REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Best Sushi In Town (https://www.revscene.net/forums/257577-best-sushi-town.html)

Liquid_o2 03-17-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 7348396)
Think i already posted this in here somewhere but, hands down best sushi in surrey is Tokachi on KG and 108. its pretty highly rated on all the food websites as well.

I'll give it a shot. Reviews look pretty good.

RiceIntegraRS 03-17-2011 06:00 PM

^LMK, i hate having to drive out of Surrey to get good sushi

murd0c 03-18-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Think i already posted this in here somewhere but, hands down best sushi in surrey is Tokachi on KG and 108. its pretty highly rated on all the food websites as well.

I go there fairly often and I have never had a bad meal. I have to agree it has the best sushi in Surrey hands down.

Neoxphuse 03-21-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Hell yes. I've posted a review on Yelp. Hands down best in Surrey for sure, and arguably one of the best in the lower mainland. I just posted about it in the 'what's in surrey' thread.

I just hope it doesn't get too hyped up where they start rushing orders and the quality diminishes.

kevin7352 01-06-2012 07:03 PM

bump! i'm thinking about getting some takeout tonight for a late dinner
:alone:

any new spots in vancouver?

604Playa 05-06-2012 12:29 PM

Tatsu Japanese Bistro
try the Eggplant! it freaken great! sashimi was so fresh, melt in my mouth goodness! =)

Phozy 05-06-2012 02:46 PM

Just a reminder Tokachi is located in a shady looking building in a shady looking area, but don't judge a book by its cover :)

ChaSuiBow 05-09-2012 03:11 PM

Nothing beats Samurai sushi in terms of Portion and Price :hotbaby:

dyan 05-09-2012 03:18 PM

^
Samurai sushi? :heckno:

Rather pay more and have better tasting sushi..

Galactic_Phantom 05-09-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaSuiBow (Post 7913848)

:suspicious:
this thread is for 'best sushi in town'

Senna4ever 05-09-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Not much of a connoisseur, are you?

:moderatorban:

unit 05-10-2012 01:22 AM

well hes right, nothing beats it in terms of portions and price..

Obsideon 05-10-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 7914398)

So is spearing a salmon up at Capilano and munching into it... Samurai is seriously disgusting, got so sick last time I ate there many eons back when I didn't know any better :heckno:

With that being said, is Tokachi better than Hanako? I don't frequent Surrey often but I was down at Hanako last month and it was one of the best sushi places I've been to. If Tokachi is really better than them ... it could possible be worth another drive out there to try it ... :accepted:

PJ 05-10-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 7914398)

This is technically true..

But it's at a point where their portions are TOO big to even enjoy. I remember when I went there years ago, each piece of the spicy tuna roll was like the size of a tennis ball.

Also, I watched the chefs repeatedly use the same cloth they keep tucked in their apron to wipe their hands, the table, and their knives, in that order. Which then they proceed to cut more food with their only knife.

I'm not going back, ever.

But I guess if low price and big portions are certain people's main concerns, then I could see how it'd make sense to get their sushi fix here. You get like double the portions for the same price at the next below-average sushi joint.

Obsideon 05-10-2012 09:42 PM

It's so big that you can't even put it in your mouth properly without looking like Shrek, and it just isn't right to be biting chunks out of a piece of sashimi ... or when the rolls are so big you have to eat it in 3 bites, which then it's not really a "sushi" anymore. I've seen the House roll, or Alaska rolls at Samurai, it's impossible to eat in one bite, so therefore you take one bite, get a mouthful of avocado, then the next bite is just rice and tuna, then the last bite is imitation crab meat. Sushi is meant to be prepared so that you can enjoy all the flavours combined to get the full effect, not chunks of seperate pieces. You might as well grab a whole avocado, take a bite, swallow. Then grab a piece of salmon from the fridge, take a bite of that, then spoon some rice into your mouth while your at it?
:Puke:

bd0n 05-10-2012 10:06 PM

Famoso Pizzeria
commercial drive
8.5/10
First of all, the place is not a sit down service and is a chain restaurant. And for some people on commercial, it can turn away some people who dont want to bother(I saw 5 couples walk away after realizing the concept), but if you stay, the food is worth it! The pizzas can easily compete with anyone in the city, and the dessert and gelato list was impressive. The service and overall chain feel stopped it from a 9, but im sure the'll iron out the kinks before all is said and done. Overall if you have a gf, or wanna go on a date with a girl who will ONLY go to cactus,earls, blah blah blah, this is the place for you lol.

Obsideon 05-10-2012 10:27 PM

lolwut? http://t.qkme.me/3mpp.jpg
Quote:

Originally Posted by bd0n (Post 7915199)
Famoso Pizzeria
commercial drive
8.5/10
First of all, the place is not a sit down service and is a chain restaurant. And for some people on commercial, it can turn away some people who dont want to bother(I saw 5 couples walk away after realizing the concept), but if you stay, the food is worth it! The pizzas can easily compete with anyone in the city, and the dessert and gelato list was impressive. The service and overall chain feel stopped it from a 9, but im sure the'll iron out the kinks before all is said and done. Overall if you have a gf, or wanna go on a date with a girl who will ONLY go to cactus,earls, blah blah blah, this is the place for you lol.

Senna4ever 05-11-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bd0n (Post 7915199)
Famoso Pizzeria
commercial drive
8.5/10

LoL...WTF... :confused:

smarv 05-11-2012 09:20 PM

A couple places ive been to lately:

sushi town (west van)
10/10
Best sushi place I've ever been to hands down, i suspect it to be under the same owner as sushi garden the portions, recipes, and pricing were identical but with better service and atmosphere.

Eatery (kits)
9/10
very creative menu, food and service was great.

kingsway sushi (burnaby)
4/10
my spicy scallop roll literally tasted like the back of a fridge, my sashimi was good but very small portion. i don't plan on going back that scallop roll was disgusting... :Puke:

Obsideon 05-11-2012 11:21 PM

^ No offense but with those ratings I think you need to really get out more...

dlo 05-12-2012 01:27 AM

Yeah u needa go to ebisu :fullofwin:

PJ 05-12-2012 08:52 AM

I love Eatery.. some good times there.
But to me it's more of a funky playful restaurant as opposed to a real sushi place.
I guess it depends what your definition of "real sushi" is

kevin7352 05-12-2012 10:07 AM

Togo Sushi at oakridge
Nishiki Sushi on victoria and 49th
Sushi town on hastings by SFU
Shima ya on victoria
:thumbs:

Recon604 05-12-2012 10:19 AM

Shota Sushi 8/10