REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #151
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I laugh when people compare us to Germany and think things are so great there. Believe me, if we adopted Germany's rules you'd find people here bitching all day long when they fiind out just how strict Germany really is.

Here's three I picked up with a quick scan of Germany's traffic laws.

How about a 1 month suspension for going 30km/h over the speed limit in the city (40km/h over outside a city)? Going 50km/h and 60km/h over results in 2 or 3 month suspensions.

How about getting a 1 month suspension for tailgating (considering how important it is to keep proper distances on the Autobahn and the fact most severe accidents are the result of following too closely, you can see why they enforce this). Tailgating really closely can get you a 2-3 month suspension.

Own a trailer/boat? Speed limit for you is 80km/h everywhere, Autobahn or not. Anyone recall the last time they saw someone pulling their boat to the lake and actually drive 80km/h? I usually go 100 km/h myself and even I get passed by other boaters.
Advertisement
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #152
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor View Post
I am pretty sure that cops will not be handing out the excessive ticket and impounding your car every chance they get. It takes a lot of time waiting for a two truck, doing all the paperwork and of course knowing that you will probably fight it later and see them in court.

Its more for dicks that speed in school and construcution zones, are driving recklessly, racing or roadrage, mouthing off once they get pulled over or just plain stupidity. I am sure all of the latter points are reserved for the most special douchebags and perhaps they deserve the ticket.
Wishful thinking. It's an automatic penalty. Cops don't have discretion to pick the penalty, just the violation. If you are going 40+ over, and they charge you with excessive speeding, your vehicle is getting impounded.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #153
RS controls my life!

Thanked 4,186 Times in 392 Posts
Quote:
“This really applies to the people speeding 100 kilometres in a 50-kilometre zone, say in front of a house, and a child ran out in front,”
wait what? who goes that fast in a 50 zone area?
tee-tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #154
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Wishful thinking. It's an automatic penalty. Cops don't have discretion to pick the penalty, just the violation. If you are going 40+ over, and they charge you with excessive speeding, your vehicle is getting impounded.
(emphasis added)

It really depends on if you're ticketed for excessive speeding. I can see a cop ticketing someone speeding by 20kph when they were, for instance, clocked at 42 kph. that's the police officer's other bit of discretion... kind of like how right now, they might catch someone excessively speeding, but might not write that on the ticket.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #155
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
My point is that many cops will say..."uh, ok, I got you at 39 over...you are lucky! I could have financially sodomized you if you were going any faster"

They do it all the time. If you have a good attitude, admit your fault and do the obligatory "I promise not to do it again/I should know better" routine, then he will most likely have mercy and at the same time, save himself from hours of waiting, paperwork and bullshit.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #156
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor View Post
My point is that many cops will say..."uh, ok, I got you at 39 over...you are lucky! I could have financially sodomized you if you were going any faster"

They do it all the time. If you have a good attitude, admit your fault and do the obligatory "I promise not to do it again/I should know better" routine, then he will most likely have mercy and at the same time, save himself from hours of waiting, paperwork and bullshit.
I think that is his point too. If the officer chooses to give you an excessive speeding ticket, then it is an automatic 7 day impoundment.
But it is up to the officer's discretion to give you the 40+ km/h excessive speeding ticket or a slightly less one. ie regular speeding or 20+ km/h over the limit ticket.

Personally, I don't care about this rule. If $400+ dollar fines isn't a deterent from excessive speeding, then car impoundment probably won't work either.

Death penalties doesn't deter people from murder or drug trafficking, but a world without laws would be anarchy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #157
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

For the cost of impoundment everyone should just buy beaters and get them impounded till the lots are full and not pay.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #158
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Eh, I don't like it, but then again I see the reasoning. Most likely this came up in a city council meeting or something, where someone commented about people doing 80 in a 30, or 90 in a 50. I mean, which politician is not going to want to make a law like this? The unfortunate byproduct is that if you are unlucky, you will get your car impounded by doing 140 in Middle-of-nowhere, BC. Tough shit.

Truth is, unfortunately, laws like this are necessary here. There is no reason to drive 40 over in the city, no matter what. But people do it anyway. Think of it as a deterrent with an unfortunate casualty (highway driving).

If many drivers weren't so damn irresponsible to continue to be caught speeding in urban areas, then I bet this law would have never been enacted.
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #159
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
"the peace officer or another peace officer must
(g) cause the motor vehicle to be taken to and impounded at a place directed by the peace officer,

No discretion there if an excessive charge is laid...except for safety considerations given under the Act.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #160
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
For the cost of impoundment everyone should just buy beaters and get them impounded till the lots are full and not pay.
The drivers already subject to VI have been doing this for a long time now...or they use somebody else's car and leave them with an impounded vehicle and charges for their generosity in lending them the car.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #161
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
For those saying that if the speed limit increased, people would drive 30+ over the faster limit.

So I was in the States yesterday. The limit on the I5 is 60 and 70mph, depending on the section of road. From the border to say... Tulalip, the limit was about 60%, 70mph, so let's go off that.

95% of the drivers were going between 67 and 73mph and a handful were going NO faster than 80mph.

Now the surface conditions of Hwy 1, within the GVRD are better (the I5 is bumpy and loud) BUT in comparison, that stretch of the I5 has:

-reflector (bumpy) lines
-longer on/off ramps
-better signage
-generally, more considerate drivers

So 3/4 conditions can easily be rectified, especially since Hwy1 is in the process of getting redone.

Right now the lines on Hwy1 (GVRD), absolutely suck. They go all over the place and the ones they cover with black paint (when lanes get moved, construction) can easily be confusing (especially when it's raining).

What's my point?
Fix the Hwy, educate drivers and increase the limit to 110km/h (70mph). If they want to implement an excessive speeding/impound infraction after that, go for it. Hell, make it anything over 30km/h past the limit.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #162
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
^

The speeding fines in the states are harsher and cops are bigger assholes so people are more afraid to speed down there, between Bellingham and Burlington where the limit is 60, most people actually go 60 because the cops are everywhere.

Regardless, I always see punkass kids from BC driving 80 and getting tickets and then complaining about it in the Police forum.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #163
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
...reads your post, hit "back" and looks three posts down.....hahahhaa

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #164
I am Hook'd on RS

Man. So many hatred and fury on RS.
FX35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
^

The speeding fines in the states are harsher and cops are bigger assholes so people are more afraid to speed down there, between Bellingham and Burlington where the limit is 60, most people actually go 60 because the cops are everywhere.
Speeding tickets are serious business in the US. One ticket may only cost you $198 USD, but that ticket now puts you into the "high risk" catagory and since they are private insurance, companies and choose to not insure you or do it at a higher rate.

But even though the fines are higher/harsher there are still people who speed in the US.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #166
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I think this law is great for the douchebags you see doing 120 down 152nd in the fully blacked out G35's, etc. You all know the type. Not the enthusiast that knows when and where are the proper places to speed a bit, but the loser that has little to no regard for anyone else.

Unfortunately for us enthusiasts who like to drive at a quicker pace down the bigger open freeway's we could be paying the price. I never speed in the city more then 10-15km/h pretty much just flow of traffic, sometimes a bit more. On the 99 though, I usually cruise at 130km/h. And I find I only really speed excessively on hwy 99 and in the middle of the night. I would highly consider running now if I still had my car.

Now that I've got my truck, I seem to drive like a grampa.
EDub_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #167
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
What if you're driving a rental car and got ticketed for excessive speeding? Does the rental car get impounded?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #168

Most likely, and the rental company will bill you for the time that the car isn't rentable.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
For those saying that if the speed limit increased, people would drive 30+ over the faster limit.

So I was in the States yesterday. The limit on the I5 is 60 and 70mph, depending on the section of road. From the border to say... Tulalip, the limit was about 60%, 70mph, so let's go off that.

95% of the drivers were going between 67 and 73mph and a handful were going NO faster than 80mph.

Now the surface conditions of Hwy 1, within the GVRD are better (the I5 is bumpy and loud) BUT in comparison, that stretch of the I5 has:

-reflector (bumpy) lines
-longer on/off ramps
-better signage

So 3/4 conditions can easily be rectified, especially since Hwy1 is in the process of getting redone.

Right now the lines on Hwy1 (GVRD), absolutely suck. They go all over the place and the ones they cover with black paint (when lanes get moved, construction) can easily be confusing (especially when it's raining).

What's my point?
Fix the Hwy, educate drivers and increase the limit to 110km/h (70mph). If they want to implement an excessive speeding/impound infraction after that, go for it. Hell, make it anything over 30km/h past the limit.
You forgot to mention that there should be enforcement too. No sense in having a 110 limit and a bunch of people doing 140+.

I was also coming up yesterday from Seattle, and I'm quite sure I saw two officers inside a 95 oldsmobile. Now that's undercover.

110-120 is fast enough for here, imo. Especially given how bad people drive and how easy it is to get a licence.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #170
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
every car nowadays are 300hp+, bigger brakes, summer tires seems to be standard.
Really?
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #171
Banned (BBM)

no, not really
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #172
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Damn taylor. You eff'ed up. Done. GG'd.
I missed it, what'd that noob say this time!? :noob:
And WTF my posts still can't get thanks, weird.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #173
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post

-reflector (bumpy) lines
-longer on/off ramps
-better signage

What's my point?
Once the new freeway is done I can see them upping the limit to 100kph or there abouts all the way.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #174
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
the hwys in BC are sooo bunk...

1-2 lanes with traffic lights are called hwy... damn

i agree about raising the speed limit but only in certain parts.. not everything all together..
Old 09-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Once the new freeway is done I can see them upping the limit to 100kph or there abouts all the way.
Hopefully. I mean, if you can do 100 on Hwy1 past Hope, reason says you should be able to do at least that on a five-lane modern highway.

We'll see, I guess.