REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #201
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
NOOOOooooo! I think he secretly loves it
I'm special! Not in a short bus way.
Advertisement
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #202
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,763 Posts
So my wife went to Little Flower Academy. For those that don't know, it's an upsnoot all girls catholic school.

For the After-Grad party, the parents of the grad students organized it at one of the frat-houses on UBC. The week leading to grad, students were allowed to bring in alcohol that they planned to drink during the after-grad. The type of alcohol didn't matter, it could be anything from coolers to 151.

The students were given drink punchcards, they were allowed four drink punches per person over the course of the evening (Dates were also given four punches).

The night was great, no one got out of line and everyone had a good time. There were a few pukers in the night but there were parents were on puke patrol with the mop & bucket ready.

In contrast my after-grad was organized by some students in some dingy shithole on horseshoe way in Richmond (near no5 & steveston highway). It was pretty much just a low brow booze up, with no other entertainment. There were fights, the fucking "security detail" was headed by Ben Blenis, the guy who ran an asian guy over in a stolen car on Garden City a few years ago. It was a true shit show, and I had no fun.

I WISH that our parents had organized something like what my wife's parents did.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #203
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Where in the fuck does "Quebec parents" have anything to do with that? My ex gf's mom would let me sleep over all the time in high school whereas my parents wouldn't. I know lots of parents who would and would not allow that to happen during high school years.
Its just more common there than most provinces. Feel free to get your panties in a bunch though.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #204
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Jus sayin'
Partner is a common term for adults, BF/GF gets old after awhile. I call my GF my partner, yet use the term GF here cause I know many members have a juvenile mentality - thank you for proving me correct.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #205
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
WTF! I got my fail button taken away because of this thread??!!? Alpha was saying A LOT of dumb shit, he deserved every one of my fails

I'm 22 years old, so i'm pretty sure I have a better grasp on "youth" than most of the old timers on here. It's been said sooooo many times already, but kids will drink no matter what the parents say, it's inevitable. It's like all the anti-smoking ads that actually increased the amount of youth smoking. Think of the Adam and Eve story with the "forbidden fruit", they could have any fruit they wanted, but the fact they were told not to eat the special fruit made them want it even more. Ever hear of something called reverse psychology???...kid's will drink no matter what, whether it be in a park, behind school, etc. The upside of it being parent approved is that it stops the kids from driving home, stops randoms from showing up at party's (which usually ends up in a fight/things being stolen), keeps the kids from getting completely out of control because they know somebody's parents are upstairs.

I was at some huge festivals in Italy and I say tons of bartenders serving 15-16 year old kids. It's pretty normal in Europe, why is it in North America that everybody tries to shelter their kids so much. I also spent my life in private religious schools, lets just say, the kids that were most sheltered and innocent growing up seriously fucked their lives up after high school, i'm talking SERIOUS coke/e/alcohol problems. You can only shelter kids for so long, because they're eventually going to enter the "real world" and it's going to overwhelm them.

/rant
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #206
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Where in the fuck does "Quebec parents" have anything to do with that? My ex gf's mom would let me sleep over all the time in high school whereas my parents wouldn't. I know lots of parents who would and would not allow that to happen during high school years.
Taylor read that in a study. He always has facts to back it up. Don't argue with him over this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
So my wife went to Little Flower Academy. For those that don't know, it's an upsnoot all girls catholic school.

For the After-Grad party, the parents of the grad students organized it at one of the frat-houses on UBC. The week leading to grad, students were allowed to bring in alcohol that they planned to drink during the after-grad. The type of alcohol didn't matter, it could be anything from coolers to 151.

The students were given drink punchcards, they were allowed four drink punches per person over the course of the evening (Dates were also given four punches).

The night was great, no one got out of line and everyone had a good time. There were a few pukers in the night but there were parents were on puke patrol with the mop & bucket ready.

In contrast my after-grad was organized by some students in some dingy shithole on horseshoe way in Richmond (near no5 & steveston highway). It was pretty much just a low brow booze up, with no other entertainment. There were fights, the fucking "security detail" was headed by Ben Blenis, the guy who ran an asian guy over in a stolen car on Garden City a few years ago. It was a true shit show, and I had no fun.

I WISH that our parents had organized something like what my wife's parents did.
I went to PW - and didn't have a school-organized Prom. Instead, our parents helped organize it. They didn't go as far as allow us to bring alcohol in, but people drank before hand and weren't turned away at the door if they showed up drunk...

The best part about the night was the taxi service they helped organize. Very much like the one that an awesome member on RS organized - our parents had a taxi service where you could call a number - and they would pick you up, and drive you to a destination of your choice - no questions asked.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #207
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for sharing.

The father of one of my HS friends was a lawyer, and had lots of police contacts and a huge field behind their house (I grew up in rural Ontario). They'd throw huge field parties which 100s of kids would come out to. How they managed it was awesome.

Once you drove on the property and parked, you gave up your keys. The only way to get them back was to blow a pass on a borrowed breathalyzer, otherwise you're stuck for the night, good luck sleeping in your car (or more likely in the field). For anyone thinking they'd bring a second set of keys, the property was gated and locked.

The parties never got too out of control, cause you knew the parents would do a round every now-and-then, as well as a few police cruisers would randomly stop by during the night to say hello.

This was so much better than the other random unsupervised parties that got way out of control, and the few HS acquaintances we lost due to drinking and driving home from those parties.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #208
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
The best part about the night was the taxi service they helped organize. Very much like the one that an awesome member on RS organized - our parents had a taxi service where you could call a number - and they would pick you up, and drive you to a destination of your choice - no questions asked.
Except when the taxi brings Gridlock and dinosaur's kid home drunk there'll be lots of questions to be answered the next day as they raise hell for violating how they want to raise their children.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #209
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Quote:
[18-01, 12:08] dinosaur i fucking googled taylor192...that bitch is all over the internet with the same bs
[18-01, 12:09] dinosaur lol
[18-01, 12:09] dinosaur seriously...google that shit

Quote:
taylor192
Just wanted to make an observation. Taylor192, you sure have a lot of energy. I don't know how you're able to come here and argue with 10 people at once, every single week, every single month. I don't agree with many of your points, but damn... you sure have a lot of will and energy. It's actually becoming quite entertaining. It's like you have a show on here. Taylor192 vs. everyone else. You get beat up constantly, but keep coming back!

If I ever needed to run for office, you're the kinda guy I need to help me spread the word. You are one tireless mofo (not meant in a derogatory way), if I may say so.
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #210
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:

Parents from a local high school would rent a place for a grad party and provide buses for transport. This party was after there school grad party. The police would setup a roadblock, enter the buses and confiscate all the alcohol. Parents were pissed but the police were doing there job. Made the front page of the paper a few times.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #211
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha v2 View Post
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH
That's from BCSB, one of 2 sites I'm banned from. When I call people stupid here I'm being sarcastic, that site is seriously filled with stupid people. I've met some and they were great, yet mostly that site is for people who don't see the value in helmets cause they have little to protect.

I have 2 monitors at work, and downtime while compiling or running tests. You'll also notice my posts are quick, I don't spend nearly as much time on them as people think.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #212

Quote:

I went to PW - and didn't have a school-organized Prom. Instead, our parents helped organize it. They didn't go as far as allow us to bring alcohol in, but people drank before hand and weren't turned away at the door if they showed up drunk...

I believe the thought was that if they allowed some alcohol over the course of an evening in a controlled manner, the students were less likely to go nuts with the pre-drinking. It was also scheduled directly after the Dinner/Dance, not giving them much time to pre-drink either.

Also they had a policy that if you left the party, you were not allowed back in.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 01-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Parents from a local high school would rent a place for a grad party and provide buses for transport. This party was after there school grad party. The police would setup a roadblock, enter the buses and confiscate all the alcohol. Parents were pissed but the police were doing there job. Made the front page of the paper a few times.

Cracking Down - YouTube
Sucks to be them. In my wife's case it was the adults who controlled and transported the alcohol to the party. There would have been nothing to confiscate from the students.

I respect the police for doing their job and upholding the law. I don't exactly respect the law they are upholding.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #214
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Sucks to be them. In my wife's case it was the adults who controlled and transported the alcohol to the party. There would have been nothing to confiscate from the students.

I respect the police for doing their job and upholding the law. I don't exactly respect the law they are upholding.
Serving alcohol to minors is illegal. The police could and probable would have shut it down if they knew about it.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #215
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:

Except in your wife's case - the police could very well just fine the parents for providing alcohol to the students.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #216

I was not arguing the legality of the event.

Point = completely missed.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 01-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #217
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Serving alcohol to minors is illegal. The police could and probable would have shut it down if they knew about it.
My Fraternity threw numerous keg parties and not once did the police break it up over underage drinking, and trust me I dealt with the police many times.

As long as its controlled and supervised, the police turn a blind eye - cause as I said these laws are meant to protect child in danger, and they aren't in any danger at a controlled and supervised event.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #218
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Except in your wife's case - the police could very well just fine the parents for providing alcohol to the students.
My Fraternity sold tickets to drink at keg parties in a residential house, many to underage students as most 1st year students are 17-18yo. That violates a ton of laws, which again, the police did not have an issue with as long as the party was under control and supervised.

Quoting the letter of the law is stupid unless you also quote cases where its been enforced, and statistics of how much enforcement there is.

We all know that 1 kmph over the limit is speeding, yet we all know the police do not write tickets for 1 kmph over. Use some common sense.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #219
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
trust me I dealt with the police many times.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #220
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
500+ people keg parties cause a lot of issues. Thankfully the police have a better attitude about this than a lot of people in this thread.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #221
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Except when the taxi brings Gridlock and dinosaur's kid home drunk there'll be lots of questions to be answered the next day as they raise hell for violating how they want to raise their children.
Yes. Thank you. Finally my point has been at least referenced.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #222

Quote:
500+ people keg parties cause a lot of issues. Thankfully the police have a better attitude about this than a lot of people in this thread.
There's a lot of saints in here...
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 01-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #223
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #224
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
There's a lot of saints in here...
There's also a lot of badasses in here. Fact of the matter is - this thread is really just a discussion on opinion here. We're not really just talking about the legality here or whether or not the police will actually enforce any of said laws - but whether or not parents/adults should endorse or supervise underaged drinking and drug use.

Even people on this thread who are voicing their opinions - it's all hypothetical. While some people may have had parents who were lenient with them - they themselves might not treat their children the same way.

I don't think anyone in this thread actually have Children who are in their teen years.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #225
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
Quote:

I don't think anyone in this thread actually have Children who are in their teen years.
How could you forget MG1

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: