REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #576
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Just came back from the states and was reminded of yet another reason I like wind. Cheap roaming.

20c/minute for calls
15c/text
OR
$5/mo
10c/min
5c/text

If you do a lot of travelling/spend lot of time in the States...it's a very good plan. Keep in mind this is coming from Rogers, where I was paying, if I remember correctly, 75c/minute and 45c/text. Which can add up if you call people a couple times "I'm here" or "come out".
You've remembered incorrectly. It's 75 cents a text and $2 per minute roaming with rogers. Don't even get me started.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #577
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

this morning's speedtest.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #578
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
^^ DAMNIT.. i gotta get me a Note!!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #579
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo E View Post

So far my speeds have been pretty inconsistent. Not nearly as good as yours.

I also spoke with a Wind CSR for the first time today, this being about my voicemail. Seemed like he didn't know what was going on. At the end of the conversation, he told me it would be sent to the IT team and would take up to 3-5 days. Since I'm saving quite a bit on my monthly bill, I can take the trade off of a few days to fix, but I know typically Telus would have resolved my problem pretty quick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2012-10-13-19-24-14.jpg (30.0 KB, 0 views)
cdnav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #580
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Hey guys so I have an update on my comparison between wind and rogers.
Like I said I borrowed my dads phone for a few days to see what the receptions like.
NOTE: this is on a Huawei U2801 phone. Definitely not the best but it does the job for a retired man.

So my phone is a BB9700 on Rogers just so we're clear.

I took both phones with me for 3 days and I've noticed that literally 75% of the places that I went, I was consistently getting 4-5 bars on wind while I was getting the same if not 1 or 2 bars less on my BB.

At le gf's in vancouver heights, I had 5 bars on both phones and call quality was fine.
I tested three calls and one of them was fuzzy and was somewhat hard to understand.
I had full bars on wind all the way boundary to DT.

In the PC underground parking lot, I completely lost signal on wind (wasn't too surprised) while having 2-3 bars on my BB.
When I got outside though, I still couldn't get a signal on wind. In fact I walked outside for a few minutes and the phone was still saying "connecting to network". It was only when I restarted the phone did it find a network.
Outside of PC, call quality was decent, a bit fuzzy at times but could definitely still make out what the other person was saying.

Inside PC, the wind phone had 2-3 bars and had no problems in any of the stores. My bb had 4-5 bars the whole time.
Both phones had 5 bars all along Robson, but I noticed that at the back of AE on Robson, the wind phone dropped to a single bar while my BB still held 5. But honestly... who cares lol.

Also had full bars on both phones from DT to Richmond via. Cambie / Oak bridge.
Call quality in Richmond was a bit iffy for me. Made a few calls, to my BB and my gf's BB (who's on Bell) and vice versa and found that one call was fuzzy while the other was just hard to hear because parts of the call were getting cut out.

Metro seemed to be fine; the wind phone had 3-5 bars while my BB was a bit better. The wind phone had signal pretty much everywhere except TNT.
Call quality was average at metro. I got a call from a friend who was DT and found it to be fine, with a slight bit of static noise in the middle of the convo.

I took the phone to school with me (Cap U) and found that outside the buildings, I consistently had 3 bars, however I had no connection at all in my classroom. My BB consistently held 4-5 bars.
For those that go to Cap, It was only in the classrooms, didn't check in the library or caf'.
I'm told that it's the same story at UBC, not sure about SFU.

Oh and as for Coquitlam, I'm around como lake and the connection at home is consistently 5 bars. Same story for my basement. Coquitlam center is a consistent 4-5 bars except sport chek, and I haven't gone east of the bridge there yet.

Overall, signal strength is pretty good, it's kept up with my Rogers BB for the most part

except when at school, underground lots, around big buildings or at the back of stores that we'll probably only go to once a month.

Again, this was done with a Huawei U2810, a cheap $50 phone. No idea what it's like with an S3 / Note / HTC / Wind Blackberry.
Results may be different if you have a superior wind phone which I guarentee you'll have.

Not ready to jump ship yet since 25% of my calls were either fuzzy or spotty and I haven't tested the phone in all the places I frequent.
I never got a dropped call which is a good sign.

Sorry for the super long post and probably poor grammar because I'm piss tired, but I hope this has helped some of you? Will update when I can / motivated enough to get up and go out lol.

Thanks for reading
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #581
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mps View Post
Hey guys so I have an update on my comparison between wind and rogers.
Like I said I borrowed my dads phone for a few days to see what the receptions like.
NOTE: this is on a Huawei U2801 phone. Definitely not the best but it does the job for a retired man.

So my phone is a BB9700 on Rogers just so we're clear.

I took both phones with me for 3 days and I've noticed that literally 75% of the places that I went, I was consistently getting 4-5 bars on wind while I was getting the same if not 1 or 2 bars less on my BB.

At le gf's in vancouver heights, I had 5 bars on both phones and call quality was fine.
I tested three calls and one of them was fuzzy and was somewhat hard to understand.
I had full bars on wind all the way boundary to DT.

In the PC underground parking lot, I completely lost signal on wind (wasn't too surprised) while having 2-3 bars on my BB.
When I got outside though, I still couldn't get a signal on wind. In fact I walked outside for a few minutes and the phone was still saying "connecting to network". It was only when I restarted the phone did it find a network.
Outside of PC, call quality was decent, a bit fuzzy at times but could definitely still make out what the other person was saying.

Inside PC, the wind phone had 2-3 bars and had no problems in any of the stores. My bb had 4-5 bars the whole time.
Both phones had 5 bars all along Robson, but I noticed that at the back of AE on Robson, the wind phone dropped to a single bar while my BB still held 5. But honestly... who cares lol.

Also had full bars on both phones from DT to Richmond via. Cambie / Oak bridge.
Call quality in Richmond was a bit iffy for me. Made a few calls, to my BB and my gf's BB (who's on Bell) and vice versa and found that one call was fuzzy while the other was just hard to hear because parts of the call were getting cut out.

Metro seemed to be fine; the wind phone had 3-5 bars while my BB was a bit better. The wind phone had signal pretty much everywhere except TNT.
Call quality was average at metro. I got a call from a friend who was DT and found it to be fine, with a slight bit of static noise in the middle of the convo.

I took the phone to school with me (Cap U) and found that outside the buildings, I consistently had 3 bars, however I had no connection at all in my classroom. My BB consistently held 4-5 bars.
For those that go to Cap, It was only in the classrooms, didn't check in the library or caf'.
I'm told that it's the same story at UBC, not sure about SFU.

Oh and as for Coquitlam, I'm around como lake and the connection at home is consistently 5 bars. Same story for my basement. Coquitlam center is a consistent 4-5 bars except sport chek, and I haven't gone east of the bridge there yet.

Overall, signal strength is pretty good, it's kept up with my Rogers BB for the most part

except when at school, underground lots, around big buildings or at the back of stores that we'll probably only go to once a month.

Again, this was done with a Huawei U2810, a cheap $50 phone. No idea what it's like with an S3 / Note / HTC / Wind Blackberry.
Results may be different if you have a superior wind phone which I guarentee you'll have.

Not ready to jump ship yet since 25% of my calls were either fuzzy or spotty and I haven't tested the phone in all the places I frequent.
I never got a dropped call which is a good sign.

Sorry for the super long post and probably poor grammar because I'm piss tired, but I hope this has helped some of you? Will update when I can / motivated enough to get up and go out lol.

Thanks for reading
I'd like to make a note that the reconnecting issues from the underground parking lot to ground level has more to do with your Huawei phone than WIND's network itself. Otherwise, your review is pretty spot on with info that is already known and posted. Good info, nonetheless.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #582
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Found some guy that used wind in my class at UBC and he said that usually in class he gets around 1-2 bars (he's using an lg optimus g2x). I think his classes are usually in or around Buchanan though. But another person who frequents the other side of campus (around the forestry building i think?) says that she usually has no service in her classes.

Maybe this is due to the cell tower being closer to buchanan? Since the tower is at the business building.

edit: the girl that gets no reception in class also uses an lg optimus g2x
gamzerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #583
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamzerz View Post
Found some guy that used wind in my class at UBC and he said that usually in class he gets around 1-2 bars (he's using an lg optimus g2x). I think his classes are usually in or around Buchanan though. But another person who frequents the other side of campus (around the forestry building i think?) says that she usually has no service in her classes.

Maybe this is due to the cell tower being closer to buchanan? Since the tower is at the business building.

edit: the girl that gets no reception in class also uses an lg optimus g2x
Probably, along with building density and all that jazz.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #584
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo E View Post

How are you getting these speeds? The HSPA+ towers aren't even "online" yet
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #585
HELP ME PLS!!!

I believe WIND is already HSPA+.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #586
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

That is a very fast data speed, especially from wind. By the way I did a speedtest and it chewed up 21mb data usage. Is this normal? Speed on lte rogers s3 only gave me 4.2mps. Pretty low for lte wouldn't u think
Old 10-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #587
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
That is a very fast data speed, especially from wind. By the way I did a speedtest and it chewed up 21mb data usage. Is this normal? Speed on lte rogers s3 only gave me 4.2mps. Pretty low for lte wouldn't u think
mind you this is NOT normal. i usually get 2-3 Mbps down. this one freaked me out. I have hit 8Mbps down on one other occasion.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #588

Just signed up with wind today and i noticed on my way home from UBC, the area down part of 16th all the way to dunbar there was no service and then after a while it changed to roaming.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #589
The Lone Wanderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamzerz View Post
Just signed up with wind today and i noticed on my way home from UBC, the area down part of 16th all the way to dunbar there was no service and then after a while it changed to roaming.
What phone have you got?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #590

Quote:
What phone have you got?
Got the galaxy nexus from wind. Going to return it though just got it to test reception.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #591
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

anyone's first bill $36? i'm confused.

i signed with them oct 12th and they are already asking me for a bill? i thought it was after the billing period and not paying before. it's like $31.xx + tax? anyways i'm gonna call them.
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #592
The Lone Wanderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yameen View Post

i signed with them oct 12th and they are already asking me for a bill? i thought it was after the billing period and not paying before. it's like $31.xx + tax? anyways i'm gonna call them.
Seems like a couple people have gotten this. Apparently it's first month only, not sure why. Prorated?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #593
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,311 Times in 1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yameen View Post

Quote:
Seems like a couple people have gotten this. Apparently it's first month only, not sure why. Prorated?
Graeme's right.

Its prorated. If you wanted to verify it, look at the pdf of the bill. It'll show the billing date exceeding the regular month.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #594

[/////

Last edited by -vancityguy-; 08-04-2017 at 11:27 AM.
-vancityguy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #595

You guys know anything about merging two post-paid accounts together? I wanted to put my line under my brother's account but he was busy so i just opened up a line myself. The girl working there wasn't sure if it's going to work so i was wondering if you guys have any experience with this type of stuff. Also, any thoughts on the nokia lumia 710? I don't have a wind phone yet but was thinking of waiting for newer phones to come out first so the current gen phones drop in price.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #596

//////

Last edited by -vancityguy-; 08-04-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #597
The Lone Wanderator

Call back and/or file a complaint with the CRTC. That second helps a lot.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #598

/////

Last edited by -vancityguy-; 08-04-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #599
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
if you read their facebook page, half the comments are negative and most of them talk about the customer service
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #600

//////

Last edited by -vancityguy-; 08-04-2017 at 11:23 AM.