REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #276
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Here's the thing: RADAR doesn't tell anyone what plane it's showing, it just shows an object. They could have picked up a different plane on a similar course and an operator mistook it for the airliner in question.

In fact, there seems to be a little confusion as to exactly how RADAR works: all it does is send out a pulse of radio waves, and IF some are reflected back, it calculates the distance the object is by the time it takes the signal to return. Speed toward or away from the array can be determined by Doppler shift; speed perpendicular to the array can be determined by position change between sweeps.

As has been already noted, civilian RADAR has an effective maximum distance of 120 miles or so - this is because radio waves disperse over distance... same as shining a flashlight on distant trees. The further the object, the weaker the signal, the less reliable it gets. You can get more range with a tighter beam, but at the expense of coverage area and only being able to scan a small area (picture a flashlight you can focus from a wide beam to a narrow spot).

The plane's own RADAR systems have nothing to do with their tracking on the ground; those are there to show the plane's crew what's around it in the sky.
Not 100% true there Soundy. Your explanation of Radar is spot on but there are ways for it to correctly identify which plane is which. It all depends on the type of transponder that the aircraft has, be in mode A, C, or S. Mode A; if I remember correctly just fires back a target with altitude to the radar station. Mode C you'll get speed, altitude. Mode S you get pretty much errthang concerning the aircraft.

That being said, the aircraft was, 99% chance, out of any sort of radar converage. Missed a couple mandatory reporting points. Shit went down. It fell out of the sky. Errone dead. End of story.
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #277
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I know the basics of how it works, but I could've sworn someone mentioned earlier that the planes systems also send info to the ground IDing the plane and giving more accurate info.

edit: maybe radar isn't the correct term for the system I'm thinking of. Is there one that does what I described?
That would probably be the ADS-B system Amuro Ray referred to back on page 10. The plane gets its own position from GPS receivers, and relays that back, typically via VHF radio... basically like someone getting on the mic and saying, "Our coordinates are blah blah blah blah", but automated.

If the radio systems go down, though, then the plane has to way to transmit that information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #278
Rs has made me the man i am today!

From CNN

Quote:
The Malaysian Air Force has traced the last known location of Malaysia Airlines flight 370 to Pulau Perak, a very small island in the Straits of Malacca and hundreds of miles from the usual Kuala Lumpur to Beijing flight path, according to a senior Malaysian Air Force official. The official declined to be named because he is not authorized to speak to the media.

If the Malaysian Air Force data cited by the source is correct, the aircraft was flying the opposite direction from its scheduled destination and on the opposite side of the Malay Peninsula from its scheduled route.

Previous accounts had the aircraft losing touch with air traffic control near the coast of Vietnam.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Not 100% true there Soundy. Your explanation of Radar is spot on but there are ways for it to correctly identify which plane is which. It all depends on the type of transponder that the aircraft has, be in mode A, C, or S. Mode A; if I remember correctly just fires back a target with altitude to the radar station. Mode C you'll get speed, altitude. Mode S you get pretty much errthang concerning the aircraft.
I was over-simplifying, of course... but as with other methods, IDENTIFYING the plane still relies on the plane's own systems working properly. RADAR by itself can only tell you there's an object there, and some basic information about its position and trajectory.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #280

ADS-B is still a looooooooong ways off from being "put into production". US isn't having it mandatory until about 2020 and the EU is saying 2017 (and only for big planes). Info taken from Wiki.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #281
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
Thanks Soundy, you answered my question about the systems (despite me bungling up which is which)

So assuming those systems stopped working on the plane (seeing as the other people stopped receiving it), when the military radar picked up the plane at 02:40L I presume they would've just seen a big blip with none of the other info they should normally get from a jet. This explains why it took them a while to sort out that the blip they saw was the missing plane, but what I'm wondering is this: what action would the military take if they pick up a big, unidentified plane in their airspace?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #282

Quote:
Thanks Soundy, you answered my question about the systems (despite me bungling up which is which)

So assuming those systems stopped working on the plane (seeing as the other people stopped receiving it), when the military radar picked up the plane at 02:40L I presume they would've just seen a big blip with none of the other info they should normally get from a jet. This explains why it took them a while to sort out that the blip they saw was the missing plane, but what I'm wondering is this: what action would the military take if they pick up a big, unidentified plane in their airspace?
Very dependant upon the country. I mean look at that plane that the Russians shot down in the 80's? As a rule of thumb the military isn't going to shoot a plane down the moment it gets within its airspace without permission. If it enters the airspace they would most likely send up a couple fighters, who would then fly up alongside and try communicating with the jet (every pilot in the world must know their intercept orders, or have a copy with them). If they can't communicate then theoretically they would shoot it down.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #283

Quote:
Very dependant upon the country. I mean look at that plane that the Russians shot down in the 80's? As a rule of thumb the military isn't going to shoot a plane down the moment it gets within its airspace without permission. If it enters the airspace they would most likely send up a couple fighters, who would then fly up alongside and try communicating with the jet (every pilot in the world must know their intercept orders, or have a copy with them). If they can't communicate then theoretically they would shoot it down.
I know they wouldn't be likely to just shoot it down right away, but it was nighttime and the systems were most likely quite messed up. It could be pretty difficult to communicate with the passenger jet in that sort of situation, I'm not saying it definitely got shot down but I wouldn't rule out the possibility given the circumstances.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 03-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #284
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Pilot let's terrorists into cockpit on his own accord due to them being tourists

"Tourists" take over plane turn it back towards Malaysia

Tourists make demands heading back towards major cities

Shoot down plane over water/jungle

Release info slow due to not knowing how to deal with situation
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #285
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Pilot let's terrorists into cockpit on his own accord due to them being tourists

"Tourists" take over plane turn it back towards Malaysia

Tourists make demands heading back towards major cities

Shoot down plane over water/jungle

Release info slow due to not knowing how to deal with situation
Posted via RS Mobile
The copilot once before let two decent looking girls into the cockpit that he was flirting with on the ground before the flight. The chances he would randomly let two men from Iran into the cockpit are a lot slimmer.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #286

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
The copilot once before let two decent looking girls into the cockpit that he was flirting with on the ground before the flight. The chances he would randomly let two men from Iran into the cockpit are a lot slimmer.
They wanted his D
Old 03-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #287
I STILL don't get it

The girls just wanted to take a peek at his cockpit

bobola is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #288

Quote:
...what action would the military take if they pick up a big, unidentified plane in their airspace?
Quote:
Very dependant upon the country.
Also dependent on their capabilities... did reports not say it was the Malaysian military that tracked the blip? Do they HAVE fighter jets?
Quote:
Old 03-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #289

I believe it said Malaysian, but that was only one report and they might have just assumed it was Malaysia.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #290
SardaukarMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Also dependent on their capabilities... did reports not say it was the Malaysian military that tracked the blip? Do they HAVE fighter jets?
According to Wikipedia:

Royal Malaysian Air Force
Su-30 x18
MiG-29 x10
F/A-18 x8
BAE Hawk x13
F-5 x13

Vietnam People's Air Force
Su-30 x 24
Su-27 x12
Su-22 x38
MiG-21 x144

So yeah, enough there to deal with a "rogue" 777. Not that I believe that they would have shot down the airliner without any clear indication of danger to personal and national safety.

As for the other countries around there:

Royal Cambodian Air Force
MiG-21 x20

Royal Thai Air Force
Gripen x12
F-16A/B x54
F-5 x34
Alpha Jet x19

Myanmar Air Force
Chengdu F-7 x25
MiG-29 x26

Indonesian Air Force
Su-27 x5
Su-30 x11
F-16 x10
Hawk x23
F-5 x11
Super Tucano x4

And just for kicks:

Republic of Singapore Air Force
F-15SG x24
F-16 x74
F-5 x49

Posted via RS Mobile
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #291
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
It's not being "hung up from the other end", it's just not connecting. The ringing in cell phones is faked anyways, it's not like old land line to land line where the ring you heard was the other persons phone ringing, it's just there to let you know it's trying to make the call. Have you never tried calling someones cell after they misplaced it? You get ringing for a second or two before their phone starts going off. Do you really think the plane was landed somewhere within range of cell towers by people who wouldn't bother to take everyone's phones and shut them off/destroy them?

To verify that, I just tried to call my personal cell phone (which is off) from my work cell phone. I'll get ringing despite the other phone definitely not being connected.
that was my misunderstanding. when they said "hang up" i thought that meant someone actually picked up the call and then disconnected, whereas the earlier posts only mentioned the phone was just ringing.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #292
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
I've been reading about this from the beginning and the best theory I've seen is that the plane was shot down by the military and the Malaysian government is covering it up, hence all the confusion and misinformation.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #293
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
I've been reading about this from the beginning and the best theory I've seen is that the plane was shot down by the military and the Malaysian government is covering it up, hence all the confusion and misinformation.
Maybe it was shot down by N.Korea.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #294
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Possibly - but what was the reason for shooting it down? Was it indeed hijacked?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #295
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Possibly - but what was the reason for shooting it down? Was it indeed hijacked?
I believe it went along the lines of the airplane failing to communicate with fighter jets resulting in it being shot down on fear of it being hijacked.

But the only thing is that if it was indeed shot down, I'm sure it would've been noticed by someone.
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #296
SardaukarMod

Quote:
I believe it went along the lines of the airplane failing to communicate with fighter jets resulting in it being shot down on fear of it being hijacked.

But the only thing is that if it was indeed shot down, I'm sure it would've been noticed by someone.
Depending on where it gets shot down though. If it's over the middle of Malaysia, maybe no one.

For reference, Kuala Lumpur is the heavily populated purple zone on West side of the Malaysian peninsula on the left.

Posted via RS Mobile
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #297
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
I agree with this.

Maybe or maybe not Malaysian but one of the governments must be involved.
Posted via RS Mobile
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #298

Aaaaaand here we go:

snopes.com: Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370

View Screen Capture
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #299
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
Depending on where it gets shot down though. If it's over the middle of Malaysia, maybe no one.

For reference, Kuala Lumpur is the heavily populated purple zone on West side of the Malaysian peninsula on the left.

Posted via RS Mobile
That's a good point. I just wanted to bring it up since it seemed like it could've been a possible refute.

I know right now they're looking at the Straits of Malacca, and as far as I know, it's a popular trading route. I think if anything happened there, someone would've saw it for sure.

I believe with all the misinformation and with what the government is saying in press releases that they're simply designating different areas as a decoy, e.g. Gulf of Thailand -> South China Sea -> Strait of Malacca, in order to buy time.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #300
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:

I see no reason to shoot down a jet that's not communicating over open water. If there's no immediate danger to anyone (like a city or populated area) then why not try to keep communicating until such time that there is a risk to someone? If they refuse to change course or acknowledge and they're getting close to a populated area, then shoot them down at the last minute. In which case the chance it was visible to someone would go way up.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote