REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 10-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #901
SiRVs up, dude

Does anyone else have issues syncing iCloud?
Haven't really taken a look before, but photos from my phone aren't visible on my iCloud... even though it takes up 5 gigs of space
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #902
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
really liking yosemite so far
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #903
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
How do I change the colour of the folder icons?
Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 12.50.46 AM.jpg
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #904

what to know too lol like everything in yosemite except for those cartoonish flat folders.

found some stability issues though. handoff work only 98% of the time. the worst one so far is mail. I use it alooooottt for work and it has crash on me 3 times in 3 hours, not sure if it handoff crashing it in the background or not
Old 10-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #905
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
yosmite has fucked with the bluetooth on my late 2012 MBP retina. my apple keyboard and magic mouse can no longer stay synced. they both worked just fine on mavericks and even for a little bit with yosmite but now its just a gong show. tried reseting the PRAM and re-pairing both devices and they still cant stay connected. the mouse gets connected but jumps all over the place and is so laggy. not happy right now..
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2014, 10:37 PM   #906
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
With all these problems people should just switch to a PC or install Windows and be done with it.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #907

fix my mail problem. had to ran repair disk from startup now yosemite is smooth as butter like all my previous OS X installs
Old 12-16-2014, 12:30 AM   #908
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
I got an ssd and a caddy, do I need to clone the drive before the install?

Whats the safest way (in terms of software) to do the install?
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:37 AM   #909
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
I got an ssd and a caddy, do I need to clone the drive before the install?

Whats the safest way (in terms of software) to do the install?
easiest is to clone via carbon copy cloner, then simply swap drives and reboot
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #910
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

^
Ditto!

What caddy? Optical drive adapter? If so then install the ssd in the main drive bay, sometimes there are performance issues running ssds in the optical drive bay.
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #911
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Dual hard hard drive upgraded on my laptop! So easy to do. Feels like I have a brand new laptop, sooooo fast.

I didn't end up cloning the drive, I just installed a new OS on the SSD.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2015, 08:50 PM   #912

Nice! I had to pull the ssd out of one of my MacBooks for a client job. Going back to the hard drive was the most painful 2 days, bought a new ssd and am now happy again.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:04 PM   #913
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

I'm hoping the prices of SSD's will lower within the next year or so, then I'll run dual SSD's hoping up to a terabyte.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:58 AM   #914

Smoking deals on Amazon.ca this past month... Crucial m500 240gb for $89 and m550 / mx100 512gb for $199.

These were the lowest I've seen for a good quality drive. After the sale was done there were back on sale a few days later but for $5-25 more. Last night I snagged a couple m550 256gb for $112 each.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:08 AM   #915
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
M500 is horrible, I wouldn't recommend it. Well for $90 it might be OK. M550 is good
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:23 AM   #916
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
I have a 2011 MBA, and when i boot it up sometimes it hangs on a white screen forever and sometimes it will boot up properly.

Also when it finally boots up, I get this message saying no wi-fi hardware installed, so I can't connect to the internet. Anyone know of a working solution?

It just happened all of a sudden one day, it was working perfectly fine the week before.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #917
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
Dual hard hard drive upgraded on my laptop! So easy to do. Feels like I have a brand new laptop, sooooo fast.

I didn't end up cloning the drive, I just installed a new OS on the SSD.
Which caddy did you use? Link?

I was looking at some that came with a USB enclosure for your disc-drive so you could use it if you really wanted. I somehow scored a 240gb Samsung drive for secret santa Definitely makes the Mac much faster, especially when opening iTunes/Microsoft Word
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #918
Bieksa eats bears for breakfast...

iTunes gets a real big boost when the itunes folder is on an SSD - the load times are much much faster.

Your balls are sensitive things!! They shouldn't be played around with, at least not like that, and you should NOT BE DIPPING THEM IN AFTERSHAVE! Oh my god, I feel sorry for your balls!"

ODC: "Wrong, a roots type blower will produce max boost from 0rpm to redline."

Iceman_19: "A roots makes zero boost at zero rpm, lol"

Ulic Qel-Droma: "haha go google image big black dick. or black cock. i forgot which term i used. it's one of the many."
Iceman_2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #919

So get a shittier OS and deal with more problems. Sorry, I'd rather go with a linux distro than install Windows. Mac OSX or Linus distro - Windows is just a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
With all these problems people should just switch to a PC or install Windows and be done with it.

Your balls are sensitive things!! They shouldn't be played around with, at least not like that, and you should NOT BE DIPPING THEM IN AFTERSHAVE! Oh my god, I feel sorry for your balls!"

Ulic Qel-Droma: "haha go google image big black dick. or black cock. i forgot which term i used. it's one of the many."
Old 01-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman_2K View Post
So get a shittier OS and deal with more problems. Sorry, I'd rather go with a linux distro than install Windows. Mac OSX or Linus distro - Windows is just a waste of time.
Windows 8.1 runs great on my $100 tablet. Apple charges that much just for a charger. Also that $100 included a charger.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #921

If you're paying $100 for an Apple charger, you're dumber than a rock. I've never, ever payed $100 for an Apple charger, and i've bought over 3 of them.

And to continue what you've started, Android 5.0 runs fine on my $50 tablet. That $50 also included a charger - what's your point? You want a race to the bottom; there's always someone that's cheaper than you.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman_2K View Post
If you're paying $100 for an Apple charger, you're dumber than a rock. I've never, ever payed $100 for an Apple charger, and i've bought over 3 of them.

And to continue what you've started, Android 5.0 runs fine on my $50 tablet. That $50 also included a charger - what's your point? You want a race to the bottom; there's always someone that's cheaper than you.
It's $89.99 on Apples website. Remember I'm talking about something running a full blow OS not something designed for a mobile phone.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #923

Right, which really isn't even relevant in a thread about Macbooks. The guy had an issue about a macbook and asked about it - you tell him to swap platforms instead of helping him out with his issue.

If you can't help, maybe you should just move along to a Windows thread.

Its the same as someone asking for help with his Volkswagen and you telling him to sell it and buy a Honda.

And to your point about a "full blown OS" - any OS is full blown; what matters is the application that its used for. Windows 8.1 is a desktop OS and by your definition full blown - so what? So is Ubuntu or Mac OSx, but so could something like Android or Sailfish or any other OS, as long as the desktop needs are met by that OS. Thats why there's an emergence of Chromebooks.

Nothing stops you from attaching a monitor via HDMI, and a powered USB hub with keyboard and mouse, to android phone or tablet, and using that whole setup as a desktop.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #924
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
A good way to get authentic chargers on the cheap is to grab the old generation one (one without magsafe2) and get an adapter as anyone who still have old stocks are clearing them out.

I got 2 magsafe1 adapters for 60bucks (85w, for 15/17" MBP. Supposedly used, but I could not tell any sign of usage. They even came nicely wrapped. And yes they were genuine apple adapters) off fleebay and 2 magsafe adapter from apple itself and voila. $85 tax-in for 2 additional adapters.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #925
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Long shot but:

Anyone have a 2010-2012 Macbook Air (11" or 13.3") that can help me out. My MBA is giving me a "No Wi-fi hardware installed" error.

Was wondering if anyone can allow me to swap their working airport card into mine to test if that is indeed the problem before I purchase a replacement online.

Operation is super easy and with minimal risks. Requires the removal of 10 screws on the bottom, 1 screw holding down the airport card, and 2 antennas connected to the card.

Operation: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook...lacement/10949