REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Entertainment Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/entertainment-forum_27/)
-   -   What's the last movie you saw and rate it... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/513888-whats-last-movie-you-saw-rate.html)

FN-2199 08-20-2018 02:20 PM

Crazy Rich Asians

...8.5/10

Never thought I'd watch a romcom, let alone rate one this high... :suspicious:

winson604 08-21-2018 06:55 AM

Crazy Rich Asian - I really hate rating things with numbers so I'll just say that it was decent. The AZN factor bumps it up a bit for me but taking a step back it isn't really anything so different than other Rom Coms but it was a nice change.

I turned to my wife as the movie was about to start and asked her when was the last time we watched a Rom Com in a theater, the answer was likely before we got together over 12 years ago but the AZN factor made us curious to go for this one. As an Asian person there was a lot to relate to and I definitely felt a bit of AZN pride watching it lol

SkinnyPupp 08-21-2018 07:10 AM

Yeah AZNz are going crazy for that movie EleGiggle

I think the title is absolutely horrible, but meh it sounds good so I'll prob check it out when it comes out on video

68style 08-21-2018 08:11 PM

Kind of interesting sidebar on the movie how the director wrote a letter personally to Coldplay to ask them to please let him use the song "Yellow" for the end credits after they originally said no:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/blog/cold...tter-1.4793253

SkinnyPupp 08-21-2018 09:55 PM

3edgy5coldplay

Tim Budong 08-21-2018 10:54 PM

Crazy Rich Asians is opening in HK to very minimal screens. I actually have to leave the comfort of the theater in the mall to go to another

the inconvenience :( lol

Lookin forward to it.

freakshow 08-21-2018 11:32 PM

just saw Central Intelligence, not amazing, but pretty good crowd pleaser.. 7.5/10

ilovebacon 08-22-2018 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 8915692)
skyscraper 6/10
was cool to see all the spots they shot in Van for this

Blackkklansman

8.5/10

solid movie

thanks for the recommendation for skyscraper. How do you think the Chinese police cars end up in Vancouver stadium.

Skyscraper 7/10

Tim Budong 08-23-2018 10:15 AM

Crazy Rich Asians was good

but let me be one to say... People in North America will think the representation is great, but the views for this movie, especially in South East Asia see this differently. Mainly to do with cultures, hell the culture in that region of the Asia involving the Chinese is very much different vs Chinese in HK and Chinese in Mainland china.

way2quik 08-23-2018 11:56 AM

Crazy Rich Asians. 8.5/10.
Pretty good. Kept me awake during the entirety of the show.

Ghostbusters. answer the call. 6/10.
Comedy, Thor, the pace of the movie was slow. All I can think about was "ah, SNL. Oh, another SNL cast".

Manic! 08-24-2018 01:32 PM

American Animals 8/10 Like how they had the actual criminals in the movie. Something I might watch again.

Oceans 8 7/10 not a bad movie could have been funnier a bit confusing at times.

6793026 08-25-2018 06:53 PM

ocean's 8 7/10
not a bad script, i just didn't think there were too much chemistry with the entire group. Pretty good formula like the old Ocean's movie.

SkinnyPupp 08-26-2018 11:13 PM

Cloverfield Paradox 1/10

Finally got around to watching this piece of garbage... Kind of wish I had chosen literally any other movie instead FailFish

AzNightmare 08-31-2018 11:36 AM

Crazy Rich Asians was hella good for me...

So many more layers to it than your typical Rom Com imo, but it definitely helps to be Asian to relate to it the fullest.

I can't wait to get a copy when it's out on bluray.

Looking forward to the sequel.

68style 08-31-2018 03:12 PM

I see the sequel anytime I want by just walking out my door in Richmond, there's always a Huracan or 488 or McLaren outside the front of my condo building with guys/girls decked out in Supreme or Anti-Social Social Club clothes everywhere smoking menthols, arguing with their gf/bf, holding their pom-pom/poodle and debating ways to get higher monthly deposits from their parents each month.

CivicBlues 08-31-2018 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8917145)
I see the sequel anytime I want by just walking out my door in Richmond, there's always a Huracan or 488 or McLaren outside the front of my condo building with guys/girls decked out in Supreme or Anti-Social Social Club clothes everywhere smoking menthols, arguing with their gf/bf, holding their pom-pom/poodle and debating ways to get higher monthly deposits from their parents each month.

I know you’re trying to be funny but you do realize the families portrayed in Crazy Rich Asians would thumb their noses at the idiot fuerdai offspring that were parked here by some factory owner from Wuhan.

Plus the fact that the .01% of Singaporean society have about as much in common with the typical Mainlander trash here as the Pope and the folks on RHWONJ. Other than ethnicity of course.

AzNightmare 09-01-2018 12:23 AM

Watched "Searching".
I enjoyed it. Very well done. They made it work well while the whole movie was seen through a screen or camera or phone video, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8917145)

The movie actually has little to do with flaunting money and "making it rain."

68style 09-01-2018 12:28 AM

I know, I saw it, was just being sarcastic

SkinnyPupp 09-01-2018 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivicBlues (Post 8917182)
I know you’re trying to be funny but you do realize the families portrayed in Crazy Rich Asians would thumb their noses at the idiot fuerdai offspring that were parked here by some factory owner from Wuhan.

Plus the fact that the .01% of Singaporean society have about as much in common with the typical Mainlander trash here as the Pope and the folks on RHWONJ. Other than ethnicity of course.

He was just being silly, but honestly it points out what a fucking horrible title it is.

Mr.Money 09-01-2018 06:33 AM

Avengers 4....8/10

https://i.imgur.com/rwCu5DC.jpg

rsx 09-03-2018 12:56 AM

Oceans 8 - 0/10
Terrible story and HORRIBLE chemistry between actors.

BIC_BAWS 09-03-2018 02:49 AM

Crazy Rich Asians 7/10

Book was better LOL. I did not picture the Ellen looking girl as that. But the Ken Jeong is hilarious as always.

Having read the book, I paid closer attention to the details like, "Pacific Asean Airlines" and some people's names is "Tee". I hope that was satirical - an attempt to show the Asian discrimination in Hollywood. I don't actually think there are any Asians with the family name Tee or they really didn't have to try that hard at the airline name. I also noticed that all or most of the maids could be filipino. The usage of darker skinned Asians as maids hints at the rich culture of having maids. This is a common occurrence in Hong Kong.

I don't know if the crazy rich really act like that, but in my experience, even middle-class families act like that. Not to that extent, but they are very petty and judgemental when it comes to marrying out of class.

All in all it was alright. I don't think it's worth the hype that everyone makes it out to be. And if it was meant to be satirical, I would like it a lot more.

Edit: Bonus points for having an OG Ford GT and an air-cooled porsche (idk my porsches but it was an old, blue porsche).

bcrdukes 09-03-2018 08:45 AM

You can only take movie adaptations of a book/novel so far, so they did what they could. And yes, crazy rich and broke-ass Asians do do exactly just that, and then they top their friends and family the next time around no matter the cost.

320icar 09-03-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8917205)
He was just being silly, but honestly it points out what a fucking horrible title it is.

Yeah.... speaking from the POV of a one dimensional white male, I have zero interest in watching this movie just from that title alone. I’ll probably be forced to watch it in a group once it gets released on vhs and enjoy it

CivicBlues 09-04-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS (Post 8917397)

Having read the book, I paid closer attention to the details like, "Pacific Asean Airlines" and some people's names is "Tee". I hope that was satirical - an attempt to show the Asian discrimination in Hollywood. I don't actually think there are any Asians with the family name Tee or they really didn't have to try that hard at the airline name. I also noticed that all or most of the maids could be filipino. The usage of darker skinned Asians as maids hints at the rich culture of having maids. This is a common occurrence in Hong Kong.

Tee is the Hokkien (a dialect spoken widely in Singapore) version of the name Cheng/Zheng.