REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #26
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
so....can you all tell who is going to be the "cool" parent when Grid and I pro-create??
Advertisement
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #27
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
so....can you all tell who is going to be the "cool" parent when Grid and I pro-create??
You say that now but things always change when you are put in that situation. It's really easy to say who the cool parent is going to be but you just never know how you will actually react since it's always easier to say the things before you have to make that decision.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

ttt

Last edited by m4k4v4li; 04-27-2016 at 11:05 PM.
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #29
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

when i was younger my friend had a party at her house whos parents were both cops and were home at the time and am sure they knew we were drinking but they just told us to put it in a cup

but then again most of us were 16 some 14 n 15
dee242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #30
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
wow just read the article and i have been there before.

my friends dad did this for us all the time. really cool guy, drives a mint ferrari dino, hot rod and has 2 family cars. he converted the living room downstairs into a lounge where we can chill and hang out. i still remember the night of afterprom last year where he gave my friend joints (only of the night of prom because of the special occasion) and after we went back to his place and drank up he drove a group of us to after prom at aubar. he picked us up and everything to ensure that everyone is safe. i thought he was a pretty cool guy. maybe because my parents would never do the same but i would feel more comfortable if i had parents like that because all through high school i had to hide everything from my parents. dont get me wrong, my dad is a pretty cool guy too but because most of the people on his side of the family died from lung cancer from smoking my dad is against smoking and drugs. i still think positively of my friends parents but i wonder if my opinion will change when im older.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #31
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
I had super strict parents growing up and as a consequence i had to hide everything from them at 13-15 partying at my house was allow but a total buzz kill with no illicit anything and everybody sent home at 11pm. hell we even get yell at if we swear. so I took the partying somewhere else, unsupervised. Did alot of crazy and fuck up shit that probably would not have taken place if i was partying at a friends place with "cool" parents but hey is part of growing up right?

Now that i'm alot older, I've open up alot to my parents, we would talk and discuss about things I never thought i would have told them in my teenage years. True be told there are still some part of my life that I would not share with my parents, but that does not mean I don't love them or respect them. Looking back I did alot of dumb shit while partying and I would certainly lose respect for my parents in my adults yrs if they approve of my dumb behaviour as a teen, on the other hand i had to have that experience on my own in order to grow up. As a teen i would think that "man my parents sucks, they don't let me do this do that or that" now I know that yea my parents were right.

I will always respect my parents for giving me rules and boundaries while at the same time being so forgiving (did not think so as a teen though, being grounded for a week ARE U FUCKING KIDDING ME) when i do go against their guidance.

but i guess that just me... i can't imagine getting drunk or blazing with my parents but I will so sit down with them and have a serious heart to heart conversation and expect honest words of wisdom and guidance from them
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #32
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
asian parents.. Not happenin
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #33

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
idiot parents...

that's all
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #34
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Interesting article:

Global News | Parent-approved partying: who is responsible when things go wrong?

Growing up, my best-friend's house was always the house we were allowed to drink (underage) and do drugs with her parents home. They were under the mentality that "you're going to do it anyways so it might as well be here".

As far as I knew, none of the other parents whose kids were there, were aware of the situation...including mine.

Looking back at it now, if I had a kid and he/she was doing that with their friend's parents approval, I would be livid!! And, I would not want the responsibility of being "those" type of parents.
So you're a hypocrite? You took advantage of "those" parents, yet don't want to be one yourself.

I plan to be one of "those" parents. Many Quebec parents are "those" parents and it works very well. I remember my teenage GF's parents putting my bag in her room, cause that's where I would be sleeping over. So much smarter than us sneaking out to do the same shit elsewhere.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #35
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
So you're a hypocrite? You took advantage of "those" parents, yet don't want to be one yourself.

I plan to be one of "those" parents. Many Quebec parents are "those" parents and it works very well. I remember my teenage GF's parents putting my bag in her room, cause that's where I would be sleeping over. So much smarter than us sneaking out to do the same shit elsewhere.
Really? You are calling me a hypocrite b/c my 13-14 year old brain could not process the ramifications that could have come from binge drinking in my friends basement some 15 or so years ago?

In retrospect, this shit we did when we were fucked at 13, I am shocked we made it out okay.

So fine, go ahead and call me a fucking hypocrite from not wanting to supply my 13 year old daughter we bags a weed and cases of beer while I sleep upstairs just because I did it.

There is nothing you have learned in you life that has you wanting better for your kids? Say....maybe being an over-opinionated dick?
Old 01-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #36

IMO, if you haven't convinced your children to stay away from drugs, alcohol, w/e you're a bad parent and that's the end of it
Old 01-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #37
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniatic View Post
wow just read the article and i have been there before.

my friends dad did this for us all the time. really cool guy, drives a mint ferrari dino, hot rod and has 2 family cars. he converted the living room downstairs into a lounge where we can chill and hang out. i still remember the night of afterprom last year where he gave my friend joints (only of the night of prom because of the special occasion) and after we went back to his place and drank up he drove a group of us to after prom at aubar. he picked us up and everything to ensure that everyone is safe. i thought he was a pretty cool guy. maybe because my parents would never do the same but i would feel more comfortable if i had parents like that because all through high school i had to hide everything from my parents. dont get me wrong, my dad is a pretty cool guy too but because most of the people on his side of the family died from lung cancer from smoking my dad is against smoking and drugs. i still think positively of my friends parents but i wonder if my opinion will change when im older.
And have we noticed a trend? All the "cool" parents providing booze and weed are all taking it from their personal stash of....oh yeah, their booze and weed.

So of course its no big deal as they do it themselves. Now, alcohol isn't such a big deal, but I'm talking the bigger drinkers, not the casual merlot with dinner.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #38
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha v2 View Post
IMO, if you haven't convinced your children to stay away from drugs, alcohol, w/e you're a bad parent and that's the end of it
theres too many factors to be put into to blame for a parent for their kid's usage of drugs/liqour, they may be at partial fault, but its not all theirs
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #39

why not?

A parent gives advice, a parent motivates his children, a parent is a friend, a parent teaches his children to having a better mind

Yes there's peer pressure, doesn't mean you have to do it

and you could always go workout and get big
Old 01-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #40
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheDLo View Post
theres too many factors to be put into to blame for a parent for their kid's usage of drugs/liqour, they may be at partial fault, but its not all theirs
Simple...its 11 o'clock, do you know where your kids are?

I haven't raised a teenager, so maybe I'm out to lunch, but I don't think its too much to know where you are going to be, who you are going to be with and when you are coming home.

So many people want to be friends with their damned kids.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #41
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Really? You are calling me a hypocrite b/c my 13-14 year old brain could not process the ramifications that could have come from binge drinking in my friends basement some 15 or so years ago?

In retrospect, this shit we did when we were fucked at 13, I am shocked we made it out okay.

So fine, go ahead and call me a fucking hypocrite from not wanting to supply my 13 year old daughter we bags a weed and cases of beer while I sleep upstairs just because I did it.

There is nothing you have learned in you life that has you wanting better for your kids? Say....maybe being an over-opinionated dick?
Or an uneducated cunt?

Teens are going to do it one way or another (as you know, having admitted to doing exactly that), its better they do it in a loving supervised supportive environment where they can learn about it than risk getting caught in public and dragged home by the police or worse.

It is also better they learn how to handle drugs and alcohol properly. I started drinking at 15yo, so by the time I hit unversity and was living on my own making my own decisions I was equipped with the tools to handle it properly, unlike the sheltered tools that end up wasting their first year of school making up for lost time.

You can try to prevent them from doing it, yet then you're just being a stupid helicopter parent who they will hate and rebel against eventually.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #42
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
You might as well tell them not to have sex while you're at it, let me know how that works out.

Part of growing up is trying things, and its much better if they try it in a supervised supportive environment.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #43
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Simple...its 11 o'clock, do you know where your kids are?
No. Do you know your kids are equipped with the knowledge and tools to handle where they end up at 11 o'clock? I hope yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
So many people want to be friends with their damned kids.
Fine, yet don't be their enemy. Dinosaur's parents didn't know where she was at 13yo drinking, and for good reason cause I'm guessing they'd be pissed.

Your kids have to know they can call you for help without judgement. That's not to say without punishment, that comes later. If they need help, they have to be able to get it without being yelled at, otherwise they'll never ask again - and I don't want that.

My parents handled it awesomely. They never criticized me crawling home hammered as a teenager, yet the next day my dad would put us to work, HARD work. It was awful when hung over. I remember digging fence post holes for a day, puking into the hole then filling it back in slightly to cover up the evidence... looking back I dunno why, dad obviously knew I was hung over... and we never built a fence
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #44
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Or an uneducated cunt?
I may be a cunt...but I am educated.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #45

Quote:
You might as well tell them not to have sex while you're at it, let me know how that works out.

Part of growing up is trying things, and its much better if they try it in a supervised supportive environment.
..... ?

A person who doesn't get caught up in drugs and whatnot make better decisions, so they'd know it's not about trying to get rid of your virginity or fuck all the girls you can
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #46
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
I may be a cunt...but I am educated.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #47
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
..... ?

A person who doesn't get caught up in drugs and whatnot make better decisions, so they'd know it's not about trying to get rid of your virginity or fuck all the girls you can
Yes a person that doesn't become a drug addict makes better decisions - duh - yet someone who tries it while hiding it from others is likely to make poor decisions.

At that age it is about trying to fuck all the girls you can - and hopefully they are educated enough to use proper protection and not slut shame the girls.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #48
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Quote:
..... ?

thats stupid logic lol, everyone is unique, one needs drugs to operate, fuck even me, i love my weed, i smoke weed to relax, do i make bad decisions? sure, but other people would probably make the same decisions whether or not they are influenced by drugs..
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #49

that's what separates me from you, 5 years from now where are you going to be?
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #50
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
For my parents, it was more about teaching me responsibility and common sense instead of the "DRUGS AND ALCOHOL ARE BAD AND WILL TURN YOU INTO A DECREPIT BUM" scare tactic rhetoric.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: