REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #126
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
I do agree that signs should have english as a dominant language... Even though Canada is a multicultural nation, the national language IS English/French.

What if the sign was French and Chinese, would these activist complain? lol
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #127
RS controls my life!

as a white guy married to a chinese/cambodian. We, as in both myself and my wife, think there is a lack of respect for the canadian official languages. all signs "should" be primarily in either english or french. as long as the company is easily distinguishable in one of those languages then it doesn't matter what else is on the walls, (like menues, specials etc) but the company name should be in either english or french and should be the predominant signage (not some caption underneath a name in a different language) and this should be enforced all throughout canada.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #128
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
I do agree that signs should have english as a dominant language... Even though Canada is a multicultural nation, the national language IS English/French.

What if the sign was French and Chinese, would these activist complain? lol
if you read the sun article she's hoping to have either English or French so, no i dont think she would mind if it were french+chinese
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #129
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

if i cant read the sign, chances are I won't go in. It's their own buisness loss.

I don't want B.C turning into Quebec, cuz well, fuck Quebec and their signage laws.

I don't really care if French is an official language. If it dies, it was meant to. Evolution.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #130
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
So if a restaurant has a sign that says "Good Food Noodles" under the giant chinese characters, are you more likely to go in? Probably not.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #131
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
lol funny thing is i usually steer away from Chinese restaurants with funky Chinese English fonts, like the ones they have in the states.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #132
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Just an observation...
I don't think the Chinese restaurants really care about making more money
from those who can't read their chinese signs and ignore their restaurants.

Their target audience from day one was for chinese customers.
Any one else that tries their food is a bonus.

But the thing is, there's a LOT of chinese restaurants that have English names.
They're probably just too "fobbed" out though, so no one that doesn't speak Chinese
would bother giving it any attention.

I mean, I don't even remember the last time I walked down the street to look at
restaurant names printed on the awnings.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #133
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

They should make a typeface and color theory law first.

What irks me even more are those disgusting choices of typefaces and clashing colors. Yellow on red? Dark green and blue on red? Comic Sans? Good god...

Big Crazy's sign is an absolute travesty to the whatever left of scenery in that area. It's like they made it from MS-Paint or microsoft word (which they probably did), its not like comic sans was the default font either, they purposely chose that font over the default.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #134
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
The bylaw application was rejected.

No changes to Chinese-only signs in Richmond | News1130
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #135
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,253 Posts
^city council

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #136
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 11:08 AM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #137
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Again, no surprises there.
Money talks
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #138
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
So you're saying Chinese restaurant owners don't mind that they have smaller and smaller bonuses coming in every month.

That seems completely logical ....

The owners must have family money or something
Yes, because English signs mean you'll instantly become a regular there and result in such huge profits.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #139
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Yes, because English signs mean you'll instantly become a regular there and result in such huge profits.
if i can at least read the sign, theres a chance i'll go in.

and im pretty sure a 1000 others would feel the same way.

if im in the area, and im hungry, if i cant read the signs, then fuck em, ill go to the first place i know....whether its a mcdonalds, or a sushi restaurant with english signs that shows me that they're at least some what accomodating to non asian people, either way my moneys going towards food, if they want my money, they'll have to make the effort to bring me into their restaurnt first.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #140
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
if i can at least read the sign, theres a chance i'll go in.

and im pretty sure a 1000 others would feel the same way.

if im in the area, and im hungry, if i cant read the signs, then fuck em, ill go to the first place i know....whether its a mcdonalds, or a sushi restaurant with english signs that shows me that they're at least some what accomodating to non asian people, either way my moneys going towards food, if they want my money, they'll have to make the effort to bring me into their restaurnt first.
I'm pretty sure if the restaurant is highly rated by "critics" online or rated 9/10 or above in this thread the menu could be in Mongolian and people will still go crazy over it.

On another thought, the company I work for in Richmond applied for, and received, a signage permit and the Chinese was clearly larger than the English. City Hall doesn't give a crap as most people don't apply for signage permits anyways.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #141
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
I'm pretty sure if the restaurant is highly rated by "critics" online or rated 9/10 or above in this thread the menu could be in Mongolian and people will still go crazy over it.

On another thought, the company I work for in Richmond applied for, and received, a signage permit and the Chinese was clearly larger than the English. City Hall doesn't give a crap as most people don't apply for signage permits anyways.
the restaurant can be rated by the worlds best chef. if i cant clearly read the name of the place due to it being in chinese characters while im walking by trying to deciding where to eat, i simple wouldnt know what it is, and i wouldnt stand there attempting to google the name searching what they have to offer. ill just move on and be more than happy to spend my money elsewhere.

lets face it, im white...sure i like asian/mexican/italian food etc....but if im craving for sushi, and i end up walking into a place, sit down, wait for a menu then find out they dont serve sushi...ive just wasted my time and ill simply walk out until i find a sushi place. (shitty example but im sure you can see what im trying to get at)
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #142
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

The official languages of this country is English and French. I don't see what the big issue is with having some smaller lowercase font in English along with the larger Chinese font, regardless if the name indicates what is being sold there.

Then again, how prevalent is this problem really? a lot of shops have both languages anyways so if its just a few shops, whatever.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 03-18-2013 at 10:31 PM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #143
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn View Post
Of coz is rejected is in Richmond. Try only putting Chinese on sign in Surrey and your store won't last overnight LOL.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #144
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
imo the most common sign in richmond chinese resteraunts: cash only.

at least they have the courtesy to put that in english
Posted via RS Mobile
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #145
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
im asian and with the exception of the all english gun shop sign, i wouldnt be able to read any of those signs with no english on it

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #146
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
there's just one sign that is in full chinese The gun shop's chinese name is right beside it.
and i'm pretty sure if you actually visit that store in full Chinese its pretty self explanatory what it is.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #147
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
there's just one sign that is in full chinese The gun shop's chinese name is right beside it.
and i'm pretty sure if you actually visit that store in full Chinese its pretty self explanatory what it is.
Top left, next to the gun shop, and the others are mostly Chinese. I'll be honest, if I'm driving down 3 rd and I'm trying to avoid the shitty drivers and look at signs (both on canopies and those shitty overhead signs) I'd probably drive back and forth three or four times if I were looking for the Northern Chinese Countryside Restaurant unless I'd already programmed it in to my GPS or somesuch.

Yes. It has English. But is it visible from the street while driving?

Don't take this as a defence of the people who are saying we should have more English signage. I'm neither here nor there really. But in that case for those people who want to know what's in the businesses...kind of a big deal.

To put the shoe on the other foot, however, if we make the English big enough to see from the street, the Chinese will be equally shrunk to unreadability, there by rendering the main method that the primary customers locate the store moot. What then, eh?
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #148
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
To have to actually visit a store to find out what it is would imply that I would have to pull out of the dumb traffic on No. 3 road, actually find a parking spot and get out of my car to find out.

Chances are, if I didn't read Chinese, and I was driving by looking for the nearest (insert general store here), I wouldn't be stopping.
Also, I wouldn't be able to remember off the top of my mind the next time I need to find a specialty store that I've driven past it a dozen times within the past week. Granted, most of these signs in Richmond are for restaurants anyways, but imagine if you WERE an artisan/specialty retailer.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:39 AM   #149
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
I'm also, like many others, basically indifferent to the situation.

All this Chinese-only mentality only serves to strengthen the big Chinatown bubble that is Richmond--and short of changing the mentality of the business owners and patrons that hey--you're in Canada, maybe you should get out of Richmond every once in a while, changing the signs won't help a god damn thing.

But then again, if this means we can keep the Richmond drivers in Richmond only, then I move for a petition to take away all the English signs in Richmond
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:45 AM   #150
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
What is so good about ricemond?

Place sucks.