REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 10-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #526
Rs has made me the man i am today!

/////
Advertisement

Last edited by -vancityguy-; 08-04-2017 at 11:23 AM.
-vancityguy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #527

Thanked 1,132 Times in 237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -vancityguy- View Post
does one bar of service basically equate to no service?

i notice in one room of my house(spend a lot of time in this room) that the bars are 1 bar and quickly shoot up but its always doing that like back and forth. when i dialed the cell and its on 1 bar it wont ring and i get the missed call text message.

edit: now it seems to ring even with one bar but a bunch of times at first it would not... hope this isn't a common thing.
what phone do you have?

i have the s3 and even with 1 bar i can still make good calls and internet speed is about 3.1kbps.. it only happen to me once where i tried to make a call and didnt go through. did it again right away and made the call

and my room average about 3 bars but it will bounce back to 1 to 2 bars every now and then.. does it happen to you every where other than your house? my connection is consistent outside at 4 bars
dub.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #528
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
notice my bars constantly bounce from 1-4 all the time, like back n forth non stop, is this normal??
It may depend on what your phone is doing at the time. If you've got background syncing on, it may give you full bars when the phone is idle, but then when it starts to draw data the bars may go down due to latency or whatnot.

At least, this is what I think I remember reading somewhere. That bars aren't actually "real" until stuff gets transferred. I wouldn't worry about it too much, regardless of the number of bars I get I seem to get a fairly consistent connection.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #529

/
/////

Last edited by -vancityguy-; 08-04-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #530
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
With that kind of plan, good luck keeping your credits, let alone adding to them.

Find a buddy who's got Wind at UBC, or failing that just see if there's someone who lives out that way who can wander through the buildings.

As far as "getting better reception soon", it's actually quite good. If you're a UBC student now, you probably don't remember Fido a decade ago, but it's very similar. And with the missed-call texts and UBC's wifi coverage, it shouldn't be a problem for you to get coverage wherever you are!
My plan is $27.50 right now not $20 lol. I think some people have the same plan for $17.50 which is crazy. I was thinking of getting it and trying it out for a few days since i have 14 days to return it, but i don't have a phone that works with wind right now. If i get one when i activate the plan, can i keep the plan and return the phone only? And do i have to pay for the sim card?
gamzerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #531

//////

Old 10-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #532

Quote:
i have that $17.50 plan with rogers but am probably going to give it away and stick with wind.

i did the 14 day/30min trial also. for what im paying and what im getting in return it seems worth it. i don't use my phone a lot, if i did maybe i'd stay with rogers.
Wouldn't it be better to stay with rogers if you didn't use your phone a lot? Because now you're paying more and having more features that you don't need no? Unless you're going with pay-as-you-go and not the $29 plan.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #533
The Lone Wanderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamzerz View Post
Wouldn't it be better to stay with rogers if you didn't use your phone a lot? Because now you're paying more and having more features that you don't need no? Unless you're going with pay-as-you-go and not the $29 plan.
Unless you want to add Data, because there's no way you can get data for anything close to $30 with RoBelLus.

Vancity, how was it with a phone and sim? Did you buy both, or...?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #534

////////

Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #535

I think i'm going to sign up tomorrow (if they're open) or any time before the promotion ends just to see how the reception is. Going to get $5 off too because my brother already has a line with wind so that makes the deal even sweeter.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:06 AM   #536
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Currently contemplating on getting the $29 plan with the One S as the S3 is too big for my taste. Anyone have opinions on if I should get a different phone instead?
db2 #51 - garage queen/summer daily
golf mk3 - 2016 winter beater [sold]
ae92 - 2017 spring beater
Cillu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #537

Saturday was the first time I ever lost reception in a critical location. Inside the richmond Silver City theater lol. Other than that, wind has been running like a champ!
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #538

/////

Last edited by -vancityguy-; 08-04-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #539

Quote:
aws penetration must be very weak to lose signal in a movie theater. i am guessing all bigger/concrete type buildings will have this problem?
All I know is that it runs perfectly around town and even on the outskirts of Coquitlam it still works! Maybe it was just a fluke, but has anyone else had reception loss in that theater?
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #540
The Lone Wanderator

Quote:
aws penetration must be very weak to lose signal in a movie theater. i am guessing all bigger/concrete type buildings will have this problem?
Any high-frequency radio waves have difficulty penetrating dense materials. That's why the 850 band is so important for RoBelLus and why the 700 will be so important for wind.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #541

/////

Last edited by -vancityguy-; 08-04-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #542
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
i remember the pre 850 days with rogers and it was very spotty, also with fido when they first came out. what are the odds of wind obtaining this 700 band?
Very high! They will fold if they don't.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #543
The Lone Wanderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Very high! They will fold if they don't.
Virtually guaranteed. I'll write more about why when I'm home.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #544
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Thinking of jumping the gun to Wind. Stupid Rogers is way overprice lol 85 dollars for almost the same plan I can get with Wind for 40 + tax. I try to tell the rep about it but they won't lower my price.

I just have one question since Wind is getting Note2 soon does anyone know when they get it? If it is coming I mind as well wait for it.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #545

//////

Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #546
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
fold as in bankrupt cya or get bought out?

please do. im on the fence on keeping my wind phone. i am still within the 14 days but the bouncing bar thing kinda irks me. if it is worth keeping ill stay though as i have someone who will take over my rogers contract.

one more thing will the current wind phones run on this 700 frequency or will new handsets be required? and when does it go up for auction?
I think it goes up for auction in early 2013.

For Sale:

BNIB Acupuncture Wallet PM me for details

Google / LG Nexus 4
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #547
The Lone Wanderator

It goes up for auction in late 2012/early 2013. The 700 frequency has been/will be divided into four "lots", where no corporation is allowed to control more than one of those chunks. The auction is blind, so nobody knows what anyone else is bidding at the time. I think it's got rounds, so all that jazz.

Basically the way it's breaking down is that Rogers Bell and Telus are all likely to control one chunk each, and that the remaining chunk will be divided by Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron/Public. Given Wind's deeper pockets (being funded by Orascom), it's likely that they'll control a greater chunk than the rest--allowing for better speeds and connections and all that jazz.

Also, yes. If you want to access the 700mHz frequencies, you'll have to get a new handset. But since the 700 frequency is not likely to roll out for another 2 years (1 year for auction 1 year for rollout, probably in Toronto for a test and Vancouver in their second stage with Montreal/Calgary), then it's likely any new phone you buy by then will have 700. The next phone I puchase (I've got a Gnex which is pentaband) will have to have 700 just so I can be more future-proof.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #548

[////

Old 10-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #549
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Thinking of jumping the gun to Wind. Stupid Rogers is way overprice lol 85 dollars for almost the same plan I can get with Wind for 40 + tax. I try to tell the rep about it but they won't lower my price.

I just have one question since Wind is getting Note2 soon does anyone know when they get it? If it is coming I mind as well wait for it.
It is arriving in North America next month.

Quote:
fold as in bankrupt cya or get bought out?

please do. im on the fence on keeping my wind phone. i am still within the 14 days but the bouncing bar thing kinda irks me. if it is worth keeping ill stay though as i have someone who will take over my rogers contract.

one more thing will the current wind phones run on this 700 frequency or will new handsets be required? and when does it go up for auction?
Fold as in either get acquired or merged with a larger mobile carrier if they cannot get their hands on 700MHz. They will and must get 700MHz spectrum.

New handsets will be required to run on the new LTE network. NOTE II WIND version will be available on WIND, but I am unclear if that version will work on WIND's future 700MHz LTE network.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #550
The Lone Wanderator

Quote:
that isn't too bad then. will the 700 mhz enable better building penetration? i did a quick google search and someone said it only applies to data speeds and voice would still be the current frequency.
Lower frequencies always penetrate better

I can't speak to what someone else has said on the interwebs, but it's my understanding that all transmissions from phones are "data" whether they be voice or interwebs. I may be wrong, perhaps someone who has worked in the industry could step in and help.