REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #10901
I don't get it

Don't wait for the invitation for 2nd dose if it has been 8'ish weeks. Last week, I registered for the second dose for my grandma (~9 -10 weeks since her first) and got an text message the next day to register a time slot.
Advertisement
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2021, 08:14 PM   #10902
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
I thought you needed a second dose to get the long-term protection? Idk how that would work with mixed vaccine types though.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:21 PM   #10903
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I’m still waiting for the invitation text for 2nd dose. It says I’m eligible. Oh well, I’ve waited for over two goddamn years for my Nexus interview. Still not happening.
I had to reregister my parents, the system said they were already registered, but after reregistering they got the appointment booking txt the very next morning, coincidence maybe, but ehhhh
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2021, 08:38 PM   #10904
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,264 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I thought you needed a second dose to get the long-term protection? Idk how that would work with mixed vaccine types though.
With Pfizer/Moderna, 2 weeks after your first dose you're at roughly 90%. The second dose is a booster shot and brings you up to about 95%.

Mixing of vaccines still has very limited information on it. Also, everyone needs to understand that even though a health authority says something is now acceptable, that doesn't mean we actively practice it just yet. Our supply is excellent at the moment so there really is no reason to be mixing.
Spoiler!

Last edited by spoon.ek9; 06-04-2021 at 02:50 PM.
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #10905
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,560 Times in 1,710 Posts
I'm curious when a more firm stance will finally be announced in regards to travel?

If you're vaccinated, will you no longer need to hotel quarantine, mask requirements on planes as a result of being vaccinated, etc.

I know some people on the fence because they're waiting for these requirements to be announced before they get their jab. I personally think that's silly, but it would spur more people to finally get their vaccine.

BTW, there's a class action lawsuit in terms of the mandatory hotel restrictions:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...d-restrictions

Curious if they will have any result in the government scrapping that requirement.

If you can't tell, I'm dying to get the fuck on a plane and outta here.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:20 AM   #10906
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
Mixing of vaccines still has very limited information on it. Also, everyone needs to understand that even though a health authority says something is now acceptable, that doesn't mean we actively practice it just yet.
Or, you could be like my, god rest her soul, grandma, who believed/worshipped all religions. She told us, when she dies, she wants to be guaranteed a good after life. I don't think she knew the Klingon way of life. No Sto'Vo'Kor for you! If grandma were still around, she would ask for all vaccines. Even the "Made in China" ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Same............... I'm afraid I'm not going to go anywhere on a plane until the case count in the US and Canada are way low. Lower than an old, black man's voice. Vegas, Reno, San Diego, Texas to see el bastardo, etc. Question is, will I ever see that day anytime soon? My days are numbered. Maybe in Sto'Vo'Kor........... dabo girls, ftmfw!
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #10907
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,376 Times in 1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I'm curious when a more firm stance will finally be announced in regards to travel?

If you're vaccinated, will you no longer need to hotel quarantine, mask requirements on planes as a result of being vaccinated, etc.

I know some people on the fence because they're waiting for these requirements to be announced before they get their jab. I personally think that's silly, but it would spur more people to finally get their vaccine.

BTW, there's a class action lawsuit in terms of the mandatory hotel restrictions:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...d-restrictions

Curious if they will have any result in the government scrapping that requirement.

It's insane, if you are fully vaccinated there's absolutely no leeway at all for you returning to Canada on a plane from another country.
Need a PCR test before you board your plane from a foreign country.
Need to quarantine for 3 days at a hotel on arrival.
Need to spend the balance of 14 day quarantine at home.

But no months ago we were letting in unvaccinated masses from the Indian subcontinent with fake tests and a slap on the wrist $3000 fine for not hotel quarantining.

There's no way I'm even considering international travel until this BS gets lifted. And I fucking live for this shit.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2021, 12:38 PM   #10908
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,292 Times in 2,507 Posts
I can only say this for myself, but because I received a Pfizer shot as the first dose, if I were offered anything other than another Pfizer shot as the second dose, I think I am going to turn it down and wait.

Quote:
Mixing of vaccines still has very limited information on it. Also, everyone needs to understand that even though a health authority says something is now acceptable, that doesn't mean we actively practice it just yet. Our supply is excellent at the moment so there really is no reason to be mixing.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #10909
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
It's insane, if you are fully vaccinated there's absolutely no leeway at all for you returning to Canada on a plane from another country.
Need a PCR test before you board your plane from a foreign country.
Need to quarantine for 3 days at a hotel on arrival.
Need to spend the balance of 14 day quarantine at home.

But no months ago we were letting in unvaccinated masses from the Indian subcontinent with fake tests and a slap on the wrist $3000 fine for not hotel quarantining.

There's no way I'm even considering international travel until this BS gets lifted. And I fucking live for this shit.
I think they issued no leeway because they don't want Canadians bringing back even more variants. The thing we need to remember is that the vaccines aren't 100% effective, so there's still a small chance that you can be infected and bring it back.

They don't want to come across as purposely targetting certain countries/ethnicities, so they just issue a blanket statement across the board.

We're a hell of a lot more likely to see relaxed protocols between Canada/US than the rest of the world. I don't see any sort of feasible (non-quarantine) international travel until 2022 at the earliest. It wouldn't surprise me if it went into 2023 with how some countries are handling the entire vaccination process.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:59 PM   #10910
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,376 Times in 1,228 Posts
We need to form travel bubbles as soon as it's practicable with countries with the same level of vaccination as us - starting with the US then followed closely by certain European countries. Banning flights from India/Pakistan was already purposely targeting certain nationalities so I don't see this as avoidable unless we want to put the final nail in the coffin for our hospitality industry.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2021, 01:46 PM   #10911
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,755 Times in 3,869 Posts
I know there’s a difference between first dose and ‘fully vaccinated’ but the numbers are very different.

CDC shows by state, they vary between 70% and 90+% vaccinated

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...rst-doses.html

Yet other sources show the highest state is Vermont with 56%, lowest being Mississippi at 27%.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...-march-15.html

I still stand by what I said, let’s try to keep the border closed as long as possible, whether by air to other continents, or the US via land
Old 06-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #10912
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
https://www.iheartradio.ca/am800/new...ens-1.15350039

proposing PCR even for fully vaccinated, the line-up coming back will be insane if it goes through
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:35 PM   #10913
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

proposing PCR even for fully vaccinated, the line-up coming back will be insane if it goes through
Could it be that thats the very tactic to discourage travelling at this point?

Make it a pain in the ass, dissuade the ones who were kinda just on the fence?
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #10914
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,755 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

That only makes sense if they require the exact same for Americans coming up to Canada.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:48 PM   #10915
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,707 Times in 1,051 Posts
all the more reason not to go. spend your canadian dollars in canada
The Producer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:41 PM   #10916
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,264 Times in 1,624 Posts
If plane tickets for flying within Canada weren't so ridiculous, I'd do it. Makes no logical sense to me that I can spend less money to fly to HK roundtrip than it costs to get to Ontario.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2021, 09:46 PM   #10917
MG1

Take a road trip across Canada like I did. It is an amazing country we live in. It took me four and a half weeks. I just wish I had a dashcam with me to record it all.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2021, 10:23 PM   #10918
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,707 Times in 1,051 Posts
Quote:
If plane tickets for flying within Canada weren't so ridiculous, I'd do it. Makes no logical sense to me that I can spend less money to fly to HK roundtrip than it costs to get to Ontario.
it's under 250 return to toronto right now (totally random search, I've heard as low as 120 bucks return)

it costs more for me to drive round trip to williams lake

off topic, but still - once it opens this may be the best year to travel canada by air. it cost me 2500 bucks to go to PEI 2 years ago
The Producer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2021, 11:07 PM   #10919
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
it's under 250 return to toronto right now (totally random search, I've heard as low as 120 bucks return)

off topic, but still - once it opens this may be the best year to travel canada by air. it cost me 2500 bucks to go to PEI 2 years ago
Cot dam, that's cheap. I'll stay over at bcrduke's place or Tos'd, my other son.

Seriously, that is very good news.

Old 06-05-2021, 12:49 AM   #10920
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
Quote:
damn, i spent like half that to get to patagonia lol
only place in canada i wanna fly to is NL
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:48 AM   #10921
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:

I can't stand that, I was in Australia for a fair amount of time back in 2018-2019 and I could fly across Oz for $100 or less, return, and their dollars lower than ours

Makes no sense why domestic flights r so bloody expensive here

If I'm paying 2500 I'm sure as hell not going to be flying within Canada wth
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #10922
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
I just booked a flight to Montreal in July and it was the same price I paid back in 2008 even with a 20% air Canada promo code..
Old 06-05-2021, 10:19 AM   #10923
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,897 Posts
Great ... now we have to be concerned and worry about a Delta variant !
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:35 AM   #10924
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,292 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Great ... now we have to be concerned and worry about a Delta variant !
Isn't the delta variant just the India strain? Given the BC population's close ties with India, I was under the impression that it has been here for quite some time already, and the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines should be partially effective against it.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:15 AM   #10925
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,897 Posts
Its a 'wildcard'.

Delta variant heightens urgency for second doses to stop spread, scientists say

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...-say-1.5457500
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote