REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 02:42 AM   #226
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,824
Thanked 6,596 Times in 2,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
It's not the same as them learning english and being told fuck you, don't like chinks, go elsewhere.
hahaha oh man if there is one lesson you should learn from me, is don't use the C word on Revscene.

you're lucky you didn't get banned

Back in the day....oh boy, let me tell you.
Advertisement
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2013, 02:44 AM   #227
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
EmperorIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: home
Posts: 2,695
Thanked 3,676 Times in 808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
hahaha oh man if there is one lesson you should learn from me, is don't use the C word on Revscene.

you're lucky you didn't get banned

Back in the day....oh boy, let me tell you.
Dude we know you got banned for racist comment and got away with it, you can stop reminding us.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #228
WOAH...shut the music off...
 
GLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,796
Thanked 4,706 Times in 1,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
Some of you people really need to understand what official language means... you guys sound like a bunch of racist rednecks telling people what to say and what to do without actually understanding what the term freedom of expression even means or what your country stands for

I am not protecting Chinese people here but you guys just sound so damn ignorant.
you know this is one crazy-ass thread when EmperorIS is posting some legit shit in a thread that has a lot of

__________________
Feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?t=611711

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
Quote:
[04-06, 11:34]radiomanI'm doing happy hour with bj#3 today
[07-04, 10:27]radiomani need just the tip
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #229
My homepage has been set to RS
 
melloman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: #604
Posts: 2,253
Thanked 2,439 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
As an addendum, french was not an official language until 1969. Were there any issues with french signs in quebec before that time? No one complained why these french pigs shouldn't be forced to speak english? (Tongue in cheek for banhappy mello)
Posted via RS Mobile
Since 1744 (Quebec Act) the "French immigrants" who settled in Quebec have always pushed for French as a language. From that date, it took them more then 2 centuries to get to The Official Languages Act (1969) where French was adopted as a second language. It then took the province of Quebec to put forth Bill 22 (1974) to get French the dominate language of Quebec. Once that was done in 1977 Bill 101 was passed to rightfully call out the Charter of the French Language.


Go about this for the Chinese languages, and I won't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
It isn't just about "signs". It's about freedom - freedom to conduct businesses how they see fit and freedom to converse and advertise in whatever language they want to.
There have to be lines in the sand. Where do you think all this racist stems from? It's a huge population of Chinese immigrants coming here, settling here, and keeping with their Chinese traditions and not even trying to adapt to what is currently here.

BC is very multicultural, I have no problem with this as I like to eat different foods. Korean, Japanese, Indian, Italian, Greek. Yet the signage should atleast respect the current (or now previous) majority of the population. A mass of immigrants should not come to settle here, and just "live" here. It's a complete lack of respect to just make Richmond, BC the "New China."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot1 View Post
I get it, I state my opinion and you don't like it, but instead of discussing it, you say that I'm the problem. Yeah ok.

Why do you guys want English on the store signs so bad? According to Wiki, the percentage of people who identify as Chinese is 50%. I'm guessing most of them can speak at least a little English. So what if there are some stores that cater only to the miniscule percentage non-English speaking people? Why give a fuck? If the signs aren't in English, you're probably not gonna go there anyway. Why make it inconvenient for them? They're not breaking any laws so I don't see why everyone's so against it. Are you scared that in the future, the Chinese may or may not take over Richmond and you wanna keep that from happening?
My issue is that people can set a trend. A trend where people can pretty much say "Fuck you" to English and just bring the rest of their Chinese traditions here. We are trying to accommodate them by saying "Hey, just put some English on the sign and your okay." Yet their attitude towards English is "Why should I?"

It's that kind of outright disrespectful trend that is being set for the future. And yes, I know eventually Canto/Mandarin (or Indian*Hindi*) will be the most spoke language in the world, not English. Yet that will be based solely on population alone.
__________________
Quote:
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #230
(╯□)╯聽不到 ╮(□╮)
 
Tim Budong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The Womb
Posts: 16,810
Thanked 10,861 Times in 2,126 Posts
Heres an even better argument
careful guys, some of you might be too stupid to understand
ahahah

Chinese signs in Richmond to stay after council rejects proposed English bylaw : vancouver
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #231
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,824
Thanked 6,596 Times in 2,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
Dude we know you got banned for racist comment and got away with it, you can stop reminding us.
Take that Asian shaft of yours and shove it up your ass. Don't make me type it out for you in traditional Chinese neither.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #232
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 205
Thanked 220 Times in 76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
There have to be lines in the sand. Where do you think all this racist stems from? It's a huge population of Chinese immigrants coming here, settling here, and keeping with their Chinese traditions and not even trying to adapt to what is currently here.

BC is very multicultural, I have no problem with this as I like to eat different foods. Korean, Japanese, Indian, Italian, Greek. Yet the signage should atleast respect the current (or now previous) majority of the population. A mass of immigrants should not come to settle here, and just "live" here. It's a complete lack of respect to just make Richmond, BC the "New China."



My issue is that people can set a trend. A trend where people can pretty much say "Fuck you" to English and just bring the rest of their Chinese traditions here. We are trying to accommodate them by saying "Hey, just put some English on the sign and your okay." Yet their attitude towards English is "Why should I?"

It's that kind of outright disrespectful trend that is being set for the future. And yes, I know eventually Canto/Mandarin (or Indian*Hindi*) will be the most spoke language in the world, not English. Yet that will be based solely on population alone.
Really? Bringing their "Chinese" traditions over? Lets replace chinese with black, Jewish, arab, etc and re-read that sentence.

I really fail to see how no mods see the racist undertones this person is exhibiting.

I guess as long as people bring over european cultures culture it's ok because it was brought by the white man. God forbid these barbaric orientals from diluting our white culture.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by twdm; 03-20-2013 at 05:29 PM.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #233
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,394
Thanked 2,057 Times in 211 Posts
^melloman is just expressing his opinion that if there is no line drawn now, then eventually the rest of the traditions will take over richmond and become another "china town". a bit over dramatic? yes, but not racist.
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #234
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 205
Thanked 220 Times in 76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzz786786 View Post
^melloman is just expressing his opinion that if there is no line drawn now, then eventually the rest of the traditions will take over richmond and become another "china town". a bit over dramatic? yes, but not racist.
Canada was built on a society of immigrants who made the current culture what it is today. It is a constant cycle of change that is inherent in an immigrant fueled society. Canadians never had any issues with trampling on native culture when they came over from Europe, but when some non-european culture brings over their culture, they feel threatened.

So what is wrong with Chinatown? Do elaborate. May I kindly remind you that city was built from workers who died building the CPR.

Last edited by twdm; 03-20-2013 at 05:48 PM.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #235
WOAH...shut the music off...
 
GLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,796
Thanked 4,706 Times in 1,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
I really fail to see how no mods see the racist undertones this person is exhibiting.
__________________
Feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?t=611711

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
Quote:
[04-06, 11:34]radiomanI'm doing happy hour with bj#3 today
[07-04, 10:27]radiomani need just the tip
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #236
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: bedroom
Posts: 3,111
Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,176 Posts
I vote we meet up for coffee and have this discussion face-to-face. I doubt some of you will have the same opinions when you don't have a computer screen staring back at you.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #237
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
EmperorIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: home
Posts: 2,695
Thanked 3,676 Times in 808 Posts
How fragile is this Canadian culture you speak of, that a couple of immigrants migrate over put up a few signs and you go up in arms about how threaten you are of losing your identity? Seriously.

If that is the case than perhaps it is not the immigrant's culture, it is your own lack of identity that you so dearly grasp on. Why don't you try to improve yourself and learn a few things before you criticize others for their own personal practice.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #238
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver
Posts: 965
Thanked 410 Times in 85 Posts
The Honorable Space Marines who really are racist cuz if you don't worship the Emperor you are a Xeno and you must DIE!


Tyrannids say your argument is invalid Hissssssss! 8:00min

__________________
Give them nothing, but take from them... EVERYTHING!!! - King Leonides


7seven: I really can't stand all these idiots who hit the gym now just because they watched 300 and want to be like a spartan. Case in point, this skinny guy comes into the gym the other day, must have only weighed ~ 140lbs, loads on 2 plates on the bench rack, mutters to himself, for sparta, unracks the barbell and proceeds to drop it directly on his chest.

Last edited by Valour; 03-20-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #239
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 18,741
Thanked 8,235 Times in 3,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
Canada was built on a society of immigrants who made the current culture what it is today. It is a constant cycle of change that is inherent in an immigrant fueled society. Canadians never had any issues with trampling on native culture when they came over from Europe, but when some non-european culture brings over their culture, they feel threatened.

So what is wrong with Chinatown? Do elaborate. May I kindly remind you that city was built from workers who died building the CPR.
No, not the CPR again. Why do people bring that up?

What city was built from workers who died building the CPR?

Craigellachie?
__________________
Quote:
"there but for the grace of god go I"

substitute the word "god" with Allah, Mohammed, Buddha, Odin, your parents, whathaveyou..........
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #240
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver
Posts: 965
Thanked 410 Times in 85 Posts
"Octopus" Toy Store Owner's Supreme Court Bid Denied

Kinda related story. The city of Richmond, via its democratic process has allowed the business to operate under a broad blanket of freedom. Funny how advocates argue that Chinese must "respect" Canadian values but they themselves can ignore and belittle the decisions of this democratic process.

Solutions: Instead of asking the government to do this and that for you, maybe the citizens could have entered the store, become patrons of the store, give the store owner a reason to want to engage you and your business. Participate in the many merchant community associations. The community is as much a part of you as you are of it. You can shape it through positive actions. All these advocates do is complain and try to rat/narc out the business.

Also, just because you eat Asian food doesn't mean that you don't harbour racist opinions.

In conclusiom. WE are Canadian and we are blessed to be so. We know better because we have had a better life and opportunities. It is up to us to show them the benefits and joys of this privilege. We must fight the lowest denominators on both sides. Canadians need to fight their xenophobic tendencies and fear of change.

Don't believe the hype. Asian immigrants are raising their children in English, watching English movies and Pr0n(cuz asian pr0n is censored and bushy), watching Hockey games and crushing on English speaking LG's. Their business are registered in English, taxes are paid on English tax returns, and Lease agreements signed on English contracts. They sometimes kiss in French.

We should be like the Tau Kroot shapers, adopting the strengths of all cultures to strengthen our genetic mix. But to do this, we must take a leading role in participating instead of standing on a box and lecturing them.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Kroot_Shaper

Ps Tau are cool look at this battle suit
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Shas'O_Kais
__________________
Give them nothing, but take from them... EVERYTHING!!! - King Leonides


7seven: I really can't stand all these idiots who hit the gym now just because they watched 300 and want to be like a spartan. Case in point, this skinny guy comes into the gym the other day, must have only weighed ~ 140lbs, loads on 2 plates on the bench rack, mutters to himself, for sparta, unracks the barbell and proceeds to drop it directly on his chest.

Last edited by Valour; 03-20-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #241
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
EmperorIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: home
Posts: 2,695
Thanked 3,676 Times in 808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valour View Post
"Octopus" Toy Store Owner's Supreme Court Bid Denied

Kinda related story. The city of Richmond, via its democratic process has allowed the business to operate under a broad blanket of freedom. Funny how advocates argue that Chinese must "respect" Canadian values but they themselves can ignore and belittle the decisions of this democratic process.
Because they are not advocating any Canadian value, they are advocating their own ideology and personal values. Self-entitlement at it's finest.

I don't understand why can't they just ignore what they don't understand. Not everything needs to suit their needs. If they are really concerned maybe they should do a little investigating on their part instead of blaming others for their own laziness. Just because you were in the country first, doesn't make you king of the land and everyone needs to tailor their habits around you.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #242
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Infiniti
Posts: 2,470
Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts


I dont even know why you guys get in this debate.
it just gets everyone pissed.
I used to, but now I just skim thru it.
why waste your time with another that will not understand.. - -
some people cant even understand thru their THICK skull, not to mention you want to try and do it thru a computer screen.
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #243
I don't get it
 
hotshot1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 423
Thanked 279 Times in 82 Posts
Quote:
Because they are not advocating any Canadian value, they are advocating their own ideology and personal values. Self-entitlement at it's finest.
I totally agree . This is a great example of xenophobia.
hotshot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #244
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 205
Thanked 220 Times in 76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
No, not the CPR again. Why do people bring that up?

What city was built from workers who died building the CPR?

Craigellachie?
To clarify, chinatown was built by chinese workers who built the CPR and their families. People who've clearly done more for Canada than the ancestors of most Canadians. To then use Chinatown as a derogatory term is insulting to many Chinese canadians.
Posted via RS Mobile
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #245
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
yray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PENIS
Posts: 2,770
Thanked 2,739 Times in 786 Posts
^ Chinatown was beside city hall back then. They didn't built it up, it was just economic sense to have it there.

Chinese were everywhere, you can say Chinese caused trench warfare because it was the Chinese who dug the trenches in WWI. Chinese built railroads in the states too, you don't see them basking about saying they built SF or LA.
__________________
There's a phallic symbol infront of my car

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
[10-11, 09:24] dapperfied yraisis
[10-11, 09:24] dapperfied yray so waisis

[29-06, 13:42] FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
[29-06, 13:41] FastAnna i really cant
[29-06, 13:41] FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #246
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene
 
$_$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Space
Posts: 1,919
Thanked 560 Times in 172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post


I dont even know why you guys get in this debate.
it just gets everyone pissed.
I used to, but now I just skim thru it.
why waste your time with another that will not understand.. - -
some people cant even understand thru their THICK skull, not to mention you want to try and do it thru a computer screen.
This is an interesting topic because as a Asian-Canadian, I've always felt xenophobia and racism veiled underneath people's mannerisms towards us despite how widely celebrated Multiculturalism is in Canada.

Despite those that claim they love Asian food, have Asian friends, and shop at Asian stores, I have always known that those that come from European descent have a feeling of entitlement towards Canada simply because "they were here first". They have always felt that they have more right to this land because Columbus arrived first, and the first wave of immigrants were English and French. Because of this, they have always thought of White Skinned Euopeans as "True Canadians" and Asian-Hockey-Stick-Waving-Canadians as foreign immigrants regardless of how many generations have lived here or how perfectly articulate our English are. This has how I have been raised to feel even though my family has been living here my entire life, and will continue to live here for generations to come. They feel this way and they have made us feel this way even though no one explicitly dares to say it.

I feel this attitude has been culminating for YEARS and YEARS and have finally been bottled up to a point where those who feel that way has finally found an outlet to vent their anger and lash out at the Chinese community while skirting the the thin line of racism. I find it comical actually - I have always expected racism. My parents felt it, my brother felt it while he was in school. I was fortunate enough that by the time I was in school I did no longer had to deal with those issues because multiculturalism was more promoted then.

It's funny to see that those who still feel racist underneath would continue to act this way by trying to hide behind such thin veils such as "protecting Canadian Identity." Just by not only the overwhelming response and strongness of opinion on this matter, we can continue to see this attitude prevail.

Most signs are already in English. A tiny, minute fraction of stores don't have English signs. Those stores that don't ususaly sells things that you wouldn't have bought anyway. 99% of restaurants menus have English on them:I have been to Italian/Korean/Chinese/something-ian restaurant where there was no English - I have never once been unable to order because the waiter knew absolutely no English. If by the off chance these stores exists, more power to them. They are excellent niche marketers. They are in the extreme minority.

But by the responses and opinions of this thread, on the province website, and elsewhere you would think that Richmond is some kind of Chinese infested city which needs Canadianized-Purging. That's why I continue to re illiterate that this isn't simply about signs: the amount of signage that does not have English should not warrant this type of response and attitude. Canadians of European descent continues to feel entitled to Canadian Land and Culture. They will continue on with this attitude under the guise of protecting Canadian Identity while not accepting that Chinese-Canadians are creating a new Canadian Identity, rooted to the lands where we come from. I know some of the for English signs are Chinese- but look at the province comment section and see who are the most vocal and disgusted the fact that this provision was not passed. Those are the same people that are disgusted that Richmond and Vancouver choose to celebrate Chinese Holidays alongside Christian Holidays, and are "1,000 strong" in response to wanting English signs. I do not know what ethnicity those who for the provision on this thread are: (I know from previous or current posts some are Chinese) and if you happen to be Asian - I accept your criticism. But this is simply how I have felt growing up alongside Canadians of European descent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
This isn't the next step in Canadian culture, this is Richmond culture.
The last time I checked, Richmond and Vancouver are cities in Canada. And on an international scale, Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary as well as any other major Canadian city all have very large Asian populations: this is the next step in Canadian Culture, whether you like/accept it or not.

Culture isn't something that you can keep referring to because you think it represents us. Being Canadian in Eastern Canada or Northern Canada may mean pouring maple syrup out of a maple tree or ice skating in your backyard pond. How does that relate to us? Canada is a huge place. There are plenty of subcultures to go around. Being Canadian in Western Canada and Lower Mainland means that you can accept that you are living amongst a huge population of your Asian peers. In 50-100 years you will see that that truly is the meaning of the culture here. And yes, that will be written as Canadian Culture.

And to quote someone from reddit:

Quote:
2011 Census - Richmond mother tongue
English 35.2% (71,798)
Cantonese 15.6% (31,837)
Chinese n.o.s. 12.4% (25,213)
Mandarin 9.8% (19,923)
Punjabi 5.4% (10,932)
Tagalog 4.0% (8,093)
Russian 1.0% (2,198)
Spanish 1.0% (2,096)
German 1.0% (2,045)
Japanese 0.9% (1,776)
2011 Census - Richmond country of birth
Canadian-born 41.3% (84,126)
China 19.0% (38,684)
Hong Kong 10.8% (22,122)
Philippines 6.1% (12,397)
Taiwan 3.6% (7,299)
India 3.3% (6,639)
United Kingdom 1.9% (3,884)
Non-permanent residents 1.1% (2,192)
So this is what we're all in a tizzy about. A couple thousand Chinese people. Or if you're a sloppy racist, about 80,000 Asian people in a suburb of Vancouver amongst which are kids who will Canadianize, lose their parents' mother tongue, and prefer English -- like generations before them.
None of any of the Province newspaper-esque, xenophobic, hyperbole really bears out.
All the restaurants, cafes, karaoke joints have English names -- however poorly thought out they might be. The places with Chinese-only signs are generally the Chinese medicine spots and shops of that type. This whole affair is a non-issue.
Like this guy said, this should have never been an issue. If anything, many,many of my Chinese friends do not speak a word of Chinese. Most of my friends myself included prefer to speak in English. A lot of you on this board who are Chinese said so yourselves that you do not speak Chinese. What does that say about the next generation of Chinese Canadians? Does that look like assimilation to you?

Are those that are saying that this is a "cultural issue" still going to hide your racism behind reasons of assimilation and protecting Canadian Culture? Are we any less Canadian? Am I going to know less about the History of Canada because the guy selling Herbal Remedies does not feel a need to put "Wong's Herbs"?

Last edited by $_$; 03-20-2013 at 09:40 PM.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #247
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
ae101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: space
Posts: 3,239
Thanked 1,444 Times in 567 Posts
questions to ppl that cant read chinese folks:

if i sell cow penis & my sign has no english u guys would complain, but if put in english & said "COW PENIS FOR SALE" would u come in to support my business

if not then why bother with the extra wording when i already know that non-cow penis buyers would not support me

plus even if my place gets robbed im pretty sure if u called the 911 & tell them that the cow penis store is getting robbed there gonna ask u to say it again
__________________
http://i55.tinypic.com/jujz2q.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #248
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver
Posts: 965
Thanked 410 Times in 85 Posts
I would buy up your entire stock, put it all in a big pot and boil soup and then condense the soup to a very rich brown broth. Then I would invite your mother out for a nice dinner and this would be the first course.
__________________
Give them nothing, but take from them... EVERYTHING!!! - King Leonides


7seven: I really can't stand all these idiots who hit the gym now just because they watched 300 and want to be like a spartan. Case in point, this skinny guy comes into the gym the other day, must have only weighed ~ 140lbs, loads on 2 plates on the bench rack, mutters to himself, for sparta, unracks the barbell and proceeds to drop it directly on his chest.
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #249
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
ae101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: space
Posts: 3,239
Thanked 1,444 Times in 567 Posts
my mother is not here but if u can find her then be my guest, i been looking for her since i was 6yrs old
__________________
http://i55.tinypic.com/jujz2q.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #250
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,886
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$
The last time I checked, Richmond and Vancouver are cities in Canada. And on an international scale, Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary as well as any other major Canadian city all have very large Asian populations: This is the next step in Canadian Culture, whether you like/accept it or not.
Multicultural populations and ethnically segregated populations are dissimilar concepts.

Vancouver has a multicultural population; a person interacts with all ethnicities, regardless of whether they are Caucasian, South Asian, Chinese, South American, etcetera. In Vancouver, to not interact with all ethnicities would be laborious and prohibitive. Toronto and Calgary also have multicultural populations. Canada's past is multicultural; Canada's present is multicultural; and Canada's future is increasingly multicultural.

Richmond has an ethnically segregated population; a faction of the Chinese Canadian population chooses to interact exclusively their own ethnicity, eschewing contact with Caucasian, South Asian, South America, etcetera. In Richmond, this is an easily achievable objective because of the segregation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$
A lot of you on this board who are Chinese said so yourselves that you do not speak Chinese. What does that say about the next generation of Chinese Canadians?

Are some of you still going to hide your racism behind reasons of assimilation?
According to your argument: the current and upcoming generation of Chinese Canadians will hold racist prejudices against other Chinese Canadians, which they'll project under the guise of assimilation. The notion of a person holding racist prejudices against their own ethnicity is absurd. Current Chinese Canadians support of the motion then must not be grounded in racism, but rather unbiased logic. The overwhelming majority of non-Chinese Canadians who support the motion employ the same unbiased logic, and are therefore not the racist or xenophobic either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae101 View Post
questions to ppl that cant read chinese folks:

if i sell cow penis & my sign has no english u guys would complain, but if put in english & said "COW PENIS FOR SALE" would u come in to support my business

if not then why bother with the extra wording when i already know that non-cow penis buyers would not support me

plus even if my place gets robbed im pretty sure if u called the 911 & tell them that the cow penis store is getting robbed there gonna ask u to say it again
No, I have little use for a cow penis.

There's not a store exclusively selling cow penis in Richmond, however, so your argument is irrelevant.

There may be a restaurant serving cow penis in Richmond, but its most certainly served alongside dishes less off-putting to western sensibilities.

I may visit that restaurant.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-20-2013 at 09:43 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net