REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #101
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
geeknerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,146
Thanked 446 Times in 189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
I tried working out while high once, laziest workout ever, not even worth going. Worked out while drunk once, never again. Thought I was superman and could've hurt myself lifting way too much.
Advertisement
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #102
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
You'll notice there's a lot of "somebodies" that agree with my facts, and "some" people who are being hypocrites while not posting one factual piece of information.


If that's what you got out of it, no wonder its annoying. You might as well not read if you lack the ability to understand.
Shit man, what facts do you want? They don't exist. You can pull out all the "I did when I was young, and I'm fine"'s that you want.

I don't care. I'll pull some "I got started when I was 12, and now I'm in rehab" 's out of my ass and we'll have a go. Wouldn't have ended up in rehab if they weren't sneaking around you'll say? Semantics.

Do what you want with your kids, within societal confines, which disagree with you as pot is illegal, whether you like it or not, and the drinking age is 19, whether you like it or not.

I'm saying its not your option to make that decision on behalf of my children. So if a bunch of you more socially liberal parents want to get together and let your kids drink in the rec room-go nuts! If you think that's best for your kids as they are in a safe environment-great on you. You are operating against the law, and against society's beliefs, so you are taking some real risk upon yourselves.

My kid shows up, and my kid has some parentally approved beer and weed in your rec room, its your head I'm going for, because you have just undermined everything I believe in and everything I have been doing since birth for those kids.

So what's your argument? What facts do you want? I, and people like me are being unreasonable? That's not a fact. I don't understand the issue? That's just fucking offensive. It's that offense that drives these threads to the point of "I, Taylor 001 through 192 is fucking right, and you people are fucking retarded for not agreeing with me" Couldn't get the 193rd on board?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #103
I have named my kids VIC and VLS
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 33,152
Thanked 12,119 Times in 4,582 Posts
^ If that's how you think the world works then you better lock your kid up in the basement and hold his hand to school everyday until he turns 19..
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #104
Big Drama Show
 
spideyv2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,715
Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
A lot of posts in here are being blown out of proportion. Both sides bring up valid points.
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #105
I am grateful grapefruit
 
gars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,094
Thanked 831 Times in 392 Posts
Being a child - a kid won't understand the concept of consequences. If you allow them to do drugs at home, why shouldn't they do drugs at school? I know tons of kids who were kicked out of my high school for smoking pot - as well as kids who were kicked off of school sports teams, and youth organizations such as Cadets.

It's different when you're an adult and making decisions for yourself - but when a parent downplay drugs and alcohol to kids - especially when they're at that stage of their life where there can be big repercussions, I think they aren't doing their job properly.
__________________
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #106
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: bedroom
Posts: 3,112
Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
^well said!
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #107
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
Being a child - a kid won't understand the concept of consequences. If you allow them to do drugs at home, why shouldn't they do drugs at school?
Children don't understand consequences, teenagers do if you teach them. You'd know this if you were a teach or knew a teacher.

Now you've already tried to cut me off by saying:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
I know tons of kids who were kicked out of my high school for smoking pot
Define "tons". I bet its more like a "few" which is the exception cause there's always going to be idiots that never learn - for example there's lots in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
It's different when you're an adult and making decisions for yourself - but when a parent downplay drugs and alcohol to kids - especially when they're at that stage of their life where there can be big repercussions, I think they aren't doing their job properly.
You're making a big assisine assumption - that by supervising these activities they are promoting them. It is the exact opposite, they should be taught when and where it is appropriate, not just given free reign to get drunk in the basement and not learn shit.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #108
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Shit man, what facts do you want? They don't exist.
Of course they do, not my fault you're not intelligent enough to find them.

My GF teaches sex ed, she has tons of research material on teaching kids about safe sex vs the typical abstinence crap taught in American schools. Guess what? it works as countries that teach safe sex have lower teenager pregnancy and STI rates vs those that teach abstinence or nothing at all.

The exact same applies to alcohol and drugs. You can teach them safety, or you can pull the wool over your eyes and think they won't do anything wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Do what you want with your kids, within societal confines, which disagree with you as pot is illegal, whether you like it or not, and the drinking age is 19, whether you like it or not.
Drinking age on private property is not enforced, yet you'd know this since you're quoting the "law".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I'm saying its not your option to make that decision on behalf of my children.
For drugs and alcohol, you are correct, make your own foolish decisions.

For sex, you'll be surprised. That decision was made by people smarter than you, sex education is part of the BC curriculum starting in elementary school despite the protests of idiot parents that don't want it taught at all. Unfortunately, idiot parents can ask their kids be pulled from these classes cause they'd rather teach abstinence or any other stupidity which does not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
So if a bunch of you more socially liberal parents want to get together and let your kids drink in the rec room-go nuts! If you think that's best for your kids as they are in a safe environment-great on you. You are operating against the law, and against society's beliefs, so you are taking some real risk upon yourselves.
As I pointed out, the drinking age argument doesn't apply on private property. Nice rant, pointless though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
My kid shows up, and my kid has some parentally approved beer and weed in your rec room, its your head I'm going for, because you have just undermined everything I believe in and everything I have been doing since birth for those kids.
A responsible parent will ensure the other parents know.

Aside from that, you don't even have kids and are acting like a crazed whacko who "owns" their children. God help your kids, and I don't believe in god, so they're fucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
So what's your argument? What facts do you want? I, and people like me are being unreasonable? That's not a fact. I don't understand the issue? That's just fucking offensive. It's that offense that drives these threads to the point of "I, Taylor 001 through 192 is fucking right, and you people are fucking retarded for not agreeing with me" Couldn't get the 193rd on board?
You are responsible for your own actions. If you are offended by my words, go take a chill pill and come back.

Then again, you're probably the type to teach that you're not responsible for your own actions, that someone else is always to blame for when you go off the handle. Sad, I feel sorry for you.

I've pointed you to where the facts are, now go off and do some research, you'll be better off for it, and your eventual kids will thank me.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #109
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Excelsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lala land
Posts: 2,850
Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #110
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: bedroom
Posts: 3,112
Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Attachment 9722

You must win a lot of arguments with your sex teaching gf just by the sheer fact that she doesn't want to hear your voice anymore.

I thought that was just a chick thing...

Last edited by dinosaur; 06-16-2013 at 05:59 PM.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #111
I am a Very Good Bad Boy
 
TOS'd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Parliament Hill
Posts: 9,653
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,711 Posts
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #112
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I love coming into threads where anyone that dares disagree with Taylor gets berated and bullied until everyone gets sick of it and the thread dies. Not just talking about this, but all of them.

So far in this thread, I've been referred to as not being intelligent. Nice. poor Dinosaur an "uneducated cunt" , which has the added bonus of being just a wee sexist. Nice x 2 and countless others have been referred to being on a level subpar to Taylor's.

You know how on every street, there is that one kid that when he comes out to play, everyone else just tends to go home? That kid is Taylor, and its Revscene Street every day after school.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #113
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Excelsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lala land
Posts: 2,850
Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
LOL

nah maybe he just likes being the rebel with his own opinion..
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #114
I have named my kids VIC and VLS
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 33,152
Thanked 12,119 Times in 4,582 Posts
Gridlock, all you do is write out a a few sentences and then when Taylor breaks down each of your points you have no response.. you just focus on the points that do not involve the topic at hand..

honestly alot of people in this thread have their head in the clouds and dont seem to have a grasp on how the real world works

also in terms of strict "asian parents" thing, i'm asuming this is a chinese thing because the viet people i grew up with/was good friends with all had horrible parents who couldnt care less about what they did as long as the cops didnt show up.
__________________
Dank memes cant melt steel beams
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #115
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: bedroom
Posts: 3,112
Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
dude, why is this an "Asian" thing?!
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #116
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
Fafine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 3,471
Thanked 1,411 Times in 471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
A lot of posts in here are being blown out of proportion. Both sides bring up valid points.
the peace maker
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #117
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS
 
Manic!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Nanaimo
Posts: 14,509
Thanked 6,324 Times in 2,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Of course they do, not my fault you're not intelligent enough to find them.

My GF teaches sex ed, she has tons of research material on teaching kids about safe sex vs the typical abstinence crap taught in American schools. Guess what? it works as countries that teach safe sex have lower teenager pregnancy and STI rates vs those that teach abstinence or nothing at all.

The exact same applies to alcohol and drugs. You can teach them safety, or you can pull the wool over your eyes and think they won't do anything wrong.


Drinking age on private property is not enforced, yet you'd know this since you're quoting the "law".


For drugs and alcohol, you are correct, make your own foolish decisions.

For sex, you'll be surprised. That decision was made by people smarter than you, sex education is part of the BC curriculum starting in elementary school despite the protests of idiot parents that don't want it taught at all. Unfortunately, idiot parents can ask their kids be pulled from these classes cause they'd rather teach abstinence or any other stupidity which does not work.


As I pointed out, the drinking age argument doesn't apply on private property. Nice rant, pointless though.


A responsible parent will ensure the other parents know.

Aside from that, you don't even have kids and are acting like a crazed whacko who "owns" their children. God help your kids, and I don't believe in god, so they're fucked.


You are responsible for your own actions. If you are offended by my words, go take a chill pill and come back.

Then again, you're probably the type to teach that you're not responsible for your own actions, that someone else is always to blame for when you go off the handle. Sad, I feel sorry for you.

I've pointed you to where the facts are, now go off and do some research, you'll be better off for it, and your eventual kids will thank me.

Your girlfriend teaches sex ed but does she allow them to have sex in class or get them a hotel room since they can't get one themselves. Parents should talk to there kids about drugs and alcohol but should not provide them with it.

And underage drinking on private property is still illegal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
trumps the greatest leader of all time.
Spoiler!


I don't need an amplifier I'm already big, best on any track call me the Stig - Shizzo

Dusty Nuggets Rusty Shackleford Cuntar
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #118
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Gridlock, all you do is write out a a few sentences and then when Taylor breaks down each of your points you have no response.. you just focus on the points that do not involve the topic at hand..

honestly alot of people in this thread have their head in the clouds and dont seem to have a grasp on how the real world works

also in terms of strict "asian parents" thing, i'm asuming this is a chinese thing because the viet people i grew up with/was good friends with all had horrible parents who couldnt care less about what they did as long as the cops didnt show up.
Hey, I dig that, and I'm trying really hard to not come across as "sour grapes". Taylor, and anyone else for that matter, can disagree with me all you want. My only issue, is its really frustrating to have to wade through insults to do so. Yeah, I know, its the internet-kids can type whatever they want with their keyboards, but it pisses me off.

I also don't think I'm alone in this.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #119
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
Noir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Japan
Posts: 6,745
Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
What about porn? Kids are just going to find a way to watch them. As a parent, might as well no?

Think of all the cool points you'll get from your child as a parent. Kids in your entire block will think you're the coolest "mom/dad" in the neighborhood. What's not to like.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #120
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday
 
GabAlmighty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 5,324
Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
For drugs and alcohol, you are correct, make your own foolish decisions.

For sex, you'll be surprised. That decision was made by people smarter than you, sex education is part of the BC curriculum starting in elementary school despite the protests of idiot parents that don't want it taught at all. Unfortunately, idiot parents can ask their kids be pulled from these classes cause they'd rather teach abstinence or any other stupidity which does not work.
I must be a fool then. And I think I had one poor/pathetic 45 minute class on sex ed while at school.
__________________
'16 Ram 1500
GabAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #121
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: bedroom
Posts: 3,112
Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
In regards to legislation in BC and the claim that underage drinking is permitted on private property:

FACT (since I know you like them so much Taylor192)

" In B.C. the section reads as follows:
33 (1) A person must not

(a) sell, give or otherwise supply liquor to a minor,

(b) have liquor in his or her possession for the purpose of selling, giving
or otherwise supplying it to a minor, or

(c) in or at a place under his or her control, permit a minor to consume
liquor."
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #122
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
Noir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Japan
Posts: 6,745
Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Children don't understand consequences, teenagers do if you teach them. You'd know this if you were a teach or knew a teacher.

That's funny.

I've been a teacher, and I fucking hated kids whose parents let them do anything they want. More often than not, they're problem kids at school. Good luck trying to handle them as a student when not even their parents can/or don't reign them in themselves.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #123
I am grateful grapefruit
 
gars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,094
Thanked 831 Times in 392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Children don't understand consequences, teenagers do if you teach them. You'd know this if you were a teach or knew a teacher.
You're telling me a 13 year old understands consequences? Hell, even I know 16 and 17 year olds that don't understand consequences. They don't know what it's like to have to move out of the school they've been going to for the last 4 years. They don't know what it's like to have to leave their friends of 10 years and have to start all over. It's not the end of the world, but I'm betting things like their studies will take a hit - which may affect/delay their entrance into post secondary education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Define "tons". I bet its more like a "few" which is the exception cause there's always going to be idiots that never learn - for example there's lots in this thread.
Obviously tons is a hyperbole. If I personally knew a few thousand kids who were kicked out of schools/programs - there is a big problem here.

High School was a long time ago for me - but I remember a good 10 kids getting kicked out for drugs and alcohol - either getting high before going to class or during school events. I went through the Army Cadet program - and I had some 5 kids (out of my corps of 30) get kicked out for smoking marijuana.
__________________
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #124
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Excelsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lala land
Posts: 2,850
Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Dlo... why so mad ?
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #125
I am grateful grapefruit
 
gars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,094
Thanked 831 Times in 392 Posts
Anyway, back on topic here - I personally believe there aren't "facts" you can bring up to contribute to this discussion. This is a debate about parenting styles. Noone is going to find a study to prove that one way is better than the other.

Personally I believe that parents should be open to their kids and teach them about dangers of drinking and doing drugs (even Weed has many short term effects, which include short term memory loss, etc. Long term hasn't been studied hard enough). But to go so far to let them do it at home "supervised"? I wouldn't.

And I definitely wouldn't allow other kids into my home to drink and smoke weed. If I found out another parent was supplying my kid with weed/alcohol, I would go over and kick their ass.
__________________
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net