REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 09-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #351
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulseX View Post
i got the windtab. got the nexus s which at the time was 380 or $0 on wind tab. i don't plan on leaving wind as i have nothing but positive feedback on the service so it was a winning decision for me
that is what i was thinking also. im giving up my rogers retention plan so once i sign with wind its not like i have anywhere better to go, mobilicity? no. so might as well take advantage of the discounted phone.
Advertisement
-vancityguy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #352
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by -vancityguy- View Post
that is what i was thinking also. im giving up my rogers retention plan so once i sign with wind its not like i have anywhere better to go, mobilicity? no. so might as well take advantage of the discounted phone.
the way i see it, is that it's a non-binding contract so you can opt out anytime without penalty, you just pay them back for the loan they gave you on the phone.

also time flies, i'm almost 1 year into my windtab but it felt like yesterday when i signed up for it

if mobilicity was somewhere better to go, then wind must have really fucked up along the way considering the negatives i hear about mobilicity lol.
impulseX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #353

Quote:
the way i see it, is that it's a non-binding contract so you can opt out anytime without penalty, you just pay them back for the loan they gave you on the phone.

also time flies, i'm almost 1 year into my windtab but it felt like yesterday when i signed up for it

if mobilicity was somewhere better to go, then wind must have really fucked up along the way considering the negatives i hear about mobilicity lol.
ya the windtab deal isn't too bad. my tab will only be 200 and i dont plan on leaving anyways, if i do i just pay it off and take my phone with me, no big deal.

i missed the weekend promo, anyone have an idea if they will run another weekend promo before the plan is up on the 30th?
-vancityguy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #354
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

ok the tab has me confised.

I'm thinking of porting over for the $29 plan and getting a GS3. the site says $299 on the tab?

what am i paying?

do i pay $449 up front and the balance (MSRP) goes on the tab? and after 3 yrs its wiped clean?

or do i get it for $449 on the tab only and walk out? if i leave Wind, i pay back the $449?

can i go on the tab any time? say after a few months?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #355
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
if you have the $200 tab, whatever you didnt pay off per month, you pay when you leave...

So if you payed $50 during you stay with wind then you want to leave, you pay $150..
Old 09-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #356
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

So what does windtab $299 mean than? Samsung Galaxy S III

Do I pay $299 for the GSIII up front and the remaining $400 I have to pay monthly?

Or I pay $400 up front and have $299 remaining on my tab to pay monthly
Old 09-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #357

$299 on WINDtab on $40 plan
$449 on WINDtab on $25 or $29 plan

you pay $299 for the SGS3 if you get the $40 plan.
you pay $449 for the SGS3 if you get the $25 or $29 plan.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #358

Woohoo.. WindMobile just hit 500,000 subs..
Old 09-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #359

wind should bring nokia lumia 920.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #360
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
I never really paid much attention to the new Nokias..but the 920 has some pretty impressive features. Nokia isn't competely irrelevant yet..but they need to bring the 920 more into the public eye. People just aren't aware of it as a real option and alternative to the iPhone, S3, One, etc.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #361

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwy View Post
I never really paid much attention to the new Nokias..but the 920 has some pretty impressive features. Nokia isn't competely irrelevant yet..but they need to bring the 920 more into the public eye. People just aren't aware of it as a real option and alternative to the iPhone, S3, One, etc.
Agree! I pretty much havn't paid much attention to Nokias since pre 2000's when they had the latest cool phones. From 2000-2008, I've been either a Motorola or a LG phone user until the iphone came and blew them all out of the water! For the last 4 years, I haven't considered anything besides an iphone, but recently the S3 has my full attention with Wind mobile. What I find most amazing is that blackberries are actually getting phased out even in the business world! I seriously thought the day would never come with that company
Old 09-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #362

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
So what does windtab $299 mean than? Samsung Galaxy S III

Do I pay $299 for the GSIII up front and the remaining $400 I have to pay monthly?

Or I pay $400 up front and have $299 remaining on my tab to pay monthly

There's 3 different prices for the phone.
$649 if you buy it outright
$449 if you go on a tab with a $25 or $29 plan
$299 if you go on a tab with a $40 plan

so for example, you want to get a $29 plan.
-You can go on the tab, and pay $449 on the spot for the phone
-Wind covers the other $200, but you still technically owe that amount.
-Every monthly, 10% of your monthly bill (ie. $29 a month = $2.90) goes towards paying your tab off.
-Wind will wipe that tab clean if you have been with them for 3 years, even if say, there's another $100 left on the tab, it's taken care of.
-If you leave before the 3 years, then you pay [M=months you've been with them ($200 - ($29 x 10% x M) = Amount remaining on tab) ]

So, to sum it up,
-if you get the $25 or $29 plan, you pay $449, and owe wind $200 down the road, unless you finish up 3 years with them
-if you get the $40 plan, you pay $299 and owe wind $350 down the road, unless you finish up 3 years with them.

The tab is reduced for every statement you pay them.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #363

^^totally cleared that up, thank you.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #364
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo E View Post
^^totally cleared that up, thank you.

I wish I could bookmark posts, so that we could refer back to this one each and every time someone asks about the tab.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
$299 on WINDtab on $40 plan
$449 on WINDtab on $25 or $29 plan

you pay $299 for the SGS3 if you get the $40 plan.
you pay $449 for the SGS3 if you get the $25 or $29 plan.
So it's not too much more to just buy sIII outright if planning to get $29 plan, instead of locking in 3year by tab?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #366

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Hey guys I was planning on switching to Wind from Rogers this week but I had a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer.

1) What is the porting process like? I think Graeme said that you get a temp number and then a text.
On the site it says "we will handle the rest", so does that mean they cancel your current provider? Or do you yourself cancel it after leaving the store? Does the temp number expire or do you call in to transfer to the original number.

2) With the tab thing, Impulse said that 10% of your bill goes toward paying off the remaining cost of the phone.
Is that 10% part of your monthly bill? Or 10% of the bill (lets say I get the $25 plan, so $2.50) get's added on top of the $25 plan + tax.

3) What is WindHome / WindAway?
is it as simple as
Home = local
and
Away = long distance?

Last but not least...Can anyone vouch for the connection in Coq around the Mariner / Como Lake area?

Many thanks ahead of time!
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
So it's not too much more to just buy sIII outright if planning to get $29 plan, instead of locking in 3year by tab?
if you intend to stay with them for a more long-term, i dont see why not. the longer you stay with them, the less you owe on the phone. thats how i see it anyway.

its like a contract, but at the same time, you're free to leave anytime without any penalties (cancellation fees like the big 3)
you only have to pay back what the remaining balance is for the phone.
SO, if you get a tab, and you're on a $25 plan (because the math is gonna be easier without a calculator) and you stay with them for 6 months.

10% of your bill will be a credit of $2.50 a month.
at 6 months, works out to be $15
On the wind tab, you got the phone for $449, and wind covered the $200, thus equalling the price of the phone of $649

of that $200 that wind covered, by being with them for 6 months, you effectively paid off $15 of that tab, just by using their services. So if you leave, you simply pay $185 because thats the remainder of your TAB.

so, in my opinion, i don't see why you wouldn't want to be on the tab. Unless there was some hidden condition that I totally overlooked, you save a few dollars going on the tab.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonestock View Post
Hey guys I was planning on switching to Wind from Rogers this week but I had a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer.

1) What is the porting process like? I think Graeme said that you get a temp number and then a text.
On the site it says "we will handle the rest", so does that mean they cancel your current provider? Or do you yourself cancel it after leaving the store? Does the temp number expire or do you call in to transfer to the original number.

2) With the tab thing, Impulse said that 10% of your bill goes toward paying off the remaining cost of the phone.
Is that 10% part of your monthly bill? Or 10% of the bill (lets say I get the $25 plan, so $2.50) get's added on top of the $25 plan + tax.

3) What is WindHome / WindAway?
is it as simple as
Home = local
and
Away = long distance?

Last but not least...Can anyone vouch for the connection in Coq around the Mariner / Como Lake area?

Many thanks ahead of time!
I'll be honest, i'm not 100% familiar with all of your questions, but I'll try my best here.

1.) From what I understand, Wind will take care of the porting of the number. So when you're signing up, make sure the account holder of the Rogers account is present, as they must sign a form to give Wind permission to port that number over.

Obviously you won't get to use your existing number right away on wind, as they need to do the porting process, so that's where I assume you'll have a temporary number so that you're able to use your Wind services (calling, texting, data)
When the number is all ported, they'll let you know?
I wasn't able to port my number because my mom (account holder of fido) was not able to be present to sign any documents (I moved from Edmonton)

You should definitely ask a Wind rep just so they can clarify the process on if you need to do anything on your end (ie. inform rogers that you will be cancelling their services)

2.) Wind tab:
How this works, is it's calculated based on your services.
For example, if you get the $25 plan, and you get a caller id add-on. (for this example i'll say it's $5 even though i believe it's $8)
Your monthly bill is now at $30 + Tax. The tab is calculated based on the $30, and not $30+tax.
If you use additional services though (ie. roaming texting, long distance calls that aren't part of your plan) then the charges for those are included in the 10%
So if your monthly bill is $30 (plan + call ID) and you spend.... $5 more from extras (texted a lot outside of wind zone, or made some calls that were not covered)
The 10% is now based off of the $35 that you're spending on your monthly bill.

I'm reading over your question and I feel like you're confusing this TAB part, so I'll make this clear, and I don't mean to sound like a dick, but the 10% is a CREDIT that pays off the TAB. It doesn't go towards your monthly bill. It goes towards paying off that $200 TAB which allowed you to get the s3 for $449 instead of $649 on the date of purchase

3.) Because they were the new guys into the market, their coverage isn't as crazy as rogers/telus/bell/fido/virgin/koodo. When they entered the market, they entered with a different frequency band, which is why some people complain about dropped calls and such, as it's not as strong of a frequency. This is also why you have to be careful of which phone you purchase to use for wind (ie. Wind Galaxy s3 is different from a Roger's Galaxy s3, simply because of the frequency it works with)

Because of this, Wind's "Home" zone, is where you are connected and anything stated in your plan (ie. unlimited calling/text/data) is truly unlimited in this area.

An "Away" zone, is similar to you travelling to a different city using Fido.
What this means is, you still have reception, people can still reach you, and you can reach people. Calling, texting, and data still work EXCEPT, you will be paying for each use.

Think of it this way with Rogers being your provider.
-You have a Vancouver based number. (604 or 778)
-If you head to say, Victoria, you're no longer in your "Home" coverage area correct?
-At this point, most people usually don't make calls/answer calls unless it's an emergency, or don't have long drawn out conversations because calls are treated like long distance calls.

That is essentially, what an "Away" zone is. You're away from your home coverage so you'll have to "pay as you go"

The difference I'll point out between Rogers and Wind when you're AWAY is this:

-Rogers you can still text, and use your data but call's will be charged at a long distance rate
(and i'm not positive on this, but you can call local numbers, and it'll use your regular airtime. so if you're in Victoria, you can call people in Victoria and it'll use your regular minutes, but you will get charged if you answer any call. Don't quote me on this as some people say it doesn't work for them. It worked for me on Fido, Fido=Rogers essentially)

-Wind you have to pay to for calls/texts/data when you're in an away zone.

As for the area in question, I'm not around there all that much, but I will say that I went to Buntzen lake over the summer, and had reception up until a certain point leading into the lake itself. Also was around Percy Page (i think that was it) park? stadium? And had no problems with the reception either.

Their website has a general outline of what's "home" and what's "away", but you can also ask a rep about certain areas, and they can look up where the towers are located and give you an idea of what kind of reception you'll be receiving. That's what I did before i signed up.
*note: you have a 15 day/30 talk time minute grace period to try wind. if you don't like it, or it doesn't work for you, you can refund, no questions asked. you only pay for whatever you use
(ie. tried the $29 plan for 5 days, and just didn't work for you. 5/31 x $29 = $whatyoupay)
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2012, 05:08 AM   #369

The Tab system is only GOOD if you stay with the carrier and not planning on switching phones when they come out... otherwise the current tab, you HAVE to pay off before getting a new tab..

so unless you buy the new phone outright or pay off the tab, you cant get a tab on a newer phone when it comes out....

If you like to change phones every 6month/1year then its prolly not worth it..
Old 09-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #370

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Quote:

3.)This is also why you have to be careful of which phone you purchase to use for wind (ie. Wind Galaxy s3 is different from a Roger's Galaxy s3, simply because of the frequency it works with)

Hey I really appreciate your response it definitely helped me out.
Besides the fact that I wouldn't be able to sell the S3 to a non-wind user, would you say that the S3 doesn't work very well on the wind network?

Or is this a stupid question lol...now that I think about it
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #371
HELP ME PLS!!!

The S3 WIND version works fine on the network.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonestock View Post
Hey I really appreciate your response it definitely helped me out.
Besides the fact that I wouldn't be able to sell the S3 to a non-wind user, would you say that the S3 doesn't work very well on the wind network?

Or is this a stupid question lol...now that I think about it
the wind version (AWS) is designed to work on wind's 3g network. you CAN sell it to non-wind users. and they can use it, BUT, the most they can use, in terms of data, is edge (2g)

that being said, to answer your question.

yes you can sell it, but nobody would want to buy it (unless they buy for parts or something)
and yes, it will work well on wind's network.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #373

any port in promos coming up?
Old 09-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #374
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
the wind version (AWS) is designed to work on wind's 3g network. you CAN sell it to non-wind users. and they can use it, BUT, the most they can use, in terms of data, is edge (2g)

that being said, to answer your question.

yes you can sell it, but nobody would want to buy it (unless they buy for parts or something)
and yes, it will work well on wind's network.
Would I be able to use a rogers version of samsung gs3 on winds line?
wyuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyuzz View Post
Would I be able to use a rogers version of samsung gs3 on winds line?
nope