REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #2976
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,507 Posts
if there's more to it, then ya...

reminds me of dave chappelle's skit at 1:05

Advertisement

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:40 PM   #2977
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Guy probably hates Trudeau and is going to use it to make a point.
“I get fired for blackface and he doesn’t?!”
Either that or it literally had nothing to do with blackface and he’s going as something stupid like a tire.
If it WAS part of something "innocent". As a teacher, in a public facing role, in the year 2021... at no point when they were literally applying black paint to their face should the thought go "hmm... maybe this is a bad idea"?
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #2978
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
People are fucking stupid man. But I’d say the outrage at a guy going as a tire being racist is as stupid as the guy who put the face paint on.
Context matters.
Intent matters.
Again though, I’m only throwing hypotheticals out there. It’s all fuckin stupid.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #2979
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,693 Posts
Horgan is diagnosed with cancer.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2021/1...horgan-cancer/

B.C. Premier John Horgan has announced the lump he discovered in his throat a few months ago is cancer.

Horgan underwent surgery and a biopsy last Friday. In a statement Thursday, he says the pathology confirmed the growth in his throat is cancerous.

“My prognosis is good and I expect to make a full recovery,” Horgan said.

He is set to begin radiation treatment in the coming weeks, during which time he says he will participate in meetings and briefings virtually.

Minister Mike Farnworth, who was appointed deputy premier last week, will attend any in-person commitments, while other cabinet ministers may also attend in his absence.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #2980
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,458 Times in 5,117 Posts
Hoping for the best for Premier Horgan
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #2981
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,911 Posts
Wishing him the best, I appreciate how he is open about it and letting the public know of every step along the way. I think he is going to win a lot of hearts by being honest and real about a struggle that touches SO many people.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:08 PM   #2982
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Horgan is diagnosed with cancer.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2021/1...horgan-cancer/

B.C. Premier John Horgan has announced the lump he discovered in his throat a few months ago is cancer.

Horgan underwent surgery and a biopsy last Friday. In a statement Thursday, he says the pathology confirmed the growth in his throat is cancerous.

“My prognosis is good and I expect to make a full recovery,” Horgan said.

He is set to begin radiation treatment in the coming weeks, during which time he says he will participate in meetings and briefings virtually.

Minister Mike Farnworth, who was appointed deputy premier last week, will attend any in-person commitments, while other cabinet ministers may also attend in his absence.
Hope he has a quick recovery....

i know its bad, but him cancelling the kamloops cancer centre...this just seems like bad karma
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:08 AM   #2983
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,360 Times in 5,657 Posts
BC history museum to remove all the “colonization” displays/floors from display

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/roya...poWJs8fmnAle5c

It’s one thing to remove statues etc. that can trigger people and are prominently displayed in public view, but to start stripping museums of entire displays rather than putting a disclaimer or building a section to explain the section further would seem more fitting..

When you start doing shit like this you’re literally just burying the past..not educating people on it
Old 11-05-2021, 09:49 AM   #2984
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
yeah i think i agree with you there, displaying the past is not the same as glorifying it. it would be if it were a monument in the middle of the city but not in a museum.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2021, 12:41 PM   #2985
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
When history offends you just cancel it. Slavery will soon be erased from the dictionary, because it never happened.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:13 PM   #2986
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
I have been to that museum 4 or 5 times.

With my parents
with schools
with my cousin about 15 years ago who was from India.
4 years ago when my Audi was being serviced.

In all those decades the exhibit has not changed but way we look at colonization has. History has always been taught from the winners point of view. Maybe it's time for that to change.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:21 PM   #2987

^ so that’s sonthing I kind of thought of after writing the post..the exhibit is old af.. I’m the same as you I went there numerous times and it’s been the same since. Wife and I went to the museum probably 3-4 years ago on a trip to Victoria and it was the same as when I went in grade 7’m

So I don’t know if it’s just this daily hive article or how much they are reflecting the museums true intentions. However, as I said, this is the history of this land, this is what happened. If Colonization is such a heinous thing and there is this endless narrative of “learning from the past” deleting it from memory doesn’t really serve a purpose.

If they are going to scale down that portion of the museum or change it to reflect modern opinions of the times, sure. But if they are just going to remove the entire thing in favour of new installations and not recognize the colonization portion of BC’s history, I think it’s a huge disservice to a “history” museum

I get colonization is this trigger for people and fair enough. However, it’s kind of the reason most people are here? Lol.. like the story as to how this place became a thing isn’t important enough to be told?

Last edited by Hondaracer; 11-05-2021 at 01:27 PM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:36 PM   #2988
Rs has made me the man i am today!

reminds me of this Nazi museum somewhere. It had all these Nazi Germany items on display and showed how the party gained power and the horrible things they did during WW2.

It's these places that should still exist so future generations can learn and reflect about the
human history of our world through these events even if they are negative.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:09 PM   #2989
Performance Moderator

Yah 2 most sobering places I’ve ever been to in my life were the Auschwitz death camp in Poland and the Hiroshima nuclear bomb museum… if you can walk out of either place with anything resembling a smile on your face there’s something deeply wrong with you.

My buddy and I didn’t even say a word to each other for like 2 hours after we left Auschwitz…
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2021, 02:11 PM   #2990
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
^ so that’s sonthing I kind of thought of after writing the post..the exhibit is old af.. I’m the same as you I went there numerous times and it’s been the same since. Wife and I went to the museum probably 3-4 years ago on a trip to Victoria and it was the same as when I went in grade 7’m

So I don’t know if it’s just this daily hive article or how much they are reflecting the museums true intentions. However, as I said, this is the history of this land, this is what happened. If Colonization is such a heinous thing and there is this endless narrative of “learning from the past” deleting it from memory doesn’t really serve a purpose.

If they are going to scale down that portion of the museum or change it to reflect modern opinions of the times, sure. But if they are just going to remove the entire thing in favour of new installations and not recognize the colonization portion of BC’s history, I think it’s a huge disservice to a “history” museum

I get colonization is this trigger for people and fair enough. However, it’s kind of the reason most people are here? Lol.. like the story as to how this place became a thing isn’t important enough to be told?
I heard they are not simply replacing the exhibit but updating/expanding it to reflect more current viewpoints.

The reality is the current exhibit does not accurately reflect the history of this province. It should - for better or worse. What's the point in teaching a false historical narrative?

As has been pointed out already - it's due for a rework regardless.

EDIT: I've been to the Hiroshima ground zero exhibit also. Very sobering. I've also been through the imperial war museum in London a few times. These places aren't really supposed to make you feel good, and buy souvenir t-shirts. These are places to reflect on the past, and ideally help to frame modern viewpoints.
The Producer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #2991
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Yah 2 most sobering places I’ve ever been to in my life were the Auschwitz death camp in Poland and the Hiroshima nuclear bomb museum… if you can walk out of either place with anything resembling a smile on your face there’s something deeply wrong with you.

My buddy and I didn’t even say a word to each other for like 2 hours after we left Auschwitz…
Yeah there and Birkenau were sobering reminders of just how brutal we can be to each other. This is partly why I find it disgusting when far-right supporters of late compare COVID rules to Nazi Germany. They have no clue how egregiously ignorant they sound.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2021, 04:17 PM   #2992
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,818 Times in 8,192 Posts
My initial reaction was similar to honda's... I have so many great memories of going to that museum, and they all came flooding in when I saw those pictures. I enjoyed the colony exhibits for their immersion, and the museum also sparked fascination with Native culture and art at a young age.

However, I think some of those displays to lean towards 'glorification' and could be updated. Maybe that's too strong of a word, but I think you guys can get where I'm coming from.

It shouldn't be fun to ride on a ship where the intent was to take over the land from the people already there, and treat them worse than animals for a century.

But being able to walk through replicas of early towns, logging and mining, was such an important part of the experience. I hope they're able to replace it with something similarly fascinating and mentally stimulating. I hope it can be just as immersive without being so 'fun'
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #2993
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
However, as I said, this is the history of this land, this is what happened. If Colonization is such a heinous thing and there is this endless narrative of “learning from the past” deleting it from memory doesn’t really serve a purpose.

If they are going to scale down that portion of the museum or change it to reflect modern opinions of the times, sure.
From my understanding of the article, that's what they're planning to do

Quote:
“As part of our work to implement modernized museum practices, in particular our efforts around decolonization, we will be closing the third-floor so we can decant our galleries. This is necessary to begin the long-term work of creating new narratives that include under-represented voices and reflect the lived experiences and contemporary stories of the people in BC.
Since it sounds like it's been largely unchanged since 1967, I'm going to guess there's not a lot of accurate First Nations history included in there currently.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:27 AM   #2994
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,507 Posts
just took my family there this summer, may take them again to see the updated version.
last updated 1967? i wasn't surprised hearing it, it looked dated

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:35 AM   #2995
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
It's kind of funny that I've done work in that building for years. Crawled all through the attics, service rooms, and basement tunnels yet I've never actually visited as a customer.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:24 AM   #2996
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,389 Times in 1,233 Posts
Visited for the first time as an Adult this summer. It was an interesting museum and they had a cool temporary exhibit about Orcas. But so many Canadian museums across the country just have this kinda formulaic layout where they have a whole gallery dedicated to "natural history" - basically a collection of taxidermied animals and another gallery dedicated to "First Peoples" where they display FN artifacts a lot of times out of context.

That being said, I found the most memorable part of the museum was the late-1800s simulated town but now it seems like that's on the way out. Hopefully they can rebuild something as or more engaging. Things change - remember museums used to just be stuffy old rooms full of creaky drawers and stuffed dead animals.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:33 AM   #2997
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post

It's so true, i went to Israel; Yad Vashem. The World Holocaust Remembrance Center.
They had a part which audio were being played among the pictures and it was bone chilling to feel the saddness. People didn't talk for 1-2 hours just to get their hearts settled.
THEN I saw these gentleman in his 60s and a lady in her late 50s (in our tour group), RUSHING thru the museum so they can get to the cafeteria JUST to use the WIFI. WTFFFFF. *It took me 2 hrs just to see 1/2 the place, they spend 15 mins and off they go....

6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #2998
Performance Moderator

^ Dude I was standing in the gas chamber at Auschwitz and a tour group from China was there laughing and taking photos with flash on, some manager had to go up and tell their leader to have some respect for the dead and quiet down.

Then later on there’s a brick wall full of bullet holes where they lined people up to execute them and they’re posing for photos against the wall in poses like they’re pretending to get shot… just fuckin gross behaviour.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2021, 12:58 PM   #2999

There is a big debate that seems to be going on right now with the concentration camps turning into this mass tourism stop, a few different travel vloggers I watch have been told
The same thing by your guides there

When you get a disgusting group from china where Auschwitzs is their 4th stop of the day on a guided tour bus tour, no one respects the trip compared to the individual that found their own way there with the intent to see the camp for what it is

I went to Sachsenhausen near Berlin, the only camp I’ve been to but it was enough. Still stirs sonthing up in me thinking about it from time to time and that was back in 2017. I’ve also been to the holocaust museum at the London war museum and a few different random ones I’ve stumbled across, all very humbling. One of the most humbling ones I’ve actually seen was this tiny little one in this random park in Portland. It was just a concrete slab with a few quotes and some bronzed shoes and luggage on the ground but man, it was powerful

Next September we have a Europe trip planned where we will be in Munich which is a short drive to Dachau. I have no interest in going to another camp as a tourist. If I’m ever in Poland I’ll go to Auschwitzs but going to any other ones, I’ve had my fill.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:48 AM   #3000
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Jas Johal posted a long Twitter thread yesterday about a clip from BC Liberal leadership candidate Renee Merrifiel:

https://twitter.com/JasJohalBC/statu...057328128?s=20

It got the attention of media: https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2021/1...p-controversy/

Another article that is making the waves in the media today (with a huge comment thread on r/Canada) is a survey depicting the generational chasm between those 41+ and those under the age of 40:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8360411/g...youth-leaders/
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: