REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 11-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #851
Got MOD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin7352 View Post
It's not as bad as windows laptops, you're right but I can't justify losing $500 on the MBP especially when there's nothing wrong with it. Which sucks cuz I really want the MBA. Suggestions?
Buy a macbook air on it's own. Then u won't lose any money on the MBP
Advertisement
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #852
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
Staples is having 13.3" MacBook Air Laptop with Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD for $899 on Nov 29th.

Bestbuy currently has MacBook Air 11.6" Laptop with Intel Core i5 128GB for $899.99

fuuuuuuuuaggghh
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #853
Bieksa eats bears for breakfast...

unless you really want the smaller size, get the larger screen.

Your balls are sensitive things!! They shouldn't be played around with, at least not like that, and you should NOT BE DIPPING THEM IN AFTERSHAVE! Oh my god, I feel sorry for your balls!"

ODC: "Wrong, a roots type blower will produce max boost from 0rpm to redline."

Iceman_19: "A roots makes zero boost at zero rpm, lol"

Ulic Qel-Droma: "haha go google image big black dick. or black cock. i forgot which term i used. it's one of the many."
Iceman_2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #854
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
I recently purchased a mid-2012 Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.33 i7 quad-core with GT 650M 512MB for a steal at $950. I'm looking to take the optical drive out and put the original 500gb HDD there and install a 250gb Intel 530 SSD. I plan on installing boot camp and was wondering if I could split the SSD to install the OS', half for windows and the other half for Mac, doing the same on the HDD for random files. Would this work or are there any foreseeable problems that could occur?
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #855
Got MOD?

That should work. I'm assuming you mean boot camp the ssd. If you format the original 500gb as fat32 you won't need to split the drive as it'll be accessible under both os.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #856
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Install OSX on the SSD
Use Bootcamp to partition the SSD 50/50
Install Windows on the SSD

On the HDD you can go FAT32 but its not very efficient and is has a 4GB file limit
Maybe just format it HFS mac file system and install a driver in Windows to give read/write (bootcamp supplied drivers are read only).
Try MacDrive or Paragon HFS+
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #857
I STILL don't get it

Need a good sleeve for my 13" MacBook Pro Retina. Any good recommendations?
etodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #858
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Thinking of getting an iMAC the 27 inch with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M. Is the graphics card good enough for light gaming such as WoW? Also have anyone use the iMac and what do you guys think?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #859
My homepage has been set to RS

^

I used to play WoW on my old white Macbook, so the iMac will be perfectly good for light gaming. I've used the 27" for work and absolutely love it, highly recommended.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #860
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
On the HDD you can go FAT32 but its not very efficient and is has a 4GB file limit
Maybe just format it HFS mac file system and install a driver in Windows to give read/write (bootcamp supplied drivers are read only).
Try MacDrive or Paragon HFS+
Trying to avoid paying for software if I have to... what are the advantages and disadvantages of using exFAT compared to the recommendation above?

Also, having come from 13" macbooks with integrated graphics, the 15" Macbook pro is a beast for gaming!
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #861

Some programs only support HFS formatted volumes, i.e. iPhoto libraries will not open if stored on an unsupported filesystem. There may be other cases but you would really have to try it yourself, maybe with a test USB external drive.

Paragon HFS is only $20, just chop it up to the cost of owning a new Mac.
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #862
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
To wipe your data reinstall OS X from the disc, recovery partition or home made boot stick (google disk maker x). Before you start the install go the the utilities menu and open disk utility, select secure erase, a 3 pass should do fine...
Posted via RS Mobile
so i'm finally getting around to trying to wipe my data, but I can't find my disc! I looked up the recovery partition and the diskmaker X; however those are only for Lion and newer. From what i've found, I need Leopard because Lion doesn't work on my macbook. Currently, "About This Mac" says i'm running Mac OS X Version 10.5.8

If someone has the disc lying around can I please borrow it to wipe my data? My macbook is the late 2007 one.
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #863

you can make an usb boot stick with any flavour of OSX, boot up from said usb stick while holding alt and then reinstall the OS.
sunny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #864
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Just purchased a rMBP 13" about a week ago, was wondering if there are any good recommended cases/sleeves for it. Looking into a hard shell, vinyl perhaps and will definitely purchase a sleeve for it, currently just have a suede sleeve for it.

Noticed that the little rubber feet tend to wear really easily so would like to protect them

Thanks RS
LemonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #865
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Honestly the name brands like Speck, Moshi etc are pretty much the same. Once you have a case, you don't really need a sleeve if you carry it in a laptop bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonT View Post
Just purchased a rMBP 13" about a week ago, was wondering if there are any good recommended cases/sleeves for it. Looking into a hard shell, vinyl perhaps and will definitely purchase a sleeve for it, currently just have a suede sleeve for it.

