REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #7801
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,254 Times in 1,228 Posts
"How can you pay them back $18,500 when you have no income?"

You basically had no income beforehand what the fuck did you do with the $18,500 you otherwise wouldn't have had?
Advertisement
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2020, 07:06 PM   #7802
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Another person who can't pay back their ($18,500) CERB despite making less than $5,000 last year.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...back-1.5838395
It feels like these "small business" owners are just tax evasion experts that want to have their cake and eat it too.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #7803
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,618 Times in 5,178 Posts
I used to work in child tax benefit investigations and it should be of no surprise to any of you that people who are poor managers of money don’t suddenly become good at managing it when they get sudden sums of it.

We used to get guys apply for their kids and say they had custody for like 2 years and want back pay, successfully provide “evidence” and get paid out and then find out they lied and have to take it back and it would have been all gone already and then we’d be left with garnishing wages and whatever else.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2020, 09:26 PM   #7804
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Vaccines are needed to eliminate the virus... Everyone becomes immune, the virus can't spread, old people (and everyone else) are safe.

You're talking about 12K deaths like it's nothing
No. You made that assumption. I spoke facts and you spoke opinion, like that matters.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:32 PM   #7805
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Lol, as if Very Conservative Men would even go to a doctor to get diagnosed. It's not part of their cultural coda "man-up, don't be a pussy".
Wow. Hate it up. Think it's partisan cool to laugh at others.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:45 PM   #7806
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,199 Times in 7,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
I know the article is intending to draw sympathy but it's a little tough to see someone going from $400/month or less to over $3000, as a victim, because they're asked to pay it back.
Nice touch the MP explaining how to cook the books and cheat the system at the end too.
I mean, how can you rely on a business that essentially made you nothing to begin with?
To be fair though, there is a possibility that SOME of these people are newly self employed that opened their business and invested, took a loss in their first year with the plan to have it as an actual income (after eating through savings coming from previous income) but I definitely don't think that's the norm here.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:05 AM   #7807
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,847 Times in 8,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
No. You made that assumption. I spoke facts and you spoke opinion, like that matters.
You were being flippant and sarcastic about the deaths 10s of thousands of Canadian seniors.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:40 AM   #7808
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
"How can you pay them back $18,500 when you have no income?"

You basically had no income beforehand what the fuck did you do with the $18,500 you otherwise wouldn't have had?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
It feels like these "small business" owners are just tax evasion experts that want to have their cake and eat it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I used to work in child tax benefit investigations and it should be of no surprise to any of you that people who are poor managers of money don’t suddenly become good at managing it when they get sudden sums of it.

We used to get guys apply for their kids and say they had custody for like 2 years and want back pay, successfully provide “evidence” and get paid out and then find out they lied and have to take it back and it would have been all gone already and then we’d be left with garnishing wages and whatever else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I mean, how can you rely on a business that essentially made you nothing to begin with?
To be fair though, there is a possibility that SOME of these people are newly self employed that opened their business and invested, took a loss in their first year with the plan to have it as an actual income (after eating through savings coming from previous income) but I definitely don't think that's the norm here.
People just have no shame. How do you go on CBC or any other news outlet with a straight face and play the victim?

Like holy fuck, you went from earning peanuts to earning more than 7 times your income. How the fuck were you living or how were you living when you made 7 times more?!

Christmas is cancelled? Fuck off.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #7809
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,847 Times in 8,209 Posts
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:27 PM   #7810
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,356 Times in 975 Posts
i work in the pay industry and HOLY F, you'll be surprised the number of people who has to garnish salaries nowsdays.

1) back in our dad's era,people live within their means
2) now, teens - 40 has a chunk of garnishing salary due to credit card bills / child support

I won't be surprised due to covid, people will have to back pay on shit and people are going to have to have legal actions forced by their employers to garnish salaries.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:20 AM   #7811

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
i work in the pay industry and HOLY F, you'll be surprised the number of people who has to garnish salaries nowsdays.

1) back in our dad's era,people live within their means
2) now, teens - 40 has a chunk of garnishing salary due to credit card bills / child support

I won't be surprised due to covid, people will have to back pay on shit and people are going to have to have legal actions forced by their employers to garnish salaries.
I used to see some for sure when my dad had his construction company. They wouldn't last long because the first time someone got garnished they'd quit and go work somewhere else and the chase game would continue. Most the time it was the Govt. because lots of these shit rats work sub contract and pay their own taxes except many of them don't pay their taxes. They just bounce company to company and eventually they just leave the area and start over in a new one. It's kind of pathetic really.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:24 AM   #7812
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
If you ever been suckered into going to a pyramid, mlm or even any of those new companies where u have to sell your friends shit. 1 of the things they teach u is that u "pay yourself" before paying anything else off with ur paycheque (rent, credit card bills, ect.). As u know some people are too stupid realise how bad that concept really is and some take it 1 step further and buy frivolous things and say thats investing in themselves
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #7813
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,470 Times in 995 Posts
i hired a guy who was pretty flakey, but when he was working he was a fast learner. too bad that lasted 2 days. he's about a 45yo guy i'd guess.

-first day he shows up late, i let it slide because we really needed a guy.
-second day he comes on time and shows promise, but he says he has to leave early tomorrow (third day).
-third day he works till 12, then at night i miss 2 calls from him.
-fourth day i get a call from him at 8am saying he tried to tell me the other night he couldn't come today.
-fifth day (friday) he doesn't show up to work so i call him and let him go. he's literally begging me for his job, saying he needs it really bad. i told him that you don't act like you need it really bad... in 5 days you worked less than 20 hours..

2 weeks later i get a letter in the mail saying to withhold his pay and send it to child support, he owes $45k. pretty sure he was addicted to drugs or alcohol as well. one of the other guys told me he smelled like liquor on his first and second day, but when i confronted him about it he said he drinks but not at work (fucking duh).
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2020, 08:05 AM   #7814
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,403 Times in 5,675 Posts
All those ppl are exactly the same and none of them ever have their priorities straight.

Had the exact same scenario with a labourer I had at my last job, the guy was ALWAYS bitching about his situation with his seperated wife and kids and having to provide for them etc.

However, work seemed like the least of his concerns and there were constant calls about how he couldn’t come in today because he had to bring his kids to school etc.

Well, it should be much easier to provide for them now that you’re fired.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:24 AM   #7815
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,385 Times in 3,911 Posts
Mutated strain in the UK spreading quickly in southern England 1000+ cases so far identified, they're saying not to be alarmed because they don't know if the mutation is significant yet

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55308211
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:51 AM   #7816
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,403 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Wow. Hate it up. Think it's partisan cool to laugh at others.
What's "partisan cool"? You just make that up?

It's not me laughing, it's conservatives who are the ones constantly belittling and demeaning people who seek mental health support.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #7817
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5840802

This might be worse than COVID.

2020 sucks
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #7818

So relatively strict measures for more than a month now, yet the deaths going up more per day than ever.

And we’re still not addressing where all the deaths are happening, well done.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 12-14-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:33 PM   #7819
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,747 Times in 905 Posts
https://www.google.com/amp/s/globaln...te-dec-14/amp/

O so still 700+ a day and over 100 dead a week
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #7820
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,404 Times in 554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
So relatively strict measures for more than a month now, yet the deaths going up more per day than ever.

And we’re still not addressing where all the deaths are happening, well done.
Deaths is concerning but a very laggard indicator, how lagged I have no clue.

Not sure what the average hospital stay time per patient and average time from intake to release/death looks like.
Teriyaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #7821

So hypothetical scenario..

The vaccine provides protection against serious symptoms/cases. However, it doesn’t protect from transmission and it’s not necessarily effective in preventing deaths (as in you’re 85 years old and you’ve had the vaccine but you still get it and die, even though your symptoms were relatively minimal it was enough to kill you.

Everyone’s getting vaccines but we’re still seeing weeks of 30/40/50 deaths

Now what? If those BCCDC numbers show that virtually no one under the age of 50 dies/is hospitalized/admitted to ICU but the numbers are virtually the same as they are now for the 70+ crowd, are we still stuck in this lock down scenario? Because that seems like a potential possibility given the unknowns of the efficacy..
Old 12-14-2020, 04:01 PM   #7822

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The vaccine provides protection against serious symptoms/cases. However, it doesn’t protect from transmission
What has been stated is that they don't have enough data to make a call on how much it impacts transmission, meaning it wasn't a primary focus of the testing regime (Which was vaccine efficacy and safety). They never said it doesn't stop transmission at all.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #7823

seems like kind of an important thing to deduct from a 44,000 person test group no?

to circle back around on the discussion on previous pages, the test groups for the vaccine were more than enough to convince people its safe, but it wasn't adequate to determine the efficacy in preventing transmission?
Old 12-14-2020, 04:13 PM   #7824

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
Like I said, they had certain testing and data they had to prioritize, efficacy and safety for general adults.

This is why the Vaccine is not yet approved to administer to pregnant women and children under 16. Not because it's inherently unsafe but because they haven't done enough testing and gather enough data to pass the requirements.

I'm sure transmission rates after being vaccinated is something they will still test and develop certifiable data for.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:02 PM   #7825
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
so what was the efficacy they tested for and what was the goal? that 95% of people didn't die? that 95% of people had mild symptoms? from what i understand, pfizer says they
dont even know if the vaccine actually prevents you from getting sick or if it just makes symptoms milder. all they've proven is that 95% of people have an antibody response to the vaccine.