REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #301
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver
Posts: 965
Thanked 410 Times in 85 Posts
How about this new law. Every time u post, u have to add only 30% of ur dialogue to say how much you respect immigrant customs. Ok cut you a deal. Only 20% of ur post must expound your adoration of multiculturalism. In doing this you are respecting Canada. Also this is for "safety" reasons.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #302
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 205
Thanked 220 Times in 76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
like lomac said, he brushed up his language skills before he went to germany and france. could he have gotten by without it? probably yeah....but its a simple thing called manners and respect for the country your in. just cause you can get by easily is no excuse not to, that just sounds pathetic and lazy on their part.
So I went to Cancun in the summer, but I didn't learn a single word of Spanish because the locals can communicate in English. According to you, I'm being disrespectful to the country I'm in?

Get your head outta your ass.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #303
Head Moderator
 
Lomac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1982
Location: Great White Nor
Posts: 22,590
Thanked 6,400 Times in 2,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
The established culture in Richmond is now chinese restaurants and malls. You are coming into their city, not the other way around.

Your example is irrelevant by the way. Most people in France and Germany mainly speak French and German. People in richmond speak mainly Chinese with english as a secondary language. So by your logic people coming into Richmond should learn Chinese with english as a backup.
Posted via RS Mobile
My point was that I was going to a country with the expectation that while I could most likely do all my business needs in English (not an official language of Germany or France), I instead opted to brush up on my German and French so that I could have a better chance at having a successful business by making sure everything was operated in those two languages.

-by the way, I realize that terrible run-on sentence may prove that I can't speak English either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
And there we have it folks. There is the racism and xenophobia. Your words make it as clear as ever that you have always felt superior as a Canadian than those whom share this country.
Not gonna bother with quoting the whole portion of your post, but what's your take on the whole Quebec sign issue? Is it still racism if a white French Canadian is vandalizing a white English Canadian's storefront for not having French wording large enough on his sign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
So I went to Cancun in the summer, but I didn't learn a single word of Spanish because the locals can communicate in English. According to you, I'm being disrespectful to the country I'm in?

Get your head outta your ass.
Good for you. Of course tourist towns will cater to the English speaking tourists visiting. However, if you actually moved to Cancun, you'd likely need to learn the native tongue if you decided to travel more than the half dozen blocks of where the tourist trap stores are.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #304
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene
 
$_$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Space
Posts: 1,919
Thanked 560 Times in 172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
like lomac said, he brushed up his language skills before he went to germany and france. could he have gotten by without it? probably yeah....but its a simple thing called manners and respect for the country your in. just cause you can get by easily is no excuse not to, that just sounds pathetic and lazy on their part.
And like that has been said numerous times there are only a small fraction of the people in Richmond that can literally speak zero English. What's your point? Everyone has to pass a English proficiency test before becoming a Canadian. What you keep emphasizing is completely moot.

A simple thing called manner and respect? They showed their respect learning the language and singing the national anthem when becoming immigrated citizen.


You are blatantly disrespecting them by walking into THEIR COMMUNITY telling them how to run their businesses. You are trying to dictate how they should run their lives and refuse the fact that they have used their freedom (the same ones which you share) to create an environment that is comfortable to them - At the same time NOT trying to exclude you. They simply aren't marketing to you.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #305
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene
 
$_$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Space
Posts: 1,919
Thanked 560 Times in 172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Not gonna bother with quoting the whole portion of your post, but what's your take on the whole Quebec sign issue? Is it still racism if a white French Canadian is vandalizing a white English Canadian's storefront for not having French wording large enough on his sign?

Yes, of course. Of course it's racism because it's targeted attacks on a group of people. If you want to get technical and say it's not (because they are the same race), then it's discrimination. That's only a technical difference, but the negativity is the same.

If the people of Quebec decide that they want to keep their French-Canadien heritage by enforcing a strict French signage laws then power to them. That's the culture and heritage there - I wholly respect and even support that because the majority of the people there are French Canadiens. Their elected officials made it happen through the correct political channels.

Shame on the vandals, but also shame on the store owners for not respecting the choices of the community you live in.


It's drastically different here. We are full of Chinese Canadians. And I see the point you are trying to make. The Anglo-Canadians want to keep the Canadian heritage alive by enforcing an English signage policy. The difference is that the Anglo-Canadians are not the majority here; not even by a close margin- the Asian Canadians are. And in this free, democratic society of ours majority always rules. I encourage you to garner support with your Anglo-Canadian peers and those who support you in order to rallify change. I welcome open and honest discussions - even racist ones if that is how you feel because I accept people's opinion and understand it if you can prove your side of thinking. I welcome it because it will truly show what those most opposed to this topic are thinking throughout this time as more immigrants have shown up without needing or wanting to adapt to "your view of Canadian-ization" without this bullshit veil (not directed at you specifically Lomac). What I cannot and will not accept is people pretending to care about the well being of others while being obviously racist or xenophobic underneath.

Last edited by $_$; 03-21-2013 at 07:15 PM.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #306
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
EmperorIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: home
Posts: 2,695
Thanked 3,676 Times in 808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post

like lomac said, he brushed up his language skills before he went to germany and france. could he have gotten by without it? probably yeah....but its a simple thing called manners and respect for the country your in. just cause you can get by easily is no excuse not to, that just sounds pathetic and lazy on their part.
As long as they don't commit any crimes and they pay their taxes, I don't see what more respect or manners they are obligated to give you.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #307
My homepage has been set to RS
 
drunkrussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,308
Thanked 824 Times in 340 Posts
Ulic should write tax code/legal documents/credit card agreements. Long, overly wordy, 97% irelevant, simple sentences, and you gotta scan it to try to find the spot that gets to the point

here's my response to this thread in ulic format

Assimilation is defined as adhering to the norms of a culture

there is no culture.

china is better than you and will soon be your neighbour.

When your neighbour is china, you are no longer its neighbour because you are no longer welcome and neighbours are welcoming.

Travel a bit nad you'll find it's about money power respect.

i make a lot of money but i am just a cog.

my goal is to be a boss.

like rick ross.

if rick ross was chinese he'd be superior.

china is rick ross on crack.

i am on crack.
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #308
I keep RS good
 
Ulic Qel-Droma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cosmos
Posts: 28,361
Thanked 5,348 Times in 1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
why not compare? ive seen more than enough people do things that a 5 year old would do, such as pickign their noses in public and litterally FLICKING it at stores, blowing their noses without a kleenex onto sidewalks, spitting on sidewalks in the path of a person walking towards them that are less than 10 feet away, cross the street of a busy intersection when theres a fucking street light no more than 50 yards away....
yeah but that's totally subjective. it's almost normal in china, although it's still considered low class and gross/rude.


you have to know that cultures are different. and they just do different shit differently.

you know when the white man first met the chinese man, they both thought of each other as fucking gross.

the yellow man, blowing his boogers and horking up loogies and spitting it on the side of the street, disguising.

the white man, blowing his boogers and horking up loogies and spitting it into a handkerchief, and then putting it back INTO his WARM pocket, where bacteria will fester and grow.

disguising! why would you put that shit in your pocket? it's way cleaner to spit it out onto the street.

see? who's right? u can't judge ppl on mannerisms. those are subjective.






Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
Ulic should write tax code/legal documents/credit card agreements. Long, overly wordy, 97% irelevant, simple sentences, and you gotta scan it to try to find the spot that gets to the point

here's my response to this thread in ulic format

Assimilation is defined as adhering to the norms of a culture

there is no culture.

china is better than you and will soon be your neighbour.

When your neighbour is china, you are no longer its neighbour because you are no longer welcome and neighbours are welcoming.

Travel a bit nad you'll find it's about money power respect.

i make a lot of money but i am just a cog.

my goal is to be a boss.

like rick ross.

if rick ross was chinese he'd be superior.

china is rick ross on crack.

i am on crack.
#1 you should rip my style more, you'll be cooler.

#2 you mean 97% relevant.

#3 simple sentences because I dictate to the masses. the masses is power. and also my opponents have to understand what i am saying, because they usually are too retarded to understand otherwise. if i want to confuse my opponents with a long string of complex words compacted into a short paragraph, I would rather just punch them in the face. It would be a lot more concise.

I write speeches that bring out emotions, whether negative or positive. I put the human element in the text. It jumps out at you and rapes your eyes.

the lazy minded need not read. their minds cannot keep up anyway.

No one likes reading academic style writing. It's boring. Logic is only half convincing in a debate that has no merit other than RS street cred.
__________________
nipples neways...wat is with those fuck'n asians! i mean you would think they've never seen a dentist in their life. are dentists really that rare over there in ricey ricey and? looks like they're star trek ferrengi rejects! fuck'n have broken glass for teeth! goddaymn! and the smell....did a rat crawl in there and shit itself then marinate in its own shit as it decayed?ewwwwwwwwww! i swear...if one of those ferrengi asian girls gave head...when u pull the dick out it looks like it went thru a meat grinder! prolly shaved off a few slices of meat! *shudder*
Greebo i t-boned some guy and killed their baby, it was funny
silvia i have a couple asian guy friends that do very well with the ladies. but guess what, they go to the gym, they dont have long hair, they dont wear orange pants, and they dont play counterstrike. its not the ethnicity that the girls dont like, its the style and personality.
450HP Supra I am about to use your eye sockets as a shoe rack for my nuts. ...something about chinks, j-bodys, I can't quite remember as I was drunk and looking for a girl to punch in the clit. Think of it as a digital urinal, and you are the mint, except, instead of actually smelling mint, you smell like mothballs, rotten kimchee and virginity. I'm about to start drinking heavily now and you better be gone before I get back or I swear to god I will break the internet over my knee and use the pieces to beat you in the deformed skull with, cock muffler.
Iceman-19 If your gf cooks and cleans, good, tell the guy to take a fucking hike. If she doesnt, fuck, that joker can have her. Lifes too short to cook your own meals and do your own laundry, thats what women are for!
http://ho316.tumblr.com
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #309
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,886
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
According to argument of racism and xenophobia:

A significant proportion of Chinese Canadians hold racist prejudices against other Chinese Canadians, which they project under the guise of assimilation. The notion of a person holding racist prejudices against their own ethnicity is absurd. Current Chinese Canadians support of the motion then must not be grounded in racism, but rather unbiased logic. The overwhelming majority of non-Chinese Canadians who support the motion employ the same unbiased logic, and are therefore not the racist or xenophobic either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I further argue:

Chinese Canadians support of the motion has been less contested than non-Chinese Canadians, because the former's support cannot be easily dismissed as racism and xenophobia. Non-Chinese Canadians then become the major proponents of the motion, but not necessarily because they're the most opposed.
Again, I further argue:

Richmond's Chinese Canadian population is significant; in fact, they represent a greater proportion of the population there than anywhere else in the country. Richmond is not an independent city, though; it's inappropriate to view it as such. Richmond is part of the Lower Mainland; specifically, comprising 7.3% of its population. Other Lower Mainland cities have very different ethnic demographics. For example, Surrey's South Asian Canadian population is similarly significant to Richmond's Chinese Canadian population; Abbotsford's is as well. Surrey and Abbotsford represent 18% and 6.5% of the Lower Mainland's population, respectively. One would then expect, South Asian Canadians would be subject to equal or greater levels of supposed racism and xenophobia compared to Chinese Canadians. There have been no criticisms of South Asian Canadians, though. That observation, again establishes, racism and xenophobia are not to blame for the criticisms of a portion of Richmond's Chinese Canadian population. The criticisms are for reasons independent of race.

Are the opponents of the motion able to directly refute these points?

If not, I'll assume you accept them as sound.

This image is pertinent.
Attached Images
File Type: png Graham's_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg.png (61.2 KB, 0 views)
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #310
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,417
Thanked 1,468 Times in 560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
yeah but that's totally subjective. it's almost normal in china, although it's still considered low class and gross/rude.


you have to know that cultures are different. and they just do different shit differently.

you know when the white man first met the chinese man, they both thought of each other as fucking gross.

the yellow man, blowing his boogers and horking up loogies and spitting it on the side of the street, disguising.

the white man, blowing his boogers and horking up loogies and spitting it into a handkerchief, and then putting it back INTO his WARM pocket, where bacteria will fester and grow.

disguising! why would you put that shit in your pocket? it's way cleaner to spit it out onto the street.

see? who's right? u can't judge ppl on mannerisms. those are subjective.
Well one way blows snot and spit everywhere for me to step on or breathe in, the other way keeps it to himself. It's not like im gonna reach in his pocket and play with his handkerchief. If you need to spit do it where someone isn't going to walk directly into, especially if you see them coming your way. That hardly seems subjective to me.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #311
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
H.Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: y
Posts: 1,199
Thanked 4,569 Times in 572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
I was mistaken.

At first I thought people were just being ignorantly racist and xenophobic.
yes ignorantly racist. they don't even know they're doing it. They can't see it at all.

but i was wrong.

they're just fucking scared. deep down inside, they don't even know it. They're just pussies. trying to hold on to what little identity they have, not just because they already don't have much to hold on to, but because at the core of what they're made up of... they are full of fear. they operate based on an egocentric life style, where everything is always about "I" and so long as their "way" isn't being slowly entrenched or engulfed by another type of bubble, they feel safe and happy.






i'm not gonna be polite and all nice about this shit any more.

you guys that are opposed to this are straight up being racist ignorant fuck heads.

you're so ignorant you don't even know it. you can't even fucking see it.

guess what, nothing we say can convince you. so i'll just say it the way it really is, and the one way you'll understand:


fuck you. too fucking bad. wah wah wah, cry me a fucking river.

you're going to be surrounded by chinese, and in the coming years, you'll be surrounded even more.

your kids are gonna be surrouded by chinese. he'll they're gonna have chinese girlfriends, and chinese friends, and eat chinese food, and probably read and speak a bit of chinese too.

wah wah wah, for once in your god damn westernized (i wanna say white but oh shit that's racist), you feel inferior, like someone else is stepping on your shit.

guess what, this shit was never yours to be stepped on in the first place. it's a resource. a resource that's passed around, and now it's passed onto someone else's hands.

the city council disagrees with you, the law disagrees with you, and the masses disagree with you.

if you wanna be surrounded by "white culture", go move to steveston or Langley (lol but in 10-15 years you'll be complaining that's too *insert non-Anglo-Saxon culture here*)


and please. stop with the "adapt to our culture".... OUR culture? what's OUR? WHO'S OUR?

what? everyone's gotta be a beer loving, ice skating, flannel wearing lumberjack? and jerk off to hockey players? drinking maple syrup while singing god save the queen?

give me a break.

as far as im concerned, "canadian culture" is the majority. it changes. you're the minority now. get a clue.

"learn english" because they're in CANADA? hello? with that attitude you should become a fucking yank and move down south to our imperialist retarded big brother.


the universe is borderless. no one has to learn anything in any country. if they can survive, they can survive. and so far they're surviving pretty good. oh.. wait, are you scared cuz you feel like on the survival ladder, you're lower now? cuz you can't adapt? cuz you're stuck with your ignorant fucking retarded way of thinking?

you've already lost the war. stop crying about it. hell it's not even a war. there was no fight to begin with. "your way" of life is dying. it's old. out with the old and in with the new.

go grow up to be grumpy old racist ignorant fucks somewhere else. or stay here, we don't mind.


bitch, money talks. if you were rich enough you would be living on the british properties or west vancouver, shit like this would never happen there, cuz white people there have money and power (slowly being taken over by the elite persians/iranians).


this isn't about logic, or some academic debate. no logic is needed.
all you have to know is, there's a lot of chinese, more than there are of you. they have much more money than you ever will. money is power and almost everything else you could wish for. the rest of the people around have to bend over and cater to them. that's all there is to it.

ANYWHERE you go, it's the same. it's just a shame that you thought you had your way before cuz of some cultural identity or cuz you claimed the land first or whatever fucking bullshit. no buddy, we live in a fucking dog eat dog world. whoever's got the money and bigger guns gets to do the talking and decision making. everyone else takes it up the ass or dies fighting. THE END.
what you have just said, is the most insanely idiotic thing I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #312
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene
 
$_$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Space
Posts: 1,919
Thanked 560 Times in 172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Again, I further argue:

Richmond's Chinese Canadian population is significant; in fact, they represent a greater proportion of the population there than anywhere else in the country. Richmond is not an independent city, though; it's inappropriate to view it as such. Richmond is part of the Lower Mainland; specifically, comprising 7.3% of its population. Other Lower Mainland cities have very different ethnic demographics. For example, Surrey's South Asian Canadian population is similarly significant to Richmond's Chinese Canadian population; Abbotsford's is as well. Surrey and Abbotsford represent 18% and 6.5% of the Lower Mainland's population, respectively. One would then expect, South Asian Canadians would be subject to equal or greater levels of supposed racism and xenophobia compared to Chinese Canadians. There have been no criticisms of South Asian Canadians, though. That observation, again establishes, racism and xenophobia are not to blame for the criticisms of a portion of Richmond's Chinese Canadian population. The criticisms are for reasons independent of race.

Are the opponents of the motion able to directly refute these points?

If not, I'll assume you accept them as sound.

This image is pertinent.
They are and do. Surrey constantly gets criticized for their South Asian community do they not? On this very board South Asians are constantly called out for their "attitudes" and their "gangster wannabes status." That's the criticism they receive.

Richmond's? Too Chinese.

And nobody goes to Surrey, Abby, or other parts of the lower mainland to shop and eat. Those places are suburbia towns with a comparatively low population density.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #313
I don't get it
 
hotshot1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 423
Thanked 279 Times in 82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur
See, you are clearly making is an "us" against "them" argument. I am not 'anti-chinese' signs. Fuck, make 99% of the fucking sign Chinese! I am in favour of that sign being translated into an official language for safety reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valour View Post
How about this new law. Every time u post, u have to add only 30% of ur dialogue to say how much you respect immigrant customs. Ok cut you a deal. Only 20% of ur post must expound your adoration of multiculturalism. In doing this you are respecting Canada. Also this is for "safety" reasons.
Posted via RS Mobile
Haha when I first read dinosaur say "safety reasons" my face was like this:
hotshot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #314
I keep RS good
 
Ulic Qel-Droma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cosmos
Posts: 28,361
Thanked 5,348 Times in 1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Specter View Post
what you have just said, is the most insanely idiotic thing I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.
you should read it again.

like any fine literature, it may seem incoherent and hard on the brain at first, but with time, you will understand the logic behind it if you are able to detach yourself from your own point of view.

realise it's not about what you think, it's about how it really is.

see this guy: http://www.revscene.net/forums/68174...ml#post8191181

he gets it.

you don't.


I'll simplify it even more.

Too bad. Money dictates. Chinese have money. They dictate.

If A=B, and C=A, then C=B. yeah? yeah??? YEAHH?? GET IT??? GET IT?! YEAH?



listen, i don't really care about the logic behind it, there doesn't have to be any logic. If the chinese wanted to use latin signs they should be able to do it.
majority always rules.

it's just that they are the majority, and they have the money. in simple terms, they have the guns and bullets. you have nothing.
__________________
nipples neways...wat is with those fuck'n asians! i mean you would think they've never seen a dentist in their life. are dentists really that rare over there in ricey ricey and? looks like they're star trek ferrengi rejects! fuck'n have broken glass for teeth! goddaymn! and the smell....did a rat crawl in there and shit itself then marinate in its own shit as it decayed?ewwwwwwwwww! i swear...if one of those ferrengi asian girls gave head...when u pull the dick out it looks like it went thru a meat grinder! prolly shaved off a few slices of meat! *shudder*
Greebo i t-boned some guy and killed their baby, it was funny
silvia i have a couple asian guy friends that do very well with the ladies. but guess what, they go to the gym, they dont have long hair, they dont wear orange pants, and they dont play counterstrike. its not the ethnicity that the girls dont like, its the style and personality.
450HP Supra I am about to use your eye sockets as a shoe rack for my nuts. ...something about chinks, j-bodys, I can't quite remember as I was drunk and looking for a girl to punch in the clit. Think of it as a digital urinal, and you are the mint, except, instead of actually smelling mint, you smell like mothballs, rotten kimchee and virginity. I'm about to start drinking heavily now and you better be gone before I get back or I swear to god I will break the internet over my knee and use the pieces to beat you in the deformed skull with, cock muffler.
Iceman-19 If your gf cooks and cleans, good, tell the guy to take a fucking hike. If she doesnt, fuck, that joker can have her. Lifes too short to cook your own meals and do your own laundry, thats what women are for!
http://ho316.tumblr.com

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 03-21-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #315
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,886
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
They are and do. Surrey constantly gets criticized for their South Asian community do they not? On this very board South Asians are constantly called out for their "attitudes" and their "gangster wannabes." That's the criticism they receive. Some would say deservedly so.

Richmond's? Too Chinese.

And nobody goes to Surrey, Abby, or other parts of the lower mainland to shop and eat. Those places are suburbia towns with a comparatively low population density.
Surrey may be criticized for its South Asian Canadian population, but its very seldom. I've certainly never criticized Surrey for its South Asian Canadian population. I've never seen Dinosaur or Lomac criticize Surrey for its South Asian Canadian population, either. If Dinosaur, Lomac, and I are racist and xenophobic, would we not be doing just that? I've only ever seen one direct, racist criticism of South Asian Canadians on RS ever, and it was by G-Spec. I'll note, however, that your post sounds very much like a guarded racist criticism.

Surrey and Abbotsford have comparatively low population densities in ALR regions, but have comparable population densities in city centers. I fail to see the relevance of that, though. Surrey has a significant number of restaurants and shops, which people from surrounding cities visit. A reference point is Kwantlen Polytechnic, a significant proportion of its student body resides in Vancouver and spends time in the areas surrounding the campus. Abbotsford has a primarily agricultural economy, but still draws a significant number of visitors from surrounding communities. As evidence, one of the largest malls in Western Canada is in Abbotsford.

Try again, if you like.

The opponents of the motion seem to believe; my support of it is motivated by racism and xenopobia, which are symptoms of a fear that Chinese Canadians are changing the Lower Mainland's culture. If that's the case, would I not have racist and xenophobic attitudes towards South Asian Canadians too?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosaur
See, you are clearly making is an "us" against "them" argument. I am not 'anti-chinese' signs. Fuck, make 99% of the fucking sign Chinese! I am in favour of that sign being translated into an official language for safety reasons.
Haha when I first read dinosaur say "safety reasons" my face was like this:
Its a valid point, I think.

Emergency service personnel speaking and reading exclusively English might have extra difficulty finding businesses with strictly Chinese signage.

I'm not sure how their GPS systems and dispatch and such work.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-21-2013 at 09:24 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #316
I keep RS good
 
Ulic Qel-Droma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cosmos
Posts: 28,361
Thanked 5,348 Times in 1,408 Posts
Vancouver Forum • View topic - Too many east indians work at the airport.

Denied entry to Surrey Christmas party for being East Indian, Herar speaks out | The Vancouver Observer

i found those in like 3 seconds.


don't be ignorant. just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

not everything requires logic and proof.

the matter of the fact is that, i don't think you, lomac, or dinosaur are on the same page as each other.

but you guys are in the same book. and you don't know it.

some of you guys are in worse chapters than others.


we aren't specifically talking about you either. we're talking about the people that raised the issue. and the people that posted in the province.

you have to understand, in this debate, specifically this thread, there is no middle ground.

there are only the two sides. and in this thread, you guy's clearly stand on the opposing side of the line. some closer than others.

if you wan't to take some politically correct logical neutral stance, this isn't the appropriate thread to do it.



recognize that this threads birth was sparked and fuelled by emotion. and it will end in emotion.

the biggest mistake anyone can make is, assuming that logic is a convincing tool.
__________________
nipples neways...wat is with those fuck'n asians! i mean you would think they've never seen a dentist in their life. are dentists really that rare over there in ricey ricey and? looks like they're star trek ferrengi rejects! fuck'n have broken glass for teeth! goddaymn! and the smell....did a rat crawl in there and shit itself then marinate in its own shit as it decayed?ewwwwwwwwww! i swear...if one of those ferrengi asian girls gave head...when u pull the dick out it looks like it went thru a meat grinder! prolly shaved off a few slices of meat! *shudder*
Greebo i t-boned some guy and killed their baby, it was funny
silvia i have a couple asian guy friends that do very well with the ladies. but guess what, they go to the gym, they dont have long hair, they dont wear orange pants, and they dont play counterstrike. its not the ethnicity that the girls dont like, its the style and personality.
450HP Supra I am about to use your eye sockets as a shoe rack for my nuts. ...something about chinks, j-bodys, I can't quite remember as I was drunk and looking for a girl to punch in the clit. Think of it as a digital urinal, and you are the mint, except, instead of actually smelling mint, you smell like mothballs, rotten kimchee and virginity. I'm about to start drinking heavily now and you better be gone before I get back or I swear to god I will break the internet over my knee and use the pieces to beat you in the deformed skull with, cock muffler.
Iceman-19 If your gf cooks and cleans, good, tell the guy to take a fucking hike. If she doesnt, fuck, that joker can have her. Lifes too short to cook your own meals and do your own laundry, thats what women are for!
http://ho316.tumblr.com
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #317
SB7
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
SB7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,095
Thanked 4,462 Times in 438 Posts
20 years ago it was...



Now it is...




Come at me bros
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #318
I keep RS good
 
Ulic Qel-Droma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cosmos
Posts: 28,361
Thanked 5,348 Times in 1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Emergency service personnel speaking and reading exclusively English might have extra difficulty finding businesses with strictly Chinese signage.

I'm not sure how their GPS systems and dispatch and such work.
emergency dispatch can speak chinese (and many other languages)

they would give appropriate and precise directions to whoever is dispatched. They also can 3 way.

E911 also has pinpoint accuracy to where you are when you call. Trust me on this one. They know where you are within like 1-5 square meters.

Not being able to speak english and calling 911 was an issue they solved long long long ago.
__________________
nipples neways...wat is with those fuck'n asians! i mean you would think they've never seen a dentist in their life. are dentists really that rare over there in ricey ricey and? looks like they're star trek ferrengi rejects! fuck'n have broken glass for teeth! goddaymn! and the smell....did a rat crawl in there and shit itself then marinate in its own shit as it decayed?ewwwwwwwwww! i swear...if one of those ferrengi asian girls gave head...when u pull the dick out it looks like it went thru a meat grinder! prolly shaved off a few slices of meat! *shudder*
Greebo i t-boned some guy and killed their baby, it was funny
silvia i have a couple asian guy friends that do very well with the ladies. but guess what, they go to the gym, they dont have long hair, they dont wear orange pants, and they dont play counterstrike. its not the ethnicity that the girls dont like, its the style and personality.
450HP Supra I am about to use your eye sockets as a shoe rack for my nuts. ...something about chinks, j-bodys, I can't quite remember as I was drunk and looking for a girl to punch in the clit. Think of it as a digital urinal, and you are the mint, except, instead of actually smelling mint, you smell like mothballs, rotten kimchee and virginity. I'm about to start drinking heavily now and you better be gone before I get back or I swear to god I will break the internet over my knee and use the pieces to beat you in the deformed skull with, cock muffler.
Iceman-19 If your gf cooks and cleans, good, tell the guy to take a fucking hike. If she doesnt, fuck, that joker can have her. Lifes too short to cook your own meals and do your own laundry, thats what women are for!
http://ho316.tumblr.com
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #319
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,886
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
Vancouver Forum • View topic - Too many east indians work at the airport.

Denied entry to Surrey Christmas party for being East Indian, Herar speaks out | The Vancouver Observer

i found those in like 3 seconds.


don't be ignorant. just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

not everything requires logic and proof.

the matter of the fact is that, i don't think you, lomac, or dinosaur are on the same page as each other.

but you guys are in the same book. and you don't know it.

some of you guys are in worse chapters than others.


we aren't specifically talking about you either. we're talking about the people that raised the issue. and the people that posted in the province.

you have to understand, in this debate, specifically this thread, there is no middle ground.

there are only the two sides. and in this thread, you guy's clearly stand on the opposing side of the line. some closer than others.

if you wan't to take some politically correct logical neutral stance, this isn't the appropriate thread to do it.



recognize that this threads birth was sparked and fuelled by emotion. and it will end in emotion.

the biggest mistake anyone can make is, assuming that logic is a convincing tool.
Of course, South Asian Canadians do experience racism and xenophobia.

I wasn't implying that it's not existent, simply that its relatively uncommon.

I'll narrow a bit, for clarity.

Support of the motion is not uncommon on RS, it's prolific, and its blamed on racism and xenophobia against Chinese Canadians.

If racism and xenophobia is prolific against Chinese Canadians on RS, logically, it would be prolific against South Asian Canadians on the same bases by the same individuals.

That's not the case.

Therefore, racism and xenophobia cannot be the explanation for support.

Logic and reason is how my brain works, I realize that's not how others see things though.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #320
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 205
Thanked 220 Times in 76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Well one way blows snot and spit everywhere for me to step on or breathe in, the other way keeps it to himself. It's not like im gonna reach in his pocket and play with his handkerchief. If you need to spit do it where someone isn't going to walk directly into, especially if you see them coming your way. That hardly seems subjective to me.
Umm.. I grew up here, and the only people I saw spitting on the ground were caucasian kids/jocks. So to stereotype mainlanders for their poor habits is really just pot calling the kettle black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Again, I further argue:

Richmond's Chinese Canadian population is significant; in fact, they represent a greater proportion of the population there than anywhere else in the country. Richmond is not an independent city, though; it's inappropriate to view it as such. Richmond is part of the Lower Mainland; specifically, comprising 7.3% of its population. Other Lower Mainland cities have very different ethnic demographics. For example, Surrey's South Asian Canadian population is similarly significant to Richmond's Chinese Canadian population; Abbotsford's is as well. Surrey and Abbotsford represent 18% and 6.5% of the Lower Mainland's population, respectively. One would then expect, South Asian Canadians would be subject to equal or greater levels of supposed racism and xenophobia compared to Chinese Canadians. There have been no criticisms of South Asian Canadians, though. That observation, again establishes, racism and xenophobia are not to blame for the criticisms of a portion of Richmond's Chinese Canadian population. The criticisms are for reasons independent of race.

Are the opponents of the motion able to directly refute these points?

If not, I'll assume you accept them as sound.

This image is pertinent.
You really are clueless and pull random crap out of your ass. There are countless times where I see south asian seniors come into the hospital in Abbotsford and expect me to speak punjabi to them, or find someone who can speak punjabi. I am sure the other 50% caucasian staff have the same problem.

Don't even try to use this example as "See! You're annoyed with people who can't speak english too!"
The difference is, I'm providing the service and I tell them to find someone who speaks english. I refuse to be forced to learn punjabi when the hospital is clearly english speaking.

Likewise, a restaurant that is clearly chinese speaking shouldn't be forced to speak english to you. They have the right to say no, just as I had the right to say no. The expectation was clearly communicated before you entered the store.

Last edited by twdm; 03-21-2013 at 10:01 PM.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #321
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene
 
$_$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Space
Posts: 1,919
Thanked 560 Times in 172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Of course, South Asian Canadians do experience racism and xenophobia.

I wasn't implying that it's not existent, simply that its relatively uncommon.

I'll narrow a bit, for clarity.

Support of the motion is not uncommon on RS, it's prolific, and its blamed on racism and xenophobia against Chinese Canadians.

If racism and xenophobia is prolific against Chinese Canadians on RS, logically, it would be prolific against South Asian Canadians on the same bases by the same individuals.

That's not the case.

Therefore, racism and xenophobia cannot be the explanation for support.

Logic and reason is how my brain works, I realize that's not how others see things though.
No, that does not have to be the case. When I mentioned that Abby and Surrey are not retail cities, it's because people like you or dino or Lomac and those in support of this provision have little reason to go there regularly. Therefore, what happens there has little effect on your life, so even if signs were completely in Punjabi or Hindi you wouldn't even notice. But most likely you would come to Richmond at times when your Asian friends invite you and it frustrates those when they come that they cannot read some signs.


Based on what you have said - you would like ALL signs (including Hindi, Punjabi and Korean) signs to have English on them. That sentiment alone already screams xenophobia at me. You are trying to argue that "because I haven't ever made a comment about South Asians, how could I possibly be being xenophobic/racist here?" But you want all signs to have English - so how does that not affect the South Asians also? We are only talking about the Chinese because that's what's brought up here. But the sentiment that's shared by those for the provision are that enforcement would made to signs and everything that's NOT English. With that you have already covered everyone. That in itself in a country where we are free to speak and conduct our business in whatever language we want to already shows xenophobia.

I don't need to prove that you are xenophobic to two different cultures to try to show you that you are exhibiting symptoms of xenophobia.

Last edited by $_$; 03-21-2013 at 10:22 PM.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #322
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,886
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
You really are clueless and pull random crap out of your ass. There are countless times where I see south asian seniors come into the hospital in Abbotsford and expect me to speak punjabi to them, or find someone who can speak punjabi. I am sure the other 50% caucasian staff have the same problem.

Don't even try to use this example as "See! You're annoyed with people who can't speak english too!"
The difference is, I'm providing the service and I tell them to find someone who speaks english. I refuse to be forced to learn punjabi when the hospital is clearly english speaking.

Likewise, a restaurant that is clearly chinese speaking shouldn't be forced to speak english to you. They have the right to say no, just as I had the right to say no. The expectation was clearly communicated before you entered the store.
I volunteer at Abbotsford Regional Hospital, and personally, have never had that issue.

The scenarios you've given are very different and you've again resorted to ad homs, so I won't take the time to address you further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
No, that does not have to be the case. When I mentioned that Abby and Surrey are not retail cities, it's because people like you or dino or Lomac and those in support of this provision have little reason to go there. Therefore, what happens there has little effect on your life. But most likely you would come to Richmond at times and it frustrates those when they come that they cannot read some signs.


Based on what you have said - you would like ALL signs (including Hindi, Punjabi and Korean) signs to have English on them. That sentiment alone already screams xenophobia at me. You are trying to argue that "because I haven't ever made a comment about South Asians, how could I possibly be being xenophobic/racist here?" But you want all signs to have English - so how does that not affect the South Asians also? We are only talking about the Chinese because that's what's brought up here. But the sentiment that's shared by those for the provision are shared by everything that's NOT English. That in itself in a country where we are free to speak and conduct our business in whatever language we want to already shows xenophobia. I don't need to prove that you are xenophobic to two different cultures to try to show you that you are exhibiting symptoms of xenophobia.
That's not the case. I have close ties to Abbotsford and Surrey, and to my knowledge, Dino and Lomac have some too.

I do not support ethnic segregation, and I believe signs in exclusively one language (english exempt) intentionally cater to only one ethnicity. That's not xenophobia, because the motivations are distinctly contrary to it.

My issue is ethnic segregation, and has been all along. My criticisms have all been directed at Chinese Canadian businesses in Richmond, because that's the only example of ethnic segregation I've seen. I've not criticized any South Asian Canadian businesses, because I've not seen any example of ethnic segregation. Were I truly xenophobic, I would pursue direct criticisms of South Asian Canadians too.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-21-2013 at 11:39 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #323
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene
 
$_$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Space
Posts: 1,919
Thanked 560 Times in 172 Posts
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobia
Quote:
Xenophobia can manifest itself in many ways involving the relations and perceptions of an ingroup towards an outgroup, including a fear of losing identity, suspicion of its activities, aggression, and desire to eliminate its presence to secure a presumed purity.[4] Xenophobia can also be exhibited in the form of an "uncritical exaltation of another culture" in which a culture is ascribed "an unreal, stereotyped and exotic quality".[5] Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action urges all governments to take immediate measures and to develop strong policies to prevent and combat all forms and manifestations of racism, xenophobia or related intolerance, where necessary by enactment of appropriate legislation including penal measure.[6]
This is the exact argument that many of you have used: You fear that you will lose the Canadian identity due to this. Because of this insecurity, you want to "secure and make sure English is on all signs". But notice how quickly that was striked down as it was put forward in government? Because you are basically showing the people that you are intolerant.

Quote:
A xenophobic person has to genuinely think or believe at some level that the target is in fact a foreigner. This arguably separates xenophobia from ordinary prejudice. In various contexts, the terms "xenophobia" and "racism" seem to be used interchangeably, though they can have wholly different meanings (xenophobia can be based on various aspects, racism being based solely on ethnicity, and ancestry). Xenophobia can also be directed simply to anyone outside a culture. Basically, a completely biased opinion regarding foreign matters.
Many of you still treat Chinese-Canadians as foreigners living in your country. They are not. They are full fledged Canadians. This is where the xenophobia comes from. You don't get upset at an authentic Italian restaurant or Russian restaurant written in only their respective languages.

Quote:
The first (form of xenophobia is against) a population group present within a society that is not considered part of that society. Often they are recent immigrants, but xenophobia may be directed against a group which has been present for centuries, or became part of this society through conquest and territorial expansion. This form of xenophobia can elicit or facilitate hostile and violent reactions, such as mass expulsion of immigrants, pogroms or in other cases, genocide.
Quote:
The second form of xenophobia is primarily cultural, and the objects of the phobia are cultural elements which are considered alien. All cultures are subject to external influences, but cultural xenophobia is often narrowly directed, for instance, at foreign loan words in a national language. It rarely leads to aggression against individual persons, but can result in political campaigns for cultural or linguistic purification. In addition, entirely xenophobic societies tend not to be open to interactions from anything "outside" themselves, resulting in isolationism that can further increase xenophobia.
That pretty much speaks for itself, doesn't it?

Last edited by $_$; 03-21-2013 at 10:42 PM.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #324
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver
Posts: 965
Thanked 410 Times in 85 Posts
The sign by law can be summarized as this "You cannot freely express your signage unless you pay tribute to my culture and heritage(English")
This is a restriction on freedom of expression. As currently stands these people have the right to solely put chinese on the signs. You are advocating to take away their right to do so. The caveat of only allowing that right with the homage to English creates the cultural conflict in question. This conflict can be perceived as racist.

Because you advocate for this racist policy you are perceived as racist.

If you can't understand this it is probably because you cannot empathize with the people you are trying to take the rights away from.
__________________
Give them nothing, but take from them... EVERYTHING!!! - King Leonides


7seven: I really can't stand all these idiots who hit the gym now just because they watched 300 and want to be like a spartan. Case in point, this skinny guy comes into the gym the other day, must have only weighed ~ 140lbs, loads on 2 plates on the bench rack, mutters to himself, for sparta, unracks the barbell and proceeds to drop it directly on his chest.
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #325
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,886
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
Source: Xenophobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the exact argument that many of you have used: You fear that you will lose the Canadian identity due to this. Because of this insecurity, you want to "secure and make sure English is on all signs". But notice how quickly that was striked down as it was put forward in government? Because you are basically showing the people that you are intolerant.
Are you attempting to support your claims that I'm xenophobic?

I've never expressed fear of losing my Canadian identity.

Quote:
Many of you still treat Chinese-Canadians as foreigners living in your country. They are not. They are full fledged Canadians. This is where the xenophobia comes from. You don't get upset at an authentic Italian restaurant or Russian restaurant written in only their respective languages.
I treat all Canadians equally, regardless of ethnic background.

I avoid restaurants with menus written in languages I don't understand, regardless of the ethnicity of food being served.

Quote:
That pretty much speaks for itself, doesn't it?
I support multiculturalism, and would never advocate cultural or linguistic purification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valour View Post
The sign by law can be summarized as this "You cannot freely express your signage unless you pay tribute to my culture and heritage(English")
This is a restriction on freedom of expression. As currently stands these people have the right to solely put chinese on the signs. You are advocating to take away their right to do so. The caveat of only allowing that right with the homage to English creates the cultural conflict in question. This conflict can be perceived as racist.

Because you advocate for this racist policy you are perceived as racist.

If you can't understand this it is probably because you cannot empathize with the people you are trying to take the rights away from.
In Canada, there's no right to freedom of expression.

I don't see a conflict, anyway.

How does the presence of english on a sign create a conflict? Its nothing more than a marketing tool.

Mandating an official language (presumably english) ensures a business caters to all ethnicities as equally as possible, where's the conflict?

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-21-2013 at 11:14 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net