REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-02-2021, 12:30 AM   #201
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
I don’t follow politics closely but does anything ever get accomplished or is it just mud slinging and undoing each others work every few years? Seems like an archaic system formed when populations have grown 10x and 100x.

left or right which are stupid terms to begin with. If you want 3 bathrooms or if you target practice with your kids while camping you are given a label and everyone assumes the rest of your views follow the mainstream of the side they associate your opinions with. Tribal mentality. One party could have a great idea but because it’s the opposing tribe for someone it’s terrible. Seems to me like stabbing someone for wearing the opposing teams jersey.

Formula 1 doesn’t go to the Chevy or Toyota dealership and use a cavalier or camry. Everything is cherry picked best of the best. Like drafting an Allstar team.

Leader: the rock
Minister of finance: warren buffet
Minister of defence: gsp
Minister of immigration: Arnold Schwarzenegger
Minister of climate change: Elon musk
Minister of education: Stephen hawking
Minister of women’s stuff: Oprah
Minister of medical: Elizabeth Blackwell
Minister of business: Andy frisella

Is a system where you could vote on the main topics even possible?
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #202
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

because of his deadline to pull out of Afghanistan, the Taliban took over in 2 weeks. They are the new government now. The current president took off. After 20 or so years of US occupation, it's like nothing happened
SuperAman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #203
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Well the only problem the US ever had with the taliban was the claim that the taliban wouldn't give Osama up

The taliban have already allied with China, and they surrounded Kabul peacefully, promised women's rights, are allowing anyone who wants to evacuate kabul to do so, and are allowing the afghan military/police to return to their homes

So far at least, it seems theyre singing a different tune
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:16 AM   #204
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Well the only problem the US ever had with the taliban was the claim that the taliban wouldn't give Osama up

The taliban have already allied with China, and they surrounded Kabul peacefully, promised women's rights, are allowing anyone who wants to evacuate kabul to do so, and are allowing the afghan military/police to return to their homes

So far at least, it seems theyre singing a different tune
They banned the covid vaccine, execute surrendering soldiers, and kidnap girls to make them brides.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:23 AM   #205
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
They banned the covid vaccine, execute surrendering soldiers, and kidnap girls to make them brides.
Didn't hear about that until your msg

Maybe a not so different tune then

https://www.wsj.com/articles/afghans...as-11628780820
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 12:44 PM   #206
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Kabul airport under fire

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Int...diplomats-flee
SnK1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 02:12 PM   #207
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Everybody have been wanting USA to stop being the world police. And well here we finally are.

Probabaly going to look back in a decade or so and realize how bad of a move is. Afghanistan Is going to become the playground for everything anti American.

The scariest thing is just letting the next world superpower do as they may with a known terrorist group with a history of hatred towards the west.

Anybody else see this as the beginning of the end for USA’s influence on the world.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post

Probabaly going to look back in a decade or so and realize how bad of a move is. Afghanistan Is going to become the playground for everything anti American.
I thought Iran was the playground for everything anti American?
Old 08-15-2021, 02:33 PM   #209
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
I thought Iran was the playground for everything anti American?
The playground just got much much bigger lol
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:26 PM   #210
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
few soldiers told me Afghanistan was haunted AF, that the whole place was pretty much a mass grave yard from so many empires that've tried to concur it..

def read up on the crazy shit that people seen or experienced.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/might...l-experiences/
Old 08-15-2021, 04:49 PM   #211
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
That place is fucked. Whether they pulled out now or another 20 years from now, it's fucked.

Places like Canada and America need to take in as many Afghanis as they can to get out of that. That's the only thing we can do because trying to "make peace" is never going to work.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #212
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I think the best course is to let a guy like Putin take over...he can rule that place and he will kill if has to, look he has no problems invading other places so why not. at least that might be a stable place.
countries like Afghanistan has too much hate towards Western societies and will always be fucked, unless a ruthless dictator comes in to fuck them over.

US, Canada, Great Britain..too many hippies running the show
SuperAman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-15-2021, 05:55 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAman View Post
I think the best course is to let a guy like Putin take over...he can rule that place and he will kill if has to, look he has no problems invading other places so why not. at least that might be a stable place.
countries like Afghanistan has too much hate towards Western societies and will always be fucked, unless a ruthless dictator comes in to fuck them over.

US, Canada, Great Britain..too many hippies running the show
The Soviet Union tried and failed. It's hard to beat someone if they don't care if they die. Afghanistan use to be a pretty modern place before the Soviets and the US showed up.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:50 PM   #214
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
The Soviet Union tried and failed. It's hard to beat someone if they don't care if they die. Afghanistan use to be a pretty modern place before the Soviets and the US showed up.
Exactly. 20 years of war and development. Ppl lives are still poor, they have nothing to lose. They turn to extremism for survival.

Give the people wealth and soemthing to live for and you don’t have the crazies anymore. They be you’re crazy, I’m not going to die for your stupid cause.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #215
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,585 Times in 1,725 Posts
It's kind of funny watching Republicans cry about this being Biden's Saigon

FFS, as he said, there is never a good time to leave, the mission has long been done, trillions wasted. You can't save a country that doesn't want to be saved. Any withdrawal was going to be messy.

The only thing I think he could be doing better is doing right by their interpreters. These people were promised citizenship for their assistance, fast track them the fuck out of there, that is the least the US can do.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #216
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
It wasn’t money wasted.
Trillions of dollars injected into military supply and weapons manufactures, which loaded republican campaigns and created high paying lobbyist positions for ex politicians. Profit!
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2021, 05:35 PM   #217
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,355 Times in 5,656 Posts
Can’t wait for 9/11 2.0

There was no winning. Even if you flattened the country with international support groups would rise from the ashes
Old 08-17-2021, 05:42 PM   #218

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
Was outright regime change ever really the USA's goal for Afghanistan?

Like they went in because the Taliban was harbouring Al Queda and wouldn't give up Bin Laden. Booting the Taliban at that time was just a consequence to their goal of destroying Al Queda.

If the Taliban gave up Bin Laden and the other Al Queda people, would the US still have invaded and taken over like they did?

The did at least accomplish heavy destruction of Al Queda. The question is, will something more radical now take its place?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:38 PM   #219

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Exactly. 20 years of war and development. Ppl lives are still poor, they have nothing to lose. They turn to extremism for survival.

Give the people wealth and soemthing to live for and you don’t have the crazies anymore. They be you’re crazy, I’m not going to die for your stupid cause.
It was a lot more than 20 years. iirc the Soviets started fucking around back in the 70's.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2021, 08:00 PM   #220
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
Instead of it being Biden's Saigon, I'd say it is more of America's Saigon version 2.0.

Despite the assurances that the Taliban has offered, esp when it comes to women rights, I literally have zero trust in what the Taliban representatives have said. When it comes to governments and regimes, I judge them based on what they do, not what they say they'd do. And so far, Taliban's actions when it comes to women rights is anything but convincing.

On the international front, I'd say the international community that relies on the US for "protection" -- Japan, Philippines, and Taiwan readily comes to mind -- would have second guesses about the US' credibility to stand up to its words, and offer the protection and assurances against regional bullies (ie. China). Esp for Taiwan, the biggest backer that they have always thought they had is the US. But Afghanistan has shown that the US can just pull out when it wants to pull out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
It's kind of funny watching Republicans cry about this being Biden's Saigon

FFS, as he said, there is never a good time to leave, the mission has long been done, trillions wasted. You can't save a country that doesn't want to be saved. Any withdrawal was going to be messy.

The only thing I think he could be doing better is doing right by their interpreters. These people were promised citizenship for their assistance, fast track them the fuck out of there, that is the least the US can do.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2021, 10:14 PM   #221
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,699 Times in 1,626 Posts
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Was outright regime change ever really the USA's goal for Afghanistan?

Like they went in because the Taliban was harbouring Al Queda and wouldn't give up Bin Laden. Booting the Taliban at that time was just a consequence to their goal of destroying Al Queda.

If the Taliban gave up Bin Laden and the other Al Queda people, would the US still have invaded and taken over like they did?

The did at least accomplish heavy destruction of Al Queda. The question is, will something more radical now take its place?
I don't think we'll ever truly know what the goal was for Afghanistan, and Iraq for that matter.

I highly doubt the higher ups ever truly felt that going there would ever fix the problem of "Islamic Terrorism", or win any hearts and minds.

From the myriad of reports and first hand information from officials during the Bush era, this was simply an orchestrated money making project for the defense industry, monied investors/speculators, and the like. Also a means of setting up a larger footprint in the Middle East, notably in Iraq.

This was a major windfall for some industries, which completely destabilized two countries, both of which will never be the same. History will write those decades as a complete waste, and if anything made the Middle East far worse off.

In reality the whole thing is quite sad in many ways.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:37 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
The same people crying about Biden needing to help these people are the same Trumpers who decried Syrian refugees, Latin-American refugees/immigrants, etc.

How convenient they now have a bleeding heart for Afghanis

People and politics just suck nowadays.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #224

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
The Rex Murphy article in national post was the perfect example of this bullshit. Saying Trudeau is a monster for calling an election when people are suffering as a result of us all pulling out of Afghanistan. The same Rex Murphy that thinks immigrants ruin Canada.
Just like that, Conservatives care about refugees. The same ones that became pro choice when vaccines came out.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2021, 12:53 PM   #225
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,389 Times in 1,233 Posts
Or all the Conservatives who didn't give a shit about Gitmo/Refugee camps/BuLD a WaLl!! KeEp ThEm oUt!! but are climbing over each other now to bitch about China's treatment of Uyghurs.

Oh so you care about Muslims now?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: