REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Trader Joe's (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708448-trader-joes.html)

MG1 05-25-2022 05:36 AM

I was there yesterday. Purchased the onion ring and strawberry pretzels, along with sparkling green tea with pineapple, spicy mango lemonade, and Ube Tea cookies. They are shortbread cookies with Ube (purple yam tubers from the Philippines). It’s pretty good. Still no cooler bags.

MG1 05-25-2022 06:29 AM

Nevermind Trader Joe's stuff, the thing to try out when down in the US of A is, Dr. Pepper's Dark Berry. It's a limited time thing.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/pop-cult...usively-barrys

They seem to be very hard to find. My son asked if I could pick up a 12 pack when I was down in the US. Well, I researched the thing and was interested. When one of my kids ask for something and it's hard to get, I take it on as a challenge. I go into crazy dad mode. Anyway two days before heading down south, I called all the stores I could think of. None. None anywhere. Safeway on Sunset had the 20 ounce bottles. 2 for $4.00 US. Like WTF? Anyway, soda down there is expensive compared to here, so that's not the issue. I get the two bottles from Safeway and go to Winco. I run into the Pepsi guys who stock the shelves. Pop is a vendor thing, so Pepsi or Coca Cola does the stocking and removing of expiring products, not the businesses. I talk to them and they tell me, they are out of stock of the cans in the warehouse and won't be getting anymore. They also told me there's this one guy who buys the stuff as soon as it's on the shelves. Damn. They told me Walmart might be worth a try. I called them the day before. None in stock. I go there anyway. I search and search, but no Dark Berry. As I'm about to leave, in the middle of the Coca Cola display in the middle of the main aisle, is this weird looking case of 12 cans. It's the Dr. Peppers Dark Berry! I do a quick victory dance/jig. I cradle the thing in my arms like it was a new born and walk out with a big grin.

If any of you decide to take on the challenge, the box has a Jurassic Park theme on it. I cracked open one of the bottles from Safeway and gave the thing a taste. It is good. One of the best Dr. Pepper flavours I've tasted. I'm diabetic, so can't drink it all at once. Going to take a sip out of the bottle every now and then. The 20 ounce bottle of the stuff is everywhere. Individually in cooler displays at Fred Meyer and Safeways. Target was supposed to have them first, but nope. Not a single bottle. I think I'll go take another sip. Never too early for some fuzziness in the morning.

Next challenge. Find the Zero Sugar version of the Dark Berry. I have a feeling that one is, mission impossible.

MG1 06-06-2022 09:27 AM

Cooler Bags are back! AND…………… I got the last purple one yay!

They still had the red with black strap ones left.

mikemhg 06-06-2022 05:36 PM

Got the Kung Pao chicken on the way back from Portland last week. Really good stuff with rice, I was pleasantly surprised.

Also, the peanut butter popcorn is amazing, as is the Everything Bagel Potato Chips.

Oshiguru 06-12-2022 08:53 PM

Kung Pao Chicken is awesome because they give you two sauce packets and you only really need one. The second i use when cooking other dishes :P

TJ's is getting UBE Cookie Butter soon and theres already Ube ice cream at the Bellevue location. Bellingham didnt even have signs so i guess its not there yet.

MG1 06-13-2022 09:36 AM

For the love of Captain Pike, hundreds of cooler bags. AND, my favourite Ginger Almond and Cashew cereal is back in stock! This after being told it was discontinued. Gone forever. Got trolled, damnit

MG1 06-20-2022 09:49 PM

Bought this a few weeks ago. So many things to try. Anyway, it is pretty darn good.

What's Good at Trader Joe's?: Trader Joe's Many Things Snack Mix

I finally finished a bag of Chex Mix I purchased a month ago from Costco. Freaking bag was Texas Size. Huuuuge............

This thing from TJ's is better. Not as salty.

MG1 07-01-2022 08:48 AM

Avoid at all cost. Trader Joe's Organic, Low Calorie, Pink Lemonade. It is gross. I'd rather drink Listerine than this shit. It sounded good, so I bought one. EEEEEwwwwwwww.........

You can't go wrong with Trader Joe's stuff, but definitely a TJ Fail.

bcrdukes 07-01-2022 03:29 PM

Ouch, that sucks.

Did you try it after you got home or while you were in and around Trader Joe's? You can actually return it (even if you tried it) for a full refund and they take the feedback seriously.

I bought some of their organic gum or whatever it was, and it was just absolutely awful. They took it back no questions asked and told me they've received a lot of complaints about it and will likely pull it off the shelves entirely.

MG1 07-01-2022 07:34 PM

I purchased it two weeks ago.

Good thing I didn't get the other flavour.

I also opened up a bag of Crunchy Curls. They're made from Lentils and potato. They're okay. Not eye popping, or exceptional. It kind of grows on you. Made me crave Old Dutch Popcorn Twists -- only in Canada, like Hawkins Cheezies.

MG1 07-05-2022 12:37 PM

Checked out the "What's New," end cap and saw this Thai Sweet Ginger Sauce. Got home and just tried it. OMG, it's really good. The ginger flavour really comes out. I just put a small bit over some rice. Can't wait to try it out on some meat.

https://www.tastingtable.com/906875/...fans-inspired/

MG1 07-13-2022 08:34 AM

I've been on the hunt for Nonni's Lemoncello Mini Biscotti Bites. Costco in the US had them a few months ago. So good. Costco both sides of the border don't carry them anymore. I have the biscotti with my Trader Joe's Ginger and Almond Cluster Cereal in a bowl with ice cold milk. I found some normal sized Nonni's lemon biscotti at Fred Meyer. They're just as good, but not quite right. Last time I was at Trader Joe's I came across this Trader Joe's Meyer Lemon Mini Biscotti. It is so good. It stays crunchier longer than the Nonni's. I always add the biscotti a few seconds before eating it. Too soft and it's no good, lol. Anyway, good alternative to the mini biscotti Costco had.

https://www.traderjoesreviews.com/pr...cotti-reviews/

https://hip2save.com/2019/06/19/trad...ted-time-only/

68style 07-13-2022 08:39 AM

I for one am excited to one day get to a point in my life where I can analyze the composition of various biscotti. That is a chill man.

MG1 07-13-2022 08:46 AM

Most biscotti you can eat like a cookie. The ones from TJ are too hard to eat on their own. My teeth aren't as resilient as they used to be. Use to open beer bottles with teeth in my youth........... not anymore.

Now they have twist off caps................ with my arthritis and trigger fingers, that's now a challenge

MG1 07-20-2022 08:33 AM

There is a god. I just snagged me the last cooler bag colour for my collection. Lime colour. Saw TJ’s Carolina Gold BBQ Flavored Ridge Cut Potato Chips. Pretty darn good. Munching on them while I drive. I’m at Winco. Had to post about my cooler bag, gulolol.

BTW, the Nexus interview went well. The US Border Agent was cool. The Canadian, not so much. Boy was she ever crankipated. One of those people who’s face would fall to pieces if she smiled. I think I pissed her off, as well by interrupting her spiel.

MG1 08-31-2022 03:13 PM

Don't know why I have never tried any Yogurt from Trader Joe's before. I decided to give the cups a try. Just had the Peaches and Cream. Oddly satisfying. So smooth. Good consistency. I prefer thick yogurt, but this one not being thick was very good, nonetheless.

Not a huge fan of mangoes, but the 100% pure Carabao Mango Juice is pretty good. Direct from the Philippines. Not from concentrate.

Picked up the usual Cowboy Caviar and Corn Salsa, along with corn dippers.

murd0c 08-31-2022 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 9070369)
There is a god. I just snagged me the last cooler bag colour for my collection. Lime colour. Saw TJ’s Carolina Gold BBQ Flavored Ridge Cut Potato Chips. Pretty darn good. Munching on them while I drive. I’m at Winco. Had to post about my cooler bag, gulolol.

BTW, the Nexus interview went well. The US Border Agent was cool. The Canadian, not so much. Boy was she ever crankipated. One of those people who’s face would fall to pieces if she smiled. I think I pissed her off, as well by interrupting her spiel.

the border guard sounds like my ex, was her name Jessica LMAO

MG1 08-31-2022 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 9074377)
the border guard sounds like my ex, was her name Jessica LMAO

OMFG........... name sounds right, but it can't be her. She looks like she was hog-tied and dragged through the mud...................................... face down.

She would make Integra Girl look angelic.

If it was her, I would be kind of disappointed in you. Then again, look at Prince Charles. Went from a fine looking lady to a...... well......... nuff said.

syee 09-01-2022 06:41 PM

A few recommendations since like MG1, we go to Trader Joes more than we go to Superstore for groceries - if you haven't tried already, give the Korean Style Beef Short Ribs a try.

Also (and maybe not everyone's cup of tea), their Turkey Burger patties are pretty cheap and tastes pretty good (for a turkey burger). Will add more as more as I remember.

mikemhg 09-02-2022 11:02 AM

Not to be a misogynist, but I find without question any female guards tend to be the worst.

Often when I'm crossing the border and I see which line is moving the slowest -- it's usually a female guard in the window. If you see one ahead in the window, change lanes.

This also generally applies in policing as well. Women tend to feel they have to act "extra hard" when in these types of roles in order to garner respect, and not seem soft.

It sucks, and I get it, I've spoken with woman that work in policing/corrections, and I get why, but it really shouldn't have to be that way.

68style 09-02-2022 01:00 PM

There's a female guard at Point Roberts and she's as chill / easy as can be... never sends me in for taxes and often jokes with me. I'm in love.

CivicBlues 09-02-2022 01:13 PM

Hey! some of us get off on being yelled at by attractive women in authority.
:whipped:

68style 09-02-2022 01:34 PM

She looks like she could really dish it if you crossed her!

MG1 09-02-2022 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 9074640)
There's a female guard at Point Roberts and she's as chill / easy as can be... never sends me in for taxes and often jokes with me. I'm in love.

But, that's on the Canadian side. No such thing as a personable female border agent on the US side. We cornered the market on hot chicks in uniform, carrying...........

except murd0c's ex............

68style 09-02-2022 03:06 PM

The US side has an old lady shaped like a ball and she just asks where you're going and then hands your passport back without a word every time.

Not "nice" but pretty chill haha

There's a black guy there too every single time I go through in my Celica he tells me he's got authentic TRD headlights for a Celica at home... he must have told me that at least 5 times now LOL... I guess he's waiting for me to ask how much/try to buy them... does that count as bribing a border guard tho?