REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:04 AM   #12151
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc. View Post
Agreed. I get that no one likes wearing masks or going for shots, but an outright refusal to to get more shots or refusing to mask up again based on new and changing information is ridiculous.

It not like the Govt is holding back a ton of information. The decisions they make at a point in time is based on the best information they have at that time. If the information changes or new information is available, of course the decision may change.

Its like you are playing the lottery and after you picked your numbers, someone tells you what half the numbers will be and you refuse to change your numbers because they didn't tell you earlier.
Are they holding back information? Probably. Are they making decisions based on real world data from around the world? Seemingly not. Or at least they are very hesitant to provide the public with informed opinions on the future.
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2021, 11:17 AM   #12152
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
I'm vaccinated, if you want to wear a mask, do you, personally for me, I hate it.

I don't want masks to become part of the norm, it's been absolutely fantastic this last month or so not having to do so, especially at the gym.

This will be interesting to see how this plays out in terms of the vaccination status.

What happens when it's decided that 2 vaccines aren't enough? That a 3rd or 4th booster is required to adhere to the vaccination policy, and be allowed to patronize establishments, etc?

If that happens, I think that's when you'll see a real inflection in the public's response to this. Most feel by their 2nd dose, they've done their due diligence. If you add yearly or more regular additional vaccines to the process, I guarantee you'll see major public blowback, and not just from the "mouth breathers".
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2021, 11:21 AM   #12153
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Because until the people who refuse to get a vaccine get them, were always going to be doing this same song and dance. We take one for the team, they don't, numbers spike, new variant, new booster, restrictions lifted, restrictions back. Once they figure out how to get those people on board will I consider a booster.
So basically become the people you are mad at?

Guy at my work who is fully vaccinated got COVID last week - his daughter came home from daycare with it and he was knocked out for several days. Another co-worker's nanny who is also fully vaccinated got COVID as well but ducked any sickness.

Considering the risks of passing it to my parents or other people you can bet I'm lining up for a booster as soon as its available to protect myself and my family - I don't think what others choose to do should be a factor in my decision making here.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #12154

Hesitancy with the boosters is going to be such that it won’t really matter whether you’re doing good by your family etc. The uptake is going to fall off a cliff from the general public.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:33 AM   #12155
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
What if the next booster is designed specifically to fight off the Delta variant? Would you line up for that one?

I don't get the whole argument that we should never backtrack on things because PHO said this or said that it's like a child's way of arguing:

Child (public): But Mommy Henry you said I didn't have to wear masks anymore!
Henry: I know, but we found new evidence that you can still transmit and also the virus is worse now.
Child: Buuu...but you SAID, YOU SAID!!!
Henry: *rolls eyes*

As if nature gives a fuck what one person says or even what the collective will of humanity wants. Nature does whatever the fuck it wants, Nature is Metal.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2021, 11:35 AM   #12156

I think it’s moreso the annoyance of going backward. Why did we even remove them in public places at all if that was a source of transmission. When they loosened the rules the delta variant was still around
Old 08-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #12157
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
It wasn't at this level it was now. I believe back in early July it was still less than 30% of cases now it's almost 100%. Was it a mistake to remove the mandate? I think so. However I'm happy that we learn from our mistakes and do an about face instead of digging in on bad decisions like some other jurisdictions *ahem Texas*

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #12158
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
So basically become the people you are mad at?
So you don't have a line that you'll draw? You'll literally do whatever the government asks of in the name of Covid, no matter what it is? The first time you say "ehh I don't know about that" we all get to say you're "becoming one of those people" ?

I'm very far from someone that's anti government or anti vaccine, but I'm definitely not going to blindly jump in line for every new idea they come up with.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2021, 12:10 PM   #12159
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
What if the next booster is designed specifically to fight off the Delta variant? Would you line up for that one?
By the time a booster shot to deal specifically with the Delta variant comes out and enough people have lined up for it and gotten it, the next variant will already be out and we'll start from square 1 again.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:21 PM   #12160
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
So you don't have a line that you'll draw? You'll literally do whatever the government asks of in the name of Covid, no matter what it is? The first time you say "ehh I don't know about that" we all get to say you're "becoming one of those people" ?

I'm very far from someone that's anti government or anti vaccine, but I'm definitely not going to blindly jump in line for every new idea they come up with.
My comment was that the choice of others to not get vaxxed won't affect my willingness to protect myself and my family - if booster shots are available and the science shows they are a good preventative measure then I'll take them. I'm not going to deny myself the protection b/c I'm angry at the anti-vaxxers.

You seemed to be suggesting that b/c someone else is making a bad medical decision that affects you that you'll also make a bad medical decision for yourself out of spite. "Those people won't stop smoking outside my door so I'm going to START smoking too! You just watch!"
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #12161
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
People take the flu vaccine every year. Is that not a booster? It's not like people take 1 flu shot and next year go "oh i already got a shot last year so fuck that i'm never taking another one"

What's the difference if we need a booster for covid? Is it because it's going to be within 6 months of the 2nd shot that it is making people paranoid?

And we know that new variances are coming out which makes the vaccine less effective. Studies from Israel are showing a third shot booster is increasing the protection against the Delta variant. These are studies that weren't available 3 or 4 months ago because it is NEW information, and with that new information the professionals are changing direction from what they stated earlier. Makes sense doesn't it?
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2021, 12:30 PM   #12162
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Child (public): But Mommy Henry you said I didn't have to wear masks anymore!
Henry: I know, but we found new evidence that you can still transmit and also the virus is worse now.
Child: Buuu...but you SAID, YOU SAID!!!
Henry: *rolls eyes*

Reminded me of this.........

Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 01:02 PM   #12163
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
I bet re-instating this mask mandate is going to barely put a dent into the case counts.

When the mask mandate was implemented in November it came along with very heavy restrictions on gatherings public and personal (Remember we couldn't even have guests over at our own house?) Closed restaurants, etc etc.

People seem to associate our case reduction at that time with the masks, but I think it had WAY more to do with the outright lack of social contacts over those few months.

Going back to masks is certainly not going to help anti-vaxxers come around. All it's going to do is confirm is that the government will force public policy on everyone else to support their own bad decisions.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2021, 01:42 PM   #12164
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts

Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #12165

If you think people are going to be lining up for booster shots at the same rate as the initial vaccination program, I emplore you to listen to AM 980 around 230 when Adrien Dix comes on for questions lol
Old 08-24-2021, 01:56 PM   #12166
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:

The government isn't the one creating the vaccines though. They aren't "coming up" with anything in that respect.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2021, 02:57 PM   #12167
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...book-1.6151914

Criticism where criticism is due, this is a pretty stupid blunder.

Although I guess they fessed up to it, which is better than the alternative.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #12168
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Mistakes are bound to happen in any field of work, and all things considered, only 500+ persons are affected is a very small number compared to the overall total that has been processed through the Revelstoke vaccination clinics.

As I'd always say -- it is how you handle mistakes that is the more important part. Of course the people involved need to be more careful, but I am not even gonna criticize this blunder.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 04:48 PM   #12169
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
so we waited from 40 cases until 750 to reinstate masks?

why would anyone want to be on crowded train or bus without one regardless of jab status?

can’t believe they’re are still people refuting their effectiveness and the resistance from the top doc is a real head scratcher

there are examples that work real well, why we trying to reinvent the wheel

this half open half closed business is not sustainable long term
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 04:50 PM   #12170
Need to Seek Professional Help

I guess it’s clear we are looking at another few years of booster shots and on/off mask restrictions at a minimum.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2021, 04:59 PM   #12171
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
Someone in our company group chat posted
"masks go back into effect tomorrow, etc etc"

Then our #1 anti vaxxer posted
"the vaccines didnt work so we have to wear our masks again, copy that"

Nearly crying from laughing so hard

Just to top it up someone else posted
"the sales in masks must be dipping down. Too much stock"

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2021, 05:23 PM   #12172
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
I'm surprised people post such personal / risky opinions on a company group chat. Whether my views were extreme or not I certainly wouldn't make them known in that arena.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #12173
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
^ ya my anti-covid vaxx (he’s fine with others, just not mRNA) colleague is the same. Talks about it non-stop but got annoyed when I put his position in writing recently. It wasn’t broadcast company wide, just within a select few who work with him regularly.

I guess my bad but if you can’t stop voicing your opinion verbally every. Single. Fucking. Day. Then stand behind it IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #12174
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Why do these fucking idiots think they know something the whole medical field doesn’t about mRNA. Some dipfuck I was talking to the other day was telling me that if pilots get the mRNA they aren’t allowed to fly because it’s too dangerous.
I asked him if he’d like me to call my pilot friend and he declined. I asked anyways and he’s like “no it’s pretty much the opposite. Tell him to shut the fuck up”
Of course the next part of the convo talks about studies that tucker Carlson has showed, etc.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2021, 06:58 PM   #12175
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
So with mRNA vaccines having around 88% effectiveness against Delta (rather than 99% with typical covid), to reach herd immunity we now need about 97.4% of the population to be vaccinated.

This also means the vaccines that are less than 88% effective against Delta (AZ, Sinovac, maybe J&J?) are impossible to achieve herd immunity.

This is assuming a variant worse than Delta doesn't pop up.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote