REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   OFFICIAL WORKOUT/TRAINING THREAD v2.0 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/659190-official-workout-training-thread-v2-0-a.html)

SkinnyPupp 07-16-2018 12:54 AM

I've been cutting, so taking it easy on the weight and doing more cardio. I am treating this with stretching and a bit of rolling. Little by little, it's improving. Most of the pain is gone, just some numbness and limping. Still can't do a calf raise on that side because of the numbness WutFace

XplicitLuder 07-20-2018 06:33 PM

anyone got a good consistent plan to build strength again ? i wanna get back to going gym consistently, and i been doing a lot of 3x10 or so but im not sure if thats the best for me right now. Trying to lose weight, usually adding 20-30mins of cardio at the end of every session with the bike (HIIT style or constant speed with resistance)

debating if to do a 5x5 routine again, get some strength back, but i found when i did that program in high school it made me look bulkier/stockier ,where as i wanna "look" skinnier and lose the belly and some waist inches

ps: i know its all about the diet, but hoping you brosefs can help recommend a good program (insert link for bodybuilding plan or other in here lulz )

GabAlmighty 07-24-2018 05:48 PM

Do more cardio mang. I'm at 45 minutes every day, and I don't really watch what I eat.

stewie 08-20-2018 06:30 AM

question regarding 24 hour gyms. There's one down the street from me which I was planning on signing up to and I got there and there's no staff so doors are locked. Apparently staff only work during regular business hours. Is that normal? Seems a bit unsafe. If someone is the only one there and has a heart attack/stroke/medical emergency there's nobody to help them. I'll sign up regardless as I can Imagine there would be a couple people there at all times.

Normal? Gym is Goodlife - fit4less

Energy 08-20-2018 06:39 AM

That is normal. I go to anytime fitness and it is exactly like that. They have these devices you can wear where if you press them it will call emergency services. Haven’t seen anyone use them though.

Berzerker 08-21-2018 12:17 PM

Almost all 24 hour gyms run like that. Unless it's a massive one. My gym staff work 9-6 but it's a 24 hour gym.

Berz out.

hal0g0dv2 09-17-2018 01:49 PM

that is why you sign papers at a 24 hour gym.

racerman88 01-22-2019 02:23 PM

BJ Penn will be here this Saturday at the Steve Nash UFC gym in North Vancouver if anyone is interested.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...52cb8a6f2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dapperfied 04-16-2019 06:09 PM

Alright swole bros, if I do lift and do 30 mins cardio after is that considered too much?

I'm worried about burning muscle. I've been told it's a myth if I do it after lifts.

320icar 04-16-2019 08:40 PM

Cardio is an important part of being healthy and athletic. You can use cardio as your warm up for the body area you’re working that day.

Doing legs? Jump on the bike for 30 minutes. Back and shoulders? Hit that rowing machine. Arms and chest? Just do a 5k run on the treadmill. Once you’re done the warm up, do your rounds of lifting for about an hour or whatever and done. If you’re eating the right calories and still tearing muscle, you’re not going to lose it

iwantaskyline 11-23-2019 08:39 AM

whats a good gym in brentwood area? already aware of steve nash...heard it gets really busy.

mikemhg 11-23-2019 02:29 PM

^It's not so bad as long as you get there before 4:30 PM in terms of parking.

There will be new gyms opening up @ Brentwood Mall, but I'd say Nash is the best option for now. Good Life @ Metro is crap.

Berzerker 11-23-2019 03:52 PM

Wow. Bro's. What happened to us???

Berz out.

SkinnyPupp 11-23-2019 08:17 PM

My last post here was July 2018 during a cut, after spraining my SI joint. That has since been cured essentially. It's still "iffy" and I can't do deadlifts from the ground. I have to either do rack pulls, or trap bar deadlifts with the higher grips.

Since then I tore my right shoulder labrum. Opted not to go for surgery, but with shoulder rehab instead. Because of that, I really fell off on the workouts. I'd still go once or twice a week, but have skipped about 4 or 5 weeks entirely throughout the year.

I can finally do just about everything I could before, with not a ton of pain. Certain movements I can't do - pull ups are painful. Bench press is out of the question without aid, although I can do them with that Mark Bell thing, or I can do incline press no problem.

My right shoulder is pretty significantly smaller than the left, although it's only really noticeable in the rack position, or arms stretched to the side. If my arms are relaxed, you can't really tell.

So there's my update. I am back to bulking for the winter (usually I cut during this time actually) and while I have a decent dad gut, I am sure I can get rid of it in a month with a hard cut. I am deciding whether to do that before xmas so I don't feel so shitty with this big gut, or after since I'll be pigging out during xmas anyway. At 40, I don't think I can ever get a full six pack without significantly hindering life, so a 4 pack with that little "donut" around the belly button will have to do LUL

iwantaskyline 11-23-2019 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemhg (Post 8967403)
^It's not so bad as long as you get there before 4:30 PM in terms of parking.

There will be new gyms opening up @ Brentwood Mall, but I'd say Nash is the best option for now. Good Life @ Metro is crap.

Unfortunately I have a 9-5 life. How's it in the mornings? Like 6 AM.

mikemhg 11-24-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantaskyline (Post 8967450)
Unfortunately I have a 9-5 life. How's it in the mornings? Like 6 AM.

Morning are decent, so I've heard. You should just do 2 week trial pass, that way you can check it out and see if it'll work for ya, if not, nothing to lose anyways.

Fitness 2000 is another gym you can check out, but it's by Lougheed Mall.

Nash is your best option here, unfortunately.

wreck 12-14-2019 03:46 PM

#bulk season

instantneedles 12-23-2019 01:35 PM

Coming back to this thread after a few years hiatus from dat gym life. After a few weeks of sticking to a routine, I'm glad to say my gains are starting to come back :)

68style 01-16-2020 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8967427)
So there's my update. I am back to bulking for the winter (usually I cut during this time actually) and while I have a decent dad gut, I am sure I can get rid of it in a month with a hard cut. I am deciding whether to do that before xmas so I don't feel so shitty with this big gut, or after since I'll be pigging out during xmas anyway. At 40, I don't think I can ever get a full six pack without significantly hindering life, so a 4 pack with that little "donut" around the belly button will have to do LUL

I have similar issue to you and same age (41 right now)... keep alternating between tearing up my right or left shoulders which hampers the type of lifts (I don't need to tell you)... and for 2 years I've been chasing a 6 pack but just can't do any more than 4 upper ones... and below the belly button, that quarter inch of fat just never goes away. Never! So annoying.

My main issue is playing floor hockey constantly, I keep hurting myself playing that and then it hampers my gym stuff... but love it too much to give it up lol

SkinnyPupp 01-16-2020 03:06 PM

My shoulder is pretty much 90% now, maybe 95%. But this week I decided to try squats again for the first time in a long time. Just very light, did like two sets. Boom, bulging disc flared up again. Could barely get dressed the next day. FUUUUUUUUCK

Doing some hanging and 'sphinx pose' stretches to get that fucker back in place, but had to stay home for a couple days. Can't even pick up my cat, let alone any weights. I think I should be good enough to maybe do a back day today or tomorrow though. Definitely can't do shoulder press, as that would compress the spine too much. Putting my lower back in flexion in any way triggers it, so I can't lean over to pick up dumbbells.

Once this is better, I am going to focus mainly on lower back and glute activation (I noticed that my right glute rarely fires properly anymore). I need to bulletproof my back in order to avoid this from ever happening again. I can't not squat.

But yeah, we have to be happy with our 4 pack. That puts us ahead of 99% of dudes over 40 anyway lol. And that is when most of those lifelong skinny dudes who didn't have to think about what they ate start to grow their pregnant belly. LUL

Berzerker 01-16-2020 04:36 PM

I'll be 45 in a couple months. Stagnant weight these days is around 255lbs. Safe to say I've changed my bodytype, or age has finally caught up with me (like I was always told it would when I was skinny. haha. I look back at pics from 5-7 years ago and wow I'm a totally different person. I went from a young looking 185lb to a 255-260lb big middle aged dude. I don't even mind. My kid starts school in Sept and I'll be able to go back to the gym full time like I was before. I basically gave up lifting once he was born as my schedule wouldn't allow it.

Berz out.

SkinnyPupp 01-16-2020 04:51 PM

I'm still in better shape than I was in the first 36 years of my life, definitely not peak form though lol

I am planning to start a cut by Feb, but I am actually getting decent weight gain (aside from injuries) so I keep putting it off until I get bored of eating and lifting this way. Mostly I am getting fed up with having a gut, but I am trying to be patient with it. At the very least I want my shoulders to be symmetrical again (my right is pretty badly atrophied after the labrum tear)

I am a huge proponent of TRT, and if GH wasn't so damn expensive I'd be looking towards that as well. Also interested in other anti-aging things like metformin and nicotinamide mononucleotide. Unfortunately metformin really fucks with your gainz (and it may not matter whether you're natty or not, since it's not test related)

mikemhg 01-18-2020 11:22 AM

I'm still in the gym 5 days a week. Your body changes as you age though, I'm 34 now, and I've learned to lower the weight and concentrate more on the rep and form itself.

What were you attempting to squat?

You don't necessarily need to squat to build your legs, maybe try squatting with 2 kettle bells, or lower the barbell weight substantially.

There is nothing wrong with squatting a plate a side for reps, I do that often nowadays to protect my knees. My legs have not shrunk whatsoever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8971623)
My shoulder is pretty much 90% now, maybe 95%. But this week I decided to try squats again for the first time in a long time. Just very light, did like two sets. Boom, bulging disc flared up again. Could barely get dressed the next day. FUUUUUUUUCK

Doing some hanging and 'sphinx pose' stretches to get that fucker back in place, but had to stay home for a couple days. Can't even pick up my cat, let alone any weights. I think I should be good enough to maybe do a back day today or tomorrow though. Definitely can't do shoulder press, as that would compress the spine too much. Putting my lower back in flexion in any way triggers it, so I can't lean over to pick up dumbbells.

Once this is better, I am going to focus mainly on lower back and glute activation (I noticed that my right glute rarely fires properly anymore). I need to bulletproof my back in order to avoid this from ever happening again. I can't not squat.

But yeah, we have to be happy with our 4 pack. That puts us ahead of 99% of dudes over 40 anyway lol. And that is when most of those lifelong skinny dudes who didn't have to think about what they ate start to grow their pregnant belly. LUL

SkinnyPupp 01-18-2020 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemhg (Post 8971711)
I'm still in the gym 5 days a week. Your body changes as you age though, I'm 34 now, and I've learned to lower the weight and concentrate more on the rep and form itself.

What were you attempting to squat?

You don't necessarily need to squat to build your legs, maybe try squatting with 2 kettle bells, or lower the barbell weight substantially.

There is nothing wrong with squatting a plate a side for reps, I do that often nowadays to protect my knees. My legs have not shrunk whatsoever.

You think 34 is bad, you just wait LUL

One thing I highly recommend to anyone your age is do what I didn't do - work on "prehab" and make your joints and back bulletproof. Get those bands now, and spend time each day working on those tiny shitty muscles you can't see, but are so important in keeping everything 'in place'. Smash out any stiff muscles with a lacrosse ball. Do it all now so you don't have to do it after injury when you're 40.

Or maybe I just have shit genetics, who knows.

I was only doing a plate a side... If I were to ever attempt again, I'd probably just do the bar and go from there lol. Feels pathetic but not much I can do. For shoulder press I went from 90 kg for reps to like 35 kg (started at just the bar). I can work my way up, but I am not going to go any higher than 60 kg from now on.

I know squatting isn't the best leg exercise, but it's great for so much as a whole. Just feelsgoodman you know?

Back still hasn't healed yet as of this morning, but at least I can pick stuff up now.

mikemhg 01-19-2020 10:51 AM

You doing your shoulder presses with a barbell? That's the problem.

I do military presses with the barbell at times, but shoulder pain has made it less appealing. Definitely recommend doing your shoulder presses standing, with either kettle bells, or dumbbells. Much easier on the shoulders by far.

You're right on the stretching and rehab though, I'm terrible at doing that stuff, but I'm going to start more now.