Noticed that the little rubber feet tend to wear really easily so would like to protect them

Thanks RS
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #866
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

quick question for the current mbpR users (2013), been having problems late with an older usb 4 port hub when it comes to loading 3 external drives and the apple guys recommended the belkin usb3.0 superspeed hub.

any of you guys use this? seems like from the macforums the belkin is the worst and another brand called Anker Uspeed is highly recommended (unfortunately can only be ordered on amazon)
moky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #867
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonT View Post

Thanks RS
There was no difference between my ebay mba case versus my classmates speck mbp case. Same shit, I just paid $40 less.
MY PENIS IS THE SIZE OF A CIGARETTE LIGHTER! jizzing on my keyboard is hard for me! imma be fucked for life, but fuck it I'm a BITCH!
hongy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #868

I bought one of these Orico ones.. very nicely finished in aluminum and sturdy too.. you can add 5V power if you need some oomph for older drives.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORICO-4-Ports-USB-3-0-HUB-Super-Speed-5Gbps-Aluminum-with-Power-Adapter-Silver-/171147218075?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item27d92b4c9b

Quote:
Originally Posted by moky View Post
quick question for the current mbpR users (2013), been having problems late with an older usb 4 port hub when it comes to loading 3 external drives and the apple guys recommended the belkin usb3.0 superspeed hub.

any of you guys use this? seems like from the macforums the belkin is the worst and another brand called Anker Uspeed is highly recommended (unfortunately can only be ordered on amazon)
Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #869

Looking to upgrade my early 2011 13" to a 15" retina MBP.

I'm debating whether to get the early 2013 version or the late 2013 version. I'll be using it as a work / home machine, and will mainly be running Adobe programs. I understand the early 2013 MBP has the dedicated graphics card, whereas the newer base model doesn't.

I can get a lightly used early 2013 MBP for $1800, or a new late 2013 MBP for $2283. Any thoughts?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #870

You can order a late 2013 MBP with dedicated graphics a Nvidia GT that's for 2700. Configure - Apple Store (Canada)

I rather have the late 2013 because you get Thunderbolt 2.0 instead of version 1. There will be bound to be new hardware that will need v.2

With Adobe CC I always find the newer the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianhay View Post
Looking to upgrade my early 2011 13" to a 15" retina MBP.

I'm debating whether to get the early 2013 version or the late 2013 version. I'll be using it as a work / home machine, and will mainly be running Adobe programs. I understand the early 2013 MBP has the dedicated graphics card, whereas the newer base model doesn't.

I can get a lightly used early 2013 MBP for $1800, or a new late 2013 MBP for $2283. Any thoughts?
Old 01-06-2014, 06:32 AM   #871

$2700 is a bit more than I wan't to spend, especially since after taxes + extended Applecare it clocks in at over 3k.

All the reviews I've read have said the performance of the GT 650M trump the Iris Pro, but the Iris Pro improves battery life. I'm just wondering if the dedicated card will perform better with Adobe, especially if I can save nearly $500-600 after extended Applecare.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #872
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianhay View Post
$2700 is a bit more than I wan't to spend, especially since after taxes + extended Applecare it clocks in at over 3k.

All the reviews I've read have said the performance of the GT 650M trump the Iris Pro, but the Iris Pro improves battery life. I'm just wondering if the dedicated card will perform better with Adobe, especially if I can save nearly $500-600 after extended Applecare.
I currently own both the Late 2013 retina macbook pro 15'' as well as the new one.

-The Iris Pro's extra hour of battery life doesn't mean much when you are running Adobe. For example, I run Lightroom and Aperture, and the programs are all very power and cpu intensive.

-The iris pro shines slightly in power-savings when you are using the macbook away from the charger and browsing the web with the screen brightness set between low to medium.

-Since you stated that it will be a primary home machine, i assume it'll be on the charger most of the time anyhow.

-The thunderbolt V2 again, doesnt mean very much if you don't use the port frequently. By far, the USB 3.0 ports have served my needs pretty well.

By all means, I would go for the cheaper option, the Late retina model is pretty solid. Do note though, try to find one that has a retina display that's made my Samsung. The LG variants are prone to screen-ghosting and is very annoying.

My 2 cents
Gallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #873

Cool, thanks Gallardo! I usually always use my laptop plugged in / will likely always have my charger with me, so you're right on that front. I think I'll go for the cheaper option and save myself a bunch of money.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #874
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,107 Times in 271 Posts
My external hard drive isn't showing up/mounted anymore. Not sure what is causing it. I upgraded my Mac Mini to OS X Mavericks 2 days ago. I think that's when the problem started. It works when I plug the hard drive into another mac (not running maverick) so I don't think the external hard drive is broken. When I plug it into the mini, I can hear the hard drive run, but nothing ever shows up on screen. The hard drive is listed in the disk utility but is greyed out/unmounted. When I try to mount it, a popup tells me it doesn't work.

Does anyone know what's the deal?
KingDeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #875
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Had a similar issue, it was a bad patch cord.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote