REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #476
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Yea why bother having any common culture, language, values or identity at all? Not like any of that matters for a country.
It doesn't matter in star trek.

Only a matter of time before we have universal translators so language barriers will be non existent. Culture does not stay within boarders. Look how big kpop is outside of Korea and India has a national men's and woman's ice hockey teams.

Looking at the polls right now most Canadians are left leaning voting for the Liberals NDP or Green. looks like your values are not inline with most Canadians so you should fit in of fck off.

Advertisement
Old 08-29-2019, 05:24 PM   #477
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post

Looking at the polls right now most Canadians are left leaning voting for the Liberals NDP or Green. looks like your values are not inline with most Canadians so you should fit in of fck off.
Well then, i guess you'll know who to thank when you can't find anyone to work for under $40/hr just to sit on their fat ass all day serving up slurpees and trolling on the internet eh, Mark?
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:09 PM   #478

Quote:
Well then, i guess you'll know who to thank when you can't find anyone to work for under $40/hr just to sit on their fat ass all day serving up slurpees and trolling on the internet eh, Mark?
Looks like someone is upset.

If min wage was higher maybe we wouldn't have people digging for change so they can get $4 of gas at the end of the month.

If we didn't have any employee's welfare you know what we would do? We would work more. It's not like we haven't have to do that before. I am not going to tell a customer to fuck off and come back the next day.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:06 PM   #479
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,045 Times in 2,078 Posts
Will you two get a room already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #480

Quote:

If min wage was higher maybe we wouldn't have people digging for change so they can get $4 of gas at the end of the month.
Flood market with unskilled labor. increase minimum wage
Liberal economics 101
-Norm Franz
Old 08-29-2019, 08:15 PM   #481

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Will you two get a room already.
Does this mean you've unignored me?
-Norm Franz
Old 08-29-2019, 09:32 PM   #482
My homepage has been set to RS

https://www.richmond-news.com/news/p...ond-1.23931647
Prime minister gave out mooncakes in Richmond
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:55 PM   #483

Quote:
Flood market with unskilled labor. increase minimum wage
Liberal economics 101
Problem is there is a huge shortage of unskilled/skilled labour.

The US but the same is happening here.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/29/fast...very-year.html
Old 08-30-2019, 12:00 PM   #484
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Problem is there is a huge shortage of unskilled/skilled labour.

The US but the same is happening here.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/29/fast...very-year.html
There is no shortage of unskilled labour people have just gotten inherently lazy and entitled. As for skilled labour or trades in Canada the dump of oil prices has forced all those tradesmen out in to a market that's saturated. Most of my buddies that used to work the patch have been forced to abandon their electrician, plumbing, etc skills and earn income in other ways - most in tech. It's tough to find a good contractor around here and they're charging more than ever, but to say there's a shortage would be an overstatement.

As for the fast food industry whining about their turnover: they created their own problem. They admit right in the article that they made the jobs so mundane, easy, and impersonal that they made their employees "easily replaceable". Their language! They made working for them completely unfulfilling and their employees to feel like robots, so the employees leave to find something more meaningful. Look at someone who slings fast food vs a server at a restaurant or bar and the comparative income based on how much effort one puts in to make their customer happy. POOR MCDONALDS my fcuking ass.

Last edited by JDął; 08-30-2019 at 12:06 PM.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2019, 12:22 PM   #485

Thank you. Someone who actually scratches beyond the surface of agenda driven stats.
We have a skills mismatch problem and a ridiculously inflated housing market along with a stifled energy sector. Adding more people will only exacerbate these problems
-Norm Franz
Old 08-30-2019, 12:38 PM   #486

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Average salary in construction soars to Ł46,000 as UK loses EU workers
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/avera...86.html?bcmt=1
Old 08-30-2019, 12:57 PM   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
There is no shortage of unskilled labour people have just gotten inherently lazy and entitled. As for skilled labour or trades in Canada the dump of oil prices has forced all those tradesmen out in to a market that's saturated. Most of my buddies that used to work the patch have been forced to abandon their electrician, plumbing, etc skills and earn income in other ways - most in tech. It's tough to find a good contractor around here and they're charging more than ever, but to say there's a shortage would be an overstatement.

As for the fast food industry whining about their turnover: they created their own problem. They admit right in the article that they made the jobs so mundane, easy, and impersonal that they made their employees "easily replaceable". Their language! They made working for them completely unfulfilling and their employees to feel like robots, so the employees leave to find something more meaningful. Look at someone who slings fast food vs a server at a restaurant or bar and the comparative income based on how much effort one puts in to make their customer happy. POOR MCDONALDS my fcuking ass.
I talk to construction workers daily and they are all are swamped. One guy a few weeks back told me he could have 3 or 4 more crews running if he could find the workers.

https://www.cheknews.ca/nanaimo-sees...n-2019-582224/

Quote:
Nanaimo’s building boom means there’s plenty of jobs for construction workers.

“We’re growing fast and we’re going to be busy so I’m happy with it. Means we’re not going to be sitting around. We’re going to be working working working,” said Andrew Green, a Windley Contracting Foreman.

There is so much work available it’s difficult for companies like Windley Contracting to find and keep qualified workers and all the construction permitted for this year is expected to take 18 months to two years before it’s all complete.
Alberta is not all of Canada.

Look who is training at Tristar.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #488
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Lol... Jaggy needs to spend less time "training" and more time rallying the troops, the NDP is about to return to fringe party status.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ndp...ates-1.5263840

Quote:
he NDP is facing massive gaps in its candidate list as the official start of the election campaign draws near.

The party says it has found 175 people to run under the orange banner in the upcoming election — meaning nearly half of the 338 ridings in Canada don't have a New Democrat candidate yet.

According to the NDP's website, the party has yet to nominate a single candidate in New Brunswick, P.E.I., Nunavut or the Northwest Territories.

The party is racing the clock: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is expected to call an election at some point between Labour Day and Sept. 15.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:18 PM   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Lol... Jaggy needs to spend less time "training" and more time rallying the troops, the NDP is about to return to fringe party status.

Quality over quantity. Mad max wil let anyone with a pulse run.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #490
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post

as much as i don't like the liberals right now, i hate the conservatives so much more, so i'm happy that the ndp is doing poorly... less vote splitting.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #491
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Aren't trades like electrician and plumber in high demand these days given the shortage of these types of workers?
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:27 PM   #492
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
I talk to construction workers daily and they are all are swamped. One guy a few weeks back told me he could have 3 or 4 more crews running if he could find the workers.

https://www.cheknews.ca/nanaimo-sees...n-2019-582224/

Alberta is not all of Canada.
Greater Vancouver and the South Island are not all of Canada either. The majority of tradesmen who were forced out of the patch went home to various communities across the country, they weren't all Albertan It wouldn't surprise me if Vancouver is short, the cost of living is so prohibitively high that without the oil industry level of income tradesmen aren't flocking to live there.

EDIT - It should be noted that trades being in demand and people at least claiming a "shortage" just means there is consistent employment for people in that sector. It shields them a bit from an economic downturn which is likely to happen. If major projects have work stacked up for 18 months to two years that's actually a good thing. Meanwhile no one is waiting two weeks to have a plumber come fix their kitchen sink. Perspective.

Last edited by JDął; 08-30-2019 at 03:43 PM.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:45 PM   #493

Quote:
Greater Vancouver and the South Island are not all of Canada either. The majority of tradesmen who were forced out of the patch went home to various communities across the country, they weren't all Albertan It wouldn't surprise me if Vancouver is short, the cost of living is so prohibitively high that without the oil industry level of income tradesmen aren't flocking to live there.

EDIT - It should be noted that trades being in demand and people at least claiming a "shortage" just means there is consistent employment for people in that sector. It shields them a bit from an economic downturn which is likely to happen. If major projects have work stacked up for 18 months to two years that's actually a good thing. Meanwhile no one is waiting two weeks to have a plumber come fix their kitchen sink. Perspective.
It's the whole Island and the lower mainland that is facing a shortage. If you need to get a small job done you are either paying a arm and a leg or waiting.

Looks like there is a shortage of trades in Ontario too.
https://beta.canada.com/life/homes/r...87f40a85b/amp/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...port-1.5054456

Seems like is all of Canada.

https://nationalpost.com/life/homes/...oming-shortage

Even Alberta is looking into getting more young people in to trades.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...f-tradespeople
Old 08-30-2019, 07:05 PM   #494

Wait you mean women aren't climbing over each other to fill these positions? Even with triple the red seal incentive grants than men get?
Maybe instead of fixating on social engineering and gender parity he could try focusing on keeping skills matched to demand.

Doubling incentive grants for everyone could have gone a long way in enrolling trades trainees.
-Norm Franz
Old 08-30-2019, 07:45 PM   #495

Quote:
Wait you mean women aren't climbing over each other to fill these positions? Even with triple the red seal incentive grants than men get?
Maybe instead of fixating on social engineering and gender parity he could try focusing on keeping skills matched to demand.

Doubling incentive grants for everyone could have gone a long way in enrolling trades trainees.

You are missing the point. You can offer all the bonuses you want. it's not going to help when you don't have enough people.

Look at the trunking industry they are offering big bonuses and you can make over a 100K a year, but still can't find enough drivers.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:59 PM   #496

Quote:

You are missing the point. You can offer all the bonuses you want. it's not going to help when you don't have enough people.

Look at the trunking industry they are offering big bonuses and you can make over a 100K a year, but still can't find enough drivers.
Maybe that's because sitting stationary with your eyes glued to the road for 16 hours at a time for years on end isn't exactly enticing to a lot of people.

Trades people are fleeing the lower mainland and other metro areas because of the ridiculous cost of living.
There's no one in Nanaimo to work because it's...Nanaimo.
-Norm Franz
Old 08-30-2019, 09:11 PM   #497

Quote:
Maybe that's because sitting stationary with your eyes glued to the road for 16 hours at a time for years on end isn't exactly enticing to a lot of people.

Trades people are fleeing the lower mainland and other metro areas because of the ridiculous cost of living.
There's no one in Nanaimo to work because it's...Nanaimo.
So Vancouver is too expensive but Nanaimo is not good enough. Fck you're picky. I would rather drive a truck than be broke and homeless but that's just me. I guess you and your friends are different.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:39 PM   #498

Quote:
So Vancouver is too expensive but Nanaimo is not good enough. Fck you're picky. I would rather drive a truck than be broke and homeless but that's just me. I guess you and your friends are different.
Haha. ok night night little buddy
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 08-30-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:48 PM   #499

Quote:
Haha. ok night night little buddy
I'm not your buddy guy. You can't handle how well the economy is doing under JT. You get triggered every time someone mentions it.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-01-2019, 10:07 PM   #500