REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-27-2010, 12:35 AM   #301
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
You see, I have this addiction... To adrenaline.
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2010, 06:04 AM   #302
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

LOL at the people calling this a cash grab. Clearly you don't have a clue about where ICBC gets its money or where it's spent.

ICBC has revenues of about $4 billion per year. The police currently wrte about 10,000 excessive speeding tickets per year which would now change over to fall under the new law. At the proposed maximum of $483 per ticket plus three years of $320 extra fees that comes out to a whopping $14 million. Sounds like a lot at first, doesn't it?

As a percentage it only accounts for 0.36% of ICBC's revenues. Do the math yourself if you don't believe me. So increasing revenues by 0.36% is a cash grab?

Then why did ICBC reduce rates by 3.3% in 2009 and also applied to reduce rates another 1.9% for 2010? To put it into perspective, 3.3% comes out to $132 million and 1.9% comes out to $76 million, a hell of a lot more than the $14 million they'll receive from this new law.

If ICBC wanted more money, then why even offer discounts? Better yet, why not simply change the discount from 3.3% to 3.0%?

ICBC is an insurance company. They assess risk and assign premiums based on risk. They have every right to charge people who are at greater risk more money (people who get into lots of accidents or people who drive recklessly).

Bottom line is speeding is the #1 cause of fatalities. ICBC has every right to charge people who speed higher premiums.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #303
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee View Post
LOL at the people calling this a cash grab. Clearly you don't have a clue about where ICBC gets its money or where it's spent.

ICBC has revenues of about $4 billion per year. The police currently wrte about 10,000 excessive speeding tickets per year which would now change over to fall under the new law. At the proposed maximum of $483 per ticket plus three years of $320 extra fees that comes out to a whopping $14 million. Sounds like a lot at first, doesn't it?

As a percentage it only accounts for 0.36% of ICBC's revenues. Do the math yourself if you don't believe me. So increasing revenues by 0.36% is a cash grab?

Then why did ICBC reduce rates by 3.3% in 2009 and also applied to reduce rates another 1.9% for 2010? To put it into perspective, 3.3% comes out to $132 million and 1.9% comes out to $76 million, a hell of a lot more than the $14 million they'll receive from this new law.

If ICBC wanted more money, then why even offer discounts? Better yet, why not simply change the discount from 3.3% to 3.0%?

ICBC is an insurance company. They assess risk and assign premiums based on risk. They have every right to charge people who are at greater risk more money (people who get into lots of accidents or people who drive recklessly).

Bottom line is speeding is the #1 cause of fatalities. ICBC has every right to charge people who speed higher premiums.
No, Speed is not.
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2010, 07:27 AM   #304
Banned (BBM)

than let me chip in, right now i feel the fines are way too fucking cheap, any joe blow can afford that shit, hence why everyone speeds. Its like throwing out my pocket change to pay those fines, pfff

How about this, 20km above speed limite $350 fine, 21km to 40km $750 fine.

Excessive speed $2500 fine, what you think about that

retards who cant drive motherfucking shit is the no.1 cause of fatalities
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #305
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstoner View Post
No, Speed is not.
Yes, it is.

There can be many causes of an crash, and 40% of crashes list speed as a cause.

I can already hear the rebuttal: it is not speed, it is driver ability. You're partially correct. It is driver ability at speed. Unless you're Michael Schumacher (and even he looks rusty lately) your driving ability degrades with speed.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #306
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Then take it to the track, or leave the Lower Mainland where police aren't as plentiful.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #307
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
leave the Lower Mainland where police aren't as plentiful.
Surprised to read this. Having moved from Ottawa/Ontario I'd say there are far less police here, and less interested in ticketing for speeding.

I drove the I5 back from Seattle last night, holy crap, tons of cruisers. No wonder the majority does the speed limit or less. Sure the limit is 110 kmph, yet I usually cruise BC highways at 120 kmph without much worry of getting a 20 over ticket.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #308
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
+1 to that. I drive much slower in the States when I go track day actually.

The system is entirely different down there though the county's sheriff decides if the county should strictly enforce the limit more or less....and when money is tight they are out like pack of wolves because the money goes towards the police of the county that caught you. Unlike here, where the money is going straight to the RCMP which most of it is then redistributed evenly to all municipalities more or less...

so less of an incentive to tackle this aggressively in Canada for sure. The way I see it police out here catching speeders is almost analogical to intercept sales tactics in a mall - if you come by and do the right "things" you'll get stopped for it, while the US traffic police are bunch of mall cops that tend to follow "suspicious people" and if you mess up even the slightest they are out to get your money. Hardly ever I see cruisers in Canada follow anyone on the freeway and stop them, but more often there are issued stations for spot checks...

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #309
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Surprised to read this. Having moved from Ottawa/Ontario I'd say there are far less police here, and less interested in ticketing for speeding.

I drove the I5 back from Seattle last night, holy crap, tons of cruisers. No wonder the majority does the speed limit or less. Sure the limit is 110 kmph, yet I usually cruise BC highways at 120 kmph without much worry of getting a 20 over ticket.
What I meant to say was that there are lots of roads within BC, but outside of the Lower Mainland, where one can get their adrenaline rush without having to worry too much.

Examples include the number 3, the Duffy Lake Road, the number 16, etc.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #310
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Bad drivers are the #1 cause of accidents. Speed and alcohol/drugs just make it worse for the masses. Until we get cars that drive themselves -- this will continue to be a problem.

Most of the peeps on this board are complaining of charges that relate to speeding not the changes they made for DUI

They made the DUI charges tougher to deal with the chronic drunk drivers that get a slap on the wrist and take forever to deal with in the courts. Now they lose the car, their licence and get a huge fine RIGHT AWAY not months later.

Anyone who thinks this is a bad idea should talk to someone who has lost a loved one due to a drunk driver

Fuck drunk drivers -- they deserve harsh penalties
2000 Acura Integra Type R #858 -- original owner
2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Phat_R is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #311
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

lol, saw someone got impounded on the wkend. The guy just ripped it on Main Street between Terminal & Kingsway. Owned.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #312
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome
JBAUTISTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #313
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAUTISTA View Post
If he estimated a car going 62 at 65, who's to say some cop in a bad mood or less experienced would estimate a car going 90 and not 80 or 85, in a 50 zone? That's retarded for something that carries serious repercussions.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #314
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
If he estimated a car going 62 at 65, who's to say some cop in a bad mood or less experienced would estimate a car going 90 and not 80 or 85, in a 50 zone? That's retarded for something that carries serious repercussions.
I agree that estimating for excessive speeding would suck.

Yet one of the comments says it best: speeders are usually guilty.

I actually like the way the BC law is written for normal speeding. Essentially it is only one ticket with a discretionary fine (lower amount for 0-20 over, higher amount for 20-40, same amount of points). So unless you can prove you weren't speeding at all, there' no point wasting the courts time.

This is much better than other provinces where the speeding ticket is tiered:
0-15 over $50, no points
15-30 over $150-250, 2 points
30-50 over, $250-400, 3 points

So many people fight these tickets and waste the courts time to try and get dropped down a tier. The BC system is much better.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #315
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
We were on a tiered system before 1-30, 30-39, 40-49 over the limit etc.

My post was not to question guilt itself but that of degree as it pertains to the new law.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #316
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Easy solution. If the officer is judging speed based on training, then they should only be able to hand out regular speeding tickets.

If they want to charge excessive speeding, they either need radar or to tail the offender.

I had a speeding ticket from 2 years ago where the officer was driving the opposite direction. I disputed the charge and just found out the ticket was dismissed and I didn't have to waste my time going to court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #317
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Easy solution. If the officer is judging speed based on training, then they should only be able to hand out regular speeding tickets.

If they want to charge excessive speeding, they either need radar or to tail the offender.

I had a speeding ticket from 2 years ago where the officer was driving the opposite direction. I disputed the charge and just found out the ticket was dismissed and I didn't have to waste my time going to court.

Curious, what was your argument going to be against the cop driving in the opposite direction?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #318

I had a cop who "estimated" my speed when I had an excessive speeding ticket in the fall. Got a letter in the mail a month or two ago saying the ticket got thrown out.... He really didn't have anything on me.

And I don't need a track right now, I drive a 4runner and it's slow. Just going to get a radar detector when I get another volvo.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #319
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Yeah this "impound" law should NOT be allowed if is no true measurement of speed.

When I was young, my Dad owned an '84 Mercury Capri RS Turbo. For anyone that doesn't know much about these cars, they used the same body and chassis as 80's Fox body Mustangs apart from some minor differences.

One night, my Dad, Mom and I were driving home from Vancouver on the knight street bridge of course doing the speed limit.
We were on the south side when a Mustang of the same era and colour blew past us. Next to come over the bridge was a police cruiser, who then gets behind my dad and pulls him over thinking he was the Mustang. Unbelievably my dad gets at ticket for excessive speeding. My Mom and my Dad go to court to fight the ticket and loose, the judge's words were "I tend to take the officer's word on matters like this".

Unfuckingbelievable. A cop's inability to tell apart make and model of car (Basically the cop's FUCK UP) cost my dad cash and points on his license. My parents are still sore about this incident to this very day, this is an absolutely true story. So of course I grew up hearing about this incident all the time. Do you think your parents telling you about how they got fucked by a traffic cop really gives you a lot of respect for traffic cops?

If this had happened today, my dad would have been impounded before he even got the right to protest. Fucking bullshit.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 09-27-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #320
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.T View Post
lol cmon now guys

Assuming you guys are responsible drivers, is this law really gonna affect your life that much?
How hard is it to speed, but keep it within 40km/h above the limit?
Most of the driving is done in the daytime, so that is when the law matters most. Since everyone drives with the flow and the flow is hardly ever at "excessive speeds" there really isn't a problem. Of course there will always be counter-examples, but that's normal. You can't expect a law to be perfect.
At night time, well this is off-peak. Nobody gives a shit how you drive at night. You can come up with all the scenarios you want about driving a 3am in the middle of the night, it doesn't matter. Driving is still a privilege, not a right. Do you people not know this?

Problem areas like hwy1 with 80kph speed limits have already been explained (construction). Other roads where the speed limits seem ridiculously low...well just suck it up. It's NOT gonna kill you or make you even more late for work (perhaps leave earlier?). As someone mentioned, there should be a process in place to have a road's speed limit evaluated. If this law affects your life so horribly, step up and do something about it.

You can't expect a law to cover all scenarios and appear to be reasonable in all areas. There will always be examples to the contrary such as some street or some stretch of a road where the speed limit is too low (thereby making this law seem unreasonably harsh) and should really be raised. The law can't account for every possible scenario. The law is black and white for a reason. If things are left open to interpretation then every speeding ticket will be contested and most likely thrown out in court.

It's funny how so many people seem stressed out at this new law? I don't even have to modify my driving habits at all and I don't drive like a granny either. If you sit down and really think about it. This law really shouldn't affect your life that drastically, if at all. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill...
QFT. I want to THANKS this post twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #321
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
So go ride the Revelation at Playland - $20 a spin is a lot cheaper than an excessive speed ticket. Or take it to the track. Or take a weekend drive around Montana.

Or do 50+ over the limit in BC and just suck it up when you get busted... watching your car get towed should provide plenty of adrenaline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #322

Revelation's boring. Water's too cold for cliff jumping. Can't afford to DH. Montana's pretty far. I drive a truck and don't speed? I'm just saying.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #323
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Curious, what was your argument going to be against the cop driving in the opposite direction?
The officer was coming around the bend and there was no way he could get a good reference point to gauge my speed, imo.

But it didn't matter. I just wanted to dispute the ticket for the sake of it because I knew I was speeding. Mainly, I was hoping the officer didn't show up or had no evidence against me speeding.

It was still light out and there was no traffic coming down SFU. I didn't watch my speed and was going over 60 km/h on a section of road that can easily be 70 km/h. It's strange how that part of Gallardi is 60 when there is no cross roads but other parts of this road is a 70 zone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #324
xxx

^
just to add to my post earlier.
See Gaglardi way would be a nice example of a street where the limit should really be raised because it is clearly too low, especially when you're going downhill. Despite this the law doesn't screw anyone over.

Take someone leaving SFU going down gaglardi way...
Speed limit is 60, which means excessive speeding is 100+
It shouldn't be hard to control your speed so you are only going 90 if you really can't stand going at a slower speed like say 80.
Hell most traffic I see are going 80...90 is pretty much the upper limit. I have seen very few people drive at 100+ down that hill.

Not to mention the 60 stretch doesn't even last that long, as you continue going down the hill the limit changes to 70 which means excessive speeding is now at 110kph....
I don't see how hard it would be to just keep your speed at 100 which is already pretty damn fast since you'll be approaching lougheed hwy soon and most likely have to stop for the light. On this stretch most people drive 80-90 still.

I think this law is fair for those who drive responsibly. It's "unfair" to irresponsible drivers..but then again we don't want irresponsible drivers on the road.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #325
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Yeah this "impound" law should NOT be allowed if is no true measurement of speed.

When I was young, my Dad owned an '84 Mercury Capri RS Turbo. For anyone that doesn't know much about these cars, they used the same body and chassis as 80's Fox body Mustangs apart from some minor differences.

One night, my Dad, Mom and I were driving home from Vancouver on the knight street bridge of course doing the speed limit.
We were on the south side when a Mustang of the same era and colour blew past us. Next to come over the bridge was a police cruiser, who then gets behind my dad and pulls him over thinking he was the Mustang. Unbelievably my dad gets at ticket for excessive speeding. My Mom and my Dad go to court to fight the ticket and loose, the judge's words were "I tend to take the officer's word on matters like this".

Unfuckingbelievable. A cop's inability to tell apart make and model of car (Basically the cop's FUCK UP) cost my dad cash and points on his license. My parents are still sore about this incident to this very day, this is an absolutely true story. So of course I grew up hearing about this incident all the time. Do you think your parents telling you about how they got fucked by a traffic cop really gives you a lot of respect for traffic cops?

If this had happened today, my dad would have been impounded before he even got the right to protest. Fucking bullshit.

Thank you for sharing but what a dumb incident...simply bullshit.

Another reason why i hate traffic pigs

I received an VI before when i simply changed to another set of OEM rims, he demands i lowered the car (which i havent) and i was like wat the fuck

he basically threw me the fucking ticket and left.
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote