REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:11 PM   #251
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
So some of you may remember Kevin Newman, he used to be the global national anchor.

He’s since retired and works for a non-profit doing work in war-torn countries. He was on the radio yesterday speaking of Canada’s “attempt” to get people out. He said basically you had to have an internet connection in order to access this secure portal to get your paper work etc. Done. You were then instructed to make your way to the airport

He said he was in contact with Canadians and people who had filed the proper paperwork but they were being turned away at the airport because their papers were not in colour…

He said just over 2000 people had gotten the proper documentation and now Canada is saying barley 1000 people got out. So basically half the people who were eligible did not get out.

He always seemed like a pretty straight forward guy and if he’s working for non-profits I don’t really see him having any reason to lie or make Trudeau etc. Look bad. If what he was saying is true it’s pretty fucking terrible..
Oh I remember Kevin, he retired from news cause he couldn't deal with reporting negative news.

I don't blame canada for the rules and regulations. Yes the situation is bad and it doesn't seem legit on minor detail on what you describled.

Not sure if it's cause to prevent fraud or why they are so strict, I'm assuming rules are rules, just like how you can't use your passport if the pages are wet. Learned it the hard way. Had to stay until they issue an emergency passport and waited for days.

But yes, they situation they are in now is a totally diff.
Advertisement
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:50 PM   #252

Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,909 Posts
Biden says US will defend Taiwan if China attacks

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-59005300

You sure you want to get involved here?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:51 PM   #253
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,452 Times in 5,114 Posts
I'm glad he's saying it straight... and I hope if China does attack Taiwan that the whole world comes to their defense. USA, Canada, Australia, England, Western Europe, Philippines you name it...

Non-response to China's type of rhetoric and eventual military actions is what led to WW2.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #254
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
The Taiwan Strait is a major shipping route accounting for something to the tune of 60%+ of all international marine shipping. Taiwan is also the largest semiconductor manufacturer, and produces the bulk of the top tier semiconductor chips. US is trying to build up some sizable semiconductor manufacturing capacity in Arizona, but that is going to take time -- quite a bit of time, if you ask me, easily in the range of 10+ years to have a mature and stable manufacturing capacity, 5+ years for the factories to come online. So at this point, if the US were to lose Taiwan to Communist China, it pretty much has to hand over its World Leader title to China, so it really has no choice but to come out and defend Taiwan. For the rest of the Western World, if Taiwan is lost to China, they would have to submit themselves to China and its ridiculous wishes as well. So I hope they would really come to their senses and put up a united front with the US against China now, not 5 years later when shxt start hitting the fan.

Currently, China does not have the capacity to invade Taiwan yet. But various news reports are suggesting that they plan to do so, or would at least have the capacity to do so in 5 - 6 years. That 5 - 6 year time frame also coincides with Emperor Xi getting old -- he is currently 68 now, and there is no doubt in my mind that Xi is infatuated with the grand dream of uniting the One Great China. As people get old, they increasingly lose their mental capacity, esp temper and self control. All of that adds up to a dangerous combination where Xi might just be crazy enough to try something dumb. (As if he hasn't done enough dumb things thus far in his reign...)
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2021, 03:32 AM   #255
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I'm glad he's saying it straight... and I hope if China does attack Taiwan that the whole world comes to their defense. USA, Canada, Australia, England, Western Europe, Philippines you name it...

Non-response to China's type of rhetoric and eventual military actions is what led to WW2.
The World is already repeating the bs of ww2, they're ignoring the reports of the Uyghur treatment. Corporations are inspecting their factories with Uyghur workers and going /shrug "all good here", like corporations/politicians did with German factories and Jews

If things actually come to a head, at the end of it ppl will act surprised again, and blame ignorance/lack of details, and then give a song n dance about "never again"
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2021, 10:34 AM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
The World is already repeating the bs of ww2, they're ignoring the reports of the Uyghur treatment. Corporations are inspecting their factories with Uyghur workers and going /shrug "all good here", like corporations/politicians did with German factories and Jews

If things actually come to a head, at the end of it ppl will act surprised again, and blame ignorance/lack of details, and then give a song n dance about "never again"
As far as Uyghur ethnic prosecution / genocide is concerned, there is no shortage of details -- whether it is first hand accounts, stats, and even veiled admission from official Chinese figures. It's a matter of whether there are any tangible incentives for the West to intervene, and whether the West is willing to turn its attention to the evidence.

I have probably said so before -- the current Communist China is very much like Nazi Germany before WW2 in a lot of ways, and I am continually disappointed to see that much of Europe seems to prefer retracing Neville Chamberlain's footsteps instead of doing what Winston Churchill did.

But at least the US is making a stance now, and has convinced Australia and Japan to join the China containment efforts.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2021, 11:50 AM   #257

Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,909 Posts
Calling China out on the Uyghur persecution is the right thing to do ... but it would certainly come across better if we weren't cleaning up our own sh*t with how Canadian government treated (and are continuing to treat) the indigenous here.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2021, 05:56 PM   #258
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Old 10-23-2021, 11:02 PM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Calling China out on the Uyghur persecution is the right thing to do ... but it would certainly come across better if we weren't cleaning up our own sh*t with how Canadian government treated (and are continuing to treat) the indigenous here.
Residential schools are absolutely something every Canadian should be ashamed of -- there is no question about that. The thing with calling out China on their purging of Uyghur -- among other things -- is, the genocide is happening now. Whereas with residential schools, the last of it closed down in the late 90's.

So is it more important to make amends to a tragedy that has already taken place? or would it be better to do something that could potentially stop / slow a tragedy that is happening right now?
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2021, 06:50 AM   #260
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Canada’s poor treatment of indigenous people certainly didn’t end with residential schools.
Look at what happened to Joyce Echequan in Quebec.
I agree though it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t stand up for what’s right just because Canada is not doing well at rectifying it’s own wrongs.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:52 PM   #261
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Canada’s poor treatment of indigenous people certainly didn’t end with residential schools.
Look at what happened to Joyce Echequan in Quebec.
I agree though it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t stand up for what’s right just because Canada is not doing well at rectifying it’s own wrongs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatoon_freezing_deaths

Quote:
The police officers would arrest Indigenous people, usually men, for alleged drunkenness and/or disorderly behaviour, sometimes without cause; the officers would then drive them to the outskirts of the city at night in the winter, take their clothing, and abandon them, leaving them stranded in sub-zero temperatures.

The practice was known as taking Indigenous people for "starlight tours" and dates back to 1976. As of 2021, despite convictions for related offences, no Saskatoon police officer has been convicted specifically for having caused freezing deaths.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #262

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
It would, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be doing it. The US, Australia and Japan don't exactly have great historical/current treatment of their indigenous populations either.

Who are you worried about it coming across better to anyways? China, the ones doing the persecuting?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:15 PM   #263

And they say they are not racist.
Her husband was also convinced of showing his weiner to under age girls. He also started dating his wife when she was a teenager. He was in his 20's.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:46 AM   #264
Performance Moderator

Besides the obvious racism, what is she even doing? Did those guys elect a politician or did they elect a not funny stand up comedian? Did she ever get around to talking to any policy?

She’s insinuating that Rep. Omar doesn’t work hard… what’s she doing besides telling suicide bomber jokes in heels at a country tavern?

She’s had plenty of interactions with police herself too.. waste of space.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2021, 06:12 PM   #265

Saw this on reddit.

Quote:
Just a reminder that she's trying to distract you from her campaign funding fraud, her potential connection to election fraud, indirect bribery (her husband got over a mil in consulting fees for something he isn't remotely qualified for), and the fact someone was paid to take the GED test for her after she failed it twice.
And people where making fun of AOC for working as a waitress and bar tender to pay for university.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:15 PM   #266
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
What a despicable person
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:42 PM   #267
Performance Moderator

Add her to the list of people that would make me shrug and say “anyways” if I heard they fell off the face of the earth
Old 11-29-2021, 04:06 PM   #268

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:37 PM   #269

LOL~ Well done, Joe~ Well done LOL~

Biden answers inflation query by calling Fox reporter SOB
https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/0...orter-swearing
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2022, 11:24 AM   #270

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2030602.html

Ex-Rand Paul aide pardoned by Trump is charged with funneling Russian money into 2016 election

Quote:
A former campaign staffer and the grandson-in-law of US Senator Rand Paul who received a presidential pardon from former President Donald Trump has been charged with directing Russian money into the 2016 presidential election, according to the US Department of Justice.

The announcement came on Monday via an unseal indictment from 9 September.

Business Insider reports that Jesse Benton, Mr Paul's former aide, "conspired to illegally funnel thousands of dollars of foreign money from a Russian foreign national" into the 2016 campaign.
Follow the latest updates on Trump

He also managed Senator Mitch McConnell's 2014 campaign
Old 03-08-2022, 02:37 PM   #271
Performance Moderator

Amazing that this information somehow passed by the scrutiny of "I'm an eye doctor" Dr. Rand Paul apparently sight unseen.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:32 PM   #272
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,383 Times in 1,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post

Ex-Rand Paul aide pardoned by Trump is charged with funneling Russian money into 2016 election
Ok, I'll ask. How the hell does one have a grandson-in-law at the age of 59? His kids are like 30.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 03:49 PM   #273
Performance Moderator

It's Ron Paul's grandson-in-law lol
Old 03-08-2022, 09:33 PM   #274

LOL!!! what a loser. So many people willing to break the law for trump.

Old 03-09-2022, 08:12 AM   #275
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,579 Times in 1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post

Of course he managed Moscow Mitch's campaign

I swear man, Americans that vote Republican and not see the song and dance they're playing on them is wild to me.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: