REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:39 PM   #10851
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Is there any constructive way to discuss getting vaccines with Anti-Vaccers? Or is it a lost cause? I have family that sent me a video of Dr. Sherri Tenpenny who is the leading cuckoo of the movement.
Unfortunately you can't argue with crazy.

Unless you go crazier. Tell them that the anti-vax movement was actually a Russian operation to undermine the Western world/economy by causing them to come to a halt. That the anti-vax movement actually hurts us because we're falling into Russia's plan because we're doing exactly what the KGB wants us to do. Then proceed to call them sheep.

*edit: throw in that Russia and China are in league with one another. China unleashed the virus and Russia created the propaganda for the anti-vax movement grinding everything to a halt and for the communism to make a come back. Also tell them to get ready for WW3.
Advertisement

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:41 PM   #10852
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
My friend just sent this:

anyone interested? this is happening right this second
Damn, need this for Pfizer, I'm ready to zoom ova
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:45 AM   #10853
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post

With Air Canada the only reason they're giving refunds now is because the Feds bailed them out. We're basically as taxpayers paying for everyone's refunds so you might as well get it while you can since it's your money.
We're also paying for their bonuses

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...-in-executive/
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:16 AM   #10854
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,257 Times in 1,621 Posts
Quote:
Is there any constructive way to discuss getting vaccines with Anti-Vaccers? Or is it a lost cause? I have family that sent me a video of Dr. Sherri Tenpenny who is the leading cuckoo of the movement.
I wish I had the answer to this. When it comes to people you're more close with (ie family/relatives/friends) they might be more willing to listen to reason. Strangers with anti-vax thoughts in their minds I really have no idea how to approach. They don't care about facts because they think they know better before the conversation even begins.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:54 AM   #10855
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,719 Times in 890 Posts
^^ yes it's called natural selection
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:35 AM   #10856
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,980 Times in 1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Unfortunately you can't argue with crazy.

Unless you go crazier. Tell them that the anti-vax movement was actually a Russian operation to undermine the Western world/economy by causing them to come to a halt. That the anti-vax movement actually hurts us because we're falling into Russia's plan because we're doing exactly what the KGB wants us to do. Then proceed to call them sheep.

*edit: throw in that Russia and China are in league with one another. China unleashed the virus and Russia created the propaganda for the anti-vax movement grinding everything to a halt and for the communism to make a come back. Also tell them to get ready for WW3.
Woe, that's some sophisticated cray cray ... I don't even understand what you wrote! So Anti-vaxxers generally hate communism and if you can associate Anti-vaxxers with communism, then maybe it will jar them from their narrow thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
I wish I had the answer to this. When it comes to people you're more close with (ie family/relatives/friends) they might be more willing to listen to reason. Strangers with anti-vax thoughts in their minds I really have no idea how to approach. They don't care about facts because they think they know better before the conversation even begins.
I don't engage with strangers on the street so yah, this is family. Their one declaration is always, 'Mainstream media' doesn't give this angle much time or credence. So already, they eliminated any accepted mainstream media and newpapers, they resort to those wacky sites and quote 'Dr's' who are quack Dr's. I think it might be the case of, OK, you go ahead and believe what you want to believe but let's just not talk about it during family meals.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:46 AM   #10857
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
They are best to be ignored. They want you to engage. If you don’t, they’ll move onto someone who will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #10858
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,393 Times in 5,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^^ yes it's called natural selection
We've prevented natural selection with warning labels, laws that restrict everyone to protect the outliers from themselves, catering to the lowest common denominator in our social practices and national healthcare.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:48 AM   #10859
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Woe, that's some sophisticated cray cray ... I don't even understand what you wrote! So Anti-vaxxers generally hate communism and if you can associate Anti-vaxxers with communism, then maybe it will jar them from their narrow thinking?
Sort of? Make it whatever you want. I'm sure you can tailor it to your audience.

You're basically going to out crazy them by saying that their anti-vax belief is actually the giant hoax/fraud. Since they believe that the vaccine/covid is fake, you're going to one up them by telling them that the anti vax movement is the real fraud that is being perpetuated by Russia and China in order to destabilize the western world.

China releases the virus and keeps it quiet until it has spread world wide. Then they miraculously have a miracle vaccine and bring everything back to normal within weeks. Russian KGB creates fake news/propaganda that releases it to the western world so that the virus can still run rampant through the streets while they also vaccinate their own. Why else do you not hear about the virus being an issue in Russia?

So the communist countries can now gain power with the western power countries still reeling from the virus because the anti-vax movement is slowing their ability to get back to normal.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2021, 07:55 AM   #10860
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,980 Times in 1,896 Posts
^ Do you think you can jar them with the 'red pill' by not focusing on the actual issue (whether it be vaccines or Trump) and demonstrate that how they got to their position is a series of algorithms designed by Social Media that brought them to their rabbit hole?

That is, invite them to watch Social Dilemma - https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/81254224

Edit ... omg, it's worst than I feared. This family member has got signal as the app to communicate .. she's gone full blown conspiracy. Masks are the signs of the beast, end times stuff, pandemic is setting up the kingdom for the anti-Christ ... holy shit! Husband is a CA, she has a university degree, both daughters are going to University ... not just uneducated hillbillies.

Last edited by whitev70r; 06-01-2021 at 08:16 AM.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:57 AM   #10861
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Lost cause.

Do any of them smoke? Cigarettes have thousands of chemicals in them, Many which are known to cause cancer, yet a vaccine may somehow give them autism while they're in their 40's or give them some other sort of disease down the road which would be far greater than developing lung cancer/COPD/chronic bronchitis from the past 20 years of smoking.

I was really hoping vaccine passports came out, make it an actual stamp or sticker with a holographic display that can be put in your passport. See how bummed out those free spirited hippies become when they find out they can no longer travel the world or even cross down to the states to get gas or visit family. I'd find it funny if those who are already globetrotting and currently in another country get refused entry to other countries without being vaccinated. Sorry, you're stuck in this country without a valid work visa and you're not entering elsewhere until you've been jabbed.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:12 AM   #10862
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Tell them to discuss it with their GP. High chances their GP is pro vaccine. Make it more acceptable by reinforcing that their GP knows their medical history, they've been their GP for so many years, so the information provided is likely trusted so ask their GP all the vaccine questions they got and see if it's recommended to your family member to take. Dr. Tenpenny doesn't know squat about your family member's medical history.

Oh and if your family member doesn't have a GP. Then my condolences to you because it's a lost cause to discuss anything medical with that family member.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #10863

Thanked 4,559 Times in 1,709 Posts
Got mine yesterday. Posted this one my social, love to rile these people up, and it worked.

Fuck em
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #10864

Thanked 4,559 Times in 1,709 Posts
Quote:
^ Do you think you can jar them with the 'red pill' by not focusing on the actual issue (whether it be vaccines or Trump) and demonstrate that how they got to their position is a series of algorithms designed by Social Media that brought them to their rabbit hole?

That is, invite them to watch Social Dilemma - https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/81254224

Edit ... omg, it's worst than I feared. This family member has got signal as the app to communicate .. she's gone full blown conspiracy. Masks are the signs of the beast, end times stuff, pandemic is setting up the kingdom for the anti-Christ ... holy shit! Husband is a CA, she has a university degree, both daughters are going to University ... not just uneducated hillbillies.
Ask them it they'd visit the Congo without getting a yellow fever, dengue, typhoid, or malaria vaccination.

I bet they wouldn't.

The antivaxers I see on my social media and a few friends that buy into that always tend to be the least educated.

These are the same people I see pop pills or drink GHB made in a bathtub of some random, or stuff shit up their nose in which they have no idea where it came from.

These people also have no hesitation to drink profusely, or eat garbage food, and yet their primary concern is a vaccine from a pharmaceutical company that can be sued into oblivion if such vaccine lacked real efficacy?

You can't sue the drug dealer you just bought that bump from, but yes doubt the vaccine

These people are asinine.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2021, 11:53 AM   #10865

Quote:
I saw this online and thought it was pretty funny:

https://www.boredpanda.com/anti-vaxx...mpaign=organic

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:56 AM   #10866
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
I ran into my first Anti-Vaxxer the other day. It was my neighbour across the street who I've talked with a lot over the years, he's a car guy and into BMW's (always working on something broken LOL). I've lent him my tools lots of times.

We were talking and kinda said "Yeah things are looking up, I got my vaccine" yada yada, then he kind of went off. The conversation after that that really got awkward.

I should have thought he was a bit of a nut when I noticed he had aluminum foil covering his BC Hydro Smart Meter years ago
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #10867
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,393 Times in 5,088 Posts
^ I hope he knows only brand name aluminum foil keeps the spies out... the no name brand shit is too thin and tears easily under heavy spying
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #10868
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts

"70.4% of all adults in BC have received their first dose."

We've reached the vaccination requirement for stage 3 and 4. Now it just depends on how they view the numbers as declining or low

Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:09 AM   #10869
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Old 06-02-2021, 08:34 AM   #10870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Yellow star of David badge. The same one the Nazi's made the Jew's wear.
"Strong adhesive back" as it's safety pinned on with all edges frayed.

Can't wait to see how the trucker hats turn out!
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2021, 08:49 AM   #10871

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
I imagine the hat will be all red to suit their clientele
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2021, 08:50 AM   #10872

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Yellow star of David badge. The same one the Nazi's made the Jew's wear.
"Strong adhesive back" as it's safety pinned on with all edges frayed.

Can't wait to see how the trucker hats turn out!

Add a bit more to my previous post

Looked up the original origin of the badge and it's been used throughout history and worn as a "Badge of Shame" which were also used for public humiliation (think of the black and white striped prisoner outfits).

Are they shaming & humiliating themselves at the same time or are they expecting it to be some sort of power statement?????
Old 06-02-2021, 08:54 AM   #10873
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
I think the fact that most anti-vaxxers can’t just stfu and not take the vaccine but instead have to promote these ideas into everyone possible just goes to show it’s not really a personal view but some fucking self-assuring consirpacy theory akin to every other one out there
Old 06-02-2021, 09:02 AM   #10874

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
Imagine comparing advanced medical treatment for your protection to genocide.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:17 AM   #10875

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I think the fact that most anti-vaxxers can’t just stfu and not take the vaccine but instead have to promote these ideas into everyone possible just goes to show it’s not really a personal view but some fucking self-assuring consirpacy theory akin to every other one out there
Lol, 100%. My son's boxing training the last few weeks have been at a park in Langley to get them outside. Two weeks ago we had some religious zealots using the amphitheatre preaching to a bunch of people who DGA and last week was the anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers spewing off for his practice.

The first week I had the random religious guy asking me how I liked the sermon, I'm like honestly I don't and I'm not really listening. He gave me a look like I just farted in his face and he starts debating me on why I don't like it. I'm like dude, fuck off I'm trying to watch my kid you don't see me coming up to you telling you how bullshit your religion is do you?

Last week I'm talking to my wife and I'm like what are they trying to accomplish from this shit? First off most likely masks won't be mandatory in a month and second you really think you're going to change anyone's mind?

Get vaccinated, don't get vaccinated I really don't give a fuck I'm not going to try and convince someone against the vaccine to get it, do you fam.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: