REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #176
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPoola View Post
Doesn't matter what you answer, nothing counts until you are faced with that situation.
Agreed. You'll never know until you are in that situation.
Advertisement
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #177
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Some experts were discussing that on tv just now they believed it was possible for this pilot to land it in the water but noted that it was at night and suggested that would make it unlikely
Let's not forget reports that the plane may have turned around before it disappeared... if that's so, depending on how far it got, it may have been back over land. Given the subtropical jungles in that part of the world, any debris (IF there is any) may be well camouflaged.

And yes, there's always the chance the plane set down somewhere outside the search area, or is even being intentionally hidden (hey, we're getting into the realm of James Bond here, but why not?)

Fact is, nobody knows yet where it went down, how it went down, or even IF it went down... only that it disappeared from radar and all contact was lost. Among all the other speculation, you might just as well add...

Spoiler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #178
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
A 777 could glide for about 20 minutes without 2 engines but factor weather conditions, weight from the fuel which takes some to dump, passenger load and cargo plus the time of day it would be very unlikely you would be able to land a 777 on water without it ripping a part. Here;s what would most likely happen if a water landing was attempted on a large plane like the 777;

And the miracle on the Hudson was just that, a miracle.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2014, 10:44 PM   #179
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHB View Post
Another point my Dad made was if this was an act of terrorism, why hasn't any one claimed to be responsible?
I don't recall Bin Ladin and the Al Qaeda claiming responsibility for 9/11. Well not at least till Oct 2004 but definitely not right away. Not sure if its the strategy for terrorist or if they actually did it or not, they usually don't claim their acts.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:48 PM   #180
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
actually the MO is they usually do claim responsibility
that's also one of the points that the truthers use in their claim of inside job
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #181
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts

This is like some modern day "Bermuda Triangle" mystery...
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #182
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Malaysia Air saying they are considering the possibility of a turn back and hostage situation.

At this point, I don't know what to think of anymore.

Apparently, this is the area that the plane would've been able to travel to
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:06 PM   #183
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
I'm sorry, but this article just screams "written by someone with no concept of technology". Just because the author thinks it should be possible, doesn't mean it is possible. You might be able to get wifi on a domestic flight, but I doubt both the ability for a system like this to work in an area such as this, and the difficulty in getting the tech into the field in large-scale use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Some experts were discussing that on tv just now they believed it was possible for this pilot to land it in the water but noted that it was at night and suggested that would make it unlikely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Something similar (at least initially) happened with a plane that nose-dived into the Everglades several years ago: the whole thing was essentially swallowed by the swamp, with practically no floating debris and almost no visible impact crater.

Other cases have had planes going down in thick jungles that literally close back in over them, making the wrecks extremely difficult to find.
What if it went down into land-locked water? I'm not overly familiar with all of the geography of the area, but if one of the following happened, it would be pretty hard to find (due to the lack of obvious debris fields and craters/fire):

1) Pilot attempts to put down into a remote lake for whatever reason, plane shreds like that Ethiopian highjacking. By now the debris would likely all be pushed to the shores making it even harder to find.
2) Plane explodes over the jungle, debris rains down into dense bush which basically just absorbs it.
3) Combo of 1 & 2, plane explodes and debris lands mostly in lakes.

edit: after reading that wiki article on ValuJet 592, if it went down nose first into the jungle, you'd have a hell of a time finding it unless someone witnessed it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #184
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Malaysia Air saying they are considering the possibility of a turn back and hostage situation.

At this point, I don't know what to think of anymore.

Apparently, this is the area that the plane would've been able to travel to
that is IF it remained at cruising altitude which it probably didn't considering the fact that it fell off radar
Old 03-09-2014, 11:46 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
that is IF it remained at cruising altitude which it probably didn't considering the fact that it fell off radar
Possibly a stupid question, but could it have gone higher? I'm assuming cruising height isn't the max altitude, is there a cutoff height for radar?

edit: according to Sky News: "Vietnam has confirmed it is sending helicopters to check a floating "yellow object" that it is thought could be a life raft from the missing Malaysia Airlines plane."

edit 2: "Civil aviation officials in Vietnam say the yellow object spotted floating in the sea is not a life raft from the missing Malaysia Airlines flight."
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:

Last edited by underscore; 03-10-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:02 AM   #186
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
BREAKING: Report: Vietnam Helicopters To Check Sighting of Possible Life Raft From Missing Jet
EmperorIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:08 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Possibly a stupid question, but could it have gone higher? I'm assuming cruising height isn't the max altitude, is there a cutoff height for radar?

edit: according to Sky News: "Vietnam has confirmed it is sending helicopters to check a floating "yellow object" that it is thought could be a life raft from the missing Malaysia Airlines plane."

edit 2: "Civil aviation officials in Vietnam say the yellow object spotted floating in the sea is not a life raft from the missing Malaysia Airlines flight."
Max altitude really depends on weight, winds and surrounding traffic. Pilot would have requested an altitude increase if he needed to go higher.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2014, 01:15 AM   #188
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I believe the Air france, brazil to france crash in 2009 took 2 years for the plane to be found. this might be one of those situations where we wont know for a long time.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:17 AM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
BREAKING: Report: Vietnam Helicopters To Check Sighting of Possible Life Raft From Missing Jet
Confirmed it isn't a life raft
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-10-2014, 01:26 AM   #190
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Could it be possible that hijackers have forced the plane to land in areas familiar to many terrorist organizations such as Southern Philippines and parts of Indonesia, Malaysia, or even Burma?

Maybe if that did happened they have the plane and hostages hidden somewhere and are extorting the Airline Company, Malay Government or someone else for ransom or other reasons?
Ball.J.Inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:36 AM   #191
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Very unlikely, air traffic controllers would know if a huge plane is going to land in an airport that has a big enough runway.

I'd say it's almost certainly crashed and we won't know for a while what really happened.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:39 AM   #192
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball.J.Inder View Post
Could it be possible that hijackers have forced the plane to land in areas familiar to many terrorist organizations such as Southern Philippines and parts of Indonesia, Malaysia, or even Burma?

Maybe if that did happened they have the plane and hostages hidden somewhere and are extorting the Airline Company, Malay Government or someone else for ransom or other reasons?
yeah, definitely.

bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2014, 03:42 AM   #193

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
If your passport was stolen, how long would it take you to notice and then report it? It's not like the passport gets flagged the instant someone steals it.
italian and austiran passports stolen in Thailand, i'm going to assume they were owned by vacationers or at least people who would need their passport on a more than regular basis - so pretty soon.

just so you know, most people in the world cross borders, i ALWAYS know where my passport is, as i usually need it on a bimonthly basis, especially if i'm travelling with it, i'll always know where it is.

so to answer your questions - days at most.

and, interpol knew about the stolen passports, so not even sure why you're trying to argue a point
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:03 AM   #194
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball.J.Inder View Post

it's not easy to hide the sights and sounds of a 200 ton airplane
Old 03-10-2014, 04:37 AM   #195

Asked to clarify the appearance of passengers on stolen passports, Malaysia’s civil aviation chief Azharuddin Abdul Rahman bizarrely suggested they looked like the black Italian footballer Mario Balotelli.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #196
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Hong Kong's Air Traffic Control Center reported on Mar 10th 2014 around 17:30L (09:30Z) that an airliner enroute on airway L642 reported via HF radio that they saw a large field of debris at position N9.72 E107.42 about 80nm southeast of Ho Chi Minh City, about 50nm off the south-eastern coast of Vietnam in the South China Sea and about 281nm northeast of the last known radar position. Ships have been dispatched to the reported debris field.

Crash: Malaysia B772 over Gulf of Thailand on Mar 8th 2014, aircraft missing
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #197
Banned (ABWS)

There were two ukranians and a russian on the plane......
Just saying
maksimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #198

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
Asked to clarify the appearance of passengers on stolen passports, Malaysia’s civil aviation chief Azharuddin Abdul Rahman bizarrely suggested they looked like the black Italian footballer Mario Balotelli.
and yet the true stolen italian passport owner is white, guess they could add a new photo (not sure how easy that is), but still

it's all so weird
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #199
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
HF worked lol

80nm from ho chi Minh and on a low airway... Why didn't they report to ho,chi Minh

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #200

^ not in range yet from the sounds of it.

Apparently they've ID'd one of the people who used a stolen passport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
italian and austiran passports stolen in Thailand, i'm going to assume they were owned by vacationers or at least people who would need their passport on a more than regular basis - so pretty soon.

just so you know, most people in the world cross borders, i ALWAYS know where my passport is, as i usually need it on a bimonthly basis, especially if i'm travelling with it, i'll always know where it is.

so to answer your questions - days at most.

and, interpol knew about the stolen passports, so not even sure why you're trying to argue a point
I was initially under the impression that they had been recently stolen, in which case days or even hours are long enough to use the passport to get somewhere. Since they had been stolen 18 months before it seems pretty weak that they didn't get caught using them.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by: