REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   I like to Ride my Bicycle... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598760-i-like-ride-my-bicycle.html)

bcrdukes 04-15-2013 10:47 PM

^
I'd be up for Rapha stuff! :fullofwin:

P.S. - I'm on the hunt for some sponsors...something like a coffee shop. hahahahaha

Edit: I think we'd need a legitimate name for our team first. I can setup a Wordpress blog and domain.

Ch28 04-15-2013 11:51 PM

RS Studs & Slugs :lol

bcrdukes 04-16-2013 12:05 AM

If you're serious, I'm writing it down as a suggestion!

OTG-ZR2 04-16-2013 12:58 AM

RS Pedalfiles :nono:

bcrdukes 04-16-2013 01:05 AM

Somewhere on the jersey or bib it has to say "Stock parts are ghey."
#604CEFIRO

Ch28 04-16-2013 01:07 AM

604CEFIRO's should have something making mention of aftershave on his nuts. :rofl:

bcrdukes 04-16-2013 03:10 AM

Funny you mention that. There is a brand of chamois cream called "DZ Nuts." :pokerface:

triplexcel 04-16-2013 07:55 AM

another day at SFU :D

bcedhk 04-16-2013 08:02 AM

anyone seen those bike jersey's on aliexpress?

For about 30 bucks you can practically get any team/brand jersey....

604CEFIRO 04-16-2013 08:29 AM

They are generic Lycra jerseys. They all use similar pads (cool max) and the same cut, only difference is the print.

The seams are a bit uncomfortable, and the sizing is a bit skewed.

It's definitely inexpensive, but u get what u pay for.

I have 10+ Lycra rash guards from my wrestling / bjj days, and ill tell u right now sweat infused Lycra is the stinkiest shit ull ever smell :)

Here's a useful thread about those jerseys/company:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/view...php?p=17120867

dat_steve 04-16-2013 08:47 AM

:heckno:

bike feels as good as new on the ride in to work today. i definitely need to learn how to do some maintenance on my own.

604CEFIRO 04-16-2013 08:57 AM

^ I've been tinkering around with my crossbike and referencing Park Tools website for DIY's. Their guides are great: Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog

One thing thats hindering my ability to do real work is the lack of a bike stand... i have the mentality of "I rather buy something i can wear or use on the ride/bike" lol

There's only a handful of stuff we really need to know...

- tightening headset
- adjusting brakes
- adjust front and rear derailleurs
- replacing a tire / tube
- (replacing casette / chain)

Since no ones explained / taught me how it all works, I still don't fully understand what position the barrel adjusters should be in when doing a derailleur adjustment. should it be fully screwed in? out? which direction is in? which direction is out? what's it mean to be screwed in or out? LOL...

OTG-ZR2 04-16-2013 09:38 AM

Backing out a barrel adjuster (unscrewing it) will add tension to the cable. As cables stretch tension is lost and you just take up the slack with the adjusters. Usually all you need is a couple turns to set it back into adjustment.

And my Wiggle order is shipped... without tracking :okay:

hud 91gt 04-16-2013 09:42 AM

Also compensates for brake pad wear ;)

If you are a a pro at adjusting your derailleurs, put your adjusters all the way in (So you can't see any threads). This will give you the most adjustment in the future. If your not a pro at adjusting them, put the adjusters a couple turns out, and this will give you a little bit of flexibility in either direction once you stop fiddling with the limit screws.

Ch28 04-16-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 (Post 8213729)
my Wiggle order is shipped... without tracking :okay:

I know that feel, bro.

On the brought side, the CSR that replied to my original email gave me the discount, so my order ended up being under $100CAD ftw
Posted via RS Mobile

StaceyQ 04-16-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO (Post 8213704)
^ I've been tinkering around with my crossbike and referencing Park Tools website for DIY's. Their guides are great: Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog

One thing thats hindering my ability to do real work is the lack of a bike stand... i have the mentality of "I rather buy something i can wear or use on the ride/bike" lol

There's only a handful of stuff we really need to know...

- tightening headset
- adjusting brakes
- adjust front and rear derailleurs
- replacing a tire / tube
- (replacing casette / chain)

Since no ones explained / taught me how it all works, I still don't fully understand what position the barrel adjusters should be in when doing a derailleur adjustment. should it be fully screwed in? out? which direction is in? which direction is out? what's it mean to be screwed in or out? LOL...

For the Rear (where you should start first):

Front:

Super easy...although when I did it it was fincky as fuck.
Some systems/alignment of the FD will allow you to cross-chain w/o any noise. I can't seem to get to that happy medium so right now when I'm on the BIG CR, I can be on the lowest cassette w/ no noise. On my SMALL CR and my smallest cassette, I have a little bit of rubbing but I just drop a cassette (move up) and everything is golden.

You MAY or MAY NOT need to re-align your FD system (as I had to do).

bcrdukes 04-16-2013 01:20 PM

Got my second order from Wiggle today consisting of the Continental GP4000s and the tube package.

Just feeling the GP4000s, it's a softer compound compared to the Michelin Pro Race 3. Again, different tires with different intentions. My opinion may be skewed but I'm still leaning towards to the Michelin's from an overall performance standpoint. I still stand by my original opinion on the GP4000s being a good mixed-use tire.

604CEFIRO 04-16-2013 01:26 PM

I'm more interested in your packages transit time w/o tracking service LOL

when did u order the tires? When did it deliver? Thanks bro
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 04-16-2013 01:30 PM

Order date: April 2, 2013
Items ordered: Continental Grand Prix 4000s Tyres and Tubes Bundle Black 700 x 23mm
Cost: $87.00 CDN
Received: Tuesday, April 16

So pretty much 2 weeks. Same with my first order of the 105 pedals (Edit: This was delivered closer towards the later part of the 2nd week, almost edging into 3 weeks.) I placed another order recently for the Michelin Pro Race 4 Service Course tires and another set of pedals so we'll see how long that takes.

And this is with their free shipping option with no tracking number. I think for 2 weeks, I can wait especially if it's not urgent and/or if it's that great of a deal. The only nerve wracking part is not knowing where the package is without a tracking number. :okay:

azncreationz 04-16-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch28 (Post 8212985)
At this point its not so much about the price, but the fact that they're totally ignoring me. That's what pisses me off the most

Azncreationz: yup. I work in the area
Posted via RS Mobile

hmm, you're not in my building, are you?!
If you want to go for a ride after work sometime, let me know!

EX-R 04-16-2013 04:48 PM

Need help please! I've been looking for a road bike but I'm not sure what i should be looking for. I'm not planning on spending too much on my first road bike so my budget is under 300.
I've been trying to look at used bikes on craigslist but I'm not sure what details i should be looking for. I found this bike for sale

Gitane 12 Spd Road Bike + New Tires

Is this bike worth looking at? what should i look for and what should i try out when i go look at a used bike?

As for my frame size, I used a bike frame calculator and it says that i should look for a 54 cm frame. I'm 5'7 with a leg length of 31". How big or how small of a frame can i get?

bcrdukes 04-16-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EX-R (Post 8214073)
Need help please! I've been looking for a road bike but I'm not sure what i should be looking for. I'm not planning on spending too much on my first road bike so my budget is under 300.

Perhaps look at something else like a hybrid bicycle.
Quote:

Is this bike worth looking at? what should i look for and what should i try out when i go look at a used bike?
Looks like an absolute piece of crap, to be honest. This will make you hate riding (my personal opinion only.)

Quote:

As for my frame size, I used a bike frame calculator and it says that i should look for a 54 cm frame. I'm 5'7 with a leg length of 31". How big or how small of a frame can i get?
You are better off with a 52cm road bike. 54cm is pushing it.

You should ask azncreationz if he has any bikes that would fit you. I recall him having a Scott hybrid that could work both in size and budget.

tipy 04-16-2013 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
not sure if i want to ride up to burnaby mountain again. its nightmare

604CEFIRO 04-16-2013 08:11 PM

Pro tip: Lemon Pledge is gangster for waxing a bike. The top tube feels silky smooth between the legs and smells lemony fresh ;)

Hahahah
Posted via RS Mobile

Alphamale 04-16-2013 08:54 PM

Yo 604, how the hell do you do BJJ and bike at the same time. My legs are destroyed after classes.

And OTG, do you use a helmet mounted bike lamp? I find that when I am commuting in the dark, my eyes and handle bar mounted lamp don't see eye to eye. If yes, what are you using (or anyone else can answer this question).