REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #301
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
^ you should just get everything from canadian tire... they actually have pretty decent street hockey gear now.. try walmart too. it isn't as cheap as they used to be as quality is actually a lot better these days.. they sel ball hockey helmets too. But if you want to be more safe, you can just use an ice hockey helmet with full cage.
Advertisement
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #302
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Looking for some new shin guards. Anyone have good experiences with a particular brand or current model?
I'm a D man for roller and a forward for ice so I don't particularly need a lot of padding. I do however want something that will offer a good fit and protection for my weak knee.
A few I've been looking at are the Easton S19's and the Bauer Total one's. These are the "top of the line" models which lead me to believe that they're better. Is it worth the money or are the mid level lines just as good?

Thanks
TylerY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #303
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerY View Post
Looking for some new shin guards. Anyone have good experiences with a particular brand or current model?
I'm a D man for roller and a forward for ice so I don't particularly need a lot of padding. I do however want something that will offer a good fit and protection for my weak knee.
A few I've been looking at are the Easton S19's and the Bauer Total one's. These are the "top of the line" models which lead me to believe that they're better. Is it worth the money or are the mid level lines just as good?

Thanks
try the bauer pro line shins.. they offer good protection without all the fnacy schmancy stuff that the supreme and vapor lines have.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #304
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerY View Post

Thanks
go pro line if u have bigger calves. i have pretty skinny calves and my total one shins barely wrap around them. my old lightspeed pro shins were a bit big and would occasionally shift on me
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #305
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
^ you should just get everything from canadian tire... they actually have pretty decent street hockey gear now.. try walmart too. it isn't as cheap as they used to be as quality is actually a lot better these days.. they sel ball hockey helmets too. But if you want to be more safe, you can just use an ice hockey helmet with full cage.
Thanks, I probably check out CanadianTire again.

If the helmet's going to be shared, so I opt for the retro hockey mask instead, just for the sake of hygiene?

I was playing with the trapper and I can't imagine what it feels like for the next person to stick their hands into the wet glove.
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #306
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reamemiya View Post
Thanks, I probably check out CanadianTire again.

If the helmet's going to be shared, so I opt for the retro hockey mask instead, just for the sake of hygiene?

I was playing with the trapper and I can't imagine what it feels like for the next person to stick their hands into the wet glove.
it is definitely not fun. wet gloves/ helmet are gross.. but we all did it as kids. as adults there is no way i would do it again, but when i was young i didn't care. a helmet can be rinsed out with water but the gloves you will have to live with
Old 06-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #307
wix
I bringith the lowerballerith

Hello,

I'm looking to start ice hockey in ICE604 this September. Can you guys recommend what I should be looking for in ice skates. My budget is around $200-300. I'm looking at Bauer Vapor X:40s right now.

Also, for those who work at sport chek, are the discounts any good? Or should I just buy them online?

Thanks!
wix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #308
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
it is definitely not fun. wet gloves/ helmet are gross.. but we all did it as kids. as adults there is no way i would do it again, but when i was young i didn't care. a helmet can be rinsed out with water but the gloves you will have to live with

So something like this can be washed out?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

I was actually considering something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Mylec-Pro-Goalie-Mask-White/dp/B00017IGQW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308614643&sr=8-1
Thanks
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #309
RS Veteran

Quote:

Amazon.com: Mylec Pro Goalie Mask: Sports & Outdoors

Thanks
either you can just spray out with a garden hose and let to dry. the jason style masks are garbage imo...
Old 06-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #310
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wix View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to start ice hockey in ICE604 this September. Can you guys recommend what I should be looking for in ice skates. My budget is around $200-300. I'm looking at Bauer Vapor X:40s right now.

Also, for those who work at sport chek, are the discounts any good? Or should I just buy them online?

Thanks!
i would visit a local hockey shop and get fitted to a skate by one of their workers rather than a big department store like sportchek. brands usually vary in fit and i would rather get fitted correctly the first time rather than waste $300 only to have to get a new pair of skates cause the first ones fit like crap
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #311
wix
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by True.True View Post
i would visit a local hockey shop and get fitted to a skate by one of their workers rather than a big department store like sportchek. brands usually vary in fit and i would rather get fitted correctly the first time rather than waste $300 only to have to get a new pair of skates cause the first ones fit like crap
Thanks, I'm going try some skates on tomorrow. Looking to buy the Bauer Vapor X4.0 (2011) or the Supreme One60.

Does anyone know the pros and cons of a removable blade?
Also, what is the difference between the Vapor and Supreme lines?

Thanks

Last edited by wix; 06-21-2011 at 04:50 PM.
wix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #312
RS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, I'm going try some skates on tomorrow. Looking to buy the Bauer Vapor X4.0 (2011) or the Supreme One60.

Thanks
all blades are removable/replaceable. vapor and supreme fits are diff.. supreme is a more classic.. you can find a lot more info on www.modsquadhockey.com
Old 06-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #313
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:

Thanks
Make sure you buy compatible blades for whatever shaft you buy. Buy a top end composite shaft, don't settle for anything less. Same goes for one piece sticks.

If you can't afford a top end composite right now, buying a top of the line wood stick will give you better performance than a price point composite.

Vapor and Supreme skates will fit differently. If both of them feel the same to you, then both don't fit properly. Try something else in your price range.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #314
G
Banned (BBM)

Can anyone recommend good elbow/shin pads? Just starting and need some gear! I was looking at the whole X:20 set.. opinions? it's cheap and seems durable!
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #315
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

It depends what you're looking for in shins and elbows. Cheap elbows will tend to slide down your arm when you take a shot and cheap shins will lack certain features like removable liners and calf protection.

That being said I'd much rather buy something locally and be able to try it on. Regardless of how cheap/expensive it is it all comes down to fit. Various brands and lines will fit differently. I tried to force myself into the Jofa protective line a few years back but I wasn't bulky enough to wear it comfortably. I ended up going with Nike Bauer Supreme and Vapor lines and they fit skinnier players.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #316
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
I might start playing ice hockey again this winter (haven't for like almost 10 years now) and I have no equipment whatsoever. What's a reasonable budget I should allow myself to? Don't need anything high end but I'd rather not wear something that feels really cheap. I'll also be needing a visor - I hated playing with a cage but I want to protect my face because I want to avoid a Malhotra type accident.

TIA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:32 AM   #317
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusive View Post
I might start playing ice hockey again this winter (haven't for like almost 10 years now) and I have no equipment whatsoever. What's a reasonable budget I should allow myself to? Don't need anything high end but I'd rather not wear something that feels really cheap. I'll also be needing a visor - I hated playing with a cage but I want to protect my face because I want to avoid a Malhotra type accident.

TIA!
If you are just going to be playing lower level rec/beer league hockey/dropins.. I would prirotize the type of equipment in terms of high to low end..

skates: definitely get something mid-high. you will def feel the diff when getting cheap skates. if you find a good pair of skates, they should last you a good few years.

helmet: protection is never something you want to risk. although, a lot of the newer helmets are gimmicky for the everyday rec player. you don't need to get the high end easton helmets, but something with good adjustability is proabbly preferred. again, you shouldn't have to change your helmet much unless you get into a big collision where it gets ruined.

visor: ranges from 30-100 bucks depending on clarity. i believe the only visors available in store in canada are bauers.. everything else like the oakleys are NOT csa approved and can only be bought online.. someone correct me if i am wrong.

mouthguard: def get a mouthguard.. both under armour and shock doctor make "boil and bite" guards which are good but aren't the best in terms of being able to speak and breathing... if you have a good dental plan try to get a custom guard from yoru dentist... or even look into the under armour customs.. cost a pretty penny though. i would put the mouth guard on the same priority as the helmet.. you really don't want to risk losing teeth.

stick: price point composites feel horrible, are heavy, and have very little response. stick with a good wood stick, or a mid-higher end 2 piece.. OR get a pro stock stick for a fraction of the price. you won't be able to be too picky in terms of flex and curve but you will be able to grab a higher end stick for about half the price.. sports exchange has some good selections. you can also try out base hockey at www.basehockey.ca for high end sticks for a decent price. you can fully customize the flex and curve/stick finish you want too.

jock: really up to you but i prefer a compression short jock because it stays in place a lot better than the old jock short/garter formats. shock doctor makes the best ones, imo.

gloves, shins, pants, elbows, chest: i put these all in teh same category because these really aren't that important in getting the highest end... gloves you will probably go through regularly and since you will be playing rec leagues where there wont be body checking, and most collisions willbe "accidental", you don't need to be armoured for the stanley cup finals. you may consider getting mid-higher end shin guards since there are some pretty crappy shin guards that MIGHT crack upon blocking a few shots, but I personally, have never experienced such a thing with low-mid end shins.

once you really get into hockey, and know you will be playing consistently in the long run, you can treat yourself to higher end equipment... or if you have the money to blow, go ahead and do it now, lol...
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #318
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Mylec-Pro-Goalie-Mask-White/dp/B00017IGQW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308614643&sr=8-1
Thanks
Canadian tire is having a sale on all hockey stuff going on today at Cambie + 7th location. Pads were like $30 + Tax
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #319
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Still learning how to play hockey, and I'm planning to start beginner's league this fall. My gears are, all of them gotten new this year.

Helmet: RBK 6k
Shoulder: CCM U+ Fit 07
Gloves: Bauer Supreme TotalONE- junior size, got 'em for a hundred
Elbow: Bauer Vapour X:40
Pants: RBK 7k
Shin: Bauer Supreme One60
Skates: RBK 6k Pump

So far for the sticks I've got just a pair of pricepoint OPS gotten for $50 together and a two piece with a $35 shaft and a wooden blade for the purpose of learning a proper shooting form. Should I look forward to upgrading once I feel better about my shooting or will those suffice for a while?
RAYClovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #320
G
Banned (BBM)

I am thinking of joining a beginner's adult league this fall as well. I am still trying to haul in my equipment over the summer.

Helmet: CCM Vector V04 Hockey Helmet w/ Wire Cage
Shoulder: Haven't bought yet. Suggest me one!
Gloves: Bauer Vapor X:20
Elbow: Haven't bought yet. Suggest me one!
Pants: Haven't bought yet. Suggest me one!
Shin: Haven't bought yet. Suggest me one!
Skates: Bauer Supreme ONE60

Sportchek is having some clearance things....Gonna go check em out soon!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #321
Banned By Establishment

If someone is looking at S19's, this is the best deal I've found. Most Canadian dealers want $300+.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_2496wt_1139

I'm going to order a few when strike is over.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #322
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I am thinking of joining a beginner's adult league this fall as well. I am still trying to haul in my equipment over the summer.

Helmet: CCM Vector V04 Hockey Helmet w/ Wire Cage
Shoulder: Haven't bought yet. Suggest me one!
Gloves: Bauer Vapor X:20
Elbow: Haven't bought yet. Suggest me one!
Pants: Haven't bought yet. Suggest me one!
Shin: Haven't bought yet. Suggest me one!
Skates: Bauer Supreme ONE60

Sportchek is having some clearance things....Gonna go check em out soon!
for the things that you have not gotten yet, and want suggestions.. just go to sports exchange where you can get entry-mid level stuff for pretty cheap.. they are usually last year or older models so you save money, and since you are jsut starting out, you don't need anything crazy... even some higher level players, don't use top end elbows and shoulder pads... get something you are comfortable with... shins is something you might not want to really cheap out on, but it isn't really necessary to get 100 dollar elbow pads.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #323
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Hello, i am looking to buy a set of Goalie equipment, not for ice though, i will be playing street or floor hockey any recommendations as to which ones are a bit more durable? Ive had the RBK 30' for quite some time now and its starting to shread up, straps are also breaking.

Also what sizing should i be getting? I am 6'1 almost so im looking maybe 34'-36'?
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #324
RS Veteran

^ def at least 36
Old 06-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #325
G
Banned (BBM)

Oh yea, prostocknation is having their Canucks equipment 2011 sale (July 11 – July 17) at the Canucks Team Store Outlet located on Hastings and Renfrew (#150 – 2893 E Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC)

For the people who have gone, what do they usually have and how expensive is it?