REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #401
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
So I have two questions.
#1. Should a Chinese-language radio station have their signs and advertisements in english as well.
#2. Do you even know the seahorse brand of mattresses?

If you don't even know that brand of mattresses, why do they even bother advertising it to you? It's like advertising Jay Chou or some famous asian singer to a redneck. What is the point? Because there's english, they're all of a sudden going to buy his CDs?

Anyways, there's no point in trying to change the minds of our caucasian overlords. They've even fooled the natives into believing white culture is canadian culture. They can continue to be angry and realize no one else shares their viewpoints while watching their culture crumble around them. Kind of like christians trying to force their beliefs on everyone and see how that worked out.
my co-worker doesn't speak a single word in chinese knows Jay Chou LOL and loves eating at Chinese restaurant. The only issue he have is that most of the time their menus doesn't have Chinese or it is so poorly written he can't understand a thing.
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:23 AM   #402
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
What the fuck are you talking about?

Natives haven't been "fooled" by anyone, they are human beings, and they still value their ancestry greatly. I didn't even know that there was a caucasian way of life, so how could it be crumbling around me? I know that I like enjoying the outdoors, having BBQ's, working on cars, and hanging out with friends, but those aren't racially exclusive activities, are they? If you know of any specific "white people" activities, please enlighten me, because I find that my "white life" corresponds with what a lot of other people like to do in this country (and around the world).

You're attaching english to caucasians like it's the 16th century, times have changed, and so has the english language. English no longer has a jurisdiction, and it does not belong to anyone of any race, it's simply a language that is used by many in many different countries. If mandarin was Canada's official language, I would be speaking it, but it's not. This is why I find this english debate rediculous, as it does not pertain to any race at all, and yet many seem to take it as such.

We speak english and french here, mostly english, therefore I find it offensive that some people choose to completely disregard it when they CHOOSE to move here.

Your post is indirectly racist and you should feel bad.
You mad.

I was pointing out the main group of people complaining about chinese signs are:
1. Caucasians (eg. Skinnypupp, Stewie, Dinosaur, etc
2. Natives (eg. Mindbomber, You, etc)
3. People who don't have a second language other than english

If you want to be included in something? Learn the language. If you're not willing to do it, means you never really cared enough about it in the first place. Don't pull the "waaahhh wahhhh but I was here first!!!". If it is beneficial for you to do so, then learn the language. No one has to speak english to you if they don't want to. In fact, no one has to even speak to you if they don't want to.

Going onto the point about the natives... The first nations have been fooled since the birth of Canada. The government gives them the false impression that they have any power within Canada when really no one gives a rat's ass about the first nations. Sure the government throws them a bone here and there. (eg. Lip service for Vancouver olympics, when half the country is thinking wtf is with all this native themed crap during the opening ceremonies). The day that the first nations people realize this, is the day they can move forward and stop trying to ask for handouts. It just isn't going to happen especially from a caucasian conservative christian PM who is catering to the caucasian majority.

If you don't think it's true, see where the idle no more movement has gone. Nowhere. Like every other first nation protest.

Bottom line is even in this day and age, racism, especially amongst caucasians hasn't been stamped out. Just recently when I was looking into real estate in Abby, my realtor literally told me her caucasian clients don't like indian neighborhoods. So much for not racist am I right? Abbotsford is really a good case study because there is clearly segregation from both sides. So don't just blame immigrants. There are two sides to every coin.

Segregation is a self-fulfilling prophecy because on one hand you have immigrants who want an easier transition into society, and on the other hand you have these bigots who feel they are superior to immigrants and segregate themselves out of these cultural enclaves.

So the question I have for you all is. How did Richmond become the new China? It was a combination of white folks leaving the area due to all the chinese influx and chinese going to where their culture was flourishing. Unless you're telling me all these caucasians living there just went to paint their skin yellow, or just disappeared off the face of the world? They happily took the chinese money and bought properties in caucasian neighborhoods so they can continue with their anglo-saxon cultures.

