REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #19251
Old School RS

Thanked 3,930 Times in 1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
The funny thing is that they (HSBC) do charge less interest rate for taking on a higher ratio mortgage (for putting less than 20% down), but I guess you're just at their limit
They charge less for a higher ratio mortgage because you have to pay for CHMC insurance separately. The loan is actually much less risky for HSBC because it's insured.

They'd give you the same rate with >20% if you chose to insure your mortgage, but nobody would because it's more expensive than just paying a higher rate.

-Mark
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2021, 07:46 PM   #19252
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,157 Times in 954 Posts
https://itools-ioutils.fcac-acfc.gc....HCalc-eng.aspx

This is a bit a clunky but it gives you a reasonable idea of what banks are able to loan you based on stress test rules. If you're borrowing near your limit one thing that can really screw with your max is how much is on your credits cards. I pay off my cards every month but I run my life through it so it always looks like I'm carrying a tonne of debt and the bank just looks at the balance you have at the time you apply and they don't care if you pay it off every month.

There's two ways to deal with this:

1) Before you apply clear your CC - if you have enough cash flow this is no big deal, just pay things off a couple weeks early.
2) Have your banker enter your balances as zero. This doesn't always work as they will pick up the balances during the credit check and may ignore your zero balance.

It appears my CC balance had a pretty meaningful difference in how much I could borrow - it worked out in the end as I'm getting JUST enough on the sale of my existing house to cover the downpayment on the new place but it could have turned out a lot worse/complicated.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:49 PM   #19253
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,698 Times in 876 Posts
You do know that with cmhc you are borrowing like another $15 to 20k on top of your mortgage that you are paying interest back to them on, so of course they will give you a better rate.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-01-2021, 11:37 PM   #19254
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
https://itools-ioutils.fcac-acfc.gc....HCalc-eng.aspx

This is a bit a clunky but it gives you a reasonable idea of what banks are able to loan you based on stress test rules. If you're borrowing near your limit one thing that can really screw with your max is how much is on your credits cards. I pay off my cards every month but I run my life through it so it always looks like I'm carrying a tonne of debt and the bank just looks at the balance you have at the time you apply and they don't care if you pay it off every month.

There's two ways to deal with this:

1) Before you apply clear your CC - if you have enough cash flow this is no big deal, just pay things off a couple weeks early.
2) Have your banker enter your balances as zero. This doesn't always work as they will pick up the balances during the credit check and may ignore your zero balance.

It appears my CC balance had a pretty meaningful difference in how much I could borrow - it worked out in the end as I'm getting JUST enough on the sale of my existing house to cover the downpayment on the new place but it could have turned out a lot worse/complicated.
Did you sell first, then buy? Or the other way around?

In this market, it seems like buy first then sell would be better but I don’t think the bank will even consider it. The $100k deposit is easy but what about the rest?

Sell first, then buy is a risky but at least I know what my budget will be.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:50 AM   #19255
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post

In this market, it seems like buy first then sell would be better but I don’t think the bank will even consider it. The $100k deposit is easy but what about the rest?

It's not a question with a simple answer as everyone's situation differs.

For me, we had enough equity in our place and planned for a worst case scenario when we went to the bank. That gave us a rough idea how much we could offer which was accepted.
We did ask for a later closing date to allow our realtor time to sell and he was able to sell for above our worst case scenario so we were never up against our limits and was able to buy first and then sell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2021, 06:52 AM   #19256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post

We bought then sold (we're listed right now) as we knew we had the money for whatever outcome we had with the bank (and with however much we sell the current place for). It was a bunch of scrambling for us as we didn't expect to be buying a house so we weren't approved by the bank and our house was in no condition to sell - we spent the better part of 2 weekends decluttering it to make it attractive and our completion date for the new place is only 2 months away.

In the case of buying first then selling it's not a big deal if your existing equity can cover the required downpayment - you tell the bank that your plan is to use that existing equity to make the downpayment. You need to run some math in advance to make sure you're covered for property transfer tax and realtor commissions and then the bank will also be pretty conservative about what you can sell your place for. My bank told me they thought I'd be about $200k short for a downpayment when in reality I should be right around break even.

If your completion dates line up then it's all rainbows and unicorns. If they don't (you have to own 2 places at once) then you need a temporary bridge loan from the bank - I might need this in my case and it's a bit of a hassle but becoming more common nowadays with a hot market. The loan requires that you've got a firm offer to sell your place to someone and you have enough equity that the loan will be paid off when the sale of your place goes through.

Sell first and buy later is tricky - if you're shopping for something that's common like a 1-2 bedroom condo then it can work but I couldn't risk that - my options were pretty slim (detached house in East Van/Burnaby).
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2021, 08:04 AM   #19257
in the butt

Thanked 3,178 Times in 1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
A new company in the US that buys houses, splits them into 8 pieces, and sells them to 8 people. Each person has the house for 44 nights max 14 nights per stay. The company has already reached unicorn status and plans to expand internationally. They claim they are not a time-share company. Some people are pissed. The houses seem overpriced to me.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...o-corporations

https://www.pacaso.com/
Sounds like whistler to me, where you pay x3 just to own a week of the year.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #19258
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,355 Times in 3,445 Posts
Old 09-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #19259
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,098 Times in 4,998 Posts
the 4 C's of success

crown, coke, cactus, club
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2021, 02:16 PM   #19260
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Wow Jagmeet really went off the deep end.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #19261
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,098 Times in 4,998 Posts
^ I see what you did there
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #19262
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,355 Times in 3,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Wow Jagmeet really went off the deep end.
Are you sure it's not osama?
Old 09-02-2021, 03:59 PM   #19263
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Acura604 should hire that guy as his realtor!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2021, 06:48 PM   #19264

Thanked 1,698 Times in 876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Acura604 should hire that guy as his realtor!
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:55 PM   #19265
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
House in my parents hood just sold for “$430,000 over asking”

Old 09-03-2021, 06:34 AM   #19266

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
At least that one has almost 1/2 an acre of land, not as egregious as what some of the tear downs sitting on a lot not much larger than the size of a bus stop are going for.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:59 AM   #19267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
House in my parents hood just sold for “$430,000 over asking”
And over $1m over assessed - that's just nuts.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:21 AM   #19268
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
Where are people coming up with this kind of money?
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2021, 10:36 AM   #19269

Thanked 31,017 Times in 7,108 Posts
Mom and dad, or the massive mortgages that people can qualify for. I don’t know why people get wound up about the “strict” stress test. The amount you can borrow compared to your income is absurd.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2021, 10:41 AM   #19270
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
At least overpaying for that place you are actually getting somthing pretty substantial. A 7000 sq ft house on a half acre lot in a neighborhood where that is virtually non-existent.

My parents lot is 12,500 and Growing up I never went to a house that had a bigger property. This one is massive
Old 09-03-2021, 11:04 AM   #19271
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
yeah that area of fh has some pretty crazy houses... half acre is massive. most of fh is more typically like 6-8000sf lots.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:11 PM   #19272

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Mom and dad, or the massive mortgages that people can qualify for. I don’t know why people get wound up about the “strict” stress test. The amount you can borrow compared to your income is absurd.
To think that some people are content to basically spend their entire monthly earnings on mortgage payments. Don't get me wrong, I see the appeal of owning, but at the cost of being able to do nothing else with my life? Nah, thats "too much" ownership for me.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2021, 07:17 PM   #19273

Thanked 31,017 Times in 7,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
To think that some people are content to basically spend their entire monthly earnings on mortgage payments. Don't get me wrong, I see the appeal of owning, but at the cost of being able to do nothing else with my life? Nah, thats "too much" ownership for me.
Very with you on that.
Can having more space and your own front door really bring more happiness than eating the best food, driving the car you want, taking vacations when/where you want, having savings for some comfort, etc?
I guess for some people it does, but sounds boring.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #19274

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I think the stress test affects folks differently depending on the value of the home - in my case it reduced my borrowing power to the point where I actually laughed at how small my monthly payment was going to be. With interest rates being so low the gap between the test and reality is massive (it'd be about an 80% increase in my payments if it ever hit the stress test number of 5.25%). I do support the strict stress test as a way to slow down the market but I'm in a position where I wanted to borrow a lot more b/c the payments weren't an issue and I'd prefer to divert the funds to other uses. For me it was an annoyance as I can wanted to create more leverage for my money.

I suspect the lower income folks who are making their first foray into the market are the ones who need the test more than I would - spending an entire paycheque (or more) on a mortgage doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:56 PM   #19275
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^^^ would your payments be okay without the rental income downstairs? I think banks are pretty strict on rental suites now too.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote