REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #26
I am grateful grapefruit

But that's just how our culture is. Everyone will always push the boundaries here. Doesn't matter where you are in North America - if you place a speed limit - people will go 10-20 higher. What do you propose? keep on raising the limit till nobody is stupid enough to go faster?
Advertisement
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #27
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
im fine with the current speed limits, and i dont plan on excessively speeding in the city.

i do think they should make a couple more laws and enforce dumbass bikers though. (pedal bikes and those stupid electric scooters)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #28
Banned (BBM)

i dont know, i think 110-120km seems to flow really well overall on the highway, just look at I5 in seattle.

i didnt feel the need to do 160km, 120km cruising seems comfortable.
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #29
straight from the fields of squamton

this is upsetting.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #30
JV6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

meh i drive like a grandma anyways so no biggie
JV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD像 View Post
I recognize your username as the douchebag that posted so much useless garbage on that site that you got banned. Keep up the good work! Your opinion matters!

140-150 in a modern car on a highway is nothing and is easily done safely, on a bike it's a sneeze. This is yet another babysitting law that's coddling the lowest common denominators on our roads.

And I do take it to the track, thanks!
dont know why i can't thank you
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #32
agm
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

protip: pedestrian limbs detach from the body in collisions with objects travelling greater than 90km/h

think about that next time you hit some dude on a bike that came out of nowhere while you were doin 40 over in a 50 zone. thats why his leg came off and thats why the law is 40 over.

ive seen it at 2am on the highway and i really fuckin hope none of you see it, let alone do that to someone.
agm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #33
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

These laws r senseless after knowing people who get more speeding tickets in their driving lifetime than movie tickets. People who have the money to blow on exotic cars or mods will continue to fly down highway one at 180km/h no mater how high the fines are. I've sat beside drivers who don't care when they r getting tickets...most of the time they say to the officer "here is my license n registration so gimme the dam ticket n stop wasting my time, and if you do choose to waste my time I will have lawyers n media to stir up a shit storm on your behalf"
N I just sit on the passenger side n watch n laugh my ass off.
Posted via RS Mobile
nosleepboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #34
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

all i can see is government is making more new exuceses to put their hands in our pockets...
windchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #35
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
this thread is pretty funny. I don't understand why people are in such a hurry to get places. a 30km stretch on the highway driven at 120km/h will get you there in 15 minutes. the same stretch driven at 90km/h (10 over the speed limit on Highway 1) will get you there in 20 minutes. Is it really that bad that you need to get to where you are going 5 minutes quicker...?
Only 5 minutes quicker but infinitely more fun. You must drive a corolla or something.

And 120km/h in an 80 zone isn't excessive. 140 is excessive - 75% higher than the speed limit.

Just as 90km/h is 80% higher than the limit in a 50 zone.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #36

How is this law a money grab? As people mentioned, the "flow" of traffic is usually 10-20km/h above the posted limits. If they increased fines for people driving 10-20km/h over, then that would be a cash grab.

How often do you see someone doing 40km/h over the limit? Especially in the city?
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #37
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,717 Times in 1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goo3 View Post
Only 5 minutes quicker but infinitely more fun. You must drive a corolla or something.

And 120km/h in an 80 zone isn't excessive. 140 is excessive - 175% higher than the speed limit.

Just as 90km/h is 80% higher than the limit in a 50 zone.
I think the point at which a speed is considered "excessive" should be calculated by % of the limit, not by a set 40km/h. Something like 80% over the posted limit, then fine.

I agree that anyone who does 90km/h in the city should get a shit kicking.

But someone speeding on an empty highway in the middle of butt fuck nowhere should not have their car taken away.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 AM   #38
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
I recognize your username as the douchebag that posted so much useless garbage on that site that you got banned. Keep up the good work! Your opinion matters!
I got banned cause I made fun of tards like you who think the street is your personal racetrack. I could post my PMs from the moderators saying I did nothing wrong, just the membership didn't like me so I had to go. No wonder they didn't like me, there's not an ounce of intelligence on that entire site, they were ill equipped to argue my points - much like you are.

Quote:
140-150 in a modern car on a highway is nothing and is easily done safely, on a bike it's a sneeze. This is yet another babysitting law that's coddling the lowest common denominators on our roads.
It is not done safely with the amount of traffic on our roads. Sure on some of the more remote highways the speed limit is asinine, yet there is no reason to be 40+ over anywhere in the GVA.

Quote:
And I do take it to the track, thanks!
Good, then we don't have a problem.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #39
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS View Post
HOWEVER... if they're gonna keep stiffening speeding laws, how about re-assessing our speed limits in the first place. it should be a give and take relationship between government and the public, but it just seems like all the government wants to do is keep taking.
The highways here are 110 kmph compared to 100 kmph in Ontario. I think that's great considering the highways here wind through the mountains without many straights compared to the long, flat, straight highways in Ontario.

The only way highway speeds will be raised is:
1. Greater driver education. Get the bad drivers off the road.
2. Less traffic. Yes the speed during the late evening seems silly, yet during the middle of the day in traffic most cannot even do the speed limit do to congestion.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:13 AM   #40
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
But if you want to do it, go ahead - "push your car to the limit that manufacturers designed", because you have the big brakes and horsepower... have fun getting impounded as well!
This is the argument of every single sport bike owner. They believe cause they can buy rides capable of doing the speed, they should be allowed. Then they wonder why the government is considering engine size restrictions.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #41
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
every car nowadays are 300hp+, bigger brakes, summer tires seems to be standard. Cars no longer stop 200 feet, but 120 feet.
The majority of cars are Civics, Corollas, ... with 150hp and brakes that don't stop that fast.
The majority of drivers don't pay attention, cause they are stuck in traffic and only really care about getting A->B, they aren't enthusiasts like us. Or the have kids in the backseat distracting them.

That aside, even if every car was capable of that, until driver licensing is increased to the point of taking bad drivers off the road, and traffic dealt with to relieve congestion, the low speed limits we have stay.

Most ignorant (read: you) people think Germany has these high speed roads and it just works. They don't understand getting a license requires 10+ courses and $2000+ dollars, thus why people drive better. They also don't understand Germany has speed limits, very strictly enforced speed limits. You think the fines are tough here, look up the fines there.

Last edited by taylor192; 09-03-2010 at 08:15 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #42
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee.Tee.Ar View Post
How about make driving tests harder and mandatory government performance driving lessons. Then we can raise the speed limit up and make our own Canadian Autobahn yayy. But that wont happen of course haha
$2000 for a license and 10+ driving tests.

I'm all for it, yet since public transit sucks in this country compared to Germany, owning a car is a necessity for many (I said necessity, not right, driving is still a privilege), so making licensing cost $Ks would be very hard on people, especially rural folks.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:27 AM   #43
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I think the point at which a speed is considered "excessive" should be calculated by % of the limit, not by a set 40km/h. Something like 80% over the posted limit, then fine.

I agree that anyone who does 90km/h in the city should get a shit kicking.

But someone speeding on an empty highway in the middle of butt fuck nowhere should not have their car taken away.
I'll agree with you on this one. 40 kmph over isn't the same in a 50 kmph zone as it is in a 110 kmph zone, nor the same in a residential zone vs remote highway. It is too bad the current laws don't take this into account either.

Having come from Ontario where a similar law exists (except its 50 kmph over, 2 weeks impound, and $2000 fine) there have been stories of officers abusing the law by ticking agreessively at known speed changes. Ie you're doing 100 in an 80, then it changes to a 50. If you don't slow down immediately, which most don't - we just coast down, then suddenly you're caught excessive speeding.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #44
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Common sense is no longer common, if it was we wouldn't need ridiculous negative-incentive laws like these.
There is a reason BCSB has been nicknamed BCStupidBikes. The only common sense are those who at least take it to the track, yet they still stupidly argue to have the street as their personal racetrack.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #45
mpr

At this rate, our fines in the future will be like the ones in Switzerland.

Driving more than 25 kilometres an hour over the 120-kilometre speed limit on motorways in Switzerland is regarded as a criminal offence, and fines are based on a driver's income
Old 09-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #46
Banned (BBM)

Last edited by Mugen EvOlutioN; 09-03-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #47
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
why dont you shut the fuck up and get the fuck out with your fucking ugly piece of shitty ass C230 gay homo ass two tone ricer fast and furious paint job
Reported. Stay on topic.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #48
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
why dont you shut the fuck up and get the fuck out with your fucking ugly piece of shitty ass C230 gay homo ass two tone ricer fast and furious paint job
Dude, I dont wanna have to tell you to watch what you say, but if you keep this up you're gone. Your comment was COMPLETELY uncalled for.
You're lucky I'm in a good mood today. If I wasnt, I'd ban you, your kids, and your kid's kids from REVscene
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #49
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
The highways here are 110 kmph compared to 100 kmph in Ontario. I think that's great considering the highways here wind through the mountains without many straights compared to the long, flat, straight highways in Ontario.
Which highways in BC have a speed limit of 110 km/h other than Hwy 1 after you pass Buttfcuk nowhere. I believe it is 100 km/h after you pass Abbotsford or Langley where is it long, flat, and straight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #50
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Most ignorant (read: you) people think Germany has these high speed roads and it just works. They don't understand getting a license requires 10+ courses and $2000+ dollars, thus why people drive better. They also don't understand Germany has speed limits, very strictly enforced speed limits. You think the fines are tough here, look up the fines there.
very true. as well - all people think about in Germany is speed. What they don't know is that only on certain part of the Autobahn (german for Highway) are there no speed limits. On all other parts, speed limits do exist and are strictly enforced. I thought it was weird to be going all out on a highway, but then when you get into the city and everybody was driving 50. yep, 50km/h, not 55, not 60, but they were going 50.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: