REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-19-2022, 01:51 PM   #3076
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
I just want a nice hard center party
Advertisement
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2022, 09:36 PM   #3077
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
The bone = The people
The Meat = The policy
The Fat = The politics
The Carcinogens = The politicians
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 12:22 AM   #3078
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
O'Toole ran for the wrong party. He'd probably make a winning Liberal leader over JT
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 02:49 AM   #3079
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
The more parties the better I say.

I was always worried that Canada was moving more towards the Right/Left (Republican/Democrat) style of viable party politics of the States.

This is bad for everyone if that continued to be the case (we were very much going in that direction pre-Covid).

To see them break apart into multiple parties is a good thing.
Agreed. To have 300+ million people and only 2 opposite choices its no wonder there's so much division.

To be able for someone to choose 1 party based on so many moving parts just isn't practical. Whether its left/right liberal/ndp/conservative/green etc. Its an endless cycle of 600 million dollar elections with everyone undoing each others work. It doesn't serve the people anymore. The people that are paying 30-40% in income tax and then another 12% when they spend it. Maybe in 1867 when the population was 3 million the current model worked.

In Canada we have these categories:

Minister of Drama Teachers
Minister of Transport
Minister of National Defence
Minister of Mental Health and Addictions and Associate Minister of Health
Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
President of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada and Minister of Emergency Preparedness
Minister of Tourism and Associate Minister of Finance
Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry
Minister of Health
Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance
Minister of Families, Children and Social Development
Minister of Environment and Climate Change
Minister of Indigenous Services and Minister responsible for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Northern Ontario
Minister of Housing and Diversity and Inclusion
Minister of Rural Economic Development
Minister for Women and Gender Equality and Youth
Minister responsible for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
Minister of Foreign Affairs
Minister of Seniors
Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada
Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, Infrastructure and Communities
Minister of National Revenue
Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence
Minister of Public Safety
Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations
Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard
Minister of International Trade, Export Promotion, Small Business and Economic Development
Minister of Labour
Minister of Official Languages and Minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Disability Inclusion
Minister of Canadian Heritage and Quebec Lieutenant
Minister of International Development and Minister responsible for the Pacific Economic Development Agency of Canada
Minister of Sport and Minister responsible for the Economic Development Agency of Canada for the Regions of Quebec
Minister of Public Services and Procurement
Minister of Northern Affairs, Minister responsible for Prairies Economic Development Canada and Minister responsible for the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency
Minister of Natural Resources
Old 03-21-2022, 06:53 AM   #3080
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,895 Posts
BC is a provincial example of this. The BC Libs say they are going to tear up all the Massey tunnel contracts if they win an upcoming election. The NDP tore up the Massey bridge contracts when they took power from BC Libs. The Massey bridge would have been completed at the end of this year had they continued with original plans. Waste ... waste ... and more wasted of our tax dollars not to mention that nothing to show for it. It's still the shitty tunnel with the worst traffic jam in the city for commuters.

There should be some sort of law that an incoming party cannot undo any contracts of previous governing party.

Last edited by whitev70r; 03-21-2022 at 12:57 PM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2022, 06:42 PM   #3081
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,463 Posts

How pissed is Honda?
Old 03-21-2022, 06:48 PM   #3082
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,895 Posts
Liberals, NDP leadership have tentative deal to support Trudeau government to 2025

Well ... the good news is some stability, no election for 3 years. The bad news is more of JT till then.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:58 PM   #3083
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
BC is a provincial example of this. The BC Libs say they are going to tear up all the Massey tunnel contracts if they win an upcoming election. The NDP tore up the Massey bridge contracts when they took power from BC Libs. The Massey bridge would have been completed at the end of this year had they continued with original plans. Waste ... waste ... and more wasted of our tax dollars not to mention that nothing to show for it. It's still the shitty tunnel with the worst traffic jam in the city for commuters.

There should be some sort of law that an incoming party cannot undo any contracts of previous governing party.
Given how much construction costs have inflated these days, I'd be surprised if the new massey tunnel project isn't at least 50 to 100% more expensive than the bridge would have been.

I feel like projects of a magnitude that could span multiple changes in government need to be managed by some non-elected impartial third party entity.

Like, I don't think there should never be a chance to cancel projects, there could be very valid reasons to re-evaluate a project. But the new ruling government should not be able to simply wave a wand and say "Cancelled". It should be pretty difficult and they should have to make a very compelling case to this management entity that would have to vote on it.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:07 AM   #3084
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
libs and ndp played the game of thrones

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:55 AM   #3085

Liberals commit to advance dental care program, pharmacare and affordable housing in deal with NDP
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...ment-1.6393021
Old 03-22-2022, 09:05 AM   #3086
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,017 Posts
As someone who's relatively new to this politics stuff, I'm fine with it bringing stability. There's honestly no real good party to vote for an a coalition to save some elections money is fine by me.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2022, 03:24 PM   #3087

Con leader saying the NDP are supporting putting. How bat shit crazy is she.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Gray_Mack...69295155855365
Old 03-22-2022, 04:40 PM   #3088
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Liberals commit to advance dental care program, pharmacare and affordable housing in deal with NDP
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...ment-1.6393021
Finally have time to take a look at what the dental care program is about, and all I can say it is going to be extremely expensive:

Quote:
The dental program... would be restricted to families with an income of less than $90,000 annually, with no co-pays for anyone under $70,000 annually in income, said the government.

The Parliamentary Budget Officer costed the NDP's dental plan during the 2019 election campaign. At the time, Singh was promising that an NDP government would cover an extensive array of preventative and restorative services, including exams, cleanings, fluoride treatments, X-rays, filings, crowns, root canals and treatments for gum disease, as well as the cost of dentures and braces for non-cosmetic purposes.

The PBO estimated the cost for the first, partial fiscal year would be $560 million and would rise to $1.884 billion in the subsequent fiscal year — a "one-time" surge due to oral diseases that had gone untreated. The PBO said that after that point, the program would cost about $830 million a year, rising to $856 million.
The millions and billions figures being thrown around are too big for my little head to wrap around, but it looking at it from a personal perspective, I'm going to say it looks vastly superior to the crappy $1000/yr dental coverage plan that I have from my employer. Anybody who has done them know that crowns and root canals are bloody expensive -- I think you're looking at ~$1200 - $1500 per crown + root canal? If I am understanding it correctly, dentures are even more expensive, as are braces.

As someone in the middle class, I honestly think we are being neglected to fend for ourselves once again when we are already stretched super thin. With my meager dental coverage plan, I've been in a position in the past where I can't afford to complete the entire dental work all in one go because it was too expensive, and so I had to spread the job out over several months, spanning the calendar year so that my coverage would be renewed in January to ease some of the financial pain from the dental work. As an after tax out of pocket expense, dental work like this is a sizable sum, so it looks very much like to me that the plan -- much like a lot of Trudeau's plans -- is something that benefits the underprivileged classes at the expense of the middle class. IMO, if the dental assistance plan were to go ahead, it would be far more suitable to just offer it as a universal dental plan eligible to all Canadians and PRs.

Going back to my crappy work-provided dental coverage again, I think I only get partial coverage on crowns, root canals, certain types of dentures (with no coverage for implants, for example), and very little coverage for braces. So if this NDP-supported dental plan were to go ahead, the costs are going to be astronomical when all of those services (that are only partially covered by private plans) were completely covered by the federal gov plan.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2022, 04:59 PM   #3089
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,314 Times in 5,635 Posts
In the end the people who think this co-party system will be good for them are going to be the same people decimated by Turds current leadership. The same people who are borderline homeless from his housing initiives etc. who can’t afford to buy, barely afford to rent, etc. your teeth cleanings aren’t gonna come from printing more money.

I’ll continue to succeed in spite of him. Hell, If his housing track record continues I legit may be able to retire by 45, take my money abroad, and milk his gravy train paying as little back into Canada as humanly possible.

Spending trillions of dollars on social programs and dental care all the while decimating our oil and gas industry will surely be a recipe for success we will all rejoice in

Last edited by Hondaracer; 03-22-2022 at 08:30 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:39 PM   #3090

If they're going to implement this, than it should be universal like health care anyone paying taxes should have access to this regardless of income level. It's kind of bullshit that a family making $90,001 would get nothing under this system.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 03-22-2022, 07:54 PM   #3091

Thanked 31,134 Times in 7,146 Posts
Especially considering 90k household income can't afford a bachelors suite in Toronto or Vancouver.
I understand that we are lucky to live in the cities we do, but as I've always said, it takes all socioeconomic classes to make a big city like ours thrive, and what is considered wealthy in this country is WAY too low in any urban area.
As long as the cons are still maga hat wearing nutcases I'll take my financial penalty so real poor have a chance at surviving, but being the working poor while making more than triple the median household income is getting pretty old. Was looking forward to that $10 a day child care but looks like I'll be paying $200 a day instead.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2022, 03:36 AM   #3092
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
For 800 million the royal canadian mint better start making gold teeth

Anyone here watch the new ray dalio changing world order video?
Old 03-23-2022, 11:39 AM   #3093

Jagmeet gonna look so “Boss” when not one of the NDP’s bills gets passed
Old 03-23-2022, 12:14 PM   #3094

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
If they're going to implement this, than it should be universal like health care anyone paying taxes should have access to this regardless of income level. It's kind of bullshit that a family making $90,001 would get nothing under this system.
Makes you wonder if it's almost at the point if getting legally married or reporting that you're common law with someone is a huge detriment to families economically.

Might as well report as single parent.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:24 PM   #3095

Thanked 4,555 Times in 1,708 Posts
My industry has HEAVILY lobbied the government against implementing a national pharmacare plan, as well as a national paid dental plan.

There is a real definitive reason why this dental plan is only being offered to heavily low-income families, and not the "middle" class. There will also be a means-based implementation to any rolled out pharmacare plan (income, and age limits, etc.)

We can't cut the dick off the employer sponsored benefit plan industry baby, why do you think Bill Morneau was appointed initially as finance minister? I worked for his company for many years -- if the industry has their say (and we will), you will never see a fully nationalized prescription or dental care plan available to middle income Canadians. That would be a massive loss for the private insurance sector, not happening.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2022, 12:51 PM   #3096

If they're going to implement a two tier private/public dental system, then anyone advocating for a two tier health care system was just completely validated.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2022, 12:57 PM   #3097

Thanked 31,134 Times in 7,146 Posts
I don’t see what would prevent them from subsidizing it and keeping private companies like they are pretending to do with childcare. It’s not like those are government run, it’s just paid to the private facility.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 01:20 PM   #3098

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
My industry has HEAVILY lobbied the government against implementing a national pharmacare plan, as well as a national paid dental plan.

There is a real definitive reason why this dental plan is only being offered to heavily low-income families, and not the "middle" class. There will also be a means-based implementation to any rolled out pharmacare plan (income, and age limits, etc.)

We can't cut the dick off the employer sponsored benefit plan industry baby, why do you think Bill Morneau was appointed initially as finance minister? I worked for his company for many years -- if the industry has their say (and we will), you will never see a fully nationalized prescription or dental care plan available to middle income Canadians. That would be a massive loss for the private insurance sector, not happening.
This is going to be even MORE of the same old bullshit keeping the middle class down and under the thumb of the govt.

Shitty, low to middle paying companies dangle benefits like this golden carrot to emoloyees when in reality virtually all companies have benefits to some degree. You start subsidizing those benefits that people think add value to their employment and these low/middle end jobs become less and less attractive. So the way you keep the peons in line is to only subsidize the people on the margins of society and keep focusing on propping up your welfare state. People who could thrive with the subsidizes and inject money back into the economy aren’t eligible for this because they make 10k too much? If it goes down like that it’s going to be absolutely insane.

If these dental and medication subsidizes go through you are going to see RAMPANT abuse in the forms of straddling that income line, much like you do already in the subsidizing housing etc. why in the hell would you ever strive as a family to make 95k a year when making 90 all your healthcare is fully covered?
Old 03-23-2022, 02:15 PM   #3099

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Sounds like more bullshit I have to pay for but not benefit from at all.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:55 PM   #3100
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Bahahaha... lefties at their finest again.

I've said it before and now I'd say it again... more benefits never work. You just bring everything down to the lowest level.

With a 2-tier program, and assuming they implement some limit on each procedure, all the actual good dentists would simply do the least amount of job they could just enough to maximize each payout. Or they would simply attend only patients who aren't on the coverage. So, the people who need it the most would receive the worst care.

Worst, you are incentivizing people to make under 90k (or at least declare as such) just so that they can qualify for this.

The only way to universal care to work is truly universal... where everyone gets same treatment for same payment. Otherwise, you just create all sort of incentive for people to cheat the system one way or the other.