REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #251
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
And please...give me these "facts" again...the only thing I have read is your random misinformation that you have gathered from your gf teaching manuals meant for 9th graders....but then again, that would appeal to you seeing as you have the intellect of a 15 years old.

/thread.
LOL discounting teaching material, how low can you get.

You are stupid, and that's not sarcasm this time. Perhaps you believe in baby jesus and that the world is flat too.
Advertisement
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #252
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Dude, what the fuck are you talking about?! When have I ever come across as a person who blames everyone else for my problems....and since you think you know so much about me, what are my problems?! What do I need to blame other for?

I'd like to know who you blame for being a self-righteous prick who has nothing better to do than troll these fucking threads spread your word like it it fucking gospel.
I quote facts, you don't. Facts trump opinion, so I understand why you're constantly upset at my posts, cause they make you feel interior with nothing to rebut. Not my fault, educate yourself and don't discount proven material just cause you want to keep your blinders on.

Like I said, insult me all you want, it only shows that the shoe fits, cause you cannot attack my facts.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #253
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Answer my question.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #254
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
I don't believe that logic works when you are the parent and the people you're giving alcohol to are minors. You're the person with authority in this relationship and you're basically the one deciding this child should drink alcohol.

I'm not talking about kids in college, 17/18 years old, but in an environment where they interact with many people a few years older than them - I personally believe that if someone is old enough to vote, they're old enough to drink. Same with the military - if you're old enough to serve your country (16 with parental permission), you should be old enough to drink.
Fair enough. If you're thinking 16yo is a good age, I agree - with shades of grey cause some 16yos are dumbasses and some 13yos very mature.

Yet please remember, its not about "giving" alcohol to minors, its about the minors indicating they want to try it and supporting them in that decision cause you know at this point they are going to try it, and you do not want them to try it in an unsafe, uncontrolled, unsupervised location.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #255
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Answer my question.
That's a red herring, cause you cannot tell me he hasn't been drinking or smoking before cause you'd have your head so far up your ass with your strict rules.

If he indicates he wants to try it, then it is his choice, since he's a "good" kid right?
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #256
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
That's a red herring, cause you cannot tell me he hasn't been drinking or smoking before cause you'd have your head so far up your ass with your strict rules.

If he indicates he wants to try it, then it is his choice, since he's a "good" kid right?
Nope.

Answer the question. No more semantics. No more random scenarios. Real kid. He exists. Assume what you want. That's part of the fun. You, as a parent of one of his friends don't know any more than I do. I'm going to guess there is an 85% chance that he has not drank in a quantity worthy of discussion.

The question, Taylor, is he is in your rec room, at a party hosted in your home.

Do you supply that child with alcohol? Yes or no.
Do you supply that child with weed? Yes or no.

I, as a "parent", well my sister, but you get the point do not know that you intend to be liberal in supplying teenagers with alcohol. Go.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #257
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Lawyered.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #258
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
what if a kid ended up having alcohol poisoning at your party?
That's the whole point of parental supervision - thanks for not understanding a single thing in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
or overdosed on some shady E (as per recent events) or ended up drinking & driving and crashing/dying/killing someone?
Thanks for bringing this up, now do you know the details?

I only know what was printed, 17yo girls staking extacy at a sleepover, and they were using the pills as diet pills. Do you think their parents knew? I am going to assume no, yet I do not know.

I would not condone my GF's daughter taking hard drugs. Pot is relatively harmless, hard drugs are made of god knows what. I never took them for this reason, and I'd hope I could teach her not to for the same reasons.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #259
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Lawyered.
Thanks for proving me correct. Your problem is you're not interested in facts, studies or learning anything - you just want to win - and now by nit-picking red herrings.

Parenting isn't about winning either. I deal with a 10yo everyday, hopefully your attitude will change before you have kids. Most likely it won't, yet for the kids sake I hope it does.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #260
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Do you supply that child with alcohol? Yes or no.
Do you supply that child with weed? Yes or no.
Since you're intent on winning:

Do you know if he's had alcohol before?
Do you know if he's had weed before?
Do you know if he's interested in trying?

Wait, you'll know where your kid is at 11 o'clock.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #261
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
It's not about winning dude. Discuss it all you want. I'm just poking a huge fucking hole in your plan and your idea, because you can't answer my question.

Answer it.

"Do you know if he's had alcohol before?
Do you know if he's had weed before?
Do you know if he's interested in trying?"

Do you?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #262
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
It's not about winning dude. Discuss it all you want. I'm just poking a huge fucking hole in your plan and your idea, because you can't answer my question.

Answer it.

"Do you know if he's had alcohol before?
Do you know if he's had weed before?
Do you know if he's interested in trying?"

Do you?
I'd ask. You'd lecture.

There's no need to answer it, you'd know exactly where and what your kid is doing at 11 o'clock so your question is moot. By asking you're admitting you're violating your own parenting rules, that your kid is out somewhere doing something you don't approve of. Any answer means you failed at parenting.

Lawyered. Love that show.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #263
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
I'd ask. You'd lecture.

There's no need to answer it, you'd know exactly where and what your kid is doing at 11 o'clock so your question is moot. By asking you're admitting you're violating your own parenting rules, that your kid is out somewhere doing something you don't approve of. Any answer means you failed at parenting.

Lawyered. Love that show.
Answer the question. I know where my kid is. He's in your rec room. It's 11pm.

The question Taylor, that you refuse to answer is: do you give him beer, and do you give him weed.

You keep circling around, and you refuse to answer. Fuck it. I'll give it to you. I fucked up and he's there. Doesn't change a thing. He's there.

ANSWER THE QUESTION, OR PLEAD THE FIFTH. (yeah, we aren't americans, but it sounds cool)
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #264
I have named my kids VIC and VLS
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 33,152
Thanked 12,119 Times in 4,582 Posts
What parent fucking gives the kid the shit? No parents ever gave anything to anyone at the house parties I went to in HS everyone had their own shit

You think it's hard to find weed or booze in HS? Lol..

RS is fucking being completely populated by absolute clowns in the last couple years.
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #265
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I'm going to let you off the hook. You can't answer because of the following:

You answer yes:

Well, you just said that you are willing to override another parent. Makes you kind of an asshole( no comment). Also has you breaking the law(if not the spirit of it) and basically giving an unitiated kid a taste for booze and drugs.

So you answer no:

Well, you just negated 11 pages of arguments because when push comes to shove, you aren't actually cool with supplying kids with booze in your basement for a whole host of reasons. Namely, the chance that you could be supplying a good kid with a bad option.

So, you've chosen to circle around the issue and try to change the parameters of the test.

Everyone is bored of this thread, and its turned just stupid. I'm out. I think my point has been made, and I really had some fun in the last 2 pages and I am just not into arguing it anymore.

Until next time.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #266
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
What parent fucking gives the kid the shit? No parents ever gave anything to anyone at the house parties I went to in HS everyone had their own shit

You think it's hard to find weed or booze in HS? Lol..

RS is fucking being completely populated by absolute clowns in the last couple years.
Posted via RS Mobile
Oh for christ sake, then allow them to use their own shit with parental knowledge.

You're a bit of a dipshit yourself man.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #267
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!
 
StylinRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CELICAland
Posts: 25,181
Thanked 10,191 Times in 3,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
That's the whole point of parental supervision - thanks for not understanding a single thing in this thread.
i had you blocked until today cuz i figured this was done with

but thanks for showing you don't understand anything at all... my whole point in my messages is that a parent hosting a party isnt going to give a damn about anyone else except their own kid

+ how in the hell can you even imagine a parent being able to control an entire party....
and where the hell do they get off thinking they're allowed to supervise my kids...




Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
I would not condone my GF's daughter taking hard drugs. Pot is relatively harmless, hard drugs are made of god knows what. I never took them for this reason, and I'd hope I could teach her not to for the same reasons.
fuck you... seriously.... lol ffs
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #268
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: richmond
Posts: 2,837
Thanked 1,490 Times in 570 Posts
I taught my kid how to turn down shit not how to do it.
When she is with close family and friends now almost 16 I let her drink a little and if a friend of mine is smoking a joint she can partake but only if its in a controlled group with close family and friends present
__________________
Rise Auto Salon

11938 95a Ave Delta
I can be reached VIA text @ 778-232-1465

Oil change special $70 5 liters synthetic oil including OEM filter Fender rolling from $45 per fender
Car Audio:
Focal, Morel, Genesis, Clarion, Scosche, Escort, Compustar, GReddy, Blitz, Tomei, Motul, Endless, Defi, Cusco, Nismo + More


We specialize in:
Custom Car Audio
Race/4x4 Fabrication
Forced Induction
Engine Swaps
General Maintenance
Phil@rise is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #269
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: TOS'd
Posts: 27,048
Thanked 8,655 Times in 3,453 Posts
^
Never, EVER tell Revscene you have a 16 year old daughter.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I'm so horny right now
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Im too poor to be on RS
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #270
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Excelsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lala land
Posts: 2,850
Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post

I was a straight A+ student, 2nd highest marks in my school, played 3 sports and did all sorts of activities. I also hit a strip club for the first time when I was 15yo, and I was already drinking at least once a month at that time.
Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
LOL discounting teaching material, how low can you get.

You are stupid, and that's not sarcasm this time. Perhaps you believe in baby jesus and that the world is flat too.
Spoiler!


Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #271
Throw yo paws in da air!
 
XplicitLuder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: State of Trance
Posts: 5,118
Thanked 2,777 Times in 955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
^
Never, EVER tell Revscene you have a 16 year old daughter.
LOL he's brought her out to the mini-meets at byrne before. How's the vette doing btw Phil ? ( i think it was a vette )
__________________

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts


2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #272
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,687
Thanked 731 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I failed b/c he missed the point of this thread...parent liability.


I think that whatever you want to do with your kid is fine...not my problem and not my right to judge. But, if a parent is allowing underage kids to drink, that are not his/her own, it is their responsibility to let the other parents know. I do not think it is right for that parent to make a judgement call on your kid. Thats it...simple.
The point of this thread has gone off-topic and went soo many ways that I really dont know whats the point or objective of anymore, except that it's creating discussions and allows me to see different opinion/sides of things.


This is where I disagree with you, and I guess we can agree to disagree.

But IT IS NOT THAT SIMPLE.

There's a lot of grey areas which grid has pointed out, but I'll address my opinion on your "responsibility to let the other parents know. "

So if there's a party and say 10 of these kids are partying in my basement, should I ask them "hey, which one of you do not have your parents permission to be here?" None of them will say no, due to peer pressure. can you imagine being left out , your kid will be outcast-ed. So they will all say yes and party.


Second, if I were to call the parents of each of these kids and told them if it's okay for them to come to our party. Booze may be involved, and I cant guaranteed etc that your kid wont be drinking. The parents say no, tell the kid to come home.

Now that kid will probably think his mom is strict, and may resent her etc,
all his friends will think he/she is a party pooper etc and the kid might not be invited to future parties. No teenager wants that.
Plus, no one is forcing kids to drink at these parties. If you told your kid not to drink and they have those values instilled upon them, they may not drink. Or they may just have a couple sips. They can still attend and enjoy themselves. Many parents may be reasonable and just say donít drink too much.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #273
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,687
Thanked 731 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
you're assuming a lot there

what if a kid ended up having alcohol poisoning at your party? or overdosed on some shady E (as per recent events) or ended up drinking & driving and crashing/dying/killing someone?

what are you going to do then? "ooh not my problem, they got bad parents"

I think the main argument you and dino are making is the legal liability argument in the last few posts. We've mentioned that if an adult is nearby that they can respond to these events and respond appropriately. We've also mentioned that kids drink more responsibility when they know parents are nearby as to not do anything stupid.

In terms of legal liability, I would like to say that these parties have been happening since forever, and are still happening today.

Now there's a lot of grey in this, and it depends on certain scenarios. But no parent wants to see another kid get hurt, probability is really low (no stats to back me up) of such an event occurring too I would imagine.

Most parents know or should the other parents friends, and parents tend not to press charges against other humans that have no intention of deliberately trying to harm their child.

2nd, its very difficult to prove in the courts, with minimal penalties.

I'm not even going go into this as theres soo much this can open up and has many scenarios.

-- parents can supply limited alcohol so no one goes overboard
-- parents "supply" the alcohol by having it in the fridge, but it's implied that the kids can go drink from there, no verbal or actual "go ahead and drink son" message is relayed
-- parents are not the taste-testers, for all we know it was coke, not coke-rum.

etc etc etc
I can really go on and on forever here.

Again, parties like these have been happening for ages, over time people develop ways to not get in trouble.


I know Iíve typed a lot here, but one more thing I like to mention.

Most of the people I know that allow kids to drink/party in their home are good people with good intentions. They donít want their kids to grow up an addict or are saying getting drunk is okay. They understand what its like to be young and wish to reduce the risk for their kids, this also develops a better rapport/relationship with their kids as well, and to learn about their friends etc.

Itís like what they said in that book Freakonomics, Parents that buy lots of parenting books tend to be good parents, but is it really because they bought those books? Or is it the fact that they CARED enough about their kids and about being a good parent that they bought books on parenting that causes them to be great parents.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #274
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,687
Thanked 731 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I think page 10 is the most annoying yet.

You guys are looking at black and white. OK...there is a huge difference for me, between a kid that is 12-16 and one that is 16-19 first of all. So maybe we should be specifying, because I'm looking at ages 12-16. Obviously, I'm not going to come down on a kid a day before its 19th birthday because you are 24 hours away from being legal. At which point, an 18-19 year old hanging in a safe place having a bit to drink is a vastly different scenario than my 13 year old.

Would you all agree to that?
There's a lot of grey here, definitely. It's all a matter of opinion really and depends on many factors. Personally, I'ld say 11-14 etc is not appropriate, and 17-18 I definitely give more lee-way. 15-16 is borderline for me. However, all these ages I still think it depends on the kids too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post




So he's in your rec room. Going to hand him a beer? How about a joint?
I can only answer this for myself. and based on the limited description you mentioned, I wouldn't. One, he's not my kid, it depends how close he is of a friend to my son. If I know him really well, I would probably ask him, have you tried drinking before etc. and if not, I wouldn't want to be the first person to introduce it to him, but whose to know for certain he hasnt tried it before. If he says he's had a sample before, then it's a different story.
But the answer is it depends, I agree, it's not black or white.


Off- topic here, but I want to add that north american kids these days are way too sheltered in my opinion. 20-40 years ago this wouldn't even be an issue. Kids would have been working when they were 12 to pay for their own shiet. They see things like blood, death, war, pain etc and are not as sensitive. Their uncles, relatives etc, would offer them a sample of drinks, and they would either say no or yes.

Even today, teenagers in Europe, south america and asia, they start drinking when they reach that 16-17 age etc.
I guess it's a culture thing here.

anyways- I understand the need to be politically correct, but just my opinion, and for lack of a better term, kids these days seem to be "pussies". most teenagers dont know how to do regular house maintenance or change a flat tire.

Most of my friends and I would be pretty ashamed if our son couldn't handle ONE bloody drink by the time they reach 18.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #275
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
+ how in the hell can you even imagine a parent being able to control an entire party
Put me back on block, if you ever did in the first place.

A handful of Fraternity brothers can handle a 500 person keg party.
A few bouncers and wait staff can handle a 1000 capacity club.
A couple parents can handle a few kids.

Give me a break, you took me off block to give that faulty logic.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net