REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Trader Joe's (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708448-trader-joes.html)

MG1 08-20-2023 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG (Post 9107077)
Spoiler!

I actually saw it from it from this video on Instagram.

Got me intrigued, but yes, you can buy kimbap for similar price locally at H-Mart.

I think this is more of the convenience of having kimbap whenever. And if it tastes good, I think it's worth stocking up on a few.

Cool............ you get one and let us know. Looks decent. From Korea, so might be good.

The shit you find out on RS, eh?

MG1 08-20-2023 10:49 PM

WTH.............. I go on Tuesdays, so will get one and try.

Razor Ramon HG 08-20-2023 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 9107079)
WTH.............. I go on Tuesdays, so will get one and try.

https://ahnestkitchen.com/food/traderjoeskimbap

Review is a solid 7.8/10. They says it's better than the stuff they get at the Korean supermarket.

That's why I'm curious because I like kimbap, but most of the time I don't like it enough to drive all the way to Coquitlam. Being able to just throw a roll in the microwave is super interesting to me.

The reviews on the internet seem to be pretty good.

HonestTea 08-20-2023 11:51 PM

I checked out the TJs in Lynnwood and Bellingham, no dice on the kimbaps

MG1 08-21-2023 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestTea (Post 9107082)
I checked out the TJs in Lynnwood and Bellingham, no dice on the kimbaps

Well, being the only Trader Joe's close to the border, you know it's going to be out of stock for the next twelve months. As soon as they put them on the shelves those fucking canadians will buy them all up - by the cart.

Those dirty canucks!

unit 08-21-2023 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG (Post 9107081)
https://ahnestkitchen.com/food/traderjoeskimbap

Review is a solid 7.8/10. They says it's better than the stuff they get at the Korean supermarket.

That's why I'm curious because I like kimbap, but most of the time I don't like it enough to drive all the way to Coquitlam. Being able to just throw a roll in the microwave is super interesting to me.

The reviews on the internet seem to be pretty good.

https://youtu.be/K2IVLl-2MlE?t=18

can frozen kimbap really be that good? seems wrong on so many levels.

inv4zn 08-21-2023 09:15 AM

Kimbap is supposed to be eaten in this weird metastasis phase between lukewarm and tepid, lol.

There needs to be some warmth, but not hot, and cold will make the rice all gross.

pro-tip for anyone with leftover kimbap, dip the cold kimbap in egg-wash and fry it.

Traum 08-21-2023 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG (Post 9107081)

My go-to kimbap place is Assi Market in Burnaby (on Kingsway and MacPherson) because they are close, freshly made on a daily basis, and of course it helps when they aren't expensive either.

Give it a shot!

Razor Ramon HG 08-21-2023 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 9107092)
can frozen kimbap really be that good? seems wrong on so many levels.

I think it should be fine? It's not like they made regular kimbap and shoved it in the freezer. This was made specifically to be frozen and reheated.

Some people were saying to just take it out and let it manually defrost and then eat it that way. I rather just microwave it and then just let it cool down a bit, lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 9107101)
My go-to kimbap place is Assi Market in Burnaby (on Kingsway and MacPherson) because they are close, freshly made on a daily basis, and of course it helps when they aren't expensive either.

Give it a shot!

Ah, Assi is my go to for Korean supplies in Burnaby. Forgot they sell kimbap since I usually go later in the evening when it's all sold out. I love the red thermal shopping bags they handed out a while back.

MG1 08-21-2023 12:51 PM

I keep forgetting kimbap is not like sushi (futomaki).

unit 08-21-2023 03:02 PM

kimbap doesn't have rice vinegar seasoning, it has sesame oil, that's what makes it taste completely different.

MG1 08-22-2023 12:20 PM

The Eagle has landed. Got me a few Bimbo's ................... or whatever they call them. I called them this morning at opening and they told me shipment just came in. I reserved three. When I got there after the laundromat, they were loading up the freezer with them. Two full cases. By the time I left there were only a few left.

Man, gotta be there at the right time, I guess.

Saving one for the baseball game. Giving one to each of my kids. And, my personal mechanic. They look better in real life, gulolol.

Hakkaboy 08-22-2023 03:10 PM

Has anyone seen this popcorn or similar flavour where the bag is while but with multiple flavours?

https://www.traderjoes.com/home/prod...popcorn-072095

Note this is different that their standard kettle corn or olive oil or herb & spices one

the last few times we went to the Bellingham location, we could not find these.

MG1 08-22-2023 04:23 PM

Okay, just had a roll. Cut open a corner of the bag and microwaved it on high for two minutes and let it sit for a minute. I'm impressed.

Not as good as a makisushi (futomaki), but not bad. Wah! Not so much.

Now I'm craving a Cali Roll from Fujiya.

lilaznviper 08-23-2023 04:42 PM

i keep seeing those rolls online, time to make a trip down to see if i can grab them

Hondaracer 08-23-2023 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 9107239)
Okay, just had a roll. Cut open a corner of the bag and microwaved it on high for two minutes and let it sit for a minute. I'm impressed.

Not as good as a makisushi (futomaki), but not bad. Wah! Not so much.

Now I'm craving a Cali Roll from Fujiya.

Fujiya sushi is bordering on Safeway quality these days

MG1 08-23-2023 05:03 PM

Quality down and prices up!

Ever since they stopped making the fish cakes (broken machine - a very expensive to replace machine), there's really no point in going.

MG1 08-23-2023 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilaznviper (Post 9107327)
i keep seeing those rolls online, time to make a trip down to see if i can grab them

Call first. They can tell you when a shipment of them is coming in........... AND............... they can put it aside for you. Just ask nicely.

Hehe 08-23-2023 07:12 PM

So I got the new (to me) TJ's instant noodle.

https://www.traderjoes.com/home/prod...noodles-074472

It's very good for its value. (U$5 for pack of 4) I believe they are made by the same company that makes for Momofuku and I actually like it better than Momofuku because the TJ's noddle is wider and grabs the sauce much better.

Comparing to Momofuku or A-Sha (the company from TW making all these noodles), I feel the sauce is on the soft side. I added some sriracha and also TJ's crunchy chili-onion and it's amazing.

Highly recommended for some simple and easy late night snacks.

Bought to try last time and I liked it so much that today when I was down there, I stock up a good 5 packs so I know I'd have supply for a while.

MG1 08-29-2023 12:07 PM

Was there this morning and saw them stacked in the endcap. Thought about it and didn't get it. One more favourable review from RS and I'm getting it next week.

In Mike and RS, I trust.

MG1 09-18-2023 06:42 PM

Okay, I know what I'm getting tomorrow on my weekly trip to The Ham. Those Squiggly noodles. I just made some tonight (purchased it last week). Yeah, so easy to make and pretty darn good. I had some leftover Chorizo, so sliced them up and, "walla," quick meal. Gonna get more and try out all sorts of other stuff with it.

Badhobz 09-18-2023 06:53 PM

I’ve never been to trader joes. But I got a real hankering for Swansons hungry man dinners. I haven’t had one in ages. Does TJ have a hipster version of TV dinner ?

Hehe 09-18-2023 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 9109647)
Okay, I know what I'm getting tomorrow on my weekly trip to The Ham. Those Squiggly noodles. I just made some tonight (purchased it last week). Yeah, so easy to make and pretty darn good. I had some leftover Chorizo, so sliced them up and, "walla," quick meal. Gonna get more and try out all sorts of other stuff with it.

I did it last time with some homemade chashu, boiled beansprouts and a handful of chopped green onions with sriracha. It's like a quick tsukemen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 9109648)
I’ve never been to trader joes. But I got a real hankering for Swansons hungry man dinners. I haven’t had one in ages. Does TJ have a hipster version of TV dinner ?

Not sure microwave dinner. But their frozen, ready-to-go stuff are amazing. Kungpao chicken is great with rice, just remember to add some more heat to it.

mikemhg 09-22-2023 09:23 AM

We ate those philly cheesesteak bao's from Trader Joe's last night.

Highly recommend.

bcrdukes 09-22-2023 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 9107355)
So I got the new (to me) TJ's instant noodle.

https://www.traderjoes.com/home/prod...noodles-074472

It's very good for its value. (U$5 for pack of 4) I believe they are made by the same company that makes for Momofuku and I actually like it better than Momofuku because the TJ's noddle is wider and grabs the sauce much better.

Comparing to Momofuku or A-Sha (the company from TW making all these noodles), I feel the sauce is on the soft side. I added some sriracha and also TJ's crunchy chili-onion and it's amazing.

Highly recommended for some simple and easy late night snacks.

Bought to try last time and I liked it so much that today when I was down there, I stock up a good 5 packs so I know I'd have supply for a while.

Is this noodle anything like the one by A-Sha noodle? It almost looks like it's made by them but for TJ requirements.