Last edited by twdm; 03-27-2013 at 02:34 AM.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #403
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
When in the fucking fuck did I "complain about chinese signs?"

I haven't even been to Richmond in over 5 years.

Reading ability FTW
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #404
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
You mad.

I was pointing out the main group of people complaining about chinese signs are:

If you want to be included in something? Learn the language. If you're not willing to do it, means you never really cared enough about it in the first place. Don't pull the "waaahhh wahhhh but I was here first!!!". If it is beneficial for you to do so, then learn the language. No one has to speak english to you if they don't want to. In fact, no one has to even speak to you if they don't want to.

Going onto the point about the natives... The first nations have been fooled since the birth of Canada. The government gives them the false impression that they have any power within Canada when really no one gives a rat's ass about the first nations. Sure the government throws them a bone here and there. (eg. Lip service for Vancouver olympics, when half the country is thinking wtf is with all this native themed crap during the opening ceremonies). The day that the first nations people realize this, is the day they can move forward and stop trying to ask for handouts. It just isn't going to happen especially from a caucasian conservative christian PM who is catering to the caucasian majority.

If you don't think it's true, see where the idle no more movement has gone. Nowhere. Like every other first nation protest.
First Nations people have at no point accepted a marginalized position within Canada. Furthermore, Idle No More is still very much active; I was at a well-attended and successful event last week. The Idle No More movement has been an overwhelming success, although you may not see the changes. A recent First Nations victory occurred through a supreme court ruling, which radically extends who qualifies for status.

Quote:
Bottom line is even in this day and age, racism, especially amongst caucasians hasn't been stamped out. Just recently when I was looking into real estate in Abby, my realtor literally told me her caucasian clients don't like indian neighborhoods. So much for not racist am I right? Abbotsford is really a good case study because there is clearly segregation from both sides. So don't just blame immigrants. There are two sides to every coin.

Segregation is a self-fulfilling prophecy because on one hand you have immigrants who want an easier transition into society, and on the other hand you have these bigots who feel they are superior to immigrants and segregate themselves out of these cultural enclaves.
Your information sources aren't very reputable. Abbotsford has predominantly Caucasian and South Asian neighborhoods, but the majority are very diverse. Abbotsford's neighborhoods that are predominantly one ethnicity can be clearly explained through more supportable reasons than racism and xenophobia.

West Abbotsford's South Asian neighborhoods are concentrated around the Kalgidhar Darbar temple, which is a major attraction of sikhs to the area. The homes all have basement suites, which has a greater appeal to South Asians than Caucasians. The homes favor square footage over outdoor space, which again appeals more to South Asians than Caucasians, because of the different family structures.

East Abbotsford's Caucasian neighborhoods are concentrated around Abby Christian, which has two large campuses and a reflective student body. The homes tend to be older here; unlike the other side of town, they do not have suites and they have large yards.

Once you're further from the religious centers, the neighborhoods become very diverse. I live in East Abbotsford and have a number of South Asian neighbors; I have friends in West Abbotsford and they're Caucasian and Middle Eastern with South Asian neighbors.

My position is easily supportable: search Abbotsford basement suites on Craigslist, search Abbotsford homes on MLS and compare the average square footage, search for the locations of religious centers, or just drive around Abbotsford on a sunny afternoon and see how diverse the communities are.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-27-2013 at 07:29 AM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #405
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 01:40 PM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #406
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
You mad.

So the question I have for you all is. How did Richmond become the new China? It was a combination of white folks leaving the area due to all the chinese influx and chinese going to where their culture was flourishing. Unless you're telling me all these caucasians living there just went to paint their skin yellow, or just disappeared off the face of the world? They happily took the chinese money and bought properties in caucasian neighborhoods so they can continue with their anglo-saxon cultures.
Getting reeeeal tired of reading this crap.

People didn't leave Richmond, the population increased. Between 1980 and 2005, the population of Richmond doubled. Richmond was a sleepy farm city with a fairly low population on a flood plain....hell, until recently, people didn't build basements because of the high water table. So, quit acting like a bunch of white people packed up and left town when the first boat of Chinese people showed up.

Furthermore, stop assuming that every Caucasian person is a racist or xenophobe because of the imperialistic actions of our forefathers....or because a realtor from Abby told you that.

Nobody here is screaming, "I was here first" or any other fictitious bullshit you have seem to conjured from reading what you WANT to see and not what people are actually writing. In fact, the simple comment you made about 'nobody giving a shit about FN people' is an absolute insult. Don't think for 2 seconds that that is true. Maybe you and the people you associate with do not, but don't blanket statement everyone else.

I find it ironic how you use to exact same model of segregation and make it OK for one ethnicity to do and not the other. A minority ethnicity does it, it is okay because they want to feel comfortable....some caucasians do it, they are bigots. I'm not saying what is right or wrong. I personally like to live in a mixed community. I don't feel the need to segregate...from anyone. I don't buy houses, travel to places, or even rent to people who are one a specific ethnicity or race and I am offended that you assume that because I am of european decent, I do.

And, don't tell me you don't. Every post that you have made is dripping in racism and your own xenophobia. It is offensive. If you don't want people to judge you by the colour or your skin, the language you speak, and the country you or your family is from, stop doing it to others.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #407
Banned (ABWS)

So when was the last time you donated to the first nations' cause. Were you there beating your drums along with the other natives?

Talk is cheap. There are quite a few homeless first nations in Van, but I have yet to see anyone stop to help them, yet somehow everyone cares about them.

In fact we care so much that we stick them on shitty pieces of land without support and expect them to do well. The willy wonka meme would fit perfectly here. Tell me all about how much you care about first nations welfare.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #408
Banned (ABWS)

I have no issues with the racial segregation in Abby. They can do whatever they want because it doesn't affect my life. I don't feel the need to feel all superior and dictate what their lives are like.

I am pointing out that many caucasians buy because they dont want to live in Indian neighborhoods. When one realtor says it, it's heresay, but when multiple realtors say it along with coworkers who have lived in abby for decades, then there must be some truth to the claims.

Deny it all you want, but english is no longer the dominant language in BC. Money talks and unfortunately when the have nots try to dictate what others do, it never works out for them

.s. I dont get how idle no more had anything to do with the metis status issue or any other status issue. It was a matter before the courts, and no drum beating would've changed the outcome. So don't make up fake wins for a powerless cause.

Last edited by twdm; 03-27-2013 at 10:30 AM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #409
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
So when was the last time you donated to the first nations' cause. Were you there beating your drums along with the other natives?

Talk is cheap. There are quite a few homeless first nations in Van, but I have yet to see anyone stop to help them, yet somehow everyone cares about them.

In fact we care so much that we stick them on shitty pieces of land without support and expect them to do well. The willy wonka meme would fit perfectly here. Tell me all about how much you care about first nations welfare.
even though i said fuck this thread, i just wanna say something.

you say you've yet to see someone stop and help a first nations person in van....did you sit on a park bench for 24 hours and watch? or is this just based on what you see when you drive by and see them with a sign and nobody dropping money in their hat?

just cause people dont throw 100$ bills at them doesn't mean they dont care...i personally dont give them money because i think it will go to drugs. doesnt mean i dont care about them though. i would love to see them get the help they need to get their lives back on track.

those shitty pieces of land you said we throw them on with no support...

they get "no support" from the gov. just by living on the reserves, they get a credit for living up north, they get a credit for being a status indian, a credit for gst even though they dont pay gst, they get a child tax credit, a care child credit. the "no support" they get can give them easily 4000$ a month from all the credits offered to them.

Last edited by stewie; 03-27-2013 at 11:06 AM.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #410
Banned By Establishment

Quote:

As I had nicely point out before: You don't know me. You don't know my history. You don't know what I do, what I have done, and what I am involved in.

For you to sit here and spout of your judgement of others while critiquing that very same occurrence is disgusting. I feel sorry for you.

Last edited by dinosaur; 03-27-2013 at 01:11 PM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #411
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:

A homeless persons' ethnicity does not affect their immediate needs.

Simply speaking out on social networks to inform people that prejudice perceptions are not accurate is all the support anyone is expected to give, there's no need to donate to causes or attend gatherings. People have busy schedules, limited finances, and that's totally cool.

Quote:
I have no issues with the racial segregation in Abby. They can do whatever they want because it doesn't affect my life. I don't feel the need to feel all superior and dictate what their lives are like.

I am pointing out that many caucasians buy because they dont want to live in Indian neighborhoods. When one realtor says it, it's heresay, but when multiple realtors say it along with coworkers who have lived in abby for decades, then there must be some truth to the claims.

Deny it all you want, but english is no longer the dominant language in BC. Money talks and unfortunately when the have nots try to dictate what others do, it never works out for them

.s. I dont get how idle no more had anything to do with the metis status issue or any other status issue. It was a matter before the courts, and no drum beating would've changed the outcome. So don't make up fake wins for a powerless cause.
There is no racial segregation in Abbotsford, your claims are unsupported by anything beyond hersay because they're unsupportable.

English is the dominant language in British Columbia, there are few communities in the province where not speaking it would be the slightest possibility.

You claimed, a First Nations protest has never achieved anything. I refuted that claim by citing a First Nation supreme court victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
even though i said fuck this thread, i just wanna say something.

you say you've yet to see someone stop and help a first nations person in van....did you sit on a park bench for 24 hours and watch? or is this just based on what you see when you drive by and see them with a sign and nobody dropping money in their hat?

just cause people dont throw 100$ bills at them doesn't mean they dont care...i personally dont give them money because i think it will go to drugs. doesnt mean i dont care about them though. i would love to see them get the help they need to get their lives back on track.

those shitty pieces of land you that we throw them on with no support...

they get "no support" from the gov. just by living on the reserves, they get a credit for living up north, they get a credit for being a status indian, a credit for gst even though they dont pay gst, they get a child tax credit, a care child credit. the "no support" they get can give them easily 4000$ a month from all the credits offered to them.
The first portion of your post, totally valid.

The second portion, has a couple inaccuracies.

The thread isn't about First Nations issues, however, so I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-27-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #412
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
The first portion of your post, totally valid.

The second portion, has a couple inaccuracies.

The thread isn't about First Nations issues, however, so I'll leave it at that.
can you pm me which ones are wrong? just so i know :s im only going from what im told from my gf's father whos full native :s

but yes, this thread is not about first nations. back on topic.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #413
Banned (ABWS)

Dispute it all you want, but you must be blind if you can't see the racial segregation. When realtors can name which streets are populated by EI's and which areas are populated by caucasians, then there is clearly segregation.

By the way, throwing money at them is not support. Helping them develop jobs, etc is support.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #414
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:

Many people buy (or don't buy) in different neighbourhoods for a variety of reasons. That doesn't mean it's solely a Caucasian thing. And it doesn't mean it's a racism thing.

And for the record, racism transcends all demographics around the world. The saying that only white people are capable of being racist is hugely unfounded.

Quote:
I'll gladly deny it.

Census Profile

Of the 4,356,205 people in BC surveyed for Stats Can, 3,062,435 individuals said that English is their native tongue.

Not sure what your definition of "dominant" is...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #415
Banned (ABWS)

The court victories had nothing to do with protests. It's either you're right or wrong within the context of legal documents. Protests don't change the legality of anything.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #416
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts

Chinese only bus ads appear in Vancouver | Vancity Buzz | Vancouver Blog

Old 03-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #417
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Many people buy (or don't buy) in different neighbourhoods for a variety of reasons. That doesn't mean it's solely a Caucasian thing. And it doesn't mean it's a racism thing.

And for the record, racism transcends all demographics around the world. The saying that only white people are capable of being racist is hugely unfounded.

I'll gladly deny it.

Census Profile

Of the 4,356,205 people in BC surveyed for Stats Can, 3,062,435 individuals said that English is their native tongue.

Not sure what your definition of "dominant" is...
Dominant as in being able to dictate how people live, eg. Not able to live without.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #418
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Dominant as in being able to dictate how people live, eg. Not able to live without.
Posted via RS Mobile
I genuinely have no idea what you're on about.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #419
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Dispute it all you want, but you must be blind if you can't see the racial segregation. When realtors can name which streets are populated by EI's and which areas are populated by caucasians, then there is clearly segregation.

By the way, throwing money at them is not support. Helping them develop jobs, etc is support.
You're resorting to ad hominems again, because you're unable to defend your arguments otherwise.

How do you explain the neighborhoods, like mine, like my friends, which are equally South Asian and Caucasian?

How do you respond to the evidence which shows, Abbotsford community demographics are a response to amenities and not a form of segregation?

First Nations people have access to Aboriginal Support Workers in elementary, high school, and university to promote success and connection to culture.

Quote:
The court victories had nothing to do with protests. It's either you're right or wrong within the context of legal documents. Protests don't change the legality of anything.
Posted via RS Mobile
Protests are actions expressing disapproval and advocating change.

By that definition, legal challenges are a form of protest.

Do you only define standing and yelling in streets protests?

The events of the Oka Crisis were along those lines, and it was very successful.

Stewie -

I got your PM, I'll message you back a bit later.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-27-2013 at 01:45 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #420
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
You mad.

Where do I start...

I'm Caucasian, not Native American, though I respect them like any other human being.

I have no interest in learning any of the Chinese languages / dialects, the argument was that it was disrespectful to come here without even trying to learn English before hand. Again, it's not because I'm Caucasian, it's because that's what our official language is, and I respect my own country. I would not expect anyone to cater to me if I moved to China, I would learn to speak whichever language the area uses, out of RESPECT.

Natives have as much power as any other human being in this country, they can do whatever I can do, and I think that any restriction of that would be against everyone's interests. I care about them as much as I care about anyone else that I come across, I was taught not to discriminate when I was young.

I don't know where you came up with the segregation comment, as I never brought it up in my post. I asked you if you could point out anything that Caucasians do that members of other races don't in this country, excluding religion.

Again, you're referencing a Caucasian way of life where one does not exist, Richmond converted into what it is because the people who were there before hand knew they could make a quick buck from selling the land. It does not mean that they were racist, it meant that they saw an opportunity and took it. Your argument about the growth of Richmond relating to Chinese immigrants is correct, they will move to where they feel the most comfortable, and that has been Richmond.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #421
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
that bus thing is crossing the line.
I'm offended because I don't read simplified
Old 03-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #422
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
Natives have as much power as any other human being in this country, they can do whatever I can do.
actually, they can do more than you can do. lol. you are below them in some aspects of power
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #423
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
actually, they can do more than you can do. lol. you are below them in some aspects of power
EDIT.

Actually, forget it.

We have argued FN issues a significant amount on this forum and this thread isn't turning into another debate.

Last edited by dinosaur; 03-27-2013 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Changed my mind.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #424
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I think I have far more respect for mankind than national boundaries drawn up by people, and whatever languages they speak inside.

I have yet to meet a single non-English native immigrant who doesn't wish his/her English was better. They are limited by their ability, not arrogance.

We are all sharing this little place called earth, it's nice to be more humble and kind to each other.

Good to watch the following video every now to keep our sanity.

observer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #425
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
The way I see it, if I move to a country other than an one that speaks mostly English, I would learn the language not expect the country to accommodate my lack of knowledge....this is what you do on vacation, why be any different when moving to that place?

I don't personally care if a sign has a different language on it. I know English and French, if neither of those are on there I don't read it. If its a real estate ad then I guess they will lose me as a possible customer, if its a menu I guess I will go somewhere else.
I DO have a problem if things like street signs or general public signs have no English on them.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote