REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:33 AM   #9676
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Restaurants are closed though, so we should be in the clear?
Not always, but you sometimes you sure know how to make me laugh
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2021, 10:33 AM   #9677
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,157 Times in 7,153 Posts
Quote:
Restaurants are closed though, so we should be in the clear?
The clear path to success is to remove 1.9% of the transmissions. Should be good removing 20 cases from our 1k/day totals
#helth
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2021, 10:55 AM   #9678
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Man, I feel so bad for places that can’t do take out. You never really think about those places but I know a little spot by me, straight and marrow, which replaced bistro wagon rouge the chef and the owner sunk a bunch of money into it hoping to turn it around just in time for lightened covid restrictions. They’ve been open and have been amazing but now you have to completely close for more than a month

Fuck, terrible
Old 04-15-2021, 10:57 AM   #9679

Oh I haven’t checked that place yet. I used to love bistro wagon rouge, and love that location.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-15-2021, 11:02 AM   #9680
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Man, I feel so bad for places that can’t do take out. You never really think about those places but I know a little spot by me, straight and marrow, which replaced bistro wagon rouge the chef and the owner sunk a bunch of money into it hoping to turn it around just in time for lightened covid restrictions. They’ve been open and have been amazing but now you have to completely close for more than a month

Fuck, terrible
Is there any reason why they can't do take out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #9681

Certain types of food are made for takeout, certain types turn to shit the moment they are in a box due to condensation, the way ingredients break down, etc.
Especially in the case of straight and marrow (a brand new restaurant) or smaller, fine dining establishments like Barbara, it takes a complete business model/menu shift to make it work. Then you have to market yourself as something totally different for a short time, and that takes a lot to build momentum. Not to mention, I don’t, and most people don’t want to spend $150 on takeout for 2 but have no problem spending that in a restaurant regularly. It’s quite complicated, and you really can’t build traction quickly enough.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-15-2021, 11:20 AM   #9682

A big thing with them too was presentation.

Small, well presented plates and the chef plates them in a manner that tastes, sauces, etc. Are balanced. A plate might be only 5-6 bites in some cases.

It’s perfect when you’re sitting down with a glass of wine and eating course after course, but it would seem kinda shit to take home small little containers that have slid around and made a mess (not to say it would taste any different but it’s kind of a detriment to the restaurant as a whole to present their food in this way imo)
Old 04-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #9683
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^ OK, that I'm not understanding. That is disgusting actually. How does waste water pipe kick up aerosol particles ... and if that is an issue, you mean people be breathing in people's pee and poo vapours ... even before cases of Covid transmission were known ?? I hope Canadian construction has higher standards and codes.
My memory is a little hazy on the details, so this probably isn't 100% accurate. From what I can remember though, in one of the vertical transmission cases, the U-joint at the bottom of the waste water pipe wasn't installed correctly, or was somehow defectively installed, so it was exactly as CB has said. In another case, the waste water pipes on the outside of the building, but still within this "sky well" structure, was poorly maintained.

Even back in the SARS days, there was vertical transmission incidents happening in Hong Kong as well (Amoy Gardens), though I don't remember the details of that anymore since it was so long ago (2003?).
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:55 PM   #9684
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
-was watching Dr. Henry's Covid update today.

Chart showing rate of infectious contacts. Scary chart. 54 percent infectious contact rate.

Dr. B' stressed that the amount of social gatherings that lead to infection is too high.

Transmission of Covid among school students is happening outside of the school/classroom setting. -reflection of the Covid transmission in the student's community outside of the school.

If there is one Covid case in a school, she said it leads to a second Covid case inside the school setting.
-low rate of Covid transmission inside schools.

New Covid cases are happening the highest in the age group 19 to 39 years old.

409 Covid patients in hospital are mainly people in age range 40 to 79.

1205 new cases.
3 deaths.

125 people in ICU.

49 percent of all variant cases in BC are the P1 Brazilian variant.

Why is "Tonne of Bricks" Horgan not doing more to ensure our infectious contact rate among BC residents goes down? All talk and not much to show for it from "Hulk" Horgan now.

IMO, BC should have had a 28 day lockdown in the winter just like Ontario in order to stop the spread of the UK, South African, and Brazilian variants.

Doug Ford has the balls to impose a lockdown during the winter but not Horgan.

Last edited by pastarocket; 04-15-2021 at 02:39 PM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:35 PM   #9685
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Doug Ford's solution isn't the "Made for BC solution"
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:36 PM   #9686
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,725 Times in 893 Posts
Wasn't so good to vote for NDP now was it
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:55 PM   #9687
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
My memory is a little hazy on the details, so this probably isn't 100% accurate. From what I can remember though, in one of the vertical transmission cases, the U-joint at the bottom of the waste water pipe wasn't installed correctly, or was somehow defectively installed, so it was exactly as CB has said. In another case, the waste water pipes on the outside of the building, but still within this "sky well" structure, was poorly maintained.

Even back in the SARS days, there was vertical transmission incidents happening in Hong Kong as well (Amoy Gardens), though I don't remember the details of that anymore since it was so long ago (2003?).
Yup that's what happened at Amoy, the u-pipes were drying out. So essentially a vertical row of all the flats had free airflow between them, in the bathrooms. That's how they had the biggest SARS outbreak at the time.

So far I think it has happened with Covid once at another residence.

Poo carries a lot of the virus, so bathrooms can be a pretty big place to spread it. They tell you to close the lid when you flush, but I have just been avoiding public bathrooms entirely.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:03 PM   #9688
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Ontario bus doing shitty. Even with lockdowns in place they are having record infections. https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/on...rces-1.5388838
Old 04-15-2021, 03:12 PM   #9689
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,416 Times in 5,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Yup that's what happened at Amoy, the u-pipes were drying out. So essentially a vertical row of all the flats had free airflow between them, in the bathrooms. That's how they had the biggest SARS outbreak at the time.
Sheesh...

I'm on the first floor, everyone's shit raining down on me!

But if its aerosols.............. am one infecting
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:37 PM   #9690

Half assed lock down = half assed results. Typical Canadian as least you tried mentality. Sprinkle in some human rights on the special flowers so they don't get their feelings hurt and this is what you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Ontario bus doing shitty. Even with lockdowns in place they are having record infections. https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/on...rces-1.5388838
Old 04-15-2021, 03:37 PM   #9691
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Henry also discouraged outdoor gatherings with people outside of one's own household — though outdoor gatherings with up to 10 people are currently allowed under B.C.'s health restrictions.

"Even if we can see people outside of our household, we shouldn't. Outside is lower risk, it's not zero, but it's lower risk," she said.

"If you're going to be in close contact, wear a mask, even if it is outside ... Risk is not zero if you're sitting on a patio, but the risk is less."
Why are her messages always like this. You're allowed to it, but don't do it.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #9692

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Half assed lock down = half assed results. Typical Canadian as least you tried mentality. Sprinkle in some human rights on the special flowers so they don't get their feelings hurt and this is what you get.
I don’t really understand what type of lockdown you’re asking for?

TO was basically stay at home, don’t go out, non-essential businesses closed period.

The spread happens from people gathering as it is here. There is virtually no way to police private gatherings other than increasing fines to some astronomical figure and they won’t get paid anyways.

“Essential” people still need to go to work, they still need transit etc. It’s not even about an economy or anything at that point it’s about society as a whole cannot even function on a basic level of those things aren’t going
Old 04-15-2021, 03:48 PM   #9693
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/15/pfiz...12-months.html

The Pfizer CEO is saying we'll likely need another shot within 12 months of getting fully vaccinated

He also said it's a possibility we'll need to get a yearly booster shot
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:57 PM   #9694
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
every time you post you're incredibly negative.

but sometimes when you post you double-down and really shit on "typical canada"

"typical canada" is what most of us? like best about it. We've got problems for sure - but if you're being honest, what is it about this place that makes you so salty about it all the time?

you're an adult (I assume) you can change your circumstance any time you want to. if something is really bothering you - make a change.

(unless RS is just your venting spot - if so, have at it)
The Producer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2021, 04:11 PM   #9695
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Certain types of food are made for takeout, certain types turn to shit the moment they are in a box due to condensation, the way ingredients break down, etc.
Especially in the case of straight and marrow (a brand new restaurant) or smaller, fine dining establishments like Barbara, it takes a complete business model/menu shift to make it work. Then you have to market yourself as something totally different for a short time, and that takes a lot to build momentum. Not to mention, I don’t, and most people don’t want to spend $150 on takeout for 2 but have no problem spending that in a restaurant regularly. It’s quite complicated, and you really can’t build traction quickly enough.
Quote:
A big thing with them too was presentation.

Small, well presented plates and the chef plates them in a manner that tastes, sauces, etc. Are balanced. A plate might be only 5-6 bites in some cases.

It’s perfect when you’re sitting down with a glass of wine and eating course after course, but it would seem kinda shit to take home small little containers that have slid around and made a mess (not to say it would taste any different but it’s kind of a detriment to the restaurant as a whole to present their food in this way imo)
From a personal perspective, obviously we never imagined COVID happening this lifetime. We worked and built up 16 years on the concept of place for fun drinking groups, big corporate and birthday parties. Now we have all this leased space (4200+ sq ft) we have to pay for but restricted to 5 tables on the patio. Take-out has tripled but not even close to covering the losses of dine-in and :shots:.
Westopher hit it on the nail, not easy to change concepts and perceptions on the fly and have it build momentum. We are not a little mom and pop take-out sushi joint by any stretch.
I'm sure places slamming out cheap and big chunks like Sushi Garden or Samurai are doing well.

I can only imagine other places like hotpot joints and steak houses are suffering more than the "average" too.
As much as I would like to support fellow industry, I for one cannot imagine ordering either of those as takeout.
Might as well hit up T&T and buy a bunch of ingredients if you are doing hot pot at home.
I tend to go steak houses for the experience and the ambiance. Steaks are so easy to make at home. I won't be paying $55 for a lukewarm slab of ribeye in a paper box when I can easily sear a juicy one at home for $16.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:22 PM   #9696

Thanked 4,796 Times in 1,762 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, the fact that we have these more transmissible variants in the country in the first place represents a massive failure by the government. These variants never should have been let in. Why the hell were we still allowing so many international daily flights into the country? And then the whole COVID hotel thing was implemented so late and shitty it was like closing the barn doors after the horses already left.

So now if they want to talk about stay at home orders, they can get fucked. Going and tending to my garden plot or taking walk around the neighbourhood where there's no one within hundreds of feet of me is not going to get me covid, and I won't have it.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:03 PM   #9697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the fact that we have these more transmissible variants in the country in the first place represents a massive failure by the government. These variants never should have been let in. Why the hell were we still allowing so many international daily flights into the country? And then the whole COVID hotel thing was implemented so late and shitty it was like closing the barn doors after the horses already left.
In case you haven't read about this one yet, we have Trudeau and Hajdu to thank again for relaxing travel restrictions for people flying in from Brazil.

Seriously, what the fuking hell are they thinking?! Just because our house is already on a small scale fire means we can welcome burning wooden crates getting dropped off in our living room?!

Seriously, fuk you, Trudeau!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...riants-spread/
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2021, 06:15 PM   #9698
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
1200 cases today
750 in Fraser health
69 in interior health

People talking about closing the border with Alberta, how about closing non essential travel east of chiliwack
Old 04-15-2021, 06:29 PM   #9699

^ can't because freedom. I'm tired of this bs. This is a sinking ship, but they insist on trying to stay afloat using buckets when you need industrial pumps.

It's like something even a 5 year old kid will not fuck up like this. If a kid has burned their hand on a boiling pot they will not keep trying to touch or poke the pot. Yet the gov is repeatedly continuing to touch the boiling pot. Especially when other kids and adults have told them to not fuck with the pot.

WE'RE FUCKING DOING WORSE THAN THE USA, NUFF SAID, can't get worse than that, yet we are and will continue to get worse.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:39 PM   #9700

We don't have to close any of the inter-provincial borders. All we need to do is to impose a mandatory 14-day quarantine for all incoming travelers just like Manitoba and the Maritime provinces have done, and the incoming traveler count will drop significantly.

But nope. Ton-of-bricks Horgan wouldn't do that. I really can't understand why.