REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Best Sushi In Town (https://www.revscene.net/forums/257577-best-sushi-town.html)

donot521 06-08-2010 10:24 AM

Torarenbo in Richmond

Edit: I also agree that AYCE cannot be in the same sentence/topic as Best Sushi In Town. It may be decent, but to real sushi fans, we would not consider AYCE as Best for sure.

Mugen EvOlutioN 06-08-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsvs (Post 6980323)
Sushi Hachi +1, that is about right, the last few times I went it is usually $50+ per person, but we ordered a lot of blue fin tuna lol.

Don't every try Miku, I am not trying to sound racist, but Miku is kind of white/japanese fusion mixed in a bad way. The quality is very very average, and the dishes can be found in any other japanese restauarant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 6980512)
You won't be disappointed. I've been going to Miku since it opened and can't get enough of their food. Their sushi is quite different from your normal sushi too which makes it great. Whatever you do you must get the Aburi Salmon sushi. Just talking about it i think I'm gonna go in a couple days again haha

damn getting two mixed reviews here about miku

but guys try out HANAKo in surrey, near guildford

not the prettiest restaurant, but they have some of the freshest fishes out there. Their blue fin tuna is a lot better than Sushi hachi, i ordered 3 pieces and was very disappointed after what i had at Hanako.

Give hanako a try and see what you guys think.

sushi hachi chef recommand sashimi is almost a rip off, $25 bux for a TINY pieces taster appe. The deluxe assorted nigiri sushi for $25 is much better value

unit 06-08-2010 03:02 PM

^i like hanako. the chef is very skilled and is fun to watch

winson604 06-08-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6982842)

not the prettiest restaurant, but they have some of the freshest fishes out there. Their blue fin tuna is a lot better than Sushi hachi, i ordered 3 pieces and was very disappointed after what i had at Hanako.

sushi hachi chef recommand sashimi is almost a rip off, $25 bux for a TINY pieces taster appe. The deluxe assorted nigiri sushi for $25 is much better value

There's only 1 way to find out and that's to go try it for yourself. Hit me up if you want some reccomendations. Neither me or the other guy have really gone into detail why I think it's good and why he thinks it sucks. So really you have no basis in our reviews right now. I'm still standing pat that I think their food is pretty awesome and that a lot of their sushi you can't really get anywhere else.

shawn79 06-08-2010 05:44 PM

all the AYCE are shit

sunny_j 06-09-2010 08:59 PM

has anyone ever been to the richmond fujiya sushi on bridgeport?

J____ 06-09-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn79 (Post 6983290)
all the AYCE are shit

not ebei. I can honestly say best AYCE sushi in north america.

Jer3 06-09-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 6983179)
There's only 1 way to find out and that's to go try it for yourself. Hit me up if you want some reccomendations. Neither me or the other guy have really gone into detail why I think it's good and why he thinks it sucks. So really you have no basis in our reviews right now. I'm still standing pat that I think their food is pretty awesome and that a lot of their sushi you can't really get anywhere else.

i'm a purist so i can say im on the boat which is against miku. i prefer my nigiri to be without any kind of tampering so i can taste the quality and freshness instead of it being masked by being made into aburi (which miku claims to copyright which is beyond me) or sauced to hell. if i'm to compare the quality of miku vs say sushi hachi, the quality makes sense. flying in aji, kohada, kinmedai, ootoro etc. is expensive so its understandable but miku doesn't seem to have anything different from the usual offerings i'd get from a regular place minus the posh ambiance, service and highly absurd prices apparently.

donot521 06-10-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunny_j (Post 6985295)
has anyone ever been to the richmond fujiya sushi on bridgeport?

Yes.

They have packaged sushi, ideal for lunch. It's OK, but not great. If you want pretty good take-out/packaged sushi, I think Izumiya on 3 Road+Alderbridge(next to Espot) one ups Fujiya.

Heavy_user 06-10-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donot521 (Post 6986009)
Yes.

They have packaged sushi, ideal for lunch. It's OK, but not great. If you want pretty good take-out/packaged sushi, I think Izumiya on 3 Road+Alderbridge(next to Espot) one ups Fujiya.

If you try the Fujiya located on Clark Dr. and Venables St., they have better selections and the sushi their are more fresh.

sunny_j 06-10-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donot521 (Post 6986009)
Yes.

they dont have an english menu on their website

winson604 06-11-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jer3 (Post 6985524)
i'm a purist so i can say im on the boat which is against miku. i prefer my nigiri to be without any kind of tampering so i can taste the quality and freshness instead of it being masked by being made into aburi (which miku claims to copyright which is beyond me) or sauced to hell. if i'm to compare the quality of miku vs say sushi hachi, the quality makes sense. flying in aji, kohada, kinmedai, ootoro etc. is expensive so its understandable but miku doesn't seem to have anything different from the usual offerings i'd get from a regular place minus the posh ambiance, service and highly absurd prices apparently.

Understanding and although Miku is one of me and my gf's favorite joints we don't always go there. Depending on our mood sometimes we just want good ol regular rolls and nigiri. I wouldn't say their sushi is masked the shit out of with sauce though but thats me. Their prices also aren't as bad as one thinks. At least it's not like going to Tojo's or whatever that place is on Broadway. =\

bcrdukes 06-11-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunny_j (Post 6986209)
they dont have an english menu on their website

I grew up having sushi from Fujiya either because I had swimming lessons at Britannia Pool and because I went to Britannia Secondary. Fujiya was just a short walk from school. :)

I haven't been to Fujiya in ages but if my memory serves me correct, they have your basic run-of-the mill nigri and maki sushi (nothing exotic) and several options for take-out bento boxes consisting of chicken, beef teriyaki and grilled salmon bento boxes. They also have a few choices for dons such as oyako don and unagi don. They may or may not have expanded their offerings over the years but I can't see them doing that.

If you ever do visit Fujiya it happens to be a location where they make the sushi in-house, ALWAYS ask them to make the sushi fresh so that way you know you're getting the freshest sushi possible. They will not hesitate! I hope that gives you a basic idea of what they serve. By no means does Fujiya serve gourmet sushi. :D

Edit: FML. If you were referring to Izumiya, I am sorry for the fuck-up of a post made towards Fujiya. :p

Senna4ever 06-11-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsvs (Post 6980323)
Don't every try Miku, I am not trying to sound racist, but Miku is kind of white/japanese fusion mixed in a bad way. The quality is very very average, and the dishes can be found in any other japanese restauarant.

All "Japanese" restaurants serving sushi can be considered white/Japanese fusion, actually. Any restaurant serving California Rolls or Spicy Tuna Rolls or any roll where the rice is on the outside of the roll is not authentic, traditional Japanese sushi. Ask for a California Roll at a traditional sushi restaurant in Japan: they won't know what the hell you're talking about, and when you explain it to them, you'll get kicked out. :p

Zyzz 06-11-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6982842)

well im the type that frequents the likes of hapa, guu, kinyo, ebisu, so that is why I do not like that style. Reminded me of white chinese restaurants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 6988058)
All "Japanese" restaurants serving sushi can be considered white/Japanese fusion, actually. Any restaurant serving California Rolls or Spicy Tuna Rolls or any roll where the rice is on the outside of the roll is not authentic, traditional Japanese sushi. Ask for a California Roll at a traditional sushi restaurant in Japan: they won't know what the hell you're talking about, and when you explain it to them, you'll get kicked out. :p

thats why i dont order california roll/spicy tuna roll or any kind of rolls :P. I only order nigiri such as hamachi, daitoro, aji, etc..

cctw 06-13-2010 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss_crayon (Post 6977559)
So fyi: the place I forgot the name of is zipang sushi which bcrdukes made a post about in the main forum.

I haven't been here in ages and don't know if its still there but when I worked in richmond (back in like 06) I'd always go to this place called sushi han. I think it was on blundell..and gilbert? Blundell and something. I do believe it was owned by japanese people and everything was always tasty!
Posted via RS Mobile

sushi han is in the mall on blundell and no.2 road..and yes the food is decent..

but i'm loyal to ichiro/takeya haha

rageguy 06-30-2010 02:12 AM

miku is excellent if you are looking for a fusion white style specialty food. it has rolls that are amazing, like those specialty ones in ebisu. it has wonderful wagyu beef sashimi which melts in your mouth. in other words, miku is only good for those of you who are looking for a different japanese food. not a typical nigiri or sushi restaurant. more fusion, more modern, and more "white".

the ambiance is top notch. extra roomy, high ceiling. lots of windows. bright environment. service is excellent, lots and lots of staff so you're rarely neglected.

rageguy 06-30-2010 02:21 AM

decided to upload and share some pictures of the food at miku. pics are good enough for you guys to decide if miku is your type of restaurant. once again, those who are seeking for traditional and pure sushi, please dont go here.

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/3233/img0001fu.th.jpg
washington wagyu beef sashimi on top, melts in your mouth. really soft and meat flavorful
premium aburi sushi on bottom. decent freshness, but its the sauce that captures all the taste. order this if you are looking for good sauced nigiri. don't order this if you want to taste fresh fish only.
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3113/img0002fdq.th.jpg
aburi salmon oshi. rice in the bottom, salmon in the middle, rice on top of that. another salmon on top, and then the miku sauce. lastly, jalapeno on the very top for an extra spice. really really flavorful. very delicious.
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2180/img0003fq.th.jpg
miku roll. once again, very flavorful. the miku sauce is awesome.
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6...g0004jf.th.jpg
green tea tiramisu. they seriously have an awesome pastry chef. everything is good here. the tiramisu and the green tea ice cream, which is also hand made in house.

Meowjin 06-30-2010 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsvs (Post 6988199)

thats why i dont order california roll/spicy tuna roll or any kind of rolls :P. I only order nigiri such as hamachi, daitoro, aji, etc..

thats silly. If it tastes good why not eat it.

I never had a problem with those type of things, thats what the koreans places are for. At least it's kinda japanese, or japanese style.

greek on the other hand, no greek eats pilaf! It's just cheap rice and white people are amazed about how much food is on the plate and how cheap it is!

DUMB DUMB DUMB.

Meowjin 06-30-2010 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cctw (Post 6989646)
sushi han is in the mall on blundell and no.2 road..and yes the food is decent..

but i'm loyal to ichiro/takeya haha

i like osaka today in the same complex.

Gumby 06-30-2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinHurricane (Post 7010751)
greek on the other hand, no greek eats pilaf! It's just cheap rice and white people are amazed about how much food is on the plate and how cheap it is!

DUMB DUMB DUMB.

That's like Asians laughing at white dudes that order chicken chop suey, etc. at a Chinese restaurant.

But then again, despite being Caucasian, you're well-traveled so you definitely know what food is good. :thumbsup:

skyxx 07-02-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageguy (Post 7010726)
decided to upload and share some pictures of the food at miku. pics are good enough for you guys to decide if miku is your type of restaurant. once again, those who are seeking for traditional and pure sushi, please dont go here.

I went to Miku on the 30th and I thought the fish was fresh and the food was decent. But I disliked the loud atmosphere. For a "High end place", I expected it to be more quiet.

rageguy 07-09-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyxx (Post 7013767)
I went to Miku on the 30th and I thought the fish was fresh and the food was decent. But I disliked the loud atmosphere. For a "High end place", I expected it to be more quiet.

fish is fresh enough, but there are better places out there and not as overpriced. food is good at miku in general, even the ok-fresh sashimi. it is loud, reminds me of guu.

skyxx 07-10-2010 12:22 AM

^ Agreed. For the price I paid I rather go tojo's but that too is expensive and "overpriced".

hotong 07-24-2010 12:34 PM

Did a huge take out order from sushi garden across from metrotown.
The sushi was amazing and the sashimi slices were huge!

Rating: 10/10

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/686/p1010969n.jpg

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/1614/p1010971sr.jpg

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/7197/p1010972.jpg

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3326/p1010974yf.jpg