of getting it at the hospital while getting tested, SMH. He looks like he's about to die.

Don't trust the numbers they are putting out. You pretty much have to be near death for them to even attempt to test you. We're right at the beginning of this shit show. Don't be naive and please respect this virus. Do your part. Don't think that you're young and its ok. Even if you don't die from it, it'll still most likely be the worst experience you'll ever have.

I really hope they do mandatory door to door testing asap when they have the technology and resources to do it.

Its gonna be a rough ride.

Two things - If I was him I’d 100% want to ride it out at home as long as possible. As they said, the experts, it’s going to be much worse if you’re at the hospital. If you’re going to take everyone in that state to the hospital that’s when the health care system will crumble

- door to door testing is pointless and a huge waste of resources. Knowing you have it one way or the other is somewhat irrelevant and will just cause panic and again, a further strain on the system. Assume you have it and be healthy in your approach.

Coren 03-22-2020 12:31 PM

fuck this family

https://globalnews.ca/news/6715338/c...-masks-selling

JSALES 03-22-2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coren (Post 8979243)

Such fucking scums

Special K 03-22-2020 12:57 PM

$40 a box is actually pretty good price. Not sure about quality but I saw Canadian Tire selling masks at $33 and CL asking for $60 a box of 50 pcs.