REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #76
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
Manic!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Nanaimo
Posts: 10,414
Thanked 3,823 Times in 1,748 Posts
Businesses cater to there customers. If there was a large increase in English only speaking customers I guarantee you signs would change.
Advertisement
__________________
I don't need an amplifier I'm already big, best on any track call me the Stig - Shizzo

Dusty Nuggets Rusty Shackleford Cuntar
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2013, 02:19 AM   #77
(╯□)╯聽不到 ╮(□╮)
 
Tim Budong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The Womb
Posts: 16,815
Thanked 10,866 Times in 2,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
I didn't mean to say either of that, let me clarify. I was exaggerating to get my point across is that at least right now, with the stores/signs having chinese words on it and not with english, they are limiting their market to only people that speaks that language, thus, being less competitive. Once they start catering to a larger population, the debate won't be whether or not they have chinese on their signs, its whether or not these immigrants are coming here and taking all the jobs from the locals and we should all know how that debate ends up.
What you are saying is true. What also is becoming the reality is that Asian establishments will continue to thrive as long as the community supports it. I can't say for sure that immigration is slowing down or not, but as long as people give these establishments business, they will continue to operate the same way they always have.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
The common folks don't have to learn chinese or any other language for that matter, but it helps. No one is forcing u to shop or know what the sign says. There are always another alternatives. The chinese didn't come here, invent something and then advertise it in chinese so only the chinese people get to use it. You are not going to walk out of your house and know everything that goes on around you. What is this sense of self entitlement that everyone around you is obligated to write/do something that YOU understand. Those of you using the argument that THIS IS CANADA, WE SPEAK ENGLISH also don't understand what makes CANADA great. Its that we can speak whatever language we want and practice whatever culture we want without being told that we cannot and that includes LANGUAGES ON SIGNS
When major services such as Shaw have Cantonese ads and collateral for the community, and then service in the same language, people will never learn "english"

As I have said, new immigrants can live comfortably, and run a successful business at the same time because it is %100 possible to do EVERYTHING in your own language.

Someone can move here from China, purchase, finance, mortgage, setup banking all in Mandarin, because banks have material that targets them. They can then go to Shaw and be given %100 servicing in Cantonese/Mandarin. Set up hydro and gas in the same language. Go to an TelCo dealer and be service 100% in mandarin/cantonese.

This is where the major problem lies, there is no effort needed to begin a new life here for immigrants.

This problem will never end either. Can't blame the services either, as they are in the world to make money, and what better way than to target ethnic groups with customer support in their mother tongue.
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:26 AM   #78
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
EmperorIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: home
Posts: 2,695
Thanked 3,676 Times in 808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post

This is where the major problem lies, there is no effort needed to begin a new life here for immigrants.

This problem will never end either. Can't blame the services either, as they are in the world to make money, and what better way than to target ethnic groups with customer support in their mother tongue.
Absolutely, but the issue is defining it as a "PROBLEM". Its not a problem, you can function normally with your day without knowing a single word on the signs, just like how someone who does not know english can still function normally. The issue is that its ANNOYING people that don't speak the language, so they want others to change to suit their needs.

I totally sympathize that ANNOYANCE that it may cause, but you can't stop or tell people what to do because you can't adapt.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2013, 02:26 AM   #79
I am Hook'd on RS
 
THORISHERE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Thor Dropship
Posts: 59
Thanked 56 Times in 17 Posts
What's disgusting is not just that these Socialists want Big Brother to run their lives but they want Big Brother to run all our lives as well.

I am CBC and can speak Canto but I don't patron most of these stores anyway and I'm not going to start just because they put up some stupid english signs. What these Socialists/Xenophobes fail to understand is that stores like these (whether they are Chinese, East Indian or whatever) are not vying for your business, they are targeting a very specific niche. This is called CAPITALISM, but I doubt these Socialists will understand. Mandating stores to display their signs/menus/catalogues/etc. in english/french when these stores don't even cater to native english/french speakers is beyond ridiculous and wasteful. What's the point of having english banners, etc. when the workers can barely speak english and the goods they sell don't appeal to the masses anyway? Forcing entrepreneurs to adhere to a myriad of stupid rules and regulations such as these only adds to costs (re: waste) and produces nothing of tangible value.

Unless the gov't decides to ban all non-english-speaking immigrants (this would include most European immigrants LOL), there will always be communities that get converted into enclaves for said immigrants. Forcing small businesses to display english/french signs will not change the composition of the people working and shopping at these establishments in the least. All these whiners are really just closet-xenophobes pretending to be politically correct. These cultural enclaves take up what, less than 1% of the Canadian urban landscape? If you don't like them, there is still 99% remaining where you can do your thing.

Personally, I am a city/urban person and find suburbs with their characteristic McMansions, big box discount stores and giant parking lots really ugly but clearly millions of Canadians think otherwise. What I don't do is go around crying a river about it or worse, lobby the government to try to force other people to live the way I think is optimal. Instead, I understand that there are urban people and there are suburban people.

One of the defining characteristics of a free society is when disparate people (re: cultures) can live side by side without infringing on the natural rights of others.

Last edited by THORISHERE; 03-16-2013 at 06:18 AM.
THORISHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2013, 02:38 AM   #80
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,028
Thanked 17,638 Times in 5,344 Posts
99% of the signs in Hong Kong have english as well as chinese, so I don't see why they couldn't do the same in Richmond

What really pisses the HK people off is when the signs are in simplified. Those almost always get defaced
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #81
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene
 
$_$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Space
Posts: 1,919
Thanked 560 Times in 172 Posts
I see a lot of people angry on this thread and throwing out comments like "If you didn't want to learn English, don't come to Canada. Go back to China."

No, I don't think you get it. If you don't want to live in a city immersed in Chinese culture, move away from Richmond. Canada is the second largest in the WORLD, and the only place that this is happening is predominantly Richmond and parts of Vancouver. If you don't like what's happening here, there's plenty of other places you can move to that fits "your culture". The world is changing. Our city is changing. Don't try to change the whole ecosystem because you cannot adapt. It's that simple! You know what's funny? I was asking my little brother the other day how many white people he had in his high school class. He said there was one, and everyone else was Asian. IIRC the stats for Richmond is between 60-80% foreigners and the rest are white. Even ICBC lets you take your drivers test in Chinese. All pamphlets and PSAs regarding important messages are in Chinese and Punjabi.

I see all these people screaming "This is CANADA. Your living in my country. Why don't you speak my language." I think you are wrong. We are living in OUR country, in our community, and we can speak whatever language we want to speak. The majority of the people of this region decided that this is how we want our city to function and operate. I believe that is our right and we are free to do so? That's what makes Richmond and Vancouver unique. I saw punjabi/english ROAD SIGNS on Fraser Road!! Even the government has learned to adapt - why can't you?

This is what I love about Canada. Canada is about choice and freedom, and the basis of our economy have always been built on immigration.

I don't go down No.5 Road or head into Surrey and expect everyone to understand me. If I was ever going to be so upset that they didn't speak English, then I just wouldn't go there unless I wanted something specific.

I don't know where you guys go that makes you feel like "you aren't welcome in your own city". I haven't ever see a white person go into a restaurant that was ever treated any differently. If anything, the Chinese waitresses try even harder with their broken English to try to help you get what you want. Don't know what something on the menu is? ASK. You aren't socially awkward are you? People like Ulic and second/third generation Canadians that don't have fluent Chinese but still thrive in this city. I love how multicultural Richmond. I WANT to go into a Japanese restaurant where the guy cooking my food speaks broken English - that means that he probably rolls a mean sushi and cooks a good skewer. Love the place you live, and learn to live in it. Don't try to change the macro-environment to cater to your own personal selfish needs.

Last edited by $_$; 03-16-2013 at 02:52 AM.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:53 AM   #82
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
EmperorIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: home
Posts: 2,695
Thanked 3,676 Times in 808 Posts
^lol i actually don't agree with ICBC letting people take the test other then English or any other governmental test/document for that matter. That shit is serious, what if theres a sign that is in english that is telling u to don't fucking drive thru because its theres a giant hole and you taking the test in chinese don't recognize that sign and fall right in, costing us tax payer to haul ur car and corpse out of the hole.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:45 AM   #83
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: VAncouver
Posts: 930
Thanked 820 Times in 156 Posts
I don't go to richmond much and to these chinese places in richmond even less but whenever i try to speak in my grade 3 cantonese the salespeople always start speaking english to me instead. I'm curious what kind of questions you guys are asking or how you're asking them that they can't answer you?

Do you say, "No peanuts? *point to self* Allegy"
or
do you say, "I have a type 1 hypersensitivity reaction to peanuts and will go into anaphylactic shock. Is this dish accommodating to my condition?"
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2013, 03:47 AM   #84
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
Brad Fuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 811
Thanked 37 Times in 19 Posts
I am in complete agreement that if you move to Canada you should make an attempt to learn some english/french. I just want to be clear on my stance.

From a business perpective, these business with only chinese seem to be doing okay without all our business. I know I don't visit them and from the sounds of it most people here don't either. Yet they make enough money to stay open.

I think this problem will work itself out over time. As someone mentioned earlier, the influx of Asians immigrants started in the 90's. They would be are the ones running the businesses. You can see from all the CBC's here, they see the value in having english and chinese on the signs. Small businesses will either be passed down the family to a much more Canadianized owner, or it will close up shop.

Richmond just happens to be on the rise right now. Other older cultural communities thoughout the lower mainland don't have this problem to the same magnitude as they have evolved out of it or will slowly die out. Chinatown, Little Italy, the East Indian businesses along Main St and Fraser St (don't know what they call it) but they're changing.

Assimilation vs Integration
Brad Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:55 AM   #85
I am Hook'd on RS
 
THORISHERE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Thor Dropship
Posts: 59
Thanked 56 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
^lol i actually don't agree with ICBC letting people take the test other then English or any other governmental test/document for that matter. That shit is serious, what if theres a sign that is in english that is telling u to don't fucking drive thru because its theres a giant hole and you taking the test in chinese don't recognize that sign and fall right in, costing us tax payer to haul ur car and corpse out of the hole.
LOL, a "giant hole" in English is still a "giant hole" in any other language, it's just said differently. The important thing is that drivers understand and obey traffic signs and traffic rules, the language they interpret these signs/conditions/rules in their head is irrelevant.
THORISHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:00 AM   #86
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
EmperorIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: home
Posts: 2,695
Thanked 3,676 Times in 808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THORISHERE View Post
LOL, a "giant hole" in English is still a "giant hole" in any other language, it's just said differently. The important thing is that drivers understand and obey traffic signs and traffic rules, the language they interpret these signs/conditions/rules in their head is irrelevant.
If the sign says giant hole up ahead in english, how would someone that does not know english know?
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #87
I am Hook'd on RS
 
THORISHERE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Thor Dropship
Posts: 59
Thanked 56 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
If the sign says giant hole up ahead in english, how would someone that does not know english know?
There is a reason why most road signs are in pictorial form and not in written form. This is to minimize the language barrier/brain processing time and to allow as many diverse drivers to drive safely on public roads as possible.

If there is a "giant puddle"/inclimate weather condition/what have you and said driver fails to respond in an acceptable and safe manner, no sign will save him/her. There is no cure for stupidity.
THORISHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2013, 04:27 AM   #88
I STILL don't get it
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancity
Posts: 465
Thanked 526 Times in 136 Posts
This is fucking retarded.
Making a by-law that requires some form of English on signs, is not such a bad idea, I mean, if the city does it with the intentions of allowing everyone access to everything and to enforce the fact that our national language IS English, I can swallow that.
But even then, the way this specific scenario has played out is pretty retarded.
I mean, these "activists" are arguing that “This is not cultural harmony because I have no idea what these signs, advertising and the real estate papers are saying".
Is it not societal harmony then if I operate at a phd level, and you flunked out of highschool? I mean, should we force all smart people to dumb themselves down for dumb people?

But on another note, If I am a business owner, and I've never seen ONE white person, or non-chinese person in my store ever. Why the fuck should I have english on my sign? Well, you might say, you've never seen a white person in your store because the english on your sign is too vague. Well, if I buy a new sign, and I still get no white people coming in to buy shit, is the city going to pay for my sign?

Would you build a dog house if you didn't own no fucking dog or planned on owning a dog, but just cause everyone else was doing it?

May I remind everyone this country did not start off as English speaking.
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #89
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,703
Thanked 1,010 Times in 404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Would it be discrimination if I posted a sign that said,

"MindBomber's Construction - we'll blow your mind,"

and in the subtext wrote,

"All ethnic groups welcome to inquire, but business will only be conducted with members of First Nations or British ethnic groups,"

or would you be totally cool?

I could justify it, saying, I find accents too challenging.
Go right ahead with whatever you want to put on your sign. I'm not gonna walk in and whine about not being able to read the sign like your business is the only one in vancouver that I must pay for.

If you were the monopoly of the province, then I'd be concern. But then you'd have to publish/advertise in chinese anyways because majority tends to rule here.

If the province includes majority white and I didn't know english, I would fucking go learn it because who doesn't want to learn more languages? People who complain are just a bunch of arrogant fuck heads that are as lazy as those chinese owners who refuse to learn english. They are of the same level when it comes to putting effort into understanding each other. Neither side wants to cope with the other. Since that is the case, then so be it, go find/do your business elsewhere.

White/western culture tends to love to stick their nose into other people's business, I swear. It's like they want the moment of, "I stood up and said it, and I feel that a change needs to be established to serve us better".

Before you justify others of their effort and actions, first think about yourself. What you think about the other person could be exactly what you are.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #90
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
white rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Your Moms House
Posts: 3,146
Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,122 Posts
This is a great debate thread. Good points being brought up from both sides.

As a white Canadian, I do agree that new immigrants/foreigners should assimilate to "our" way of living for those English speaking peeps that have been here "forever". But I'm just not big on change, that's all. My problem, no one elses. It's no biggie though. I don't sweat it. It's not really affecting my day to day lifestyle. However, the world is changing and Canada prides itself on striving for multiculturalism so it's no surprise that this is where were at. If I'm not mistaken there are more Asian people than White people worldwide now. The Muslim religion has more followers than Christianity now. I also agree that the "White" peeps have been butt-raping other societies for the better part of 2000 years. And so on. I'd even go as far as to say that the "White" gene is a weak gene when compared to others. I'm not racist or a xenophobe or anything so I hope I don't offend anyone. Just stating that whether we like it or now, shits changing. One can choose to be bitter about it or accept it.

There will certainly be a "changing of the guard" over the next couple decades.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #91
My homepage has been set to RS
 
drunkrussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,308
Thanked 824 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
99% of the signs in Hong Kong have english as well as chinese, so I don't see why they couldn't do the same in Richmond

What really pisses the HK people off is when the signs are in simplified. Those almost always get defaced
This is what i was gonna say lol

People here are saying that if doing this brought in more business people would do it. Not true. People are lazy and shitty business people. Those stores who have a history of smart business in richmond like top gun group are successful because they know their niche but cater to all. They are about money and reputation . Meanwhile the little shops remain little. This has nothing to do with smart business decisions and niches. It's just bad business and not seeing further potential

You're telling me the small shops would be opposed because they want to continue with their niche? Bullshit every business owner wants to make more money and retire earlier. Possibly pass it on to their kids.
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #92
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
fT-z33wor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,524
Thanked 1,230 Times in 268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
chinese are growing in numbers (lol), it doesn't matter if you're in canada or in the Arctic.

it doesnt matter what the official language is.

drop the "effort to learn" excuse. there is no effort needed. because they are becoming the majority. they have power, and they are big in number.


OHHHHH doesn't this sound like white people? except now the roles are reversed?

for all of you that feel fear, xenophobia, etc whatever you want to call it.

karma's a bitch isn't it. the roles are changing. and this is just a small thing, they aren't even imposing it on you.

get used to it, new players enter the game, if they have more influence and power than you, you have to suck their dicks. just like the world has been sucking white dick for almost all of modern history.

now all you western washed people know what it's like to be any race but white.



that big crazy example is perfect. how many of you have even gone in there or know what they sell? does the english title even give you an idea of what kinda business they are?

on no3 road there's a store called "moores"... if you didn't know what the fuck that was, would you know what they sold? does the name even matter? what the fuck are u guys smoking?


no one cares about the effort your parents put in to learn english. they had to back then, there were almost no chinese. to survive you'd have to learn english.

now, times are different. there's more of them than there are of you. you should learn chinese.

or you can go to china and open english only stores. they'd do the exact opposite. they'll welcome you with open arms.
__________________

2001 WRX STi
2003 Supercharged 350z (sold)
1991 R32 GTR (sold)
2000 Civic SiR (sold)
1990 Civic Si-T (sold)
1986 MK1 Mr2 (sold)
2005 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2003 CBR 600RR (sold)
2007 Ducati 1098 track (sold)
2009 Kawasaki ZX6R (track build)

Last edited by fT-z33wor; 03-16-2013 at 11:14 AM.
fT-z33wor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #93
I am Hook'd on RS
 
THORISHERE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Thor Dropship
Posts: 59
Thanked 56 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
This is what i was gonna say lol

People here are saying that if doing this brought in more business people would do it. Not true. People are lazy and shitty business people. Those stores who have a history of smart business in richmond like top gun group are successful because they know their niche but cater to all. They are about money and reputation . Meanwhile the little shops remain little. This has nothing to do with smart business decisions and niches. It's just bad business and not seeing further potential

You're telling me the small shops would be opposed because they want to continue with their niche? Bullshit every business owner wants to make more money and retire earlier. Possibly pass it on to their kids.
Posted via RS Mobile
You clearly don't understand the business of business, or people for that matter. Every single business has a target audience (niche) whether clearly stated or vaguely imagined. Also, the target market for every business is unique as is every operator/owner of said business is unique. Any business owner/investor with a modicum of success can tell you that. You don't just blindly try to "cater to all" like an idiot, that's just "shitty" business sense.

Just because a business doesn't think of you (the unwashed masses) as a potential customer doesn't make it "shitty."
THORISHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #94
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days
 
RFlush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,242
Thanked 655 Times in 189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
99% of the signs in Hong Kong have english as well as chinese, so I don't see why they couldn't do the same in Richmond

What really pisses the HK people off is when the signs are in simplified. Those almost always get defaced


99% of the signs in HK have English?

Maybe you need to visit more of HK
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
apparently, freedom of speech does not exist on RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #95
My homepage has been set to RS
 
drunkrussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,308
Thanked 824 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THORISHERE View Post
You clearly don't understand the business of business, or people for that matter. Every single business has a target audience (niche) whether clearly stated or vaguely imagined. Also, the target market for every business is unique as is every operator/owner of said business is unique. Any business owner/investor with a modicum of success can tell you that. You don't just blindly try to "cater to all" like an idiot, that's just "shitty" business sense.

Just because a business doesn't think of you (the unwashed masses) as a potential customer doesn't make it "shitty."
No you clearly just don't understand my comment thanks for the first year marketing lesson but i was saying that there is an unrealized demand and lots of business would result from a simple translated sign
Posted via RS Mobile

When people want the best jap food they eat at an authentic jap owned place. Same with Chinese and Indian food. That's a niche. A niche is not appealing to a race but branding your food as the best in a specific type of cuisine. Untapped missed opportunity here by SHITTY business people. I dunno what an 'unwashed masses' are but yeah it all does indeed make it shitty

Last edited by drunkrussian; 03-16-2013 at 01:30 PM.
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #96
Head Moderator
 
Lomac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1982
Location: Great White Nor
Posts: 22,595
Thanked 6,407 Times in 2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THORISHERE View Post
LOL, a "giant hole" in English is still a "giant hole" in any other language, it's just said differently. The important thing is that drivers understand and obey traffic signs and traffic rules, the language they interpret these signs/conditions/rules in their head is irrelevant.
Sure, signage is usually fairly universal (though not always). However, what happens when you hit a construction zone and they use those electronic billboards to convey their warnings? Those are all written in English or French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
I see a lot of people angry on this thread and throwing out comments like "If you didn't want to learn English, don't come to Canada. Go back to China."

No, I don't think you get it. If you don't want to live in a city immersed in Chinese culture, move away from Richmond. Canada is the second largest in the WORLD, and the only place that this is happening is predominantly Richmond and parts of Vancouver. If you don't like what's happening here, there's plenty of other places you can move to that fits "your culture". The world is changing. Our city is changing. Don't try to change the whole ecosystem because you cannot adapt. It's that simple! You know what's funny? I was asking my little brother the other day how many white people he had in his high school class. He said there was one, and everyone else was Asian. IIRC the stats for Richmond is between 60-80% foreigners and the rest are white. Even ICBC lets you take your drivers test in Chinese. All pamphlets and PSAs regarding important messages are in Chinese and Punjabi.

I see all these people screaming "This is CANADA. Your living in my country. Why don't you speak my language." I think you are wrong. We are living in OUR country, in our community, and we can speak whatever language we want to speak. The majority of the people of this region decided that this is how we want our city to function and operate. I believe that is our right and we are free to do so? That's what makes Richmond and Vancouver unique. I saw punjabi/english ROAD SIGNS on Fraser Road!! Even the government has learned to adapt - why can't you?

This is what I love about Canada. Canada is about choice and freedom, and the basis of our economy have always been built on immigration.

I don't go down No.5 Road or head into Surrey and expect everyone to understand me. If I was ever going to be so upset that they didn't speak English, then I just wouldn't go there unless I wanted something specific.

I don't know where you guys go that makes you feel like "you aren't welcome in your own city". I haven't ever see a white person go into a restaurant that was ever treated any differently. If anything, the Chinese waitresses try even harder with their broken English to try to help you get what you want. Don't know what something on the menu is? ASK. You aren't socially awkward are you? People like Ulic and second/third generation Canadians that don't have fluent Chinese but still thrive in this city. I love how multicultural Richmond. I WANT to go into a Japanese restaurant where the guy cooking my food speaks broken English - that means that he probably rolls a mean sushi and cooks a good skewer. Love the place you live, and learn to live in it. Don't try to change the macro-environment to cater to your own personal selfish needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THORISHERE View Post
What's disgusting is not just that these Socialists want Big Brother to run their lives but they want Big Brother to run all our lives as well.

I am CBC and can speak Canto but I don't patron most of these stores anyway and I'm not going to start just because they put up some stupid english signs. What these Socialists/Xenophobes fail to understand is that stores like these (whether they are Chinese, East Indian or whatever) are not vying for your business, they are targeting a very specific niche. This is called CAPITALISM, but I doubt these Socialists will understand. Mandating stores to display their signs/menus/catalogues/etc. in english/french when these stores don't even cater to native english/french speakers is beyond ridiculous and wasteful. What's the point of having english banners, etc. when the workers can barely speak english and the goods they sell don't appeal to the masses anyway? Forcing entrepreneurs to adhere to a myriad of stupid rules and regulations such as these only adds to costs (re: waste) and produces nothing of tangible value.

Unless the gov't decides to ban all non-english-speaking immigrants (this would include most European immigrants LOL), there will always be communities that get converted into enclaves for said immigrants. Forcing small businesses to display english/french signs will not change the composition of the people working and shopping at these establishments in the least. All these whiners are really just closet-xenophobes pretending to be politically correct. These cultural enclaves take up what, less than 1% of the Canadian urban landscape? If you don't like them, there is still 99% remaining where you can do your thing.

Personally, I am a city/urban person and find suburbs with their characteristic McMansions, big box discount stores and giant parking lots really ugly but clearly millions of Canadians think otherwise. What I don't do is go around crying a river about it or worse, lobby the government to try to force other people to live the way I think is optimal. Instead, I understand that there are urban people and there are suburban people.

One of the defining characteristics of a free society is when disparate people (re: cultures) can live side by side without infringing on the natural rights of others.
Funny how you keep throwing the word Socialism around like it's an insult. You do realize that the CPC refers to themselves as "Socialism with Chinese characteristics," no?

Oh, and you blindly calling those people Xenophobes is just as presumptuous.

But I digress.

Here's an example. I love trying out new kinds of food. It doesn't matter if it's Chinese, Ethiopian (yes, there's actually an Ethiopian restaurant here ), Indian, etc., etc. I prefer going to smaller, mom and pop style stores because they tend to be much more genuine and authentic than an AYCE sushi bar or a well known Schnitzel Haus. Two days a week I go to school in Richmond and because I have a couple hours to kill between classes, I usually spend them seeking out new places to eat. One of the problems I've come across over the past three months is that there are a lot of places that simply refuse to deal with someone who doesn't speak Mandarin or Cantonese. It doesn't matter if you're white, brown, or even Chinese-born but have no knowledge of Mandarin. I tried to circumvent it by trying to draw pictures of what I'd like ot order or showing images on my phone but they would simply shake their head and point to the door in an obvious attempt to make me leave.

Don't get me wrong; I have been to plenty of other places with the same issues where a shop has no English signage or has very poor English skills, but they were absolutely wonderful to deal with. We'd do our best to communicate with one another and eventually one of us would begin to understand what was going on. And if the shop owner didn't quite understand and brought me something else to eat, meh... no big deal. I always make sure to leave a big tip after one of these encounters, partially because I create a bigger hassle as a customer than most of their regulars I imagine, and partially because their food is generally that much better.

Funny enough, one of the shop owners and I have begun to teach each other basic words in English and Mandarin.

Holy crap, that was an aside. I think I lost my original point somewhere in that story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretsel View Post
I don't know how legitimate her complaint is. I just did google street view for no.3 in the city center and all the shops have english names on their sign along with chinese names.
Here are the examples that were given in the original article.



Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #97
I am Hook'd on RS
 
pretsel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 51
Thanked 88 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Here are the examples that were given in the original article.



The top picture is the advertising for the company's store at the back which is called
G & R Ginseng Trading Ltd. With it saying 10-50% off. I think its safe to assume its 10-50 % off the Ginseng

For the bottom picture.
The yellow sign says Union Square.

And the bottom brand that says Sea Horse has a website printed on the side of the building that says www.seahorsemattress.com; I wonder what sea horse mattress could be selling?

Last edited by pretsel; 03-16-2013 at 02:13 PM.
pretsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #98
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
stewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: burnaby
Posts: 3,091
Thanked 1,888 Times in 487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretsel View Post
The top picture is the advertising for the company's store at the back which is called
G & R Ginseng Trading Ltd. With it saying 10-50% off. I think its safe to assume its 10-50 % off the Ginseng

For the bottom picture.
The yellow sign says Union Square.

And the bottom brand that says Sea Horse has a website printed on the side of the building that says SEVEN SEA HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS (CANADA) LTD.; I wonder what sea horse mattress could be selling?
just from doing a drive by, i would probably never notice the words G&R ginsing trading. its such a smaller sign in comparison that the larger signs would attract my eyes first, and i'd completely drive past it.

same for seahorsemattress.com, unless i was looking for a mattress and was walking past that store and happened to see the website printed on the window...id never walk in or recognize it.

im like 90% of the other white people i know, if we see a sign that says "sushi", we'll drive past it, and recognize it and maybe later that week we'll be looking for somewhere to eat, and one of us suggests sushi...we can at least say "hey i saw a lil sushi place the other day, wanna try it out?". if its all in a different language, we'll just skip past it and will never become a customer unless one of us is physically brought there by someone whos been there before.

as for me being curious and just popping in on my own free will. sure, id love to. but i dont have enough time in my day to walk around and pop into each store to figure out whats in it and what they have to offer. hence why im all up for the signs have the majority in english. i bet 9at least 75% of teh restaurants in richmond are good enough to have me come back agian for more, but without that sign telling me what they are/have. i simply dont have the free time to go in and check out and for that reason, i simply stick to places i know.
stewie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #99
Head Moderator
 
Lomac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1982
Location: Great White Nor
Posts: 22,595
Thanked 6,407 Times in 2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
just from doing a drive by, i would probably never notice the words G&R ginsing trading. its such a smaller sign in comparison that the larger signs would attract my eyes first, and i'd completely drive past it.

same for seahorsemattress.com, unless i was looking for a mattress and was walking past that store and happened to see the website printed on the window...id never walk in or recognize it.

im like 90% of the other white people i know, if we see a sign that says "sushi", we'll drive past it, and recognize it and maybe later that week we'll be looking for somewhere to eat, and one of us suggests sushi...we can at least say "hey i saw a lil sushi place the other day, wanna try it out?". if its all in a different language, we'll just skip past it and will never become a customer unless one of us is physically brought there by someone whos been there before.

as for me being curious and just popping in on my own free will. sure, id love to. but i dont have enough time in my day to walk around and pop into each store to figure out whats in it and what they have to offer. hence why im all up for the signs have the majority in english. i bet 9at least 75% of teh restaurants in richmond are good enough to have me come back agian for more, but without that sign telling me what they are/have. i simply dont have the free time to go in and check out and for that reason, i simply stick to places i know.
To be fair, most company's names don't say what their business is about anyway. Companies like Moores, Gap, Best Buy... none of them give a great description about what they sell. We only know what's there because of advertising or because we've shopped there in the past.

I think what you're looking for is more advertising done in English.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #100
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,886
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
not to challenge you, but all the cultures/races whatever, that you have named have all been anally raped by westerners long ago.

they're basically all colonies of the west, of course they don't segregate. what kind of dog would segregate from it's master?


we're talking about the chinese here. the far east. ya know... the complete opposite of us, the far west.

they don't bow down, cuz they don't view the west as superior. they view the west as equals, you can't expect them to whimper at your feet like the other cultures. They do things their way, just like we westerners do things our way.

we never give way to anyone else, neither do they. they're just a reflection of us. i can't believe most people here can't see that.
You're attempting too broad an argument.

Defining the impact of colonialism in a single sentence is not possible.

In Northern Canada, communities functioning entirely on Inuktitut exist because they're geographically separated from Southern Canada. In Southern America, communities functioning entirely on French Creole and Mexican Spanish exist because that's the native language of the predominantly immigrant populations. The Inuit were "anally raped by westerners long ago" and forced into a sedentary existence, French Creole and Mexican Spanish groups had similar experiences.

Your argument is an outright failure, sorry.

I argue the reason is simple.

In Richmond, Cape Dorset, and the Southern Communties I cited, it's not necessary to learn English, so some people don't.

I want all long-term residents to possess basic English skills though.

It's not a matter of xenophobia though; quite honestly, I'm somewhat disheartened that an intelligent person would write-off the reasoning so simply.

I want long-term residents to involve themselves in Canadian culture and politics, the HST vote for example.

I want to be able to interact in Richmond as easily as Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, and so on, and not feel my ethnicity is a limitation.

I want Richmond to be an integrated community, but I can't imagine being a Police Officer or working at Richmond Hospital without speaking Cantonese.

These are very basic, but important issues.

I don't want Richmond's Chinese culture to become white-washed, I just don't want it segregated.

I want immigrants to be Chinese-Canadian, not Chinese people in Canada.

I don't think that's xenophobic or wrong.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-16-2013 at 04:18 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net