REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:20 AM   #9651
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts

study: https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/10.1148/radiol.2020203557

That made me curious what the standard rate of blood clots is, and I found this: https://www.stoptheclot.org/blood-cl...united-states/

Quote:
On Average, 274 People Die Every Day from Blood Clots

- 107 to 130 cases of potentially deadly blood clots occurred each year per 100,000 Caucasian individuals from 1985 through 2002. This translates into about 1 to 3 cases per 1,000 people.
- 250,000 cases of potentially deadly blood clots, such as deep vein thrombosis or DVT, occurred each year between 1966 through 1990.
- 900,000 cases per year are now suggested by recent scientific modeling and public health statistics.
- 100,000 to 300,000 deaths from blood clots occur each year, which is greater than the total number of people who lose their lives each year to AIDS, breast cancer, and motor vehicle crashes combined.
1-3 per 1000 people is 0.1-0.3%. Granted that includes the birth control and the smokers but that just makes the increase in risk of a clot from the vaccine is even more minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
She won't get the AZ or J&J vaccine because of blood clots but has no idea what the percentage is, only that some ppl had blood clots.
She doesn't think covid is that bad and that the news is fear mongering.
I've seen that from a few people who kept spouting how people "shouldn't live in fear" but now they're scared of the vaccine. Who's living in fear now?
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #9652
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Quote:
Just had the stupidest debate about this with a coworker who travelled to SD, posts on IG pictures of her and her running friends hugging and kissing, and loves to post #don'tletcovidstopyou

She won't get the AZ or J&J vaccine because of blood clots but has no idea what the percentage is, only that some ppl had blood clots.
She doesn't think covid is that bad and that the news is fear mongering.
And most importantly, she knows 1 nurse who said their hospital was empty.

I told her, it's not about the virus killing people, its the fact that if more ppl have covid, that increases the number of people who need to go to the hospital and there is a finite number of beds, ventilators, nurses and doctors. I even reminded her all the times where nurses said they were overworked and patients were lining hallways and Timmy's because they were out of rooms.

Are ppl really that dumb?
Yes
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:37 AM   #9653
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,713 Times in 1,054 Posts
decided a couple of weeks ago that I would only post here w good news.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/04...fety-concerns/

Health Canada has deemed the AZ vaccine to once again be safe to use for all adults.

Quote:
Health Canada says the risk of getting the blood clot is four in one million.
Those are odds I'm happy to get behind. Hopefully this will further speed up the vaccination plan for BC.
The Producer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2021, 11:54 AM   #9654
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
How many people are going to walk out when they find out they're about to get that Astra shot lol, the damage has been done politically no matter what Health Canada says
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2021, 12:24 PM   #9655
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Give it to the Whistler folks and all the other hot spots. They shouldn't be rewarded for their bad behavior but this should be a fair compromise.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2021, 12:31 PM   #9656
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
the bad behavior is pretty much everyone from rest of BC and from ON/QC
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #9657
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
the bad behavior is pretty much everyone from rest of BC and from ON/QC
Don't forget Alberta and Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:30 PM   #9658
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
I can confirm that the covid ward is getting obscene amounts of blood thinners to combat the clots caused by the virus. Subcutaneous injections of Enoxaparin twice a day basically for the duration of their stay in hospital.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #9659
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Are ppl really that dumb?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #9660
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Dayammm ... 1168 new cases today.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:28 PM   #9661
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
I am currently getting over covid. It was not pleasant and kicked my ass worse than anything I've experienced since childhood. Eventually I had chills, massive body and head aches, and temps over 38. I have a lingering cough, tiredness, and just got over a stuffed/runny nose. It has been over 2 weeks since quarantine began, which I had to do with my 6yr old son who also had it. Thankfully, despite his many serious health issues at an early age, he had very mild symptoms which ended within a matter of days. I am pretty active, healthy, with no underlying health issues.

If you think I was flouting the restrictions and recommendations, you are wrong. I followed them to the letter from day one. After my son's mother wrongly attempted to keep me from having access to my son as the pandemic began, I decided to not do anything to risk that access in any way. My friends kept inviting me over and I was so paranoid that a noise violation would have the cops handing out tickets, so I said no. I rarely go out in public and wear a mask when I do, wash my hands, etc. Before getting covid, I hadn't seen my friends in several months, I hadn't seen my parents since last August. My dad has battled stage 4 cancer and while he has done well, his time on this earth is limited, according to statistics on the survival rate. I want to see him more than anything. He and my mom just got their vaccines today (Moderna). Still have to wait for the 2nd dose, my and my son's own doses x2, and who knows what else before we are allowed to see each other again.

PS: I did ask Frazer Health which strain my son had, and all they could say was that it wasn't a variant, thankfully. It seems that kind of information is not easily given and I had to press to get even that. I do have to commend them on being readily available at all times, as I never had to wait when calling them.
Hoping for a speedy recovery! If you don't mind me asking, just curious would you have the slightest clue where you might have contracted the virus given you have been pretty safe?
Personally I've also known some really safe people catching it. One of these cases was a girl that is pretty much a stay at home mom. She ended up catching it from her basement tenant, they talked briefly by the front door when the tenant gave her a slice of a birthday cake.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:19 PM   #9662
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Restaurant industry groups that met with provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry on Tuesday tell CTV News they expect current bans on indoor dining will extended into May.
I guess I'll just go by this when it comes to ordering food, supplies and staff scheduling. Leave it to Bonnie to again announce new or extended restrictions with less than 24 hour notice cuz of course restaurants can just flip a switch and change everything at the drop of a dime.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:02 PM   #9663
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
It was also announced by Bonnie, 3 cases in a workplace and its shutdown. Literature reads a single case! Seems to be a few large minute changes going on.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:43 PM   #9664
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
I know of a major workplace with a whole crew that's covid positive (5+ ppl) there workstation was sanitized but no shutdown... Hmm and this happened this past week
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:48 PM   #9665
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Hoping for a speedy recovery! If you don't mind me asking, just curious would you have the slightest clue where you might have contracted the virus given you have been pretty safe?
Personally I've also known some really safe people catching it. One of these cases was a girl that is pretty much a stay at home mom. She ended up catching it from her basement tenant, they talked briefly by the front door when the tenant gave her a slice of a birthday cake.
masks on?
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:43 AM   #9666

Hearing anecdotal stories that families who have been ultra cautious, WFH, masks, no hanging out with people outside, etc. have caught it ... this variant seems to be transmittable by airborne. Another story of someone who caught it living on main floor from a tenant living downstairs who was positive. Damn ... if that's the case, what about the possibility of living in a high rise condo!
Old 04-15-2021, 07:59 AM   #9667
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,324 Times in 5,641 Posts
Sounds like being cautious don’t work!

Heard of TWO different 20+ person hot pot parties last weekend, don’t worry though, most of the attendees already had covid
Old 04-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #9668
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,691 Posts
A colleague told me that Dr. Bonnie is holding a news conference today at 10am.

-not the usual 3pm-ish news conference. The Covid update gets moved up much earlier for today.

Hmmmm.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:11 AM   #9669
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
A colleague told me that Dr. Bonnie is holding a news conference today at 10am.

-not the usual 3pm-ish news conference. The Covid update gets moved up much earlier for today.

Hmmmm.
A simple google search would tell you that it's at 2pm which will include a modelling presentation (why it's set an hour early)

Old 04-15-2021, 09:34 AM   #9670

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
So why aren't they announcing a shut down, apparently medical experts from both SFU and UBC says by may our hospitals will run out of capacity if the rates continues at our current trends. Which I see no reason for the trend to go down, even if they continue to vaccinate as it takes 2 weeks for the vaccine to take effect assuming it is 100% effective which it is not.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:46 AM   #9671
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
I am reasonably sure that there have already been cases in Hong Kong where transmissions occurred in high rises where the same unit on different floors were affected. The suspected medium of transmission there were the waste water pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Hearing anecdotal stories that families who have been ultra cautious, WFH, masks, no hanging out with people outside, etc. have caught it ... this variant seems to be transmittable by airborne. Another story of someone who caught it living on main floor from a tenant living downstairs who was positive. Damn ... if that's the case, what about the possibility of living in a high rise condo!
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:48 AM   #9672
linguistic ninja

IIRC those wastewater pipes were constructed in a substandard way, resulting in transmission across different units. Gross.

Close your toilet lids before you flush, people.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:50 AM   #9673
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,324 Times in 5,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
So why aren't they announcing a shut down, apparently medical experts from both SFU and UBC says by may our hospitals will run out of capacity if the rates continues at our current trends. Which I see no reason for the trend to go down, even if they continue to vaccinate as it takes 2 weeks for the vaccine to take effect assuming it is 100% effective which it is not.
Restaurants are closed though, so we should be in the clear?
Old 04-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #9674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I am reasonably sure that there have already been cases in Hong Kong where transmissions occurred in high rises where the same unit on different floors were affected. The suspected medium of transmission there were the waste water pipes.
^ OK, that I'm not understanding. That is disgusting actually. How does waste water pipe kick up aerosol particles ... and if that is an issue, you mean people be breathing in people's pee and poo vapours ... even before cases of Covid transmission were known ?? I hope Canadian construction has higher standards and codes.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:52 AM   #9675

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
^^ not restaurants in Surrey, and Surrey weddings
